When is the update?

I had this interesting idea of how Klei can have some communication with the community about ongoing updates. For QOL updates have a pol 2 days or so before the release of the content asking the community,"Klei: We got most of the stuff finished, we wanted to implement some general features, but we didn't have enough time to do so, is it okay if we take an additional week(s) to complete them or postpone for the next QOL?". It will also be like a mini-tease for the upcoming updates. What do you think?

Generally, we provide information as soon as it's solid. We don't provide information before that so we can keep the option open to change our minds. 

I didn't announce the QOL update ahead of time last time either because I don't really feel like it's something to promote.

When we do a big update, we do a cool trailer, we update all our art of the steam page, we do skins and all kinds of rewards and try to come up with a cool, substantial update that is something interesting and worth your time and attention. In the case of a QOL update and the reason we do them, if we did all that same stuff, those resources aren't being saved for the bigger more substantial content updates. 

That being said. The QOL updates are definitely something we are trying to make interesting and worth doing, but if we try to get you excited about it, we run the risk of disappointing you. Literally, they are crammed with as much as we can accomplish with the limited resources we have to spare while we are working on the next update and sometimes that might not be very much and it will very likely not have everything people were hoping for.  

Anyway, the QOL update is currently planned for Aug 20th, and I don't believe that will change at this point. 

I’m not looking for anything huge out of tomorrow’s QoL, but.. having said that the last QoL update added my absolute most favorite new feature to the game-

The ability to randomize seasons & season lengths.. 

I will set my expectations super low, & yet still hope to be pleasantly surprised.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m not looking for anything huge out of tomorrow’s QoL, but.. having said that the last QoL update added my absolute most favorite new feature to the game-

The ability to randomize seasons & season lengths.. 

I will set my expectations super low, & yet still hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Huh you didn't have those in XBox already? Interesting... Glad you have it now and enjoying it. I wonder what other aspects of world customization are offered in PC are lacking in the console versions, if any.

JoeW said "next week" on Saturday. So maybe this week?

On 8/13/2020 at 6:52 PM, JoeW said:

Generally, we provide information as soon as it's solid. We don't provide information before that so we can keep the option open to change our minds. 

I didn't announce the QOL update ahead of time last time either because I don't really feel like it's something to promote.

When we do a big update, we do a cool trailer, we update all our art of the steam page, we do skins and all kinds of rewards and try to come up with a cool, substantial update that is something interesting and worth your time and attention. In the case of a QOL update and the reason we do them, if we did all that same stuff, those resources aren't being saved for the bigger more substantial content updates. 

That being said. The QOL updates are definitely something we are trying to make interesting and worth doing, but if we try to get you excited about it, we run the risk of disappointing you. Literally, they are crammed with as much as we can accomplish with the limited resources we have to spare while we are working on the next update and sometimes that might not be very much and it will very likely not have everything people were hoping for.  

Anyway, the QOL update is currently planned for Aug 20th, and I don't believe that will change at this point. 

Oh didn't see before I posted.

Just now, TheGoldenDonut_ said:

JoeW said "next week" on Saturday. So maybe this week?

Actually he said last friday that

On 8/14/2020 at 12:52 AM, JoeW said:

the QOL update is currently planned for Aug 20th, and [he doesn't] believe that will change at this point. 

3 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Huh you didn't have those in XBox already? Interesting... Glad you have it now and enjoying it. I wonder what other aspects of world customization are offered in PC are lacking in the console versions, if any.

For a 100% accurate list you could maybe check the console versions patch notes, but the only other thing I can recall off the top of my head are that Consoles had a problem where Tier 3 Spider nests wouldn’t upgrade to a Spider Queen, so we had maybe 1 SQ on the map at any given time.. and everything else were Tier 3 Spider Dens that never popped and became Queens to downgrade themselves.

They fixed this in one of the patches a while back ago and now any nest left unattended to after so long has a chance to eventually become a Queen.

I do recall JoeW mentioning awhile back that they hired on more people to work specifically upon improving the console versions of the game :) 

With all the hype that people have been making about this update, I’m just concerned that everyone’s gonna overhype themselves only for them to be disappointed by tomorrow’s update.

I know we’ve had many threads about our suggestions for the QoL, but just pretend that nothing suggested is gonna be added. The last QoL update was so great because it was completely unexpected and out of left field.

2 hours ago, 1bubbainpa said:

With all the hype that people have been making about this update, I’m just concerned that everyone’s gonna overhyped themselves only for them to be disappointed by tomorrow’s update.

I know we’ve had many threads about our suggestions for the QoL, but just pretend that nothing suggested is gonna be added. The last QoL update was so great because it was completely unexpected and out of left field.

It's no big deal just the biggest thing in the world that is happening tomorrow.

Archived