What makes Wurt and Wortox different?

2 hours ago, gaymime said:

she is in her animated short;

Yea but even comparing the thumbnail image to her in the short it's very clear she's older than back then and I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure kiel had said they were childhood friends which I believe was the point of the short showing her so young.(and showing where her love of fire came from)

4 minutes ago, gaymime said:

so over 18? do you think you can find it? i have not seen anything like that from an official source only a general consensus by artists to draw her in late teens to early adulthood

It's confirmed both by devs here and on wiki, she's in her early 20's. Finding that here would be mining for gold so i don't really have any links to the threads mentioning her age.

4 minutes ago, gaymime said:

so over 18? do you think you can find it? i have not seen anything like that from an official source only a general consensus by artists to draw her in late teens to early adulthood

https://web.archive.org/web/20180211211555/http://steelydan.tumblr.com:80/post/89011339488/once-again-posting-this-info-i-got-recently-from

Don't really see why they would retcon this but yeah, there it is, in all its glory, i suppose.

so she aged then deaged? dang that is weird, usually chars are aged up not aged up then aged down down x''D well, nix her from the lineup since it is situational if she is an adult or a child though the rest of the list still stands

my only lingering question is though if charlie manifests from inside of a fearful person then why are her hands coming from the outside?

i like to think of it this way:  

Charlie only attacks the player characters and not mobs because she knows the playable characters can be a hindrance toward her power over the constant. A regular merm would never try to dethrone charlie, but Wurt is more intelligent, and has sided with the survivors. As for Wartox, he too has sided with the survivors and thus could become a threat to Charlie!

4 hours ago, DrMcGillacactus said:

i like to think of it this way:  

Charlie only attacks the player characters and not mobs because she knows the playable characters can be a hindrance toward her power over the constant. A regular merm would never try to dethrone charlie, but Wurt is more intelligent, and has sided with the survivors. As for Wartox, he too has sided with the survivors and thus could become a threat to Charlie!

Idk, I think she likes the survivors. She didn't kill Wilson when she had the chance, she gives them presents, they can ressurect through many methods, including touchstones, which spawn naturally, and she seems eerily excited by the prospect of them fighting in the Forge.

Maybe she wants to strengthen them, but still hold the power of fear over them, so she continues to attack? They are gatekeepers, maybe she needs them to open new worlds for her?

To make a long story short, I think she thinks of them as her little minions, who, while weak, possess mobility she does not. She needs them, but needs to control them.

On 7/6/2020 at 6:07 AM, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

I have a theory that Wurt is the first merm who was born a merm, as opposed to being transformed by the Gnaw.

image.png.16242627ce5da7fa0b149cd0962eae61.png explain

plus what would her being born a merm have to do with literally anything and why does Charlie also attack Wilba and Wilbur

8 hours ago, Lammarr said:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180211211555/http://steelydan.tumblr.com:80/post/89011339488/once-again-posting-this-info-i-got-recently-from

Don't really see why they would retcon this but yeah, there it is, in all its glory, i suppose.

I think they just didn't put much thought into exactly how old the characters are. It's not really important.

On 7/6/2020 at 12:07 PM, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

I have a theory that Wurt is the first merm who was born a merm, as opposed to being transformed by the Gnaw. She seems a bit more self-aware than the others and has this idea of greatness, whereas the others have lost their minds when they were afflicted.

I would think at the oposite : Wurt is not an original merm and come from the Gnaw's world (I think Maxwell said in a quote that merms were already here when he came to Constant). She is a half transformed goat. That's why she have horns and is called "goat" by Wortox. 

Wortox is more "human" than his buddies,

Even Wormwood is more than a plant.

they all arn't totally animals/monsters, that's the reason for me.

44 minutes ago, Nino123 said:

That's why she have horns

Nope, Guard merms have horns. The real question is that defeated merms have the same broken horn element but if you ratify Wurt's guard status, her broken horn isn't healed.

From the Ashes is a flashback. Aside from dev comments outside the game saying that she's in her early 20s, this has been Willow's character selection screen description since the Forge, and now it's at the top of her Compendium entry:

willowage2.png.afabebf8dfbf720bc6513124953f3836.png

I think Possessions is also a flashback to Wortox's childhood or adolescence, because that appears to be the first time Wortox ever took a soul but his description says he's taken many souls in his time and his character quotes suggest that he's accustomed to doing so, if conflicted about it. (I think the reason he appears to have aged and Wilson and Wes haven't is because time in the Constant and time in Wortox's home plane don't run at the same rate. It's suggested that time on Earth isn't in sync with time in the Constant either, based on Maxwell's monologue at the end of Adventure Mode.)

Wormwood's age is unclear, in both a chronological and a developmental sense. We saw the day he was born in his cinematic, but that's not the spot where he spawns in Hamlet and literally all we know about how much time has passed between Lunar Roots and the beginning of play in Hamlet is that he appears to have been born on a full moon during lush season - he blooms at the end of the cinematic - but Hamlet starts with a new moon at the beginning of temperate season. (I probably could calculate out how long it would take for the 16-day singleplayer moon cycle and the Hamlet 33-day season cycle to sync up like that but I don't want to.) And since he's a one-of-a-kind half plant half moon-gem alien mutant creature and we have no other context for what his species is capable of or how they grow over time, we also can't be sure whether Wormwood's an actual child who will eventually grow up if the passage of time in the Constant allows it, a mentally limited being who was born with the same level of cognition and emotional maturity he'll always have, or a soft-hearted and naïve adult with a poor grasp of English and very little experience with things that don't come from the rainforest.

2 hours ago, Nino123 said:

I would think at the oposite : Wurt is not an original merm and come from the Gnaw's world (I think Maxwell said in a quote that merms were already here when he came to Constant). She is a half transformed goat. That's why she have horns and is called "goat" by Wortox.

I believe you're thinking of the NEXTCHARACTER quotes that were hidden in Wortox's dialogue file between his introduction and when Wurt was added? I think those were a red herring directed at people who wanted/expected the next character to be Billy from the Gorge all along, because his in-game quotes for Wurt are completely different and he doesn't call her a goat.

WURT =
        {
            GENERIC = "Gotten into any trouble yet today, %s?",
            ATTACKER = "%s has a fiendish look in her eye.",
            MURDERER = "Surely we can sort this out, imp to shrimp?",
            REVIVER = "You have a good soul, %s. I promise not to eat it.",
            GHOST = "Don't fret, I won't eat you!",
            FIRESTARTER = "Hyuyuyu, brilliant!",
        },

The horns do suggest goat heritage, but merm guards grow them as well.

3 minutes ago, gaymime said:

do you think horns are a female trait in merms?

They could be. We don't have any other explanation for where the horns come from, the King of the Merms doesn't have them, and Sammy and Pipton are the only other named merms and their hats hide whether or not they have horns.

29 minutes ago, minespatch said:

The real question is why Wurt's horn won't grow back compared to other merm guards.

Maybe that's what marks her as a survivor, not her nightblindness.

7 hours ago, gaymime said:

do you think horns are a female trait in merms?

No, it's a symbol of being a guard. normal merms who are christened under a king gain horns.

7 hours ago, CameoAppearance said:

Maybe that's what marks her as a survivor, not her nightblindness.

I wonder if we'll ever get to find out who her previous king was. Since she's the one who can make kings exist again.

5 minutes ago, minespatch said:

No, it's a symbol of being a guard. normal merms who are christened under a king gain horns.

I wonder if we'll ever get to find out who her previous king was. Since she's the one who can make kings exist again.

Horns aren’t a symbol, they grow out of the body like hair or finger nails.

And there’s nothing to support that there was a former merm king, the current one is based off cultural appropriation.

51 minutes ago, minespatch said:

i think the king of the merms is a new thing in the constance since "she has plans to the merm kind" so i think that is her who is making them more civilizade with her intelligence. Just my hypothesis based in almost nothing xD

On 7/8/2020 at 2:00 PM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i think the king of the merms is a new thing in the constance since "she has plans to the merm kind" so i think that is her who is making them more civilizade with her intelligence. Just my hypothesis based in almost nothing xD

She also has the ability to detect tentacles, which other merms cannot. That can also be a mark of intelligence.

On 7/6/2020 at 1:06 PM, Sub-Maxwell said:

What I don’t understand is how these characters come through the portal, or where they go when they travel back through the celestial portal. If they’re native to the Constant, where are they coming from? Alternate versions/realities of the Constant? If there’s some part of the lore that explains this, I’d love to hear it. 

Sorry about being off-topic, but to answer your question, you were correct when you asked if characters go to alternate realities of the Constant when going through the Celestial Portal. I'm not sure where specifically that information came from, but I believe a dev did mention this is what happens.

My theory is that the creatures of the constant are greatly effected by the by belief and that the true purpose of the constant grabbing people into it is not to kill people but to introduce half ideas into the world then erasing the origins(those who come) to see what the creatures of the world evolve into.

Archived