Would you want to leave the constant?

This is more of a philosophical/personal approach instead of what would a character do. My question is: is the constant such a BAD place?

I mean yes, you can die probably everyday, but having a group of friends living together helping you survive (and revive) does not sound bad at all. Also considering the impossibilty to age sounds really tempting for those who might be rather old (sorry Wickerbottom)

This also prompts the question: what are you leaving behind? Warly's situation is rather obvious, but for those who have lost so much (Wendy, Willow) the constant may actually be a place to start over or meet with family too.

Spending so much time with people also makes you bond with them, or learn from them provided people who join the constant come from different timelines (or even were born in the constant)

Personally, i would stay for a long time in the constant before considering going back home... like some vacation maybe? But the idea of enjoying the constant for some time before trying to escape it constantly invades me while i play, even if it's not me the one trying not to starve lol.
This is a rather different post in this forum but im really intrigued, what would you guys do?

11 minutes ago, Whisperlisc said:

I think it could be a fun adventure for some time, but then it would get boring and meaningless when stuck there forever without any objective besides survival.

I agree, but the idea if meeting people from different timelines is so appealing to me.

I don't know, maybe this pandemic issolation made me want some adventures lol, or at least dream of one

11 minutes ago, 1bubbainpa said:

The Constant is a literal purgatory. Like, you’re stuck there for literally forever. There is no escape.

My question tries to avoid this. Provided the option of escaping real quick, would you do so? Would you try to take advantage of the different features of this new world? 

As i said, my question its not gamewise literal, but more of personal

I do really like the thrill of finding yourself in a curious new world full of dangers but also adventure, having to stick together with your fellow survivors out of necessity but also getting to know many different people (and creatures) and being able to form deep friendships with them. I do also agree though that trying to stay alive everyday forever would be incredibly stressful and so would not be able to see your family and friends in the real world ever again. 

4 minutes ago, Brubs said:

Provided the option of escaping real quick, would you do so? Would you try to take advantage of the different features of this new world? 

If that is the case, I would definitely love to spend some time exploring the constant and its many curiosities! It seems like a great way to escape from the real world and its problems even for a little bit and it might even offer a change of perspective. 

The idea of dying gives me anxiety and i never considered myself brave so i guess i would try to get out asap. If in the meantime i get to know other people and make friends whatsoever, that would be great but yes, i would escape real quick.

I think the only one who would ever want to stay in the Constant is the ones born in the Constant (Wortox, Wurt, Wilba, Wormwood), Wagstaff (and just because the constant provides a lot of dark magic and unknown resources for the real world) and maybe Willow. Everyone else kinda wants to leave, they have families or...just dont want to die for eternity i guess. So my answer is no, i wouldn't want to stay just because i dont want to die over and over again.

It would probably feel like a second chance for those who had nothing to lose in first place, like Willow, but otherwise I agree with most responses above, with permanent death, getting injured every day, being sleepy, muddy, cold and blistering hot, fighting constantly just for mere survival, still feels like a horrible punishment.

I suppose after a while you must sort of get used to it and not feel so stressed all the time, much like what happened after long wars, for example WW2 soldiers marching for years, had a crappy every day life, but in the end being in the same situation all the time they learned to cope with death and suffering as the normal thing. Perhaps the survivors are already at that point and they start to value their companionship, celebrating winter's feast together and other stuff to boost morale.

I'd assume everyone would want to leave at one point or another, have another goal in life other than just making it through the day without dying, and stop making survival and death so meaningless.

Perhaps the very idea of fighting through the day to be a step closer to escape, would be a powerful way to keep the mind healthy and have an actual reason to bear with all you experience in there.

Well it all obviously depends if Constant would behave like it does in-game or if it'd be realistic.

Cuz just a little bit of realism would make this place a hell to live in. A singe spider's bite could lead to you bleading out. And there's a lot more we would have to endure:

Eating same meal over and over again? Lack of vitamins and diversity in nutrients.

'Taking freeze damage"? Looks like you'll have to amputate a finger or two.

Hit by a Clockwork Rook? Broken spine.

Going down underground? Running out of air or tunnels collapsing

Want to cook? Looks like you'll have to properly prepare the ingredients and build an oven/grill if you want anything else than a stew/soup

Not to mention that a single hat wouldn't keep you cool/warm. Enemies would most likely be able to attack while moving. Aaaaannnd bigger enemies/bosses would probably be able to rip you in half even if you have armor.

On the 'bright' side there'd probably be more things we'd be able to craft: bows, camouflage, actual shelter. 

Sure according to the lore you don't die permanently in the Constant. But that'd mean you'd get to suffer forever... which I guess is pretty much what the Survivors have been doing

2 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Well it all obviously depends if Constant would behave like it does in-game or if it'd be realistic.

This is a great point! I do believe, though, that in this context the constant would behave the way it does in-game - in a quite unrealistic, fantastic, supernatural, absolute nonsense fashion that is tailored to best fit gameplay. I suppose the person who enters would be the one to adapt to this new state of reality.

It would really depend on what your background is... We can see why Willow would find the Constant as a new beginning but for most of us it would be H E L L 

Unless we really, really... really deserved it... or we were mad enough that we wanted to control the Constant... Who knows

6 hours ago, Brubs said:

Also considering the impossibilty to age sounds really tempting for those who might be rather old

Wasn't it confirmed by Wagstaff that it isn't the characters aging slowly, it's actually the constant that goes really fast through its own time?

Wagstaff: (Dusk) - "A conspicuously rapid sunset! Time must flow strangely here."

Creatures age through their lifespans at an expedited rate while the survivors haven't changed at all. On top of the environment changing in ways that would normally take many years to do in real life (like the stages of growth for a tree, the length of seasons, the amount of time in a single day and whatnot) the Constant seems to be in an entire other spectrum when it comes to aging entirely, but the survivors always seem to age at the normal rate they did when they were outside of the Constant.

But to get back on topic, the only thing that would be on my mind would be to see my family again and beg that nothing happened to them while I was gone. I cannot verify at any moment that, at my return, time advanced 50 years or more like what happened to Captain America; it's one of the only things that would keep me going in the wilderness with strangers that, frankly, don't compare to my family.

Well, if it's realistic and we DO have to worry about the physical problems that we do have to worry about in real life, but not in the game...

Put it this way:  I would miss a comfortable bed and INDOOR PLUMBING _so_ much.  : P

Also I already have anxiety, and...oh gods.  Here's a thought.  Who here is on medication they have to take every day or else?

(raises hand)

Yep, wouldn't have THAT anymore either!

Also if my glasses broke I wouldn't be able to get new ones, and...yeah I think a lot of it depends on how healthy and/or happy you are to begin with.  Less things wrong = less things you need that the Constant wouldn't be able to provide.

...Notorious

On 6/30/2020 at 10:34 AM, ShyRo-Zyerenzy said:

You are trading freedom for endless torment. It sounds fun for us players , but i think getting rid of death removes the value of life. Obviously others will find it attractive but its just my approach on it.

True. If there is no death, then the value of life is no more. You think about the things you want to do before you die, take the death away, and you suddenly have no will to do anything because you will never die. If there is life, there is death. Thats the balance. There is no removing the two, and if there is no death, the spirit of miracle of life is corrupt.

Archived