Should Klei make a QOL Update?

Should Klei make a QOL Update?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Should Klei make a QOL Update?

• Yes, the game has blatant issues that require immediate focus before they should work on new content
    • Yes, The game would benefit for a few things being re-looked over to be revised
    • Yes, but the game needs more content, but I would not be angry if they did do one.
    • No, the game requires more content and thus they should not focus on other content before then
    • No, the game's current balance is fine and needs no revision
    • No, Every thing in the game has been perfectly crafted with 0 faults and the mere idea that it's not the case is absurd and blastphomous.
  2. 2. To those who answered Yes, why?

• The game has a lot of balencing issues with core mechanics like sanity and food values
    • While the game is genrally balenced, there is a few examples that should be toned down or re looked at.
    • The game is generally fine in terms of actual mechanics, but the cost of somethings are out of wack
    • While the game is generally balenced, the Meta is too strong and needs to be refreshed so that other tools can come into the spotlight sometimes
    • There is a lot of things that people have demanding for years now, and this update may finally give them what they want
    • I answered No
  3. 3. To those who answered No, why?

• The game has other priorities the devs need to be working on.
    • This game has some balencing issues, but not some many that a entire update needs to be dedicated to them
    • The people that desire these changes are people that are yearning for the perfectionist ideal they have, which will never happen
    • The game is fine as is, so work on the new stuff instead
    • Any QOL update is going to filled with changes I won't like, and so I want to avoid that for as long as possible
    • I answered Yes
  4. 4. When should this QOL Update come out?

• Soonish, like within the next few months
    • Within the year
    • Before the end of RoT
    • After RoT
    • Never

I made this topic to get an idea of how other people think about a brand new QOL update being made. This would be perfect time because as Jason himself said:

On 4/23/2020 at 12:49 PM, Jason said:

On to the next thing! Now is a good time to mention that we are currently in the middle of evaluating our schedule. We're definitely beginning to see issues creep in from our current situation working from home. We're looking to shift things around a bit so we can still have something for you every month but the next update will likely be smaller as we work on the larger stuff like the next new character and the next Return of Them update. When we have more information on that, we'll let you know. 

And so with that, it is no surprise that they won’t be the most coordinated, but this new update would take less time then a update with new content and would allow them to give us long awaited changes while also buying them time to make the next actual content update. Anyhow, here are some ideas to what a QOL update might look like:

• Re balancing some crafting recipes like the Night Armor, Marble Suit, and Insulated Pack

• Adding a way for some to use the lazy deserter without some one to assist

• Adding the option to turn off right click indicators for items like the lazy explorer or Wortox

• Adding a way to counter disease

• Make Sculptures Sketches being added to the player’s crafting menu when near a sculpting table instead of having them linked to the table itself,

• Having a failsafe if the world gen glitches out without marble sculptures

• Tweaking when certain things can be crafted (like the winter/beefalo hat)

• Giving special buffs to foods that require rare or out the way materials to make like Butter and Eels and Honeycombs (not honey, the honeycombs)

• Making some items more or less rare then they are now

Those are basic ideas but feel free to share some of yours as long as they aren’t something ludicrously difficult to implement like personalized restrictions on what characters can and can’t do beyond basic admin privileges. The prime idea is to take something in the game, but add more utility or rebalance it instead of making a new complex system. Thank you to anyone who answers and have a good day.

P.S. I copied this over from word and that is why the format is funky

I would love a lot of additional content for summer (and maybe the seasons in general), but a great QoL update for me would be a wildfire change that focuses on trees directly burning at an increased rate than the current wildfire settings and not base items. Farming changes would be nice too, such as a guaranteed double seed drop from a bird cage. And then there’s disease lol.

I still believe there are endgame issues that could be resolved rather easily, like the lack of viable infinite light (klaus dropping 3-4 festive lights outside of winters feast in a gift wrap would be the easiest fix that would satisfy me, even if it isn’t perfect), turf variety (See: SW and HAM turf choice), and forest petrification (I wish it didn’t target trees you plant, since it really kills using them for decor). I would say world regrowth but I did see how that is being tuned, although it’s currently only on the PS4 version so I can’t say how good the issue has been changed. I’m hopeful it’s decent.

One thing I have noticed in general is the inability to craft natural turf. While I don’t have too much of an issue yet, I do know people who are fearful of running out of things like rocky turf for cobblestone. It would be nice to see it be changed with a station to craft any of the normal turfs. Also, in a similar note, why can’t we dig up ruins turf without it being voided from existence? I would love to mess around with it, and even with the red cracks I do think it looks nice for builds.

For random additions, although this isn’t exactly QOL, I did suggest a tier 2 lunar item that could be crafted awhile back. It basically would be DST’s root trunk, which I would love to see.

One issue ive had for most of RoT has been being disconnected while on a moving boat, and then reconnecting and spawning back at the start portal with no hope of ever being able to save my boat. The being disconnected thing is usually just my own wifi... but i wish that a player's location would be saved onto the boat instead of that point in space.

And i could easily understand this either not being possible or making it making everything else very buggy... but of course its just a quality of life thing...

39 minutes ago, Frashaw27 said:

add more utility or rebalance it instead of making a new complex system

Amen to that I say. One of the issues when discussing balance changes is that a lot of the change suggestions are way out there, not to mention heavily biased as well. I think every idea you added in the suggestions up top are not too out there of a QoL change, and quite frankly, seems far more reasonable than "Wolfgang is OP and needs a nerf, Cactus flesh is too good it needs a nerf, Ancient Fuelweaver is too easy and needs a buff". I believe (in my opinion of course) that a good QoL change should focus not on taking the spotlight off of something, but rather also put the spotlight on something else as well (for example, your suggestion on improving the crafting recipes for some lesser-used items). 

I didn’t understand the poll options so I didn’t vote on any of them: But I believe Klei should keep doing exactly what they’re doing, continue with current content plans and worry about the QoL stuff as they can get around to it.

Each time they release an update- be that Wendy’s Refresh, Return Of Them She Sells Sea Shells etc.. they have to technically do a QoL update each time- Patch notes, Minor Tweaks.. that all Qualifies as QoL updates for me.

And it makes the MOST Sense to continue to release what they have planned and update it as problems arise- Problems that they will have a much easier time discovering and fixing if more people are playing their game.

its why RoT Updates go through a BETA Phase for 1-2 Weeks on PC before launching on Consoles.. they can release hotfixes to bugs pc players find as those bugs pop up, where as console patches need to go through Sony and Microsoft’s Certification process.

I would absolutely LOVE some QoL stuff- Simple stuff like, Archipelago style world gen options.. Harder Difficulty modes, more customization options when setting up a world (Turning Malbatross Off like you can Bearger and Deerclops for Example..)

But most importantly we need to get character Reworks and the content they’ve already got planned first Because any updates they do NOW can cause that stuff they have already planned for LATER to start bugging out- Something I’ve watched major companies like Rockstar, EA, & Ubisoft all end up falling victim to.

38 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

>snip<

I couldn't agree more, a QoL update will be a requirement for DST. BUT currently the devs should still focus on RoT updates and character reworks as planned.

If I were to guess, a QoL update will most likely occur after RoT, a bit like the Bonus Update we got after A New Reign was completed where they added stuff like Boss Chess Pieces, Ruins Furniture & Bone Helm.

I am not very clear about the meaning of these options,So I didn't vote, but I personally feel that klei will continue their 2020 plans in an orderly manner.

For example, more characters refresh, new characters added, ROT content update.I personally agree with some of the points Mike mentioned earlier,For example, open new content in the test service in advance, let more players help to test, such as game bugs, collect constructive suggestions.And bring surprises in the official version,

I was surprised by their efficiency,after Wendy refreshed, they released the next big rot update in just a month.I admire the staff of klei,I think they will still focus on the things mentioned on the roadmap 2020. As for some other minor changes, we will be notified as usual.

Please make the other 95% of the magic tab viable, thanks.

Ancient tab too. ESPECIALLY the Thulecite Club, Pick/Axe, and Lazy Forager. Just make them refuellable with nightmare fuel, bing bang boom, top tier (as they should be)

I am a bit confused with your use of QoL (Quality of Life). Usually it means to make things "easier" in terms of navigation, use of things, and what not. For example, the mod tab before creating a world is very slow, and it can be a pain to find the mods you are looking for if you have too many (IMO, at least). But your second question seems to be more about balance changes, making things stronger or weaker either directly or indirectly. At least that is what I understand.

Anyway, in both cases I think the game needs a lot of it. I also think that this character reworks have been lacking in balance and things of the sort, they seem erratic and not very well planned out. For example:

• Winona's rework added machines that would make more sense with Wagstaff, and he even has similar structures. Even then, from Winona's machines only 2 are actually useful, the GEMerator and the catapult. The small generator, while having it's niche, feels pointless. But for whatever reason none of the machines can be turned off. Not only that, but they had their chance to make both generators work with the fling-o-matic, maybe even make the lightning rod catch electricity and transform it into fuel if they felt like daring.
  • Wendy's rework is overall pointless. They had the chance to make ghosts worth something, even if only for Wendy, but they decided to add pipspooks, while ghosts remained mostly unchanged. Even worse, they added 6 ghostly elixirs for Wendy to use on Abigail, but one (spectral cure-all) is so strong in comparison to the others it makes them almost useless, and there is 1 that is not even worth looking at (nightshade nostrum).

Willow and Woodie's rework have been the most "complete" re-works thus far (although Woodie needed some tweaks at first). Meanwhile, most magic items are generally useless or extremely niche (staves, for example), still a handful of combat items are top tier (hambat and football helmet), some gears are still pointless to use ever due to expensive or annoying ingredients (catcoon cap, darts, among many others), food items remove the necessity of healing items (I mean, if you can heal 60 health from a meal, but only 30 from a honey poultice that requires 4 cutreeds each... yeah, you get the point), among many other things.

I don't think Klei needs to make a big QoL update. Simply add some QoL changes alongside regular RoT content, simmialry to how the clean sweaper was added in the newest update. Nothing to do with 'Moon' or Pearl just a QoL item

Personally, I feel like some food items are kind of pointless right now. As Warly electric milk is kind of lame, having only one use. It'd be nice to give it more function since i like the idea of farming volt goats. Beefalo taming, as discussed on another thread, is kind of really expensive and I feel like it could be made more viable. 

I trust the course Klei has set for themselves - but after playing on consoles I kinda wonder if they should just put geometric placement into the game (maybe as an option in settings per player) and make boat grids snap to the boat for easier upgrades.  I am not well known for having a tidy base, but on console it's just anarchy...

3 hours ago, Canis said:

Please make the other 95% of the magic tab viable, thanks.

Ancient tab too. ESPECIALLY the Thulecite Club, Pick/Axe, and Lazy Forager. Just make them refuellable with nightmare fuel, bing bang boom, top tier (as they should be)

Refueling the thulecite club...?  ok o_O?

2 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Refueling the thulecite club...?  ok o_O?

It's a late game item that requires much, much more resources than a darksword but only has as much durability as a spear, how is this far-fetched?

The QoL changes I'd want would be moreso bug fixes.

Like for example, CROPS FREAKING WITHERING AROUND ACTIVE FLINGOMATICS, especially when unloaded.

Also maybe more world options, like "Less Day" "Less Dusk" and "Less Night" options for day lengths, I just want a day setting that's a bit less day, but alot more dusk and night, right now it's either long dusk(too much dusk imo) or long night(too much night). I'd love that perfect in between setting.

Some bugs and QoL changes from the top of my head I for one would fancy being addressed in future:

the "More" option for WorldGen resources/specific-biome mobs like Cacti, Reeds, Tentacles, Beefs, Tumbleweeds etc

should add more in their respective biomes, not all over map;

fixing the ReGrowth mechanic - because, for example, setting Trees to "Less" or "None", over time makes them over-grow

everywhere (not only in their respective biomes), to the point one would have Mushtrees and Birches all over inner Ruins;

fixing the gradients overlapping, like for Insanity and Winter filters rendering Nightmare Creatures almost invisible;

adding an option to tone down Insanity mechanic sounds;

balancing certain recipes to bring more utility/viability to items (Ruins gear, Winter clothing etc);

balancing the hit-boxes of objects (Crock Pot, Tackle Receptacle, Alchemy Engine, Shadow Manipulator, etc) - atm they

require too much space and a certain placement order to make for viable base settings;

(will add more)

I think another QOL thing that should be integrated to the core game is the possibility to turn on/off a grid like the one geometric placement offers. If you want to build pretty bases this mod is a must, and console players are still aiming the best they can with the grid of the pitchfork which is kind of lacking.

Also I've noticed that console already has a gesture wheel integrated, I think this should be part of of the core game on PC as well. Having to type /emote, and remember the emotes you have, is not very user friendly.

Built-in health and damage indicators and grids and gesture wheels, a rebalance of every single underused gear and a big refresh for domestication seems like it could be an excellent major update on its own.

3 hours ago, Canis said:

It's a late game item that requires much, much more resources than a darksword but only has as much durability as a spear, how is this far-fetched?

But if you could refuel them then the rest of the weapons will be forget like happen with regular armor when you get bone armor.

Also, in this way, you craft 1 and you can forget that ruins exist for the rest of the game.

I think thulecite club has his nich to increase damage against slow bosses and it does a great job. The game is already easy when you are experiece enough to craft this weapons so i prefer to learn how to manage my green gems that having op infinity weapons.

The only thing i want to be refueled is the orange amulet and anyways is a silly thing because you get more orange gems that you will waste

12 hours ago, Maxil20 said:

I still believe there are endgame issues that could be resolved rather easily, like the lack of viable infinite light (klaus dropping 3-4 festive lights outside of winters feast in a gift wrap would be the easiest fix that would satisfy me, even if it isn’t perfect)

We have mushlight's and glowcap's for near infinite light sources, I think if they went the full infinite it would break the game.

4 minutes ago, Scarecrow0_0 said:

We have mushlight's and glowcap's for near infinite light sources, I think if they went the full infinite it would break the game.

yea but they need caves and maintenance.

I think he means something like the moon pedestal

45 minutes ago, Scarecrow0_0 said:

I still don’t see how they would. Even in the most optimal circumstances (light bulbs/spores become infinite in them and the player possesses a napsack blueprint), you still are massively handicapped by the amount of shroom skin you can make. You need to utilize a ton of green gems to even have a decent amount of lights, and even then those lights are only just as good as the Hamlet lamp posts, and technically worse in that aspect because they can be set alight and burn down. On day 6000+, I don’t want my builds to look dark without needing to spend constant time grinding for resources to refuel the lights, especially how I can burn through bundles of light bulbs at this point for what I want to do. 

I just want some other source of infinite light, because fishing in the oasis 24/7 for 11 months to obtain packages to maybe fill up 50 of them when winters feast hits is not ideal.

7 hours ago, Canis said:

Its durability could always be increased to like, maybe be like Wigfrid's spear, or more, but making it refuellable with Nightmare Fuel is really pushing it.

If anything, if it were to be refuellable, it'd make more sense to be with Thulecite, that way you'd be using a more expensive material, instead of Nightmare Fuel, which you'll probably have 100+ of those in some chests somewhere.

Archived