Should Klei make a QOL Update?

Should Klei make a QOL Update?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Should Klei make a QOL Update?

• Yes, the game has blatant issues that require immediate focus before they should work on new content
    • Yes, The game would benefit for a few things being re-looked over to be revised
    • Yes, but the game needs more content, but I would not be angry if they did do one.
    • No, the game requires more content and thus they should not focus on other content before then
    • No, the game's current balance is fine and needs no revision
    • No, Every thing in the game has been perfectly crafted with 0 faults and the mere idea that it's not the case is absurd and blastphomous.
  2. 2. To those who answered Yes, why?

• The game has a lot of balencing issues with core mechanics like sanity and food values
    • While the game is genrally balenced, there is a few examples that should be toned down or re looked at.
    • The game is generally fine in terms of actual mechanics, but the cost of somethings are out of wack
    • While the game is generally balenced, the Meta is too strong and needs to be refreshed so that other tools can come into the spotlight sometimes
    • There is a lot of things that people have demanding for years now, and this update may finally give them what they want
    • I answered No
  3. 3. To those who answered No, why?

• The game has other priorities the devs need to be working on.
    • This game has some balencing issues, but not some many that a entire update needs to be dedicated to them
    • The people that desire these changes are people that are yearning for the perfectionist ideal they have, which will never happen
    • The game is fine as is, so work on the new stuff instead
    • Any QOL update is going to filled with changes I won't like, and so I want to avoid that for as long as possible
    • I answered Yes
  4. 4. When should this QOL Update come out?

• Soonish, like within the next few months
    • Within the year
    • Before the end of RoT
    • After RoT
    • Never

You know what SHOULD Be refuelable using Nightmare Fuel though? 

Willows Lighter.. Why can’t Willow refill her lighters using the only material Bernie is actually good at getting?

Bernie needs more Utility as Well- To stand around and do NOTHING while Cookie Cutters attack my boat needs to be patched.

BOTH Abigail and BERNIE! Need to follow more Closely to Wendy & Willow- If Willow has to run for her life for any reason whatsoever from things trying to kill her.. what usually happens is you run BERNIE out of the frame and he Shrinks back to Teddy Bear size.. which just shouldn’t happen, I’ve actually LOST Bernie’s because I thought they were still trailing behind me off the screen only to have actually shrunk and got left behind ages ago.

Batilisk are a HUGE Problem on Xbox One as well.. because you can not ever turn off caves and cave entrances are plentiful and Everywhere- So something that would go a long way in combating this is to allow Winona’s Spotlight to scare them away.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

Willows Lighter.. Why can’t Willow refill her lighters using the only material Bernie is actually good at getting?

Bernie needs more Utility as Well- To stand around and do NOTHING while Cookie Cutters attack my boat needs to be patched.

BOTH Abigail and BERNIE! Need to follow more Closely to Wendy & Willow- If Willow has to run for her life for any reason whatsoever from things trying to kill her.. what usually happens is you run BERNIE out of the frame and he Shrinks back to Teddy Bear size.. which just shouldn’t happen, I’ve actually LOST Bernie’s because I thought they were still trailing behind me off the screen only to have actually shrunk and got left behind ages ago.

Batilisk are a HUGE Problem on Xbox One as well.. because you can not ever turn off caves and cave entrances are plentiful and Everywhere- So something that would go a long way in combating this is to allow Winona’s Spotlight to scare them away.

you need to stop playing dst blind-folded and single-handed.

14 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

dude those 2 are the weakest mobs in the game even with controller 

These mobs weaknesses are unimportant when it comes to saving the lives of low health team mates who come limping back into base barely making it back before they die without a light source to Charlie’s attacks.

If I’m playing as Winona scaring away that group of bats that’s chasing after that 10hp Wormwood by shining my spotlight onto them would save the life of that Wormwood.

Not only does he get light- but the light scares away the group of 7-12 bats that are chasing him.

This isn’t about my personal skill level- My Personal skill level is that I can stand around in base for days upon days on end doing absolutely nothing then right before i start to die, applying the right items to fully refill health, Sanity & hunger.

This is QoL changes that will effect those people who are no offense but- ARE NOT EXPERT SKILLED PLAYERS.. 

and yes- People do die quite often to Darkness and Batilisk attacks on the Xbox One. (I used to when I first started the game too & don’t dare try and tell me that any of you haven’t.. because we all have been there and we’ve all done that.)

QOL changes do not just apply to end games items you know..? QOL can also make the lives of new players just starting out with the game a little less stressful.

Doesnt in any way shape or form mean that the game becomes Baby Steps if they did make it easier either- Because just as quickly as they made it easier- they can make it Harder through some official dedicated mode.

Imagine for a second Uncompromising Mode- Eating Food, eating butterflies, resting in Tents & Lean-To’s no longer restore health and the ONLY Way to restore health is through proper health restoration items, You can’t get Bird Cage for endless supply of free eggs & seed, mini-map is disabled completely..  Resurrection Items like Meat Effigy & Resurection Amulets won’t work.. the only way to be revived is by Telltale heart or a 1x only use Resurrection stone that breaks after using (just like the ones found in Solo DS) Oh yeah and most importantly of all- No Rollback feature allowed in Totally Uncompromising Mode.

Basically here’s The TL:DR- just because they are starting to give these characters new found abilities with their character Reworks that makes playing and surviving with them a lot  easier, Defiantly does NOT Mean that the entire game will be made easier.

49 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

...10hp Wormwood...

...changes that will effect those people who are no offense but- ARE NOT EXPERT SKILLED PLAYERS.. 

and yes- People do die quite often to Darkness and Batilisk attacks...

Those people should learn the game and up their skill levels if they wanna prevail, not the game becoming easier for them.

51 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

This isn’t about my personal skill level- My Personal skill level is that I can stand around in base for days upon days on end doing absolutely nothing then right before i start to die, applying the right items to fully refill health, Sanity & hunger.

I don't know what you are trying to say with this. That your skill level is "staying in base for days till almost dying"?!

53 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Imagine for a second Uncompromising Mode- Eating Food, eating butterflies, resting in Tents & Lean-To’s no longer restore health and the ONLY Way to restore health is through proper health restoration items, You can’t get Bird Cage for endless supply of free eggs & seed, mini-map is disabled completely..  Resurrection Items like Meat Effigy & Resurection Amulets won’t work.. the only way to be revived is by Telltale heart or a 1x only use Resurrection stone that breaks after using (just like the ones found in Solo DS) Oh yeah and most importantly of all- No Rollback feature allowed in Totally Uncompromising Mode.

We are talking here about QoL updates, not mods and what some people my perceive as hard setting. For example I almost-never die (only times I do is when I lean into cracking stupid things on purpose or pressing wrong buttons when gulping my precious Jagermeister - or yeah, when I'm... ahem, "excessively bacchanal merry" *wink*) so those items you mention are trivial to me. Plus my most-used play-style is nomad, thus farms & co. are redundant - default settings gens provide plenty if one knows what to do and when.

But really, Mike, after reading for quite some time some of your posts here-and-there I only have 1 advice for you: learn the game my dude; read a guide or 2, watch some videos, play with some knowledgeable people because you are adamant on giving quite uneducated feedback and advice in these forums time-and-again, stuff that you'd know is false if only you'd learn properly the game.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I think Willow's Lighter should be refuelable yeah.  Its not super important for me since I don't use it after I get lanterns but if it were refuelable I might take it on my boat with me in case I need to cook anything.

I'm not sure Bernie trailing behind is a bug rather than a feature...  You have to learn how far you can run before you check on him, and utilize his agro control to actually kill things rather engaged with him rather than just fleeing.  Also its an important play pattern (imo) to have ways to restore sanity to put him away when you are going to just run through an area (like running through shadow monkeys on your way out of the ruins, probably just gonna keep running eh? put bernie away.)

It might be worth making Bernie a bit easier to find if you lose him though.  I've lost him several times and either wasted days looking or just given up on him.  He's not too hard to recraft though, so I'm not worried.

Regarding these "small updates" to come: The optimist in me wants to believe that Klei plans to occupy months without a "proper" update by releasing relatively small and relatively standalone pieces of content that was originally meant to be part of the "big" RoT updates. Kinda like adding Wobster Dens and wobster recipes a month prior to the She Sells Sea Shells update. But as I said, that's the optimist in me speaking.

Now, regarding quality of life: I just want turfs to be made renewable already. Especially cobblestone turf. So far, only Marsh, Moon Crater and Shell Beach Turfs are renewable. Maybe add a sunken chest that contains 4-10 of 7 random natural turfs. Or change the recipe of cobblestone turf to use cut stone instead of rocky turf.

2 hours ago, Lukmendes said:

Its durability could always be increased to like, maybe be like Wigfrid's spear, or more, but making it refuellable with Nightmare Fuel is really pushing it.

That's what I was thinking. A durability increase on almost all of the ancient equipment is needed. Especially after the changes to DST with the nerfed armor durability, and buffed health of most enemies. A lot of equipment just doesn't last very long anymore. And that hurts thulecite equipment the most due to it's rarity.

37 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Those people should learn the game and up their skill levels if they wanna prevail, not the game becoming easier for them.

I don't know what you are trying to say with this. That your skill level is "staying in base for days till almost dying"?!

We are talking here about QoL updates, not mods and what some people my perceive as hard setting. For example I almost-never die (only times I do is when I lean into cracking stupid things on purpose or pressing wrong buttons when gulping my precious Jagermeister - or yeah, when I'm... ahem, "excessively bacchanal merry" *wink*) so those items you mention are trivial to me. Plus my most-used play-style is nomad, thus farms & co. are redundant - default settings gens provide plenty if one knows what to do and when.

But really, Mike, after reading for quite some time some of your posts here-and-there I only have 1 advice for you: learn the game my dude; read a guide or 2, watch some videos, play with some knowledgeable people because you are adamant on giving quite uneducated feedback and advice in these forums time-and-again, stuff that you'd know is false if only you'd learn properly the game.

Meh.. you ask for quality of life changes.. and then you back track on that by saying people should learn the game and get better by reading Wiki’s or watching others play.

not to sound rude or disrespectful or anything but can you please.. make up your mind!

You guys are so confusing sometimes.. -sigh- I give up, From now on I Think I’ll just rather not provide any input on anything because it’s just going to ultimately be shot down by the more knowledgeable players. :( Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Meh.. you ask for quality of life changes.. and then you back track on that by saying people should learn the game and get better by reading Wiki’s or watching others play.

not to sound rude or disrespectful or anything but can you please.. make up your mind!

You guys are so confusing sometimes.. -sigh- I give up, From now on I Think I’ll just rather not provide any input on anything because it’s just going to ultimately be shot down by the more knowledgeable players. :( Thanks.

Mike, can you, you know, separate points in a text? You seem to get... confused.

A 10 HP Wormwood running from Bats has nothing to do with Quality of Life updates because that Life is not Wormwood's - is the game's. A 10 HP Wormwood running from Bats clearly does something wrong to reach 10 HP and run from said Bats. Something wrong that am sure it has to do with the fact he doesn't know how to play well the game. Probably he is a beginner, perhaps he is sitting in his comfy zone way too much and doesn't learn new things, experiment etc, maybe perhaps probably. Get my drift?

Punctually I for one proposed some QoL elements regarding WorldGen, a bug with ReGrowth, fixing the gradient overlapping, insanity mechanic sounds, hit-boxes etc, stuff that has nothing to do with player skill level. Stuff that is problematic for newbie, noob, middle-of-the-road player and "expert" (advanced) alike. What you desire on the other hand with an actual re-rework of Winona (attention: not game QoL) is some path of helping players with low skill levels. It's clearer now? With a fat cherry on top?! :cupcake:

5 hours ago, Scarecrow0_0 said:

We have mushlight's and glowcap's for near infinite light sources, I think if they went the full infinite it would break the game.

Warrior Pig Torches and the Moonstone already fills the infinite light source niche, it just forces you to base in a specific location.

(Leaving a moon caller's staff in the moon base is free, infinite, large, cold light.)

Adding another source would probably just make it more convenient to base in other locations and not lock yourself to one place.

Uhhh being honest? Not really.. no?

Look- I Simply can’t understand and comprehend why DST has to be Totally Uncompromising ALL of the time.

Some people aren’t super big into the whole Uncompromising part... why do you even think that there are even OPTIONS to turn off Hound Wave attacks, Winter, Spring and Summer Completely, you can Remove Bearger And Deerclops attack’s from ever happening AT ALL..???

So a QoL Buff To Winona’s light to allow it to scare away bats and also to Auto target the player who is furthest away from the light and without a light source- This IS just as much a QoL update as Anything that your suggesting.

You just clearly don’t seem to see it that way because the only mindset you seem to have is “Learn the game or stop Playing.” 

28 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

dude if wormwood at 10hp dies for batilisk then in th next run he will take more care with his hp and where he goes

this is a roge lite game. Diying is the way of learning and some players should learn before ask for buffs, nerfs and remove mechanics

30 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Uhhh being honest? Not really.. no?

Look- I Simply can’t understand and comprehend why DST has to be Totally Uncompromising ALL of the time.

Some people aren’t super big into the whole Uncompromising part... why do you even think that there are even OPTIONS to turn off Hound Wave attacks, Winter, Spring and Summer Completely, you can Remove Bearger And Deerclops attack’s from ever happening AT ALL..???

So a QoL Buff To Winona’s light to allow it to scare away bats and also to Auto target the player who is furthest away from the light and without a light source- This IS just as much a QoL update as Anything that your suggesting.

You just clearly don’t seem to see it that way because the only mindset you seem to have is “Learn the game or stop Playing.” 

DST isn't "uncompromising survival" - first compromise was being able to play with someone else, thus potentially having someone to revive you aka mitigating your world reset.

You can totally set Only Autumn, Only Day, lots of resources, positive mobs, no negative mobs, no giants etc. Have a feast bonanza. This can totally be a start in learning the game from its basics in a very permissive environment. But Default Settings is how KLei envisioned playing the game; and, again, it has its DS "uncompromising survival" toned down. Adapting and improving to those Default Settings is how you "win at the game".

Plus no one said “Learn the game or stop Playing”. Rather “Learn the game or stop giving bad advice and uneducated feedback”. Or at least stop expecting changes from said "uneducated feedback”. Is ok to acknowledge your own limits and try to improve. Is ok to go at the game "blindfolded" (no prior info at all) and discover it by dying again-and-again - as someone stated, is a Roguelike-ish game. But also a sandbox, so you can choose anything really. Social party with friends or Scarcity and Monsters galore and everything in between. But again: admit the limits of your momentary knowledge and that your limited game experience might make you biased in suggestions toward lowering general skill level needed to prevail over intended Default Settings difficulty. When you'll reach said level you will know that a 10 HP Wormwood running from Bats means that particular player is generally doing something wrong.

There's some things that should have you just learn the game and be better, and some things that need genuine Quality of Life changes. I think quality of life should be something that fixes a problem with the game, I think.

Spoiler

Something like making Winona's light target players in a better way would be very much a Quality of Life thing, targetting players who are furthest away and without any previous light source is a good idea! Making it completely negate an entire enemy (i could just build a bunch of them around every area with sinkholes, and the bats would just leave me alone, removing all the challenge from the bats spawning sinkholes) which takes away a challenge, not an annoyance (though one could argue that bats are just an annoyance, you technically have to fight them. One could also call Hound waves an annoyance instead of a challenge, though, so that is kind of subjective but.. eh.)

While I understand that some of @Mike23Ua's Post might sometimes contain flawed ideas (more often than not), that doesn't  mean that it's okay to be rude to him in the replies. Regardless of whether Mike is new, average, or even an advanced player, he's still a person. If you know that one of his posts is wrong, tell him in a nice manner! Understand each other's point of view! You can be wrong, and that's okay, as long as you acknowledge it without being rude.

And Mike, you've been an active member of the forums and it would be a shame if you stopped giving your input. Your ideas are as important as anyone else's, but again, you have to understand where you're right and where you're wrong too! Being wrong doesn't justify people treating you badly, but you have to understand that if you insist in an idea that has been proven flawed and you still insist on it, you have to understand that people won't have the patience to explain it over and over. If you're confused as to what the other person means, just tell them! Without any passive aggressive "You guys are so weird, and make no sense.". You'll find a lot more positive responses if you do that. 

But that's just me. I think the game would benefit from a few quality of life changes, but I also think that i'd rather see the new content first. if they do one alongside the other, that's just a bonus to me ^w^

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

We have you haven't. You seem to yearning for this game to become the big d**k challenge of sirvival games like the shin megami tensi series is the big d**k challenge of jrpgs. Yet at the the same time, you want this game to more noob friendly and give items more properties to ignore challenge. You are the one who os confusing us. Besides, its your own damn fault for basing near a cave hole if you despise batalisks so much. While there may be a large amount of them, there is easily enough leway to not be in the bats aggro range. There is also the fact that cave holes can't spawn in deserts, sonif you really wanted to, just go live there tonignore the bats. There is plwnty of solutions to your problem that of you just looked up on the internet could aolve your problem, and thats the main point, you don't do your research. You are ifnoring all our advice to just look it up and atop being mis informed if you are going to disscuss topics like this because, without it, you are misjudged on how hard something really is or how you can easily kill something. QoL changes don't mean that you can fufill your fantasy of being able to stand around, doing nothing, and still being able to succeed. Your suggestion doesn't make a item more easily useable or more access able, you just made a counter for a problem that you specifically have that could possibley effect no one else. Your suggestion is heavily personalized and would probly go unnoticed accept by you, as your the only one who would need it.

You guys are so confusing sometimes.. -

You are so bipolar on your opinions that it gives me whiplash and befuddles me every time I read them. 

.. -sigh- I give up, From now on I Think I’ll just rather not provide any input on anything because it’s just going to ultimately be shot down by the more knowledgeable players. :( Thanks

Are you playing the victim card? Wow, that is low. We are not mad at you because your a noob at the game, as we have all been there at some point. In fact, the first post I made to the forums was asking questions about shipwrecked, because I was doing research and asking questions that made me a better and more knowlageable player. You don't do that. You instead go out of your way to avoid difficult content that we are disscussing. You don't do research into the topic and instead just complain about the game being too easy/hard for you instead of trying to better yourself. Finally, you seem to want both the game to be so easy a 3 year old play it while also being so difficult a veteran would still sweat moment by moment. You can't play the victim because you have done nothing to try get the content you want and instead want God to hand it to you on a silver plate. 

Look- I Simply can’t understand and comprehend why DST has to be Totally Uncompromising ALL of the time

That's loke saying why there can't be spheres in minecraft. It linked to the games identity and the people you play that want to have that experience. This isn't some game where there is multiple aspects that a player can want to experience, its a survival game through and through and that os what people want, not the teetering between baby and pro you seem to want the game to be.

Because that is world customization, not difficulty adjustment. Every single thing in that menu comes with a cost and beneifit. Want more clockworks? They are going to be everywhere but you are going to be rich in gears. Want no hounds? Well live with the fact you won't get free meat every couple days and the only form of progressional difficulty. You seem to think that the simplly adding or removong something from the world could linearly increase or decrease the difficulty, when that is just not the case.

Maybe, but because you are refusing to learn means that you are not attributing your opinions with accurate knowlage. You are like a anti vaxxer, a person who has strong opinions but inaccurate knowlage. You are head strong in your arguments and refuse to take anuone elses answer, which is fine, but you are misinformed and thus so are your opinions are too. Just because we respect your right to having a opinon, doesn't mean we have to like what that opinion is.

Wait.. are you seriously trying to tell me that turning Winter & Summer off completely doesn’t make the game any easier? Lol wow uh okay.

Im just going to agree to disagree here, please carry on your conversations respectfully and without insults. Peace Out.

Hummm, this poll needs some non-gameplay QOL options. I think the games needs some QOL updates, but not any that you have listed so I couldn't complete the poll.

I would like to see some optimizations. The biggest being able to host dedicated servers in 64 bit :wilson_laugh:

Also, adding in hyperthreading processes would be huge too!

On 5/5/2020 at 6:49 PM, Mike23Ua said:

Wait.. are you seriously trying to tell me that turning Winter & Summer off completely doesn’t make the game any easier? Lol wow uh okay.

Im just going to agree to disagree here, please carry on your conversations respectfully and without insults. Peace Out.

Given his spesific Examples, he's not saying that Turning off those seasons doesn't make the game easier. He's saying that making those changes comes with a cost. If you turn off winter, you no longer have too deal with the cold of Clopsy, but You no longer have access too things like the Tam o shanter, Walking cane, or Eyebrella. You're making a sacrifice inorder too have that lower difficulty.

Also, Don't Starve/together are Games designed around dieing. If that Wormwood dies too batalisks, he now knows A. to avoid batalisks if he's not protected, and B. Too avoid mining unnessesary cave plugs. Him dieing is exactly what the game intended.

Archived