Excess Hounds Teeth

Does anybody else have the issue of having too much hound's teeth? I feel like for the amount of hounds you are forced into facing, there's really not a lot you can do with them. Of course there's tooth traps, but there's only so many you need for a panic corner - and for those that might just fight hounds head-on or use a middle man to take them out (like Beefalo or a Bearger) they're stuck with a whole lot of teeth.

As for what to do with all these teeth, I think it's as simple as have new recipes using teeth. (Obviously implementing new items into the game isn't that simple, I know.) A new weapon using teeth, kind of like a shark tooth club or maybe a flail.Or another idea would be to use teeth as a crafting material, maybe able to be refined into a calcium powder to heal you, or maybe something that has uses to be explored within the unraveling of Return of Them.

Do you guys have any other ideas for using hound's teeth? Is this a problem you guys find yourselves dealing with, too? Or is it just me?

Hounds teeth are the item that you have too little of day 100 and you want to feed to a lureplant day 1000.

The only use I can see for them late game aside from repairing and making tooth traps if you are into those is crafting darts. They are expensive (1 tooth 2 reeds and 1 feather), but they are pretty potent for hound attacks on the go. Problem is you probably won’t get enough reeds and/or feathers without a Reed trap and Wicker playing, which really restricts how many you can make.

If you really don’t care about the reward compared to the investment, you can always do ridiculously odd things, like turning them all into dapper vests. In my current world, I make a breezy/puffy vest out of every koalaphent that dies. It’s completely redundant since I’m the only one playing and I never use vests, but I find it silly enough to keep crafting them.

Well to be fair that's like every item in ds/t

You need them the most early on, when you don't have a stable source of said item. And once you make a source/farm of said item you don't need it anymore

4 minutes ago, MrNaxeros said:

Make a tooth shrine in the centre of gigantic formation made of teeth in the form of a tooth.

Make tooth sacrifaces with Hounds and prey for the toothy blessings of good fortune.

Then a lureplant finds its way in there, ruining your shrine.

I'd suggest making a tooth trap field the size of an entire biome.

I'm thinking of posting that as a challenge and a promise of a reward in the form of skins to the first person who does the said challenges, but I'm in no financial position to provide rewards of any sort XD

8 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Hound teeth melee weapons whatever they may be :encouragement:

A log covered in teeth, and when you miss, you hit yourself, or a tooth falls out. Chances are hammering in hounds teeth into a plank or log might be the best way to get rid of them

I am currently in a public server that is around day 1200 and said server HAS a reed trap. I don't normally like switching to Wickerbottom, but for the general good and since the other regular wicker doesn't like going out of the base, I've been farming reeds and blue feathers non-stop (and sacks, I got everyone's sack). So this world now never has a chest of teeth, since everyone keeps using them for their darts.
I'm also thinking about making a varg farm, since we're always running out of teeth...

Anyway, that said, this is probably the "only" condition where having too much hound teeth is actually good, for the other 99% of the possible servers then its most likely going to be lureplant food, or huge tooth trap fields. Or both.

I passed 2000 days with one trap field, and then I just made a 2nd one. Still have a full chest and some on the ground, but I guess I'll do a third and a fourth one, in order to deal with hounds wherever I am.

A full biome ? Damn... I'll need a lot of... grass !

I wish we could add teeth on hambat, more damage for less durability ?

9 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

But yes, some really-useful weapons using them would do (not weak ranged ones I might add). Hound teeth melee weapons whatever they may be

I always wanted something like a tooth bat that was essentially just a craftable tentacle spike.

8 hours ago, Ryne21 said:

Klei should add a tooth fairy :D

Knowing Klei it will either be a pun, like tooth berry, a fat berry that flies like a fairy, eats teeth, and poops berries, or something horrible like the tooth un-fairy, a giant monster.

57 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Knowing Klei it will either be a pun, like tooth berry, a fat berry that flies like a fairy, eats teeth, and poops berries, or something horrible like the tooth un-fairy, a giant monster.

or tooth ferry that takes you across the ocean 

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

A tooth fairy that.. knocks the teeth out of your mouth; with a sturdy ol' big boot :beaten:

Archived