Should DST on pc get achievements?

Should DST on PC get achievements?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it should get achievements?

• No
    • Yes

First of all, yeah we have the console, I always have a mod that disables it and I never use it, except in test worlds. And they could make it that if you use the console all achievements get disabled. So.. I am kinda jealous of the console players, because they have got achievements while we PC players don't. I don't really understand why, it could be possible and it could give players more goals and reasons to do stuff, as an achievement hunter myself, I really love putting effort on unlocking achievements, and since DST is my favorite game of all time, it kinda makes me wonder, why doesn't the PC version of this game include achievements while the console versions do.

The whole "Klei doesn't like achievements" thing is absurdly outdated at this point, since both Forge and Gorge had like 20 achievements each. 

The achievements can range from "craft a spear" to "kill Deerclops" to "kill the ancient fuelweaver." with maybe separate achievements for killing them solo.

Ofc, achievement unlocking would be disabled if the console is used or mods are enabled.

Just now, Canis said:

The whole "Klei doesn't like achievements" thing is absurdly outdated at this point, since both Forge and Gorge had like 20 achievements each. 

I just want a version of the achievement trophy so that people can hammer it for materials.:wilson_ecstatic:

3 minutes ago, Canis said:

The achievements can range from "craft a spear" to "kill Deerclops" to "kill the ancient fuelweaver." with maybe separate achievements for killing them solo.

Ofc, achievement unlocking would be disabled if the console is used or mods are enabled.

hmm.. you are correct :( people would abuse mods.. and I'm sure that 

Spoiler

you and I couldn't play with our character mods.

No thanks. I like the lack of knowledge the game gives you.

16 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

it kinda makes me wonder, why doesn't the PC version of this game include achievements while the console versions do.

I believe Sony and Microsoft demanded there be achievements on the console versions of the game. Or something similar to that

6 minutes ago, Hornete said:

No thanks. I like the lack of knowledge the game gives you.

I believe Sony and Microsoft demanded there be achievements on the console versions of the game. Or something similar to that

so is that why there are achievements on nearly every console game..?... Wow

I always liked achievements on games, and if there's none, I simply create some myself along of the default game's goals !

But regarding DST, I've made a topic months ago about the game achievements that already exist, but only on console, and I kinda think they were terribly quick to finish (not surprising tbh) so I'm pretty sure this was intended to give a look to console players to have a vast idea of what you can do on the game and stuff, so if there was some on Steam or ingame as The Forge/Gorge, I'd like them to be something more entertaining and maybe unique to each world (like Minecraft to compare)

But yeah this is very unlikely to happen, you'd better make your own goals when you play and challenge yourself to complete them, or use achievements mods... but they're terribly broken...

I don't think I should have a say in if Klei should add them or not as I think that they'll add them when they're ready to. Not gonna lie, I personally don't want their focus to be taken away from updates just to make achievements, but that's only my opinion.

Achievements on Xbox can be used to get the player to do something that they otherwise WOULDN’T Ever Do.

For Example there is a Secret Boss fight in Batman Arkham Knight where you can fight Killer Croc, But in order to even get him to spawn you have to perform a 300 hit combo without using ANY of Batman’s Gadgets and Without being hit.

Something No one is going to do.. without an Achievement that tells them to do it.

Theres an Achievement in Spelunky for getting a Key in the first level and carrying it all the way to the last level- An almost impossible task, because to carry it requires not being able to use your ropes or bombs.

My point? DST can have Achievements such as the following 

“Island of the Misfit Toys”

Obtain the Bee Queens Crown, Malbatross Sail, And Deerclops Eye. And Carry all those items with you on a boat to the Lunar Island.

In ONE Achievement this tells other players that you’ve found the Lunar Islands, Killed the Bee Queen, Malbatross And Deerclops.

The TL:DR- Achievements can be used for bragging rights, and to also get players to do something they normally WOULD NEVER Do.

(I hate Acomploshrine with a Burning passion..)  

I'd avoid achievements because while they're kind of nice, they don't really add anything, but what it will add is players on public servers doing annoying stuff to try to get specific achievements when otherwise they'd be perfectly happy just surviving. Say there's an achievement for boating to the edge of the map, enjoy that one guy every game who wastes 3 days doing that, or that wolfgang who gets mad at you because you got the final hit in on deerclops and he wanted the achievement.  I doubt you or that wolfgang is going to be having fun.

I always thought they were kinda pointless. Most achievements are given to you for basic gameplay, and they feel really condescending like that. "Oh look, you played the game! Good job!" We're not in preschool anymore. We shouldn't still be seeking gratification from little stickers.

No, I'd rather development time go towards something else. Besides, the achievements from the Forge and Gorge were a blast to complete for the extra curio chests, so maybe save them for any future events if they plan on bringing them back. 

2 hours ago, Terra M Welch said:

You mean steam achievements? I've never really seen the point in them.

I personally am obsessed with them. I must complete every game 100%, if I don't I just feel upset. At this point, I even refuse to buy games where there are very difficult achievements.

As I understand it, they did something really similar with IN-game achievements, a long time ago...and it didn't turn out well.  Basically, what happened is way back in the early beta (alpha?) days of the game, they had little goals up at the top of the screen (or did Maxwell pop in and say them?  I forget) which were like "Survive (blank) days" or "Collect (Number) of (Thing)", or whatever. The problem is, the players immediately started doing _nothing but what was required for the achievements_, and then felt lost and had no motivation to keep playing after they'd achieved them all.  In other words it CONSTRAINED their playing, rather than giving them an idea of what were _some_ things to _possibly_ shoot for. 

Here's a lInk to the original article--long, but good readin'.

So I think THAT'S why Don't Starve proper doesn't have achievements, and why they only _grudgingly_ added them to the console versions...

Now, that was a long-ass time ago (2012, and a response to a talk from 2010--TEN YEARS AGO!) so perhaps now, after all this time and experience, Klei _could_ add decentish acievements to the Steam version of DST and regular DS...if they wanted to.  Steam achievements are often stupid (or START with stupid ones, at least--usually they get harder as you go along) but they don't _have_ to be.  They can just like...not DO stuff like "turn the game on" and "reach level 1" (make your first axe?  kill your first rabbit?) or whatever.

However if this happens at _all_, I think it should be a very low-priority task to be only done after a LOT of more important stuff happens.

...Notorious

7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Achievement Unlocked:

Queen Of Shadows

Unlock Charlie as a Playable Character by defeating Them in Adventures Mode.

Yes I'm hopeful, hopeful for today. And I'm still using that mod for now.. The great modder, fixed most of the annoying bugs :) Plus that wouldn't be a thing on pc because you can CHEAT everything in, like I cheated to get Uncle Maxwell

3 hours ago, Canis said:

It's not outdated, it's wrong, or misleading the least. Klei isn't against achievements in general, just look at their other games, like ONI, Hot Lava or Invisible Inc. 

DS/T is really different from them because it doesn't give you a tutorial, explanation on mechanics, tactics, the players is left alone (or together) to figure out what to do and how to survive and then thrive. And this hasn't changed since DS' first release. 

The Forge and Gorge were different, because those had a clear goal that the players had to reach to win. DS/T doesn't have a goal or an objecive "end" (aparf from Adventure Mode). 

3 hours ago, Canis said:

How could Klei make sure that people don't "cheat" to get the achievements? The game is basically open-source, modders will most likely find a way to bypass the devs' safety measuremenets. Unless players could get achievements only on servers checked by Klei... which I'm pretty sure they don't have the resources to do (or, you could get them only on those few Klei Officials...)

Also, should people really be forced to choose between mods and achievements? Most of my friends play on modded servers. Should they then have no chance of getting them, or having to play vanilla?

It's really too bad that there's no good way for an automatic algorithm to tell the difference between what constitues an "okay" mod and what's an "overpowered" one.  Like, many of the mods I use are purely cosmetic.  They do NOTHING for gameplay.  However, if I wanted an Achievement Run world, I'd have to turn them _all_ off and have plain all-one-colour pig houses, trinkets, catcoons, pigs, butterflies and bunnies again.  Bah.

And then there are the mods that actually make things more DIFFICULT, such as Hard Mode, Uncompromising, the one where you bleed and get specific wounds and it takes longer to heal, and Thirst.  Or at least more unpredictable, such as Actual Season Randomiser, which can hurt OR help you, depending on your favourite/least favourite seasons and how prepared you are.  (So far, my current run in my latest randomised-season world seems to be mostly on the "hurt" side--I've had multiple long winters and long summers.)

Last but definitely not least there are the _balanced_ mods, which give advantages and disadvantages in such a way that it evens out to more or less the original Klei default difficulty.  This is hard to pull off, but awesome when it happens.

But the game would have no way of _telling_ any of the above from "Invincible One-Punch Man!"  Or at least, it'd be really hard to set that up, I bet.

Me, I'd be sad if I had to turn off my mods for a long time, because they add colour and atmosphere to the game, and more variety. 

Spoiler

My "dream team" of mods would be:

1.  Shipwrecked Characters, in case I want to bust out my second favourite girl Walani again.

2.  Actual Season Randomiser, 'cos regular seasons are BORING.  (Willow sticks her tongue out)

3.  Pickle It! (now that's finally been updated!) because why is only meat preserveable?  Also, more variety of veggies.

4.  Cherry Forest, because I love the look, the atmosphere, the having a new biome to wander around, and the new tree type.

5.  The ORIGINAL version of Thirst, which unfortunately doesn't work anymore.  The new one is too frippy and fancy for my tastes.

6.  Big Birchnuts Together and Evergreens 2Gether, because they let trees become big like real-life trees can.

7.  And my assortment of cosmetic mods by Jasper, such as Animal and Trinket Variety and Painted Pig Houses.

Other stuff I use sometimes, such as Birds and Berries, Retrieve Stuff from the Ocean, Bigger Boats, Put Different Stuff on Endtables, and Pet Statues would be optional.  And if I feel insane, maybe the Megarandom/Multilands world again, though I'm not sure if that still works.

But I could make myself make one pure vanilla world and play it for long enough to get the achievements that seem doable.  I wouldn't have to get ALL of them.  The ones that seem difficult and outside my range a _bit_ but possible could be fun, though.

Then I'd be back to whacking things with my pickle sword as a GIGANTIC tree burns down in the background on the 25th day of summer, while an orange catcoon pounces off to the side and cherry petals blow across the screen.  : P

...Notorious

Archived