Should DST on pc get achievements?

Should DST on PC get achievements?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it should get achievements?

• No
    • Yes

I have issues with kiting, and I'm on PC.  

My issue is that I suck at it.   : P

(and don't CARE enough about combat to feel motivated to learn.  It's like "Yeah, I _could_, I guess, but ooh what's this shiny survival-sandbox-related thing over here?")

Anyway my answer to the actual poll is:  "Maybe someday, if it's done right".  So not a flat Yes OR No, but leaning more towards a conditional Yes.

...Notorious

5 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

Rushing the ruins and the guardian is basically easy..

For you sure, but keep in mind there are waves of new players learning as much as they want about the games mechanics, mobs, seasons etc. There are people that have invested alot of time into the game but have never been in ruins or even at the labirynths entrance, same goes to kiting mobs and bosses, everyone performs how they want. It's up to the player whether they want to sharpen their kiting skills and increase their knowledge of the game or not. As to playing on console, can't say much since i don't play on it.

14 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

Plus the rarest achievement on xbox is the "ancient history" where you must kill the ancient guardian... I wonder why. Rushing the ruins and the guardian is basically easy.. I hope console players don't have issues with kiting and stuff :/

Have you ever played this game on a console or with an Xbox controller? It’s not that easy.. like at all.

Button Mapping alone can be enough to kill you from time to time.

DST is a fun game.. but it’s not one built with console game controllers in mind first. :( 

Take Wendy’s Rework as An Example- To Return Abigail into her flower you have to be standing within spear hitting distance of her.

And it requires you to face her and press Left on the Dpad.

Pressing Left on the Dpad also gives Abigails flower to the nearest person next to you.. or if your standing near a campfire- Burns it as a fire source.

To hit anything while using an Xbox Controller requires you to be facing in its direction and looking at it.

Lastly.. To use Elixers on Abigail you have to go Either be beside her and apply it directly to her ghost or go into a Invisible pause menu, where you stop moving completely and you scroll through a tab at the bottom of your screen to grab an Elixir and drag it onto her flower.60387966-AAE5-485D-A462-F793B04603FC.gif.20b6b9b79f0855672d99992031182d99.gif

Spoiler

39 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Have you ever played this game on a console or with an Xbox controller? It’s not that easy.. like at all.

Wait wut ? Playing with a controler is the easyest thing haha playing with a keyboard and a mouse is in my opinion way harder. The problem that you brought up about a controler can still happen with a keyboard and mouse trust me. Giving stuff by mistake to another player while you are trying to cook your food over a fire happens alot with a mouse(at least to me). If you burn abigail's flower by mistake maybe you werent paying enough attention.

I played with a controler on ps4 for god knows how long and tried the game for around 500h on pc and i couldnt get the hang of it with just a keyboard. I feel i have way more control over stuff with a controler then i could with other means.

Moving around feels easyer, kitting feels smoother, the target locking feature can be great and quickly going trough your inventory with the joystick is way more pratical then a mouse in my opinion. 

The only bad thing that i would point out for controlers is the radius of wortox soul hop and the lazy explorer. The range is preset and is really not far if you compare it to pc.

In the end, whether you are playing with a controler or a keyboard, you need to learn properly how to play. Doing mistakes is part of the experience and developing tricks to play with your tool of choice really only comes down to you.

To come back on topic achievements can be a really great thing for completionist, but i really don't think they are necessary for a DST experience. The game is made for trial and error, not to be guided by some goals precrafted by the devs. 

Absolutely not. Achievements are an inflated way to create some sort of imaginary meaning. The beauty of Don't Starve Together is the journey, not the goal. Let the game have an intrinsic meaning; having fun and enjoying the moment. And if a game has achievements on Steam there is no way to hide or get rid of the abomination.

Yes, I loved the achievements in The Forge and The Gorge to 110% percent, but in normal Don't Starve Together it would be an awful thing.

If not mistaken, the only reasons why achievements in the console versions exists is because developers are forced by Sony and their ilk to add them to their games (yeah, look: https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Accomploshrine).

Surviving and going on whimsical adventures with your friends and doing as you please: no artificial goals needed.

Trying to cooperative for a set goal in a scenario that requires coordination and skill to be completed elegantly and as fast as possible, and / or other criteria: yes, achievements and metrics make sense because there is a ladder where you can compare your efforts with other teams.

8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Button Mapping alone can be enough to kill you from time to time.

DST is a fun game.. but it’s not one built with console game controllers in mind first. :( 

Take Wendy’s Rework as An Example- To Return Abigail into her flower you have to be standing within spear hitting distance of her.

And it requires you to face her and press Left on the Dpad.

Pressing Left on the Dpad also gives Abigails flower to the nearest person next to you.. or if your standing near a campfire- Burns it as a fire source.

To hit anything while using an Xbox Controller requires you to be facing in its direction and looking at it.

Lastly.. To use Elixers on Abigail you have to go Either be beside her and apply it directly to her ghost or go into a Invisible pause menu, where you stop moving completely and you scroll through a tab at the bottom of your screen to grab an Elixir and drag it onto her flower.60387966-AAE5-485D-A462-F793B04603FC.gif.20b6b9b79f0855672d99992031182d99.gif

I have an xbox controller.. thanks for letting me know.. Now I'll never use it

11 hours ago, Warlockadamm said:
  Hide contents

Wait wut ? Playing with a controler is the easyest thing haha playing with a keyboard and a mouse is in my opinion way harder. The problem that you brought up about a controler can still happen with a keyboard and mouse trust me. Giving stuff by mistake to another player while you are trying to cook your food over a fire happens alot with a mouse(at least to me). If you burn abigail's flower by mistake maybe you werent paying enough attention.

I played with a controler on ps4 for god knows how long and tried the game for around 500h on pc and i couldnt get the hang of it with just a keyboard. I feel i have way more control over stuff with a controler then i could with other means.

Moving around feels easyer, kitting feels smoother, the target locking feature can be great and quickly going trough your inventory with the joystick is way more pratical then a mouse in my opinion. 

The only bad thing that i would point out for controlers is the radius of wortox soul hop and the lazy explorer. The range is preset and is really not far if you compare it to pc.

In the end, whether you are playing with a controler or a keyboard, you need to learn properly how to play. Doing mistakes is part of the experience and developing tricks to play with your tool of choice really only comes down to you.

To come back on topic achievements can be a really great thing for completionist, but i really don't think they are necessary for a DST experience. The game is made for trial and error, not to be guided by some goals precrafted by the devs. 

I used controller in single player and is way more difficult (even with the inventory pausing the game) than just right click on the item you want

I cant imagine people beating FW with joysticks

I can already see the achievements if it did happen... 

*Achivement unlocked* 

pick up a stick

eat spoiled food

rollback the server

rollback the server 10 times

rollback the server 25 times

rollback the server 200 times

survive 60 days

survive a year without rolling back the server to undo your mistakes. 

and of course

*achivements are disabled if mods are used* so that nobody ever gets an Achivement anyway.

After reading this article (that's pretty hidden away in the support forum), I take back everything that I said in this thread.

https://support.klei.com/hc/en-us/articles/360035456011-Intrinsic-vs-Extrinsic-rewards

This was created (Or maybe edited?) 6 months ago.

Spoiler

This bit gave me a bit of a chuckle.

We don’t explicitly tell you that you should collect the ingredients build an axe so that you can chop down trees so that you can build a fire so that you can survive the night. We just present you with a prominent, navigable list of crafting recipes, and we kill you if you get caught outside for too long without a light source. Oh, and we also delete your saved game, because we’re kinda mean.

31 minutes ago, Canis said:

After reading this article (that's pretty hidden away in the support forum)

Yeah I agree, it's not easy to find it, especially if you don't know about it. Imo Klei shoulc/could post it at a more visible place, because it is an important article about DS/T's gameplay.

Oh, and it was surely edited, not created, 6 month ago, because the (original) article was written back when DS wasn't even out yet.

Archived