Sweepy fun, but useless?

In *big* spaces where materials are constantly generated: Farms/ranches and meteor fields.

auto-sweepers can do a fast job but they are less suitable for wide areas. you need to put tons of auto-sweepers or they are placed in an inconvenience. So auto-sweepers = for factories, kitchens, rocket werehouses (small closed areas) sweepy = ranches/farms/space (big open fields).

However, the problem with puting sweepy in farms is that you can not categorize different foods.

I do not know what is the main intention of the developers in sweepy. maybe there is a hidden use people didnt stumble upon yet. Maybe they want it just to be a quick debris cleaner. If the case is of the latter - I would prefer if it was not just stationary. That there would be an ability to move it around, instead of destroying old one and building new one every time you dig a new area

21 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Ok. I think the discussion ends there. I'm doing this from a standpoint of having tested it. While you've clearly not even tried the testing branch yet.

I am on cycle 1325 of my current testing-branch map, but I am doing space late. So, i re-iterate: Have you tried sweepy on surface Regolith? Or have you not? A plain yes or no will suffice.

11 minutes ago, meepmoop said:

In *big* spaces where materials are constantly generated: Farms/ranches and meteor fields.

auto-sweepers can do a fast job but they are less suitable for wide areas. you need to put tons of auto-sweepers or they are placed in an inconvenience. So auto-sweepers = for factories, kitchens, rocket werehouses (small closed areas) sweepy = ranches/farms/space (big open fields).

Pretty much my thought. The problem with regolith is less the amount and more the large area it comes in on. 

guys, i think @Saturnus is a conveyor rail/sweeper arm salesman. He's giving you the hard sell!

in other news, maybe not everyone understands how to use conveyors/sweepers. or its too advance (need high skills to build it) or maybe they have performance issues from rails. Automation is extremely complicated and daunting for some people.

re: sweepies power use, i would guess that maybe it will be adjusted, but even if not, power is a really easy and basic mechanic in this game and so i would be confident that most all players could support it.

alternatively, maybe they just don't care and want to use sweepy because its hella adorable and funny and you know, this is a GAME... played for fun

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, thewreckedangle said:

guys, i think @Saturnus is a conveyor rail/sweeper arm salesman. He's giving you the hard sell!

in other news, maybe not everyone understands how to use conveyors/sweepers. or its too advance (need high skills to build it) or maybe they have performance issues from rails. Automation is extremely complicated and daunting for some people.

re: sweepies power use, i would guess that maybe it will be adjusted, but even if not, power is a really easy and basic mechanic in this game and so i would be confident that most all players could support it.

alternatively, maybe they just don't care and want to use sweepy because its hella adorable and funny and you know, this is a GAME... played for fun

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thank you. Let's just back up off the math for a sec and look at the little thing go. It's cute and my dupes like it. At every turn in this game we are faced with the real life problem of inexact definition and interpretation. The math stacks up for those who make it do so. For all else there's another solution.

2 hours ago, thewreckedangle said:

Did you even read the thread title? It's not a Klei brown-nosing thread but more an exploration whether or not the sweepy is actually useful for anything, and is better than existing solutions.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

Did you even read the thread title?

did YOU even read my post? oh no, wait you were too busy giving the same old insult

Klei brown-nosing

3 hours ago, thewreckedangle said:

maybe not everyone understands how to use conveyors/sweepers. or its too advance (need high skills to build it) or maybe they have performance issues from rails. Automation is extremely complicated and daunting for some people.

whether or not the sweepy is actually useful for anything, and is better than existing solutions.

this is entirely subjective.

image.png.d851d51337615fd4cd5b880836185a08.png

On 2/25/2020 at 10:56 AM, Zarquan said:

I think it could be useful in an ethanol plant, where it can sweep up all the polluted dirt without having to allocate space for multiple sweepers and loaders.  This reasoning can apply to almost any building with solid outputs, including the water sieve, the fertilizer synthesizer, polymer press, farms (as you said) etc.

Also, in the mess hall, dupes regularly get interrupted while eating and leave food on the floor.  A sweepy can pick up after the messy dupes and prevent food from rotting.

It can essentially act as a weaker but longer range sweeper arm in builds, which is good.

didnt even come to mind about the great hall and eating point! It actually sounds very nice.I dont like having auto-sweepers because they dont fit well into my kind of great halls (I like them certain size and with paintings) but having a sweepy solves that!

I should try to implement it in my current colony (once I take care of other stuff...). thanks for the idea.

What kind of temperatures can sweepy handle? I can think of a couple metal volcanoes that could use periodic repositioning of really hot stuff.

I generally don't use sweepers/conveyors/rails for pretty much anything, so I'm looking forward to using the little guy.

1 hour ago, oosyrag said:

I can see him being useful in carnivore runs to remove eggs from stables before auto sweepers can be built due to lack of skill points.

If not pip ranch you can use mech door as a floor and use critter sensor to drop all eggs down.

3 hours ago, speckle21 said:

"Sweepy fun, but useless?"

I'm not sure about you guys, but i play this game for fun. :D

You are doing it wrong!

(Well, actually you are doing it right, but some people here seem to have a different approach...)

Makes me wonder that noone complainsz about that

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

Nonononon, Sweepy cleaning up the dropped oil instead of me using 6 or so aqua suckers.

But sweepy seems to use 25 kg refined metal, each time it has to recharge.
When you remove the stored refined metal,dupes supply fresh one.
robo100.thumb.PNG.57e51d89de1bc4ef5a5af48d7df624ab.PNG

75.thumb.PNG.6f722fe51b2a6310e5e0cea6d6bd5463.PNG

When i get that right, then i like such permanent consumers not much.

Perhaps it would be better instead, to increase construction cost for sweepy, like: 200 kg plastic+200kg refined metal+200KgGlass.

1 hour ago, Oozinator said:

Makes me wonder that noone complainsz about that

But sweepy seems to use 25 kg refined metal, each time it has to recharge.
When you remove the stored refined metal,dupes supply fresh one.
robo100.thumb.PNG.57e51d89de1bc4ef5a5af48d7df624ab.PNG

75.thumb.PNG.6f722fe51b2a6310e5e0cea6d6bd5463.PNG

When i get that right, then i like such permanent consumers not much.

Perhaps it would be better instead, to increase construction cost for sweepy, like: 200 kg plastic+200kg refined metal+200KgGlass.

I didn't notice dupes continually delivering to the sweepy dock when I was messing with it.  If that is the case, then sweepy is a non-starter for me.  Almost anything that consumes metal continually isn't worth the power in my mind.

But I don't think that's the case.  I think it only consumes metal while building a sweepy.  I'll check again some time tonight.

As Klei said during the last stream, Sweepy is design to be use during the early game, so before the auto-sweeper. It's an help for beginner to manage the ressource storage.

The real point is we need more robots like this to cover the mid and late games, and given in the databases, Sweepy is in "Robots" categories, I think we can hope more content in the future.

20 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

But I don't think that's the case.  I think it only consumes metal while building a sweepy.  I'll check again some time tonight.

Me not sure too ^^
Had sweepy run for 50 cycles without refined metal, no problem.
Mhh weird

Archived