Sweepy fun, but useless?

1 hour ago, Oozinator said:

Had sweepy run for 50 cycles without refined metal, no problem.

I didn't notice refined metal cost when playing survival.
Experimented with it in Sandbox and Sweepy doesn't leave dock if no refined metal is delivered. After the first delivery it didn't consume any extra refined metal.

My first dock required 10kg of refined metal, second one 25kg, third 50kg, fourth 100kg (accordingly with tooltip)...... but strangely, any amount delivered (like 5kg) satisfied the requirement and none had to be delivered again to make sweepy works forever.

Atm you need at least a minimal amount of refined metal to get it started which is odd and doesn't match what the tooltip says.
image.png

12 minutes ago, gtllama said:

Could it be that the dock requires refined metal to create a new sweepy bot? So when you build a sweepy dock, you're really just building the dock, then the dock uses a little refined metal to create a new sweepy bot.

That is my impression as well.

Actually I'm confused testing this.

Each Sweepy consumes 25kg of refined metal to be created.

However, duplicants will deliver to the docks until they're filled with 75kg(?) of refined metal if there is any available. 

In adition, tooltip says 10kg of refined metal required on the first dock and the next ones 100kg. If you have no refined metal they'll show the red icon and tooltip will say 10kg needed.

44 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

Actually I'm confused testing this.

Each Sweepy consumes 25kg of refined metal to be created.

However, duplicants will deliver to the docks until they're filled with 75kg(?) of refined metal if there is any available. 

That explains why I found 75kg of refined metal in the dock after a dupe had delivered 100kg and a sweepy was created. I had wondered about that.

On 2/26/2020 at 1:38 PM, meepmoop said:

didnt even come to mind about the great hall and eating point! It actually sounds very nice.I dont like having auto-sweepers because they dont fit well into my kind of great halls (I like them certain size and with paintings) but having a sweepy solves that!

I should try to implement it in my current colony (once I take care of other stuff...). thanks for the idea.

Auto sweepers inside the great hall will no longer make it a great hall.  Only way to use the sweeper is having a prismatic cage above the the great hall where it can sweep thru the ceiling doors and still give the room hall room bonus status. 

1 hour ago, RonEmpire said:

Auto sweepers inside the great hall will no longer make it a great hall.  Only way to use the sweeper is having a prismatic cage above the the great hall where it can sweep thru the ceiling doors and still give the room hall room bonus status. 

Auto sweeper is not an Industry Machine. It can be placed within Great Hall or any room.

3 hours ago, Ozcuraz said:

Auto sweeper is not an Industry Machine. It can be placed within Great Hall or any room.

Maybe I'm thinking loaders then but one of them will disable the bonus room. Maybe I'm thinking loaders then but one of them will disable the bonus room. Regardless you still need a prismatic cage to move them.   I tested the loader once and it definitely broke room bonus.   Will check sweeper again. 

Just now, RonEmpire said:

1 hour ago, RonEmpire said:

Maybe I'm thinking loaders then but one of them will disable the bonus room. Maybe I'm thinking loaders then but one of them will disable the bonus room. Regardless you still need a prismatic cage to move them.   I tested the loader once and it definitely broke room bonus.   Will check sweeper again. 

Not to mention to have autosweepers and loaders would require the number of autosweepers required to keep a great hall clean scales linearly with the number of mess tables.  If you have a simple row of tables, that is 1 sweeper and one loader per 9 table or 2 sweepers and one loader per 16 tables.  This could easily overload simple circuits.  Whereas sweepy is just one 2x2 building you could put to the side outside the room.

im a bit biased because im the one who specifically requested a 'roomba' like bot about 2 years ago(maybe longer lol)
BUT as far as im concerned sweepy is pretty amazing when you stack them and make long floors together. it does seems that the internal battery is garbage tho, their should either be a mod that has tier 1-5 sweepies, to help iterate and enumerate the game, or the default sweepy need a battery and move speed overhaul.

I just thought of another use case.  I recently dug out a large area of a salt biome to make more housing and now I have to get rid of the bleach stone.  I hate having chlorine in my living areas, so it is currently under a skim of water.  I don't want the dupes to have anything to do with it because I might have a bleach stone sweep order out there somewhere and they might track bleach stone through my base.  I'm not running my current base on the beta branch, but I want to build a sweepy to gather it all in to one place so I can drain the water out of the area and build my nature reserve.

Instead of building around 7 autosweepers, I could build one sweepy and it would eventually clear out the bleach stone, almost certainly by the time I am ready to build the area.

A similar argument can be made with slimelung infested slime if you don't have 100% atmosuits.

Archived