Short Evolution of the Constants design. (Is the constant really such a bad place?)

So I feel I'm not the only one who noticed. But ever since the change of art styles through the years of dont starve, they seem to make the constant have a more friendlier and pretty look compared to how the constant's grim and  grey-ish design. It even now looks like a suprisingly interesting place that I would want to live in. So I decided to look back over a few designs of the constant and give it a short look over.

Wilson_TEOTB_Trailer.jpg.7136a79e37b50f4dcd296344c4b608c2.jpg

(Vanilla Dont starve where everything was grey, no sky or nothing even the grass was shallow and grey almost like a shadow at least in this image. Theres nothing really much to tell about the artsyle since it sort of just feels... empty... though, It gives a voidless and empty feeling pretty well.)

20191230_080634.jpg.08e76ab4e736b460462db6bbfb52fcc6.jpg

(A picture of the tragic torch comic taken during the metheus puzzle  which was about around the beginning of a new reign. Which the art style still keeps the colorless feeling of the constant before, giving it a colorless and void feeling but the artsyle changed to fit more into the chibi style the game has which is nice touch showing detail to things we see in the game with more life and feeling even adding a sun and moon to tell that time has changed. It's also personally my favorite style)

Screenshot_20191230-091148_YouTube.thumb.jpg.c2dced540450171de91a760a07885d52.jpg

(The possessions trailer during before return of them took place but at the very start of the 2019 roadmap. Now this might be hard to judge since the artsyle was done this way on purpose to tell a child's storybook type of vibe, but everything is extremely colorful and the sky has a color besides the classic voidless prison grey we usually see. And you can sort of tell that the season is autumn with all the vibrant colors of yellow and orange.)

Screenshot_20191230-090724_YouTube.thumb.jpg.83518b3a5937646f3700caf6e52ea2b4.jpg

(this one is also hard to tell since again, it was done on purpose to give a vibe of a warm summer day to motivate wilson to go out and give fishing a shot the detail is extremely well and the sky gives out a really vibrant feel and is extremely colorful! Also interesting enough there's actual real life clouds. Which now it makes me wonder, how big is the actual constant? Considering there is a moon and sun)Screenshot_20191230-090659_YouTube.thumb.jpg.9a6678180b38241116579a686bceedcd.jpg

Sorry that this seems a bit short, (I had to rewrite this three times from technical difficulties I was actually done on my second try and my tab for some reason backed out making me lose half my progress... ;-;) this was a thing I really wanted to talk about for a while and in no way I'm disapproving the new friendly and welcoming artsyle for the constant, I think it looks neat and shows that the constant is an actually living and breathing ecosystem rather then some voidless prison are characters are trapped in. And it really shows how big the constant really is other then when maxwell had power over it (I wonder if Charlie made the new creatures for the return of them like the skittersquids. What do other people think of the constant's "character development"?

I don't think it's the Constant that is changing but the character's perception of it. They've been there for how many 1000's of days? I think the new shorts show the characters really starting to find comfort in their predicament. 

It's interesting that the community experience is seemingly canon to the story line. We struggle to survive for years, make friends, get good, explore new worlds, and eventually just start comfortably "hanging out" in the Constant. 

53 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

Feels like they are conditioning people to accept a less dangerous, more casual friendly world.

The Hook Line and Inker trailer literally has Wilson's fishing get ruined by Skittersquids assaulting him, and then shows the Gingerbread Pigs getting chased by a creature that intends to eat them while they're still alive and oinking. Both the HL&I and Winter's Feast parts of the trailer imo feel like they're meant to lure you into a false sense of security, by showing something cute and fun, and then following it up with a reminder that the Constant isn't made to accommodate cute and fun. I feel this is also apparent in the Winter's Feast event itself, the Gingerbread Pigs are the silly, cute, and cartoony interpretation of a gingerbread man, and that silliness completely falls apart once you follow one and either find them crawling legless out of their collapsed houses, or find a gingerbread-dog-abomination that eats them alive while dripping icing out of every orifice.

Not everything is some kind of conspiracy by Klei to take away our uncompromising wilderness survival game full of science and magic.You play as Wilson, an intrepid Gentleman Scientist who has been trapped by a demon and transported to a mysterious wilderness world. Wilson must learn to exploit his environment and its inhabitants if he ever hopes to escape and find his way back home.Enter a strange and unexplored world full of strange creatures, dangers, and surprises. Gather resources to craft items and structures that match your survival style. Play your way as you unravel the mysteries of this strange land.

I mean they are probably bored with dying and getting revived over and over again and being miserable all the time. They just don't get scared of death anymore. They don't know how long will they be there aswell so they started appreciate what they have there and eachother becouse they've been through a lot together and at the end each of them will return to their time and probably never see eachother again.

1 hour ago, Ogrecakes said:

Feels like they are conditioning people to accept a less dangerous, more casual friendly world.

I don't think it'll be less dangerous, but we're getting more tools to deal with the dangers for sure. The game  also inherently can't be "casual" friendly since there's a required amount of learning necessary to really play the game let alone the practice to be able to put that knowledge to use. 

I do agree that the game is getting more "welcoming" to new players but I think that's a good thing. If new players can survive just a LITTLE bit longer and really get into the game then I think we'll have a lot more player retention. If you're here at the forums then you're probably already in the top 1% of players. You have to remember that most players struggle to get through winter, and most of those players quit before ever killing Deerclops. I'm all for anything to keep those people around. 

In Season 2 of their DST playthroughs, Stumpt had one person playing as a modded TF2 Engineer character, and he built an actual TF2 turret.  Fully upgraded, tons of normal ammo, also small missiles.

...a pissed-off treeguard STOMPED it in only a few hits.

So yeah...  XD

Anyway, as for it getting more and more "noob friendly", well...lots of new stuff keeps being added to help survival.  But you have to KNOW that this stuff is even available, let alone how to craft it, or how/where to obtain the ingredients for it . So, the game also keeps getting more COMPLICATED.  I, for example, can't even do my already-elaborate March of Civilization challenge anymore, because there's SO MUCH NEW STUFF!  I'll have to completely re-write the thing to make it even _slightly_ still work. And I'm a veteran of almost 900 hours, and a fair few in regular DS before.

...NOW imagine how overwhelming this would all be to someone who hadn't seen _any_ of this before...  Not only some new stuff to learn and get used to on top of things they already knew.  EVERYTHING.  ALL OF IT. Is just as new as any other part, and without any guidance you have no idea what's a good idea to start with, and what's considered end-game material!

So...cuter and fluffier _appearing_?  Well, kinda...(mutant moon creatures wave at the camera).  But ACTUALLY safer?

Notsomuch.  Adorable kids-book drawing style hiding the fact that EVERYTHING IS TRYING TO KILL YOU has always been Don't Starve's thing, and I think it always will be.  You can totally get distracted by all the stuff listed in the crafting menus...to the point where you even forget to light a fire in time.  (I've seen this happen multiple times, and that was the OLDER versions of the game.)  Just because stuff exists doesn't mean everybody knows how to USE it properly--or _when_ to even try.

...Notorious

On 31/12/2019 at 3:43 AM, Sunset Skye said:

The Hook Line and Inker trailer literally has Wilson's fishing get ruined by Skittersquids assaulting him, and then shows the Gingerbread Pigs getting chased by a creature that intends to eat them while they're still alive and oinking. Both the HL&I and Winter's Feast parts of the trailer imo feel like they're meant to lure you into a false sense of security, by showing something cute and fun, and then following it up with a reminder that the Constant isn't made to accommodate cute and fun. I feel this is also apparent in the Winter's Feast event itself, the Gingerbread Pigs are the silly, cute, and cartoony interpretation of a gingerbread man, and that silliness completely falls apart once you follow one and either find them crawling legless out of their collapsed houses, or find a gingerbread-dog-abomination that eats them alive while dripping icing out of every orifice.

Not everything is some kind of conspiracy by Klei to take away our uncompromising wilderness survival game full of science and magic.You play as Wilson, an intrepid Gentleman Scientist who has been trapped by a demon and transported to a mysterious wilderness world. Wilson must learn to exploit his environment and its inhabitants if he ever hopes to escape and find his way back home.Enter a strange and unexplored world full of strange creatures, dangers, and surprises. Gather resources to craft items and structures that match your survival style. Play your way as you unravel the mysteries of this strange land.

Agree. One thing you must watch is a vid of DST Normal Menu Music on the highest speed and the lowest. I challenge you. The highest speed (2x) suggests a happy and cheerful world but put it on the lowest (0.5x) and you start hearing more creepy music and even the sounds of a FNAF's automaton. Would not recommend it as a sleep song.

Ooh, so kinda like the opposite of when you listen to Undertale music at different speeds (don't judge me.  Actually do, if you must, but know that I don't care) and when you take the "Nobody Came" music from the Genocide run and speed that way UP...

THAT'S when it creeps you out because suddenly you realise OH MY GOD IT WAS ACTUALLY THE (BEEP) SONG ALL ALONG!

Like that?  Anyway I kinda want to actually look up some DS/T music now and try the changing-speed thing.  

Also, bear in mind that that one old promotional image of Wilson being chased by all the monsters while holding a torch _was_ the cover art for TVTropes' "Everything Trying to Kill You" page.  Just sayin'.  (And while they changed over to a different picture a long time back--multiple times, in fact--"Everything Trying to Kill You" _is_ still listed as a trope on the Don't Starve page...)

...Notorious

I do believe that it's just the art style changing  overtime. they're constantly improving, and maybe they've been wanting to experiment with more colours, and backgrounds, and etc.  (example of style change and development  in these images of wes side by side right here)
42e6f9d55704097c7075144e553adc22b3c6f3c1.png
But that is an interesting way to look at it, and it would make sense!
(i quite like seeing klei work with with these brighter colours in the newer shorts and artwork.   they've been doing a fantastic job.)

Nawh, The Constant's a lovely place to take a vacation to.
Just poking fun don't shoot me.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.77f728396742cca1eaf0fb81f519d410.pngimage.thumb.png.2b5886ff8bab13422b1896a44fa20305.pngimage.thumb.png.d960288a6f3b6a0160df4007054b8cc5.pngimage.thumb.png.08056a2566e415c224bfb9684649cecc.pngimage.thumb.png.6dc05199e6ed11067b49361186c9d41c.png

Though funny enough, this little collage of "vacation spots" you can visit during your trip to the Constant does show off how much the style has changed over the years.
My 2 cents on the matter is that I highly prefer the original, dark desolate feeling the Constant originally had, as that's what I usually prefer, but the new style and look at things is also very welcomed, and quite lovely.
I am open to the theory that it reflects how the survivors view their situation though, I think that's a brilliant way to put it.

14 minutes ago, -Variant said:

Nawh, The Constant's a lovely place to take a vacation to.
Just poking fun don't shoot me.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.77f728396742cca1eaf0fb81f519d410.pngimage.thumb.png.2b5886ff8bab13422b1896a44fa20305.pngimage.thumb.png.d960288a6f3b6a0160df4007054b8cc5.pngimage.thumb.png.08056a2566e415c224bfb9684649cecc.pngimage.thumb.png.6dc05199e6ed11067b49361186c9d41c.png

Though funny enough, this little collage of "vacation spots" you can visit during your trip to the Constant does show off how much the style has changed over the years.
My 2 cents on the matter is that I highly prefer the original, dark desolate feeling the Constant originally had, as that's what I usually prefer, but the new style and look at things is also very welcomed, and quite lovely.
I am open to the theory that it reflects how the survivors view their situation though, I think that's a brilliant way to put it.

Uhhh guys- I hate to be THAT guy that explains this but, When the constant was dark sad and grim looking it was under the control of Maxwell, and when it was given brighter prettier colors and became a more peaceful looking place the throne is held by a female Charlie.

Its as simple as little Boys thinking bugs are cool and fun to play with, while little girls think bugs are Quite Icky and they prefer cute Butterflies.

They LITERALLY show this as Charlie walks around transforming things from dark and creepy to girly and pretty before ultimately settling on a Medium between the two.

So it’s pretty obvious that the constant changes based on who holds the Throne- Which has me Horrified that Klei is going to let the Return of Them take it back from Charlie and Whoever or Whatever “Them” is will change the constant yet again.

Oh, They never went away.

They never went away.

Seriously, why do you think Charlie DID have to compromise on _black_ roses with thorny vines?  (Although personally _I_ think that looks awesome and beautiful in its own right, but that's my recessive goth traits talking.)  It's because Their influence is absolutely still there.  She isn't EVERY shadow creature...

As for the "wonderful place to take a vacation!"  I just flashed on the bit in Sugawolf's old DS playthrough where he showed a montage of all kinds of violence and monsters and mayhem, with "Wish You Were Here!" in big sappy cursive lettering, and that one cheerful ding-y song playing.  (I don't know what it's called but it's gotta be copyright-free since LOTS of YouTubers use it.)  "I oughta take a vacation more often!"

Spoiler

(around 4:25 for the part I'm talking about, but that general style of humour he does all the time.  Also has an ONI playlist!) 

Anyway partly it's art-style changes, but the overall look of the main game still isn't that saturated compared to a lot of other stuff, even at full sanity.  And if you want it gloomer and greyer?  Well, just go nuts!  Lots of players say that's the way you SHOULD be all the time, anyway.  : P

...Notorious

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

So it’s pretty obvious that the constant changes based on who holds the Throne- Which has me Horrified that Klei is going to let the Return of Them take it back from Charlie and Whoever or Whatever “Them” is will change the constant yet again

I think "They" were always in control.

The person on the throne is simply a puppet.

You can think of the chess pieces on a board and the shadow throne is the king piece, while "They" are the rules and board itself.

Simply my little idea though

10 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Snip

What? It was a little funny post.
Otherwise what you said about Charlie didn't uh, add up, plus the Constant is it's own realm the Throne just lets you bend and change/add things, as we see. The entirety of the Constant doesn't just change based on who's on it, it gives them the power to change.

10 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Its as simple as little Boys thinking bugs are cool and fun to play with, while little girls think bugs are Quite Icky and they prefer cute Butterflies.

I don't see how this adds in, and is just an old stereotype.

11 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Uhhh guys- I hate to be THAT guy that explains this but, When the constant was dark sad and grim looking it was under the control of Maxwell, and when it was given brighter prettier colors and became a more peaceful looking place the throne is held by a female Charlie.

They LITERALLY show this as Charlie walks around transforming things from dark and creepy to girly and pretty before ultimately settling on a Medium between the two.

So it’s pretty obvious that the constant changes based on who holds the Throne- Which has me Horrified that Klei is going to let the Return of Them take it back from Charlie and Whoever or Whatever “Them” is will change the constant yet again.

Guess deadly fat bees, fire-breathing dragonflies guarding a desert and a black door with thorns and roses are a girl's thing.

2 hours ago, Booklover said:

Guess deadly fat bees, fire-breathing dragonflies guarding a desert and a black door with thorns and roses are a girl's thing.

The door with thrones and roses IS CHARLIES.. Even Maxwells quote about it explains this much, not to mention she destroys the portal Maxwell and Wilson built to Replace it with the Florid Postern.

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Charlie

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

The door with thrones and roses IS CHARLIES.. Even Maxwells quote about it explains this much, not to mention she destroys the portal Maxwell and Wilson built to Replace it with the Florid Postern.

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Charlie

I never said that it wasn't hers... just saying that if we reverse whatever she made and use it just like you to stereotype girls then monstrous animals will be a girl's thing while boy's prefer dogs as big as a human and giants terrorizing you every few weeks.

4 hours ago, Booklover said:

I never said that it wasn't hers... just saying that if we reverse whatever she made and use it just like you to stereotype girls then monstrous animals will be a girl's thing while boy's prefer dogs as big as a human and giants terrorizing you every few weeks.

Meh.. I guess? Even though it’s 2020 and the world is now incredibly sensitive to literally EVERYTHING-  

But.. Your also forgetting that Charlie was very much in love with Maxwell- which means she probably likes a lot of the things he created when he took over the Throne.

Charlie isn’t 100% fully evil you know? We see her struggling with herself to decide rather she wants to hurt or to help Wilson- Which leads me to believe that CHARLIE Unlike Maxwell- Had atleast SOME control over the Shadows that are wanting her to do bad things, For example: She allows Winona to live through one free hit in Darkness, Showing that she’s still struggling NOT to kill her Sister.

Theres Also a WintersFeast Item that when Maxwell examines his Quote for it is- “She Remembered this was my Favorite..” Implying that CHARLIE add this item into the Constant just for him.

If Charlie is supposed to be the biggest lore point in DST- it seems that Klei is going out of their way to show us Charlie (to some Degree) can take Control over the Shadows that are trying to Manipulate Her..

I defiantly do not see Charlie as the main Bad Guy.. I sense that “Them” are going to want their Throne back- And Charlie May very well be the only thing keeping “Them” from fully taking over.

But as dark and grim as the lore behind DS is I would not be shocked at all if Charlie had to sacrifice her own life and permanently die so that Everyone else can escape. :( 

It would be a sad ending for sure- But I simply can’t see Charlie as being this pure evil lady who wants us dead.

26 minutes ago, Mr. Despair said:

They just changed animators, After the Winona cinematic there was a clear change in artstyle and tone.

You went from Wilson getting killed by plants as a joke in the Hamlet reveal trailer to the morning-cartoon trailers from Wortox/Wurt/Woodie.

This is only true if you leave out every trailer that isn't a character reveal. The other Hamlet trailers all have Wilson getting tormented and sometimes dying onscreen, the Turn of Tides trailer has a very similar tone to older trailers and ends with Wilson and Winona being knocked unconscious right as horror hounds and moonrock pengulls appear, the Hook Line & Inker trailer has Wilson get attacked by skittersquids and then shows the Gingerbread Pigs being chased by a Gingerbread Varg that literally intends to eat them alive, etc.

There's not this clear divide of pre and post-Hamlet reveal where suddenly all the dark humor disappears, there's just sometimes a lighter tone when it matches the content being shown off (like a playful Imp or a canadian shapeshifter). Wurt's trailer is a weird example here too, considering that it has two kids and an old lady die as part of a joke. No really they get absolutely shredded alive by a tentacle. There's also copious amounts of spider death, which Wurt is completely unphased by because the joke there is that the swamp is always full of things dying so Wurt isn't even bothered by it.

Archived