why don't we ban griefers

The funny thing is my reason to come here in the first place - on Klei forums - was to inquire about the griefer problem after I've witnessed 2 teams of them sick puppies burning everything on a server and resetting repeatedly another server when the 20-days mark wasn't yet in place. In the meanwhile I've realized Klei official pubs are a no-man's-land full with all sorts of madness and that Klei doesn't have the time, people or will to policize their own servers. And, even more disturbing, over time I've also witnessed one particular quite-famous modder active on these very own forums going on a community pub nevertheless with his friends to only burn everything on sight - to be ironically kicked by an admin and banned... later un-banned because... "famous modder". So yeah, after that... no more expectations at my end :abnormal:

My advice: play only with friends and/or on some small-but-heavily-moderated community server. Cheers!

Personal opinion time: If a greifer griefs creatively on a public server, I'm not mad. Chances are the worlds will last until no longer than early Spring anyways, and every now and then people can ruin the world in creative ways.

Alternatively, it gives me more experience to survive after getting my base ruined. Which in turn helps me become better at the game.

Not saying that people should grief. Just that I personally make light of it when on a public server.

1 hour ago, AlternateMew said:

Personal opinion time: If a greifer griefs creatively on a public server, I'm not mad. Chances are the worlds will last until no longer than early Spring anyways, and every now and then people can ruin the world in creative ways.

Alternatively, it gives me more experience to survive after getting my base ruined. Which in turn helps me become better at the game.

Not saying that people should grief. Just that I personally make light of it when on a public server.

This make me think you're a "creative" griefer from time to time :D kidding(or am i?). Nah man, for me it's unnaceptable, i mean not that i'm mad, i m never really mad and things rarely bother me for real, BUT that doesn't mean i agree with that behavior in any way. If you find joy if others suffer, in any way, or try to, you're a total ****** regardless imo.

I play on publics alot and also keep  my wolrds public often, i know how to go around it somewhat, i mean on hosted worlds it's fairly easy, and those "creative" griefers you mention are pretty rare, most of them tend to be fairly stupid and "bad" at griefing.

That said on publics it can be more of a pain, but usually when i play them there s also a few of my friends in and we usually easily kick+rb. Ofc that's not always the case and sometimes a griefer is actually succesfull, but when it has happened starting again is not that big of an issue if there s a few decent players tbh.

3 hours ago, AlternateMew said:

At first I was always mad that players would join my game and burn or break everything, but then I discovered the rollback feature, which reverts everything they did back to before they even joined the game.

However... after surviving past day 70 and living through each of the 4 seasons, Autumn, Winter, Spring & Summer. I can safely say that this ENTIRE GAME is designed to grief you.

In Winter most the common food sources die and they send a Deerclops to wreck your base.

In the Summer your base catches fire with or without Willows help, your Base will collapse into the ground due to the ground being burned into collapsed rubble.

and if that’s not enough let us not forget the random Meteor Showers which seem to always target the one item you need the most at the moment.

i have played many survival games before, but none of them has ever had the odds stacked against you so unfairly as this one.

I’m assuming griefers are just preparation for all that mayhem LOL.

The only time griefing really bothers me is when I'm the one blamed, especially if I just so happen to be... I dunno... halfway across the world from base and just so happened to be playing Willow.

If there is a vote to rollback because of a grief and the majority voted yes, I'll vote too. Otherwise, I see it as a survival challenge to rebuild.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

However... after surviving past day 70 and living through each of the 4 seasons, Autumn, Winter, Spring & Summer. I can safely say that this ENTIRE GAME is designed to grief you.

It's kind of a consequence of designing a game that was not originally intended to be multiplayer in the first place. That and the originally uncompromising nature of the game.

Made up a whole system for how to set up punishment for repeat grief without it outright being a community ban list here.

Suggestion forum, which people don't read, buuut...
If people want changes, then there needs to be evidence that they want it before Klei will consider actually making changes.
If you see solutions that you like, bump the topics, upvote, ect.
If you don't, make your own suggestions.

The changes in the past to the vote system only took place because of a lot of backlash posts discussing the heavy abuse of the old system.

This has been asked numerous times. The real reason is Klei is better off spending their money on developing great games rather than building a team to monitor griefers. Quite frankly, banning griefers isn't Klei's job, that's the communities job. There are many DST groups (you can find them on the Steam DST group page) that host many servers that actively ban griefers (the main groups I'm apart of has a ban list of thousands of users).

Second, Klei banning griefers only hurts the community, not helps it. Here's why. If Klei started to ban griefers they would have to create some sort of standard. What if, and a real concern, their standard sucked? Or what happens if they don't apply it equally or consistently? Both of these problems will arise. There will be some people that disagree with their standard, and there will 100% be cases in which griefers are missed or a griefer is reported, but Klei doesn't have enough evidence to ban them. Then you're still mad because Klei isn't banning griefers.

The real solution to this problem is fairly simple. Stop playing on Klei's offical servers and join a DST group that actively bans griefers.

Lastly, buying advantages is a horrible idea.

first of all: p2w is never going to happen, unless klei wants to burn their positive reputation into the ground.

second: why are you getting mad about what happens to a public server? like others have said, it's no-man's-land. do whatever you feel like. if you want to have something to keep, make a private server.

1 hour ago, Axelocke said:

The only time griefing really bothers me is when I'm the one blamed, especially if I just so happen to be... I dunno... halfway across the world from base and just so happened to be playing Willow.

Ah yes, the infamous "Base burning? WILLOW!" Stereotype. Awful really, these people.

There's once I played as a Willow and another person joined as a Willow. Other Willow burned base. They voted to kick me. *clap clap*. I see you have eyes. Not to mention I said it wasn't me as the Willow was next to their base and I'm trying to have fun exploring... most people said it was the other Willow but then it was too late and I got kicked. Seriously people, use fricking names. One's Booklover, the other's ########. U S E T H E N A M E S.

I hope they feel sorry. Like so sorry they don't want to play. Revenge.

Anyways, I used to be a griefer! Yayy. So, if there's one thing only griefers understand, or pyromaniacs for the matter (I never liked using hammers to grief), is the satisfaction. Of burning a forest and just standing there. I won't burn down your base oho no. That wouldn't be fun. I would play with you nicely until you show me a reason to burn. Like say you were really rude to me. Yeah bye bye.

I quitted griefing at March 2019. Didn't feel like it anymore. I started at December 2018. The feeling was fun but I found that I preferred actually helping people XD . Time to use that brain eh? :D

Well you know, you're playing on a public server on a game where players can craft a torch in lesser than a minute after joining...

Even if a ban system on Klei's servers is set up, it will not protect you from encountering trashes. And it's the same on any sandboxes game, there will be peoples that have the objective to ruin the fun of others and get banned on the most platforms possible, even if it's just one time, it can end up on you're session like anybody else. Yes it's pitiful but you can't do anything for them.

And there's a solution for all : Host your own public servers, with someone (you) that have the rights to ban players and rollback, so you can still meet new peoples. Give your server a nice game with the Social / Cooperative tag and I guaranties you players will join. Or play with your friends just like I did for a life time, never had to see any junks around.

9 hours ago, BeeClops said:

This make me think you're a "creative" griefer from time to time :D kidding(or am i?).

It sounds that way, but I'm not lol. The one single person I play with IRL isn't very good at the game, so I'm pretty used to needing to pull more than my weight. Possibly why I find intentional creative griefs amusing, since it mixes things up for me in a world I'm not trying to almost single-handedly keep alive at any cost.

One of my most memorable randoms was the time someone found my cave base mid-winter and burned it all down. I stared, took what I could salvage and just roughed it as long as I could. Which happened to be longer than the griefer, since they died and left long before me. I didn't survive the Winter, but I was darn proud that they didn't see me die!

On my own style, I'm the quiet one who won't touch anything in a shared base but I'll drop off all my unneeded supplies.

And sometimes base alone as a neutral party just to watch the chat and see people I didn't feel were mature enough to base with fail to survive. Ever base in a cave and watch the death messages an freakouts when an unprepared crew faces Deerclops, starvation, shadows, and freezing simultaneously?

There's no such thing as "inadvertently griefing". Griefing requires intent. Making a costly mistake by genuine accident isn't griefing, even if it's a really stupid mistake. As mentioned, Don't Starve sets players up to fail if they don't make proper preparations; it doesn't make someone a griefer if they don't know how to deal with wildfires, fire hounds, or tantrum-throwing giants (deerclops, antlion, occasionally bearger) in a way that keeps the base intact. Sometimes people buy DST (or have it gifted to them) and hop onto a public server without having played on private server or singleplayer DS to learn the ropes first.

Honestly I encounter way more bases getting destroyed because there was either a fire hound attack or a summer wildfire and nobody thought to build an ice flingomatic or was able to get the materials for one in time, than because someone lit the whole place on fire deliberately. I do play at off-peak hours when I'm on public servers, but I don't know if that really makes a huge difference.

Also, like I said last time there was a thread about griefing: Klei doesn't have the budget to hire a team of moderators to deal with griefers, and they would have to pay for good moderators in order for moderation decisions to be fair and thoughtful in a game where it's super easy to hinder other players by accident. Or have a miscommunication about whether you're supposed to be playing cooperatively or adversarially, given that "Competitive" and "Madness" are server styles you can select as the host. And I don't think Klei should have to rearrange their budget to prioritise that, and I certainly don't think they should compromise the good things about the current player experience in order to make more money.

9 hours ago, Starlogy said:

first of all: p2w is never going to happen, unless klei wants to burn their positive reputation into the ground.

To be honest I'd be up for monthly passes for Forge/Gorge/other "event of the month" but that's a whole different topic. If Klei wanted to monetize the game more, it could easily do it. 

Honestly I encounter way more bases getting destroyed because there was either a fire hound attack or a summer wildfire and nobody thought to build an ice flingomatic or was able to get the materials for one in time

I find this VERY common with Oasis bases.  I see people with the mindset they don't need one because no wildfires, and don't take events like hounds and griefers into account and it burns anyway.

To be honest I'd be up for monthly passes for Forge/Gorge/other "event of the month" but that's a whole different topic. If Klei wanted to monetize the game more, it could easily do it

I am on the fence on that one.  While I enjoyed the events this could have the potential to divide the player base.  I have a firm belief that Klei does their best to monetize in a way that doesn't hinder fans being able to play with each other.  The new DLC characters are an example.  While I may not be able to play Wurt(yet) I can still play on a server with others that have her and can play with them.  I can enjoy her team perks while I do not own her.  The skins are another facet to that.  No game play is impacted and I can still utilize a cool helm or weapon skin a friend has.  Klei has really done a wonderful job at monetizing in a way that caters to all fans with weaving as an option.

As for banning, it can be a slippery slope like some have said.  To little and the pitch forks and torches are gotten, to heavy handed and people will get the lanterns, and Dark swords.  While on a public server I feel that I "acknowledge" that I am joining the wild west of worlds( I say I as I dont want to put words in others mouths).  Nothing is permanent and we as a player base, as unfortunate as it may be, have to understand the potential dangers on any public open server Klei or otherwise.

Archived