What kind of buffs, nerfs or tweaks would you like to see in dst

1 hour ago, Booklover said:

Maybe let Maxwell start with the knowledge of making Dark Sword, Night Armour and the ability to make nightmare fuel from evil flowers. I liked the idea of him being hunted by shadow creatures. Maybe shadow creatures hunt him even though he isn't insane and target him over other characters? He could be a makeshift Bernie. I want him to have more interactions with Charlie too.

he's fine the way he is, this all sounds super lame to replace his current perks with

12 hours ago, themate28 said:

I can agree with that, but I feel like it would be hard to buff farms in a balanced manner.

Maybe remove carrots and spread out that 31.6% among the rest of the crops.

Other than that, I just wish corn & eggplant had more useful crock-pot recipes; And a small part of me sort of wants normal farm plot to be dropped.

maybe have advanced farms "drop" 2 - 3 carrots when you plant carrots?

22 minutes ago, BellumOmnes said:

I have this novel idea that players should be able to wear a floral shirt, puffy vest, amulets or whatever with a backpack at the same time. Why do you even have to choose between the two? Just make body armor to take up the two slots dedicated to ''body'' and that's it.

You can dress your character better, weather through the elements easier and Klei can make money selling skins for those useless items.

99% of the time, I end up not using any of the shirts, vests, coats or amulets (except nightmare) cause I aim to get a sack asap (and I do). The only item of this category worth something is the hibernation vest and I say this because, I mostly play Wolfgang and the diminished hunger drain is pretty great. This can also help new players with survival in general.

To anyone who's gonna come at me with ''bUt BaLaNcE, DsT iS sUrvIvAl gAeM'', I say Boo hoo.

But the balence is important. Blatantly ignoring the idea of balence for the sake of a power fantesy isn't fun nor interesting. There is a certain audience for being blatently op but the problem is that having too much power for too long can make it less fun. This maybe the best case sinario but see how over whelmingly powerful this is:

With a Magilumi essence, walking cane, bone armor, tam o shanter, and krampus sack you get:

-+18 inventory slots

-100% damage reduction

-+45% speed boost

-+8.67 sanity per min.

-constant light

The only downside with this set up is that you do 17 damage per attack but that can easily be remedied by using one of your new 18 inventory slots to carry around a dark sword. The problem isn't that it wouldn't make sense not to have all of these on, it that it's to powerful to have all of them on. The reason for only having one body slot item being available is for balence. On another topic, while it is true that carrying some sort of backpack with you is nice, the games balence with how it deals with the chest items are just fine. Its not the games fault if you praise the backpack over all other chest slot items amd thus won't experiment with the others.

First I think Webber should get a bit of a nerf because his power is essentially free food, forever and is extremely easy to sustain. But I also want to see a tweak/rework in what he can do instead of just "spider are now friend" similar to how Wurt can make craftmerms houses and the merm king stuff.

4 minutes ago, JustCrimson said:

First I think Webber should get a bit of a nerf because his power is essentially free food, forever and is extremely easy to sustain. But I also want to see a tweak/rework in what he can do instead of just "spider are now friend" similar to how Wurt can make craftmerms houses and the merm king stuff.

Bunnymen farms are way superior at making food tho. Webber's main ability is easier survival which any character can do,he needs a good rework imo,you know,some fun advantages other than eating his disgusting babies.

The thread idea could be more specific, because "nerf and buff" in general way, leads to a kind of messy thread.

At the end, if you play with all the ideas, you're in a world where you need 3 meats for meatballs, but if you eat more than 2 meatballs a day, you'll die. Maxwell has like 20 minions, with marble armors, no speed penalty. Building a boat would be dangerous if you have already one. Farming carrots or corn would ask for a blueprint, which is hide somewhere, where you'll die. I could fix a torch on my helmet, having 2 weapons, one per hand, with amulet, armor and bagpack at the same time.

Books are more expensive, but we can still having 160 poop in less than one day. So lightballs plant would be nerf. Papyrus ? Well I'm stacking some, close to a full chest. Sanity ? Im ready with 160 green champ. Because I prepare that phase (in real). And when I'll be ready I'll switch to Wicker to switch then to Warly. But nerf the book is not the problem imo. Make it disappear would be easier. 

I agree with someone above. Its not a competition. Survival doesnt mean hardcore for everything. It also means time and patience.

Do you want to nerf my habilities to stack 360 papyrus, 360 poops and mushrooms ? Do you think I'll get impacted by a higher price for books ?

Do we really need that nerf on books ? 

What can we do when we did everything ? Make it harder until it will become easy ?

A friend bought the game yesterday. It was SO funny to hear him screaming because he died 3 times because of the night while he was looking the craft tables. "Fuuuuuuck AAAaaaah I dont have a torch ! Oh crap I'm dead. Pffff". Day 1. I told him.

He wont be patient, I'm sure of it. And I'll give him all the advices I can. I dont know why but I'm really happy to see someone starting this game. He's innocent ! Ah ah ah ! 

I dont want to fight with people and theirs ideas, because I'm sure there will be some good things, so you can take me easy. But its already a game which doesnt give you any rest, or just for 1 or 2 minutes. And when I think about it, I think about more real contents than nerfing my poors 2 honey ham. I think more contents and mobs and bosses and biomes and islands could lead to a more difficult journey. A long hard path, if you want to explore it. 

But as a personnal wish, I want a first buff on SET PIECES. Structures, one or two people somewhere, like that crazy goat and his little friend, locked ways, buy or find the key, the tree guard rings and the spider ring. Theres always space for that. There's space for many set pieces. My world is so poor speaking of set pieces. Its a shame, but I can't have few games of 1700 days each. We should have them all, no biomes without 1 or 2 set pieces. 1 big, 1 small. It will give a different look, and not a bad one. And Klei already have them. I wish I could please them for an update "all_set_pieces".

57 minutes ago, Frashaw27 said:

But the balence is important. Blatantly ignoring the idea of balence for the sake of a power fantesy isn't fun nor interesting. There is a certain audience for being blatently op but the problem is that having too much power for too long can make it less fun. This maybe the best case sinario but see how over whelmingly powerful this is:

With a Magilumi essence, walking cane, bone armor, tam o shanter, and krampus sack you get:

-+18 inventory slots

-100% damage reduction

-+45% speed boost

-+8.67 sanity per min.

-constant light

The only downside with this set up is that you do 17 damage per attack but that can easily be remedied by using one of your new 18 inventory slots to carry around a dark sword. The problem isn't that it wouldn't make sense not to have all of these on, it that it's to powerful to have all of them on. The reason for only having one body slot item being available is for balence. On another topic, while it is true that carrying some sort of backpack with you is nice, the games balence with how it deals with the chest items are just fine. Its not the games fault if you praise the backpack over all other chest slot items amd thus won't experiment with the others.

It doesn't make sense to you, having the ability to wear a jacket and a backpack at the same? And it's like you didn't even bothered reading what I wrote.

>Just make body armor to take up the two slots dedicated to ''body'' and that's it.

Meaning, you can't stack body armor with a vest and a backpack. Body armor still takes up all your ''chest'' or ''body'' slots. I honestly don't understand how can you be critical of an opinion and you jumped to making calculations without reading more than one sentence.

Really a power fantasy? Combining a vest with a backpack, is too much in your book. I had a vest and a backpack on 5 minutes ago. Call me Dr. Manhattan.

5 minutes ago, BellumOmnes said:

Really a power fantasy? Combining a vest with a backpack, is too much in your book. I had a vest and a backpack on 5 minutes ago. Call me Dr. Manhattan

The problem is that the balence is suppose to come from picking and choosing what chest slot item to wear. Having them both on at the same time eleiminates the risk or reward of choosing one or the other, even if slight, and instead just gives you the reward outright withput the risk. I will admit that you were just going to argue the "Backpack and Amulet" argument, but even if you still if you still include the amulets in the chest slot, it still gets rid of the risk of not having any special effects from the body and the reward of having more inventory. The backpack is one of the strongest items in the game, and thus it shouldn't be a semi permenant upgrade like you want.

I found a funny one, nerf the possibility to give 160 light balls to a werepig. He could die, or worst, after like 52 balls.

- He could explode with a white light effect. Give you back some balls, not many, with half durability.

- Or he'll transform in a bigger werepig. Kind of mini boss. Will give you big theeth, for a new weapon.

Random surprise. Biggy werepig could be rare.

1 minute ago, Moonatik said:

I found a funny one, nerf the possibility to give 160 light balls to a werepig. He could die, or worst, after like 52 balls.

- He could explode with a white light effect. Give you back some balls, not many, with half durability.

- Or he'll transform in a bigger werepig. Kind of mini boss. Will give you big theeth, for a new weapon.

Random surprise. Biggy werepig could be rare.

no

11 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Maxwell needs to be reworked. Nothing about a former magician turned Shadow King turned disturbed survivor screams "resource gatherer." He needs his entire codex umbra to be reworked. No more shadow resource gatherers. Wickerbottom and Wortox feel more magical than the amazing Maxwell. Woodie is still not viable because Maxwell outclasses him. 

Why are you booing me? I'm right!

I know the correct 100% impossible to ever be wrong answer, some of you won’t like the answer.. but I don’t care.

They need to NERF everyone’s Familiarity with this game.

What I mean by that is you all pretty much know where everything is, where it spawns, what to do.. and where to go to get it. A more completely Randomized world Similar to a game called SPELUNKY, or even just breaking all of the biomes apart into their own Separate Islands requiring Boat Travel/Cave Travel or Worm Holes to get to.. would be a welcomed change.

They also need To BUFF almost all of the games Biomes with new Mobs, Where are the Poisonous Snakes from Shipwrecked that if they bite you.. you would become Poisoned and your health would slowly tick out over time unless you crafted an Anti-Venom Cure? 

And they need to TWEAK some of the games current Mechanics, again I’ll point towards single player Don’t Starve for the Answers- Let’s go back to Worm Holes, What happened to the Idea of SICK Worm Holes (one way travel Wormholes that closed up after use) I imagine in DST they would work the same way as a Resurrection Stone- Each Player could use it once.

What about the Shadow Obelisks that required the Raising or Lowering of Ones Sanity to pass?? Why are those in DST at all?? But only as cosmetic pillars around Pig-King, In Single Player DS these things were often used to block ones progress around the map.

15 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

What about the Shadow Obelisks that required the Raising or Lowering of Ones Sanity to pass?? Why are those in DST at all??

*Cough Cough "Atrium" Cough Cough

15 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

What happened to the Idea of SICK Worm Holes (one way travel Wormholes that closed up after use) I imagine in DST they would work the same way as a Resurrection Stone- Each Player could use it once

The sick wormhole sounds like a good idea in concept but the problem is that its entirely useless. It provides no benefit besides that one time and that one tume might be like a few tiles away and such is actually useless compared to the potentially world saving touch stone.

16 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

They also need To BUFF almost all of the games Biomes with new Mobs, Where are the Poisonous Snakes from Shipwrecked that if they bite you.. you would become Poisoned and your health would slowly tick out over time unless you crafted an Anti-Venom Cure

While I would like new mobs on the main platau, giving each biome its own unique mobs seems a bit too much and would feel arbitrary after you encounter the first few. I mean what idea do you have to spice up the Biome that consists of nothing but rocks and the occational tallbird. What about the forest, or the the other lumpy forest, or the other desidious forest, or the mushroom forest, you see my point? Some biomes don't need unique mobs because they already have some that are native like pigs in the desisous forest or merms from the swamp. We don't many more biome exclusive mobs or else it will feel is klei is just trying to spice up the game by throwing darts at a board and seeing what sparks intrest. Also poison would be fine but would have to be very obvious which mobs are poisonus like in real life where poisonus animals are brightly colored.

24 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

What I mean by that is you all pretty much know where everything is, where it spawns, what to do.. and where to go to get it. A more completely Randomized world Similar to a game called SPELUNKY, or even just breaking all of the biomes apart into their own Separate Islands requiring Boat Travel/Cave Travel or Worm Holes to get to.. would be a welcomed change

So you want a rouge lite, not a survival game. DST really can't benefit from just slapping a bunch of features together with true randomization as gaining kowlage and building strategy is part of the games experince ad it is meant to be more then a hour long. A game like the Binding of Isaac may have a completely randomized maps with new variations every time, but thats because the runs are suppose to last a hour or two at most. DST is suppose to be played in large 2-5 hour long sessions so that you can make meaningful progress and you do this multiple times on the same run. Completely removing all sense of direction and meaning in biomes and set peices would make the game infuriating to play as the game would be at a point where the games refuses to let you learn things like spawn patterns and biome contents as it just sort of slap dashes things together. This knowlage allows you to grow and pushes that trial and error playstyle DST is going for. Rouge lites can have complete randomization as the randomization is the entire point of the game, while DST realies on you gradually learning the world of the game and thus making it random every time for s***s and giggles amd making it less fun to play.

34 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

They need to NERF everyone’s Familiarity with this game

The main problem with your arguement is that the familiarity is the entire point and the progression of the game. The game overall relies on you, the player, to learn from your mistakes and improve upon them in the next run and so just making the game as rng as a rouge lite isn't going to go over well with players. It makes the game as alot more tedios for the sake of being tedious. Also, just adding a bunch of stuff isn't going to freshen up the game like you think it would. It would be new the first couple of times, and then become familiarized like the rest of them.

14 hours ago, Nolgore said:

I think a more interesting mechanic would be to have a dangerous enemy be summoned to areas with an accumulation of boats, sorta like how Deerclops will spawn on players that are near structures. This would still discourage the behavior without adding a hard limit to the amount of boats on the map. 

Yes, this. My thought's been some sort of octopus arms, but with a similar premise to Lureplants. Can only spawn when a boat has been stationary for a while, and specifically only spawns when a player jumps on said boat; that way it at least gives the player a chance to notice and stop it.

7 hours ago, BellumOmnes said:

I have this novel idea that players should be able to wear a floral shirt, puffy vest, amulets or whatever with a backpack at the same time.

I mean, maybe it's my nomadism talking and backpacks just being the best use of space in about every scenario I find myself in as that role, but...
Yea, outside of early-game grass suit boon drops, I haven't ran around with a chest slot item that isn't some sort of storage in a year or more. Even Amulets.
Tried everything at some point or another. None of it seems to rival the value of more slots for a more productive gathering run, having emergency supplies during raids and the like to save newer players from themselves, the ability to make survival stations around the world as I travel...ect.
Seasons can be countered easily enough in other ways, and armor can be swapped to at a moment's notice.

For me at least, being able to use other equipment alongside the upgrade I always use anyway would add some nice variety options.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

What I mean by that is you all pretty much know where everything is, where it spawns, what to do.. and where to go to get it. A more completely Randomized world Similar to a game called SPELUNKY, or even just breaking all of the biomes apart into their own Separate Islands requiring Boat Travel/Cave Travel or Worm Holes to get to.. would be a welcomed change.

A worldgen update has also been one of my top hopes for a good while now, but...a bit in the opposite direction.

More of a cohesive feeling of steady progression. Sort of a 'safe' starting area, like it is now...but the farther you go, the more the world and its occupants try to stop you.
To clarify: I'm not asking for an increase in difficulty here. I'm asking for the challenges that we already have to be reorganized so that players have a chance to grow and improve with steadily increasing challenges, and identify when things are becoming more challenging with world cues...rather than the current jump from 0 to 100 between challenges, and newer players just giving up on improving because the gap seems too large.

You can definitely accomplish a feeling of progression in a 'randomly' generated world.

Honestly, the game wouldn’t really benefit from nerfing in my opinion. The only thing that is ridiculously overturned is Wickerbottom. She could definitely benefit from a slight change such as instead of getting her sanity drained by the books, she should have to pay the sanity for the read. That way she just can’t keep infinitely going without resources to do so. Other than that, I think good buff ideas are better than nerf ideas atm.

When one becomes familiar with a games Mobs and their A.I. patterns even randomly generated game content becomes less of a “Tedious challenge” and more of a Trail & Error learn from past experiences type thing.

Another idea I had was a Creature Tier progression System, using only the Spider Den as the Example, What if Spider Dens went through 4 Tiers of evolution the first one is obviously no real threat, but a Tier 4... always spawns into a Spider Queen. Players would then have to be sure to always Destroy or Downgrade a Spiders Den by killing out the Spiders to lower the Den Tier back down.

This allows for both Casual content and Hardcore expert content to Co-Exist within the same game world.

(Similar to how in State of Decay you need to go around the map clearing out Zombie Infestations otherwise the threat grows worse overtime with the more dangerous zombie types spawning more frequently)

I have even managed to stumble upon this:

The Elder Mandrake- A Mob I’m assuming that is only in the single player Hamlet DLC (which isn’t even available on Consoles At The time of this post)

But This thing... suddenly makes me regret ever cooking and eating any mandrakes. -shivers-

E5B149EA-50AC-49E0-9E14-7DEEF13769EA.png

Making the magic and ancient tabs viable.

Honestly, you could just slap on the ability to refuel most of these items and they'd be much, much better.

And then there's the night light. I'd love for that to become a late-game replacement to the firepit entirely. Fuel one light and all lights in an area will receive the same amount of fuel. Also 1 nm fuel is half a day's worth of light, at least.

I'd like farms to be remade into gorge forms, Wormwood can be given something extra to compensate

I'd like thermal measure to be changed into an item that goes in player's inventory and tells them their temperature.

I'd like the Rainometer to give a 5 day forecast.

I'd like the cat cap to be buffed to match winter hat.

5 hours ago, Kelloggs Dogfry said:

Honestly, the game wouldn’t really benefit from nerfing in my opinion. The only thing that is ridiculously overturned is Wickerbottom. She could definitely benefit from a slight change such as instead of getting her sanity drained by the books, she should have to pay the sanity for the read. That way she just can’t keep infinitely going without resources to do so. Other than that, I think good buff ideas are better than nerf ideas atm.

This is a smart man/woman.

It's always the better decision to buff rather than nerf stuff. Wickerbottom's the only nerf I really see as needed, everything else should be as strong as she is.

5 hours ago, Kelloggs Dogfry said:

Can you explain this please? Isn't losing sanity by reading the system she has currently?

15 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Can you explain this please? Isn't losing sanity by reading the system she has currently?

So, the way Wicker currently works is that she loses sanity for reading her book, but she can continue to read her book even after 0 sanity. This creates a situation where she can just craft a bunch of books and sit there reading as many times as she wants. The idea would be that if she had a cost, she would not be able to keep reading after she has exhausted her sanity. Ex: she read her book three times, and is down to 8 sanity when it costs 25 (or whatever it is so) she cannot read again until she at least has 25 sanity to pay. 

Archived