[Game Update] - 365655

• Developer
  • Reverted update 364722 changes to plant air pressure sensing as they caused issues with waterweed growth and plant "blocked" status.

Plants and critters that are sensitive to atmosphere pressure check a larger footprint of cells for “safe” air which should make their state more stable.

View full update

• Like 1
  • Thanks 12

I would question why that change was necessary in first place. Surely it wouldn't increase performance and I didn't see anyone complain that their plants or pufts are 'unstable'. Surely there are other, more pressing issues you guys could be working on. Surely.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Grimgaw said:

I would question why that change was necessary in first place. Surely it wouldn't increase performance and I didn't see anyone complain that their plants or pufts are 'unstable'. Surely there are other, more pressing issues you guys could be working on. Surely.

While nobody is talking about it as an issue, when small packets of gas float onto a tile like CO2 or natural gas (etc), they stop the plant growing. Even if there's a majority of good air pressure right next to it. I can see room for this feature if maybe it checks one tile above as well and build in an exception for waterweed because it only needs to check one tile.

Edited by Xuhybrid
  • Like 20

I hope the resource list will be changed again [maybe to offer a customizable list] or the change will be reverted.

That´s in my eyes one of the most annoying UI changes ...

[I dislike the new automation sensor coloring aswell, but that´s cause I would say it doesn´t fit the overall art style.]

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Developer
16 minutes ago, Mya Katsura said:

I have crashes (when a dup enter a rocket or when i open schedule windows) since the update, so what can i do ?

We are currently testing a fix for this!

Thanks for the other feedback everyone, we are reading it :)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Xuhybrid said:

While nobody is talking about it as an issue, when small packets of gas float onto a tile like CO2 or natural gas (etc), they stop the plant growing. Even if there's a majority of good air pressure right next to it. I can see room for this feature if maybe it checks one tile above as well and build in an exception for waterweed because it only needs to check one tile.

There is nothing wrong with attempting such improvements, I just wish they did some testing before rolling out new mechanics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Majestix said:

I just wish they did some testing before rolling out new mechanics.

I'm sure the developers have thought of this, but they could revive a beta branch/channel. I'm guessing it may be too much effort or possibly technical limitations in the Steam platform that are preventing them from doing so. Then the community would happily test for them.

Edited by Vampenguin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, aymanoracle said:

there is a lag when moving the camera around after yesterday's hot fix

anybody notice the same?

I've noticed it since 361684 or 359645 and it happens after I reveal a good portion of the map, by dupes, sandbox or backspace in debug.

Edit: is like the camera is stuttering while moving around

I have a q8400 with 8gb ram on w7, what are your specs?

Edited by celest-kn
Adding info
  • Like 1

Good job. Although I was wondering if the extra work needed for a beta branch would be worth it to keep the game feeling stable. You've got the release crowd who have waited for the stability of release and steam forces an update if you want to try and play modded.

5 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

I hope the resource list will be changed again [maybe to offer a customizable list] or the change will be reverted.

That´s in my eyes one of the most annoying UI changes ...

I actually like this one, but I wish you could change the size and the status (open, closed) would be saved with the game.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, celest-kn said:

I've noticed it since 361684 or 359645 and it happens after I reveal a good portion of the map, by dupes, sandbox or backspace in debug.

Edit: is like the camera is stuttering while moving around

I have a q8400 with 8gb ram on w7, what are your specs?

7 hours ago, celest-kn said:

my specs are Intel Quad process at 3.8GHz (4 physical cores 16threads) 32GB ram , NVIDIA 1060 TI 6GB dedicated ram , M2 SSD drive 

so of course i have no issue in my hardware to run the game smoothly

10 hours ago, Vampenguin said:

I'm sure the developers have thought of this, but they could revive a beta branch/channel. I'm guessing it may be too much effort or possibly technical limitations in the Steam platform that are preventing them from doing so. Then the community would happily test for them.

It's called unit testing. You make a map that's full of different stuff that you expect to work correctly, then you load the map and run a custom script that ensures everything is working as expected. The Factorio devs are really good at doing this.

Edited by Ambaire

18 hours ago, Grimgaw said:

I guess the plants switching between withered and normal state too frequently might harm the performance.

2 hours ago, DreamApart said:

Surely it wouldn't increase performance and I didn't see anyone complain that their plants or pufts are 'unstable'.

Yep. Given that you can perfectly control the atmosphere in rooms, this was at worst an issue for some people that already had a solution.