The future of Gestalts?

So I've been pondering on three different things yesterday.

First of all, Gestalts seem to have semblance of light being the opposite of THEM. White eldritch entities.

latest?cb=20190523184418latest?cb=20190815181618

I was wondering if the Polar lights and Dwarf Stars will be expanded on in the future?

171?cb=20190821235452151?cb=20190821235543

I wouldn't call Gestalts the opposites of 'Them', but rather the obvious opposite of Shadow Creatures. They're only revealed when we have enough Enlightenment as opposed to low sanity. And while Shadow Creatures give you nightmare fuel, Gestalts put you to sleep, possibly into a dream state. Also based on the definition of Gestalts, it could be assumed that while they're all small and almost insignificant, they're working towards something much bigger.

One thing to confirm, because I'm to lazy to check. Can they put Wickerbottom to sleep? I know it was possible to force her to fall asleep with mandrake before but I'm curious if this is possibly new way to do it.

2 hours ago, Catteflyterpill said:

I wouldn't call Gestalts the opposites of 'Them', but rather the obvious opposite of Shadow Creatures. They're only revealed when we have enough Enlightenment as opposed to low sanity. And while Shadow Creatures give you nightmare fuel, Gestalts put you to sleep, possibly into a dream state. Also based on the definition of Gestalts, it could be assumed that while they're all small and almost insignificant, they're working towards something much bigger.

Was thinking about this recently. It's possible that "They" are the force behind both Light and Dark. Rather than opposites, as I was initially thinking due to both Light and Dark having the ability to replicate/produce Gems, it may all be part of a singular system.

...oh.
I've been trying to put this together for a long time now, but...
Birds suddenly make sense.
Including why Woodie hates them specifically.
The Werebeaver, like Werepiggyness, is a curse triggered by the light of the Moon.

Birds reach all realms.
Birds come from the sky.
Birds 'nest' on the moon.
This is why they've been presented with a prominence equaling that of the Moon since DST was first revealed, often alongside it.
Birds are servants.
Messengers.
Representatives of the great evil descending toward us.
THE MOON IS A BIRD
The birds are part of the "gestalt consciousness", or some form of extension of it.

I swear if a giant eldritch bird creature busts out of the center of the moon by the end of this--

1 hour ago, maradyne said:

Was thinking about this recently. It's possible that "They" are the force behind both Light and Dark. Rather than opposites, as I was initially thinking due to both Light and Dark having the ability to replicate/produce Gems, it may all be part of a singular system.

...oh.
I've been trying to put this together for a long time now, but...
Birds suddenly make sense.
Including why Woodie hates them specifically.
The Werebeaver, like Werepiggyness, is a curse triggered by the light of the Moon.

Birds reach all realms.
Birds come from the sky.
Birds 'nest' on the moon.
This is why they've been presented with a prominence equaling that of the Moon since DST was first revealed, often alongside it.
Birds are servants.
Messengers.
Representatives of the great evil descending toward us.
THE MOON IS A BIRD
The birds are part of the "gestalt consciousness", or some form of extension of it.

I swear if a giant eldritch bird creature busts out of the center of the moon by the end of this--

Woody-rework trailer:

Que the BFB

Spoiler

Big flying Bird?

Hatshing out of the moon and eating Woody.

3 hours ago, maradyne said:

-snip the birb-

Well theres the Malbatross creature propably coming next update AND the odd rng puzzle from like ages ago in singleplayer where birds dropped notes which revealed spots on a hidden map which then revealed somehow DST release

4 hours ago, I_Link_I said:

Woody-rework trailer:

Que the BFB

Reveal hidden contents

Big flying Bird?

Hatshing out of the moon and eating Woody.

3 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Well theres the Malbatross creature propably coming next update AND the odd rng puzzle from like ages ago in singleplayer where birds dropped notes which revealed spots on a hidden map which then revealed somehow DST release

Also the fact that Wagstaff says that have "alchemical properties", meaning they likley turn meat directly into eggs rather than just eating meat and making an egg

Adn the fact that Maxwell has "no idea how [Crows] got [to the constant]"

another thing worth noting is that Wagstaff and Wickerbottom have conflicting quotes on the crow. Wickerbottom identifies it as a *corvus brachyrhynchos*, which is the scientific name for the American crow. Wagstaff on the other hand calls it a remarkably crow-like creature. I'm not sure who's right, though I'm inclined to belive Wagstaff more simply because of how much he knows about the constant.

2 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

Wickerbottom identifies it as a *corvus brachyrhynchos*, which is the scientific name for the American crow. Wagstaff on the other hand calls it a remarkably crow-like creature.

Theu both can be right, its just that wickerbottom doesn't have super goggles like Wagstaff and thus didn't see the differances. On a different note, these bird could be just magical. I mean what other creature in game that drops feathers that have chemical abilies. They could be just birds which got transformed by the constants wackiness. What we do know birds have this aura of magic that can't really be explained, they even have magic potentioal as seen with pirate hat machine in Shipwreck. Wx even claims that the birds are smarter then most humans, which maybe his specieism showing but it is one of the few things he actually expresses a complment to. I don't the birds we have seen actually display adverage intelligence (polly the parrot is the exception but the again there is always a exception) and are just birds doing bird things. The only thing different is that they have magical stomachs and feathers. Crows maybe are up to something but otherwise, they are relativly harmless until you consider how high a eggy diet has in cholesterol.

2 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

Wagstaff and Wickerbottom have conflicting quotes on the crow. Wickerbottom identifies it as a *corvus brachyrhynchos*, which is the scientific name for the American crow. Wagstaff on the other hand calls it a remarkably crow-like creature. I'm not sure who's right, though I'm inclined to belive Wagstaff more simply because of how much he knows about the constant.

Well It clearly looks like a crow but it's a hella different creature than crow

For example; it can poop out endless amount of eggs and refine plants into seeds in mere seconds without dying of overfeeding

i would argue that gestalts are simpley the embodiment of the illusion of knowledge such as the shadows or nightmares are the embodiment of power as one can not be without the other ,

as we see this ying and yang stuff with the acients 

also i think that it may also correlate with not just knowledge but state of mind or sanity to say

53 minutes ago, Hell-met said:

Beyond lore, I'd like them to be an actual threat in the gameplay.

This just gave me an idea.

What if, hear me out, what if, when you're hit by a gestalt, your MINUMUM sanity is increased by 20 for a day.

It'd slowly go up and up to the point where you have no choice but to stay "enlightened" (The game would read your sanity meter as still having a minimum cap of 0, but your sanity meter cant physically go lower than a certain point.)

The minimum sanity penalties would go away after like a day.

12 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Yea, like I was saying, Birds have been featured in some way in most updates. Maxwell even expresses confusion over how they managed to get into the Gorge area.

I think Im gonna simplify it to you, and let the characters give you proper answers as to what Gestalts really are

WILSON = "They're promising me... knowledge.",
WILLOW = "It feels like they're speaking inside my head!",
WOLFGANG = "Wolfgang's brainmeats have never been so mighty!",
WENDY = "I can feel their fear and loneliness.",
WX78 = "THE MOON HAS FINALLY COME FOR ME",
WICKERBOTTOM = "They are the projections of something stronger.",
WOODIE = "We're all connected, eh?",
MAXWELL = "It communes with us through them.",
WIGFRID = "Goddess of the moon, shine thy smile upon me!",
WEBBER = "They want to talk, but they don't know how!",
WARLY = "Can you... get me home to dear Maman?",
WINONA = "I feel like... they've seen my sister.",
WORTOX = "Good evening, children!",
WORMWOOD = "Saying something?",

In case it's a bit harder to put together what they are, first of all let's reduce unnecessary info and clump repeats

WILSON = "They're promising me... knowledge.",
WARLY = "Can you... get me home to dear Maman?",

The Moon/Gestalts seem/s to promise the characters their deepest wishes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WILLOW = "It feels like they're speaking inside my head!",
WEBBER = "They want to talk, but they don't know how!",
MAXWELL = "It communes with us through them.",
WORMWOOD = "Saying something?",

Gestalts seem to be talking telepathically, as well as a way for The Moon, which is confirmed to be a creature in the description of Return of Them, to talk to us
-------------------------
WORTOX = "Good evening, children!",
WICKERBOTTOM = "They are the projections of something stronger.",

Gestalts seem to be children of sorts, perhaps just because they look quite small
The Moon seems to have an immense amount of power, confirmed by it creating Opal gemstones 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WENDY = "I can feel their fear and loneliness.",
WINONA = "I feel like... they've seen my sister.",

The Moon seems to know who Charlie is, and seems to fear her

The first clump indicates their nature being very similar to, or that of, Them.

With the second one, I begin to wonder if their 'attacks' are in some way an attempt at communication. This reminds me of some sort of fae sprites?

As for the last ones: I think Wortox refers to them in this way due to their newfound separation from the Moon. This is reflected by Wendy; they aren't so much offspring, as they are shards of a greater whole, which wasn't meant to be separated.

1 hour ago, I_Link_I said:

if its suposed to be the german word "Gestalt" then the right plural would be "Gestalten".

Modern language doesn't care about roots, when you steal a foreign word, you own it. Most english readers would not recognize Gestalten as the plural of Gestalt because "en" isn't recognized as a suffix in our language. If your intent is communicating information to other people, using German grammar in an English sentence will only hobble you.

9 hours ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

The Moon/Gestalts seem/s to promise the characters their deepest wishes

Character quotes that mention the smell of the Thurible contradict each other: Wilson smells chemicals, Willow smells burnt hair, Maxwell smells roses, Winona smells gasoline, and Wortox smells fire and brimstone. This means that the smell of the Thurible depends on the person for an unknown reason.

Your description made me think of the Shadow Thurible.

Just now, minespatch said:

Your description made me think of the Shadow Thurible.

Wouldn't Maxwells be his worst nightmare..? Same with Winona whose place burned down to the ground, I dont think Willow would like to burn her Hair either, Wortox doesn't want to be a soul sucking demon,
I think the Thurible smells of someone's worst nightmare

I got the feeling the moon eye is one of "Them". An other eye appeared in the Metheus puzzle. Makes 2 eye balls, enough to call them "Them". Some of Maxwell's quotes from the single player adventure mode fit in the description of 'knowledge' and 'teribble' things or hints of eyes ("They...They just watch"). So...maybe the moon eye brings knowledge and the dark eye brings destruction. That's why they have different formless "underlings" (Gestalten and Shadow Creatures). If we see Maxwell's position in the single player game it seems both eyes are rivals and play a game of "chess", trying to ech other. It's like god vs devil. So the Matheus incident was because the dark eye somehow hijack the Ancients thriugh NF. I dunno about Charlie, she seems to have her own plans (finding a way to home through portals?) while working for the dark eye as the grudge. I suppose the moon eye is not that nice or has some strange effects on the survivors. Because moonrock pengulls and zombie hounds are not nice.^^

11 hours ago, maradyne said:

As for the last ones: I think Wortox refers to them in this way due to their newfound separation from the Moon. This is reflected by Wendy; they aren't so much offspring, as they are shards of a greater whole, which wasn't meant to be separated.

Exactly,they are shards of the "moon soul"/consciousness.

Archived