What 'useless' items you want to see buffed?

around sixty percent of the equippable items in this game just aren't worth using , the developers seem to refuse to tweak them and it's also difficult to be heard over the OH OH BUT I'VE PLAYED THE GAME FOR THREE THOUSAND HOURS AND ONE TIME, ONE TIME I HAD NOTHING ELSE I COULD USE BUT THIS THING SO I USED IT THAT ONE TIME AND IT BARELY DID ANYTHING BUT I STILL USED IT THAT ONE TIME BECAUSE I HAD NOTHING BETTER TO USE SO THAT MAKES IT VIABLE A HUNDRED PERCENT OF THE TIME SO USEFUL NO BUFF REQUIRED

On 8/19/2019 at 6:40 AM, Plushical said:

I don't think I've ever even seen healing items be used by anyone in a public server before, so those could probably use some justice. Other than that, there is no such thing as an entirely useless item, other than opal gem. 

To be honest I usually carry a stack of healing salve on hand in solo play, as since I'm usually maining wendy abigail tends to commit spider genocide, giving me more then enough glands to upkeep salve.

Sure I still use pierogi/dragonpie for the big raid bosses like dfly or bee queen, but I like salve for smaller means as it never rots.

Hmm; let me think about the most underused items in each tab

Tools: Actually everything in this tab is quite useful. It's either for essential resource gathering, base organization or Beefalo Domestication. But if I had to chose something to tweak there I'd pick the Razor. It's a good item but since it doesn't have a durability it just clogs up space, more so than other tools which you can get rid of bu using. Wish it lost like 5% durability after each use.

Light: Almost all items here are useful too but the most clear underused item here is Pumpkin Lantern. I doubt even 10% of the player base remembers that they exist outside Halloween and this is largely due to people being reluctant to use them as the fireflies in it are lost if it spoils by itself. Otherwise it's a great semi-permanent light source to light up areas in base. Ways to tweak it include giving it larger light radius, making it  release the fireflies upon spoilage, even longer duration, visual signs when it degrades and ability to be repaired by tapes/sewing or a pumpkin.

Survival: There are a lot of items here ranging from essential to practically useless. I'll pick three to be tweaked, Insulated Pack would have been here too but Warly rework fixed it to a good degree IMO. Siesta Lean-to is the day version of tent but I hardly see it being used due to the playstyle of most people - forage in morning, return base at night. Perhaps a faster sanity restoration akin to HP regen or ability to use in dusk too can help. [Edit: found out this uses up 1/3 of hunger drain as tent so wow, that sounds good, I'll try it next time]. Water Balloons should be able to soak all mobs, this'd help with the introduction of Volt Goat Chaud-Froid and would make other electric weapons more useful too. Finally Luxury fans can be made more useful imo for having a more longstanding effect - like instead of just cooling down like Meloncicle/Ceviche, they should keep you from overheating for some time like Asparasaspachio.

Food: Items here are good but some could use tweaks. The most useless one is definitely Basic Farms, as Advance farms are so much better for so little more resources. They can be reworked by making basic plots require less sources like 4 grass instead of 8 (This could for example make Warly players resort to them for mass production early on) and it wouldn't be too OP since Wormwood can literally plant them all to the ground. Drying Rack is used widely but kinda uses a lot of resources for a long process, perhaps in the future they can make it dry more than 1 item or combine seaweed and meat together there for interesting dried dishes. Lastly Bucket of Poop is underused but it is a fairly good item, perhaps people don't use it because they can easily horde guano / poop / rot and use them instead. Perhaps it should be made more effective like rejuvenating farm plot fully with 1 use or losing 5% durability upon use instead of 10%.

Science: Beside holding some most essential buildings, this tab also holds some that can be considered only aesthetic like Thermal Measurer and Rainometer. Cartographer's desk is very useful but it only makes 1 item and becomes mostly obsolete when Global Positions mod is used. It could be tweaked to have more new items like treasure maps, sea charts or even items that'd give compass effect for a day etc. Finally would be cool if Potter's wheel could make moonrock statues too and some more statues had special effects.

Fighting: Many items here could use tweaks but one in particular is Fire Dart. It should at least be able to ignite stuff like gunpowder from afar like fire staff. Morning stars could use more base damage.

Structure: Walls could use tweaks, we want marble walls, endtable could hold food like a buffet table or trinkets for decorations, some turf should have uses like scaled floring and cobblestone (why not small sanity aura for sophisticated ones).

Refine: Beeswax! It should have more uses than just making wax paper. From wax statues to sticky flooring to preservation, this thing brims with wasted potential. Tick fur also almost never made here for how many tufts it requires.

Magic: One Man Band could me made more useful if given less sanity drain or more durability. Night should burn for longer to see more often usage.

Dress Tab: Oh boy this has a lot of underused stuff. But the most glaring one is Cat Cap in my opinion. Gathering all those tails is much harder than the Winter hat yet this merely gives the heat protection of Rabbit Earmuffs. The item looks like a ushanka anyway, much warmer than a winter beret. Should be tweaked to rival Winter hat at the least. Breezy Vest is also mostly useless for the low protection it provides when puffy west is available in winter. Feather hat doesn't contribute significantly in my opinion to be viable. Summer Frest is also weak but can see some uses...

Okay so I already posted about this once but I actually tried to retry to tame a beefalo again, it was while before my last post since I did it.

And holy **** is this the biggest pain in my arse of all the tedious busy work in the game. One beefalo must eaten 90% of my map out of twigs, even with brushing. That's an entire season of dedication for something that slightly faster than a walking cane(but can't utilize road bonus and can't pick up/harvest without/dismounting). Nothing about this is hard just so incredibly tedious.

I suggest either

1)Better tools for keeping domestication leveled so after the initial painful investment a tame beefalo requires far less upkeep.

2)Make a tame beef have a ton more utility.

• Ability to farm large plots(requires new assets to be built but its a cool idea to make late game farming better, less tedious) with a plow or something. 
  • Saddles that allow to seat multiple people. In fact surprised this isn't a thing yet, transporting 4 people really fast might actually be worth the investment(but probably not)
  • Give them saddle upgrades to allow for storage
  • Allow them to move structures placed without destroying them.
  • Let them go on boats
  • Insert any other cool idea here

3)Let their hunger either not drain as fast or increase their diet to be more flexible.

4)More items to speed domestication

Welp, I'm done ranting. It's a cool mechanic but right now I'd argue it's really not well balanced, even for late game it just doesn't do enough aside from aesthetics which I don't it should just be for aesthetics since the mechanics is very interesting and fun.

Or FInally

5) LET ME MOVE CHESS PIECES WITH SOMETHING ELSE PLEAZERINO THANKS

Forgot you don't need to fully tame them to move marble, but if anything that makes taming beefs even less desirable

The fire based weapons, like Fire Staff and Fire Darts, are pretty much useless. I feel like an easy fix could be giving it a base damage + the fire damage (example, a fire dart could deal 20 dmg + the fire damage; fire staff could deal 10 dmg + the fire damage)

Wormwood's poop salad is pretty bad too as honey poultice restores the same amount of health, works on all characters, is easier to make if you've located a swamp and bees, and has a quicker animation

Tooth Traps are now totally outclassed by Wormood's bramble traps

Night light... i've never used it to be honest, I don't even know if it's bad or not but if a veteran player that has played the game since DS beta has never used it, well... it says a lot

But I feel the one I desperately wish was buffed is CAT CAP

Back when it was first introduced in RoG it used to drop directly from Catcoons and also had some water resistance. How about:

-giving it a chance to drop directly from Catcoons (very low like 5%)

-give it 20% water resistance

-give it a new insulation tier: 90 points (instead of 60) and move the breezy vest in this tier too

This at least makes it really good for early spring/early winter, and makes it more unique

Cat Caps need to be slightly more... useful. Just maybe cheapen the recipe and/or up the insulation..

Winona's Spotlight needs to be made good, although for that I personally think she would need her generators retooled a bit.
They should be able to hold a charge with nothing happening, and spotlights should have bigger range, and be smart (i.e. turning off if everyone is in light). How to balance this? Who the heck would know how to fuel a generator besides Winona? Dangerous stuff, kids shouldn't be putting their hands near it.

And Winona's Trusty Tape should make Sewing Kits less obsolete by either being
A. Only usable by Winona
or
B. Way less effective if used by anyone who isn't Winona

This would make actually HAVING Winona way more useful, and you could prepare ahead with your Spotlights and Catapults.
This just became a rant about Winona.

I guess she's the useless item here after all. (Although she's really in the right direction now)

7 hours ago, Intrepidpioneer said:

Raising a tallbird egg.

All of the 'pets' could use a rework. The new moth one is a step in the right direction; the preexisting pets should begin following suit. One per update would be neat. Heck, there was a pet hound in the RoT trailer, let's go with that one first up!

7 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Light: Almost all items here are useful too but the most clear underused item here is Pumpkin Lantern. I doubt even 10% of the player base remembers that they exist outside Halloween and this is largely due to people being reluctant to use them as the fireflies in it are lost if it spoils by itself.

Science: Cartographer's desk is very useful but it only makes 1 item and becomes mostly obsolete when Global Positions mod is used. It could be tweaked to have more new items like treasure maps, sea charts or even items that'd give compass effect for a day etc.

Legit, if Pumpkin Lanterns dropped their Fireflies when rotting, my hesitance to use them would be gone.

As for the Cartographer's Desk, I'd say rename it to "Scribing Desk" to let it be multipurpose, and allow players to make Empty Blueprints using the same ingredients as Map Scrolls. The idea is that you could go into the crafting tab and clicking on any item with the Empty Blueprint to make a regular Blueprint for that item. Could even go to a crafting station and make a Blueprint of something that you have the tech level for but haven't crafted yet, in order to have a crafting recipe ready for the road without having to waste the materials.

4 hours ago, Ermac__ said:
  • Saddles that allow to seat multiple people. In fact surprised this isn't a thing yet, transporting 4 people really fast might actually be worth the investment(but probably not)

Halo tank side seating. Let people jump on and off at will.
Actually, I like it. Would be useful in public servers especially.

4 hours ago, Ermac__ said:
  • Let them go on boats

STILL WAITING FOR JUSTICE TO BE DONE

15 hours ago, Ermac__ said:

And holy **** is this the biggest pain in my arse of all the tedious busy work in the game. One beefalo must eaten 90% of my map out of twigs, even with brushing. That's an entire season of dedication for something that slightly faster than a walking cane(but can't utilize road bonus and can't pick up/harvest without/dismounting). Nothing about this is hard just so incredibly tedious.

-------------------------------------

[snip other text]

I mean Beefalo taming is aimed towards mid to late game. Using anything else but Dragonpie is ineffective on taming them, 4 Dragonpies and one brushing a day will suffice, after being domesticated they only require 4 - 5 twigs or 1 fist full of berries being fed. Those activities don't bother me(in my opinion).

Though I will say there are definitely some aspects of taming that are tedious, for example/ the annoyingly time consuming training required to get the Ornery or Rider beefalo type/ the insane amount of durability loss if beefalo shakes off their saddle/ dangers of acquiring steel wool[especially in solo play]

AND I do agree with the point that domesticated beefs should lose less hunger and to have them be able to do more tasks[especially carrying more than one player].

Also to add to your list of additions that should be added:

-Saddles should be repairable from their components like butterflies for Glossamer saddle/ steelwool for War saddle & pig skin for Normal saddle

Just... Everything in this thread, yeah. Do these.

Knowing all that there is to do in DS or DST. All I can do once I got a firepit and alchemy lab set up is to contemplate on what to do, and if the rest is worth my time.

It's not.

Years of preparation for something you'll keep in a chest and never use. Or use up in a single day.

4 hours ago, Flash.Jonathan said:

I mean Beefalo taming is aimed towards mid to late game. Using anything else but Dragonpie is ineffective on taming them, 4 Dragonpies and one brushing a day will suffice, after being domesticated they only require 4 - 5 twigs or 1 fist full of berries being fed. Those activities don't bother me(in my opinion).

Though I will say there are definitely some aspects of taming that are tedious, for example/ the annoyingly time consuming training required to get the Ornery or Rider beefalo type/ the insane amount of durability loss if beefalo shakes off their saddle/ dangers of acquiring steel wool[especially in solo play]

AND I do agree with the point that domesticated beefs should lose less hunger and to have them be able to do more tasks[especially carrying more than one player].

Also to add to your list of additions that should be added:

-Saddles should be repairable from their components like butterflies for Glossamer saddle/ steelwool for War saddle & pig skin for Normal saddle

I've made posts about farming but managing farms is basically as tedious as taming beefs. Farming dragon pies is going to eat up a lot of time on top of then training beefalo towards a tendency. I agree after taming it's not that bad with salt licks, but IMO even for late game this is far too much busy work for what you get out of it just to get to that point. I'd be fine with that resource sink if beefs were like super good utility engines but right now imo they're not.

I like that idea for the saddles.

3 minutes ago, landromat said:

all body items besides backpacks and armor

I would legit wear life giving amulet if I didn't drop anything on death/made it work the same as ot does in singleplayer and didn't use up any durability if at full health.

I love being tidy so I never use a backpack as everything's in its place. Problem is finding a good chest piece besides belt of hunger 

1 minute ago, Brago-sama said:

I would legit wear life giving amulet if I didn't drop anything on death/made it work the same as ot does in singleplayer and didn't use up any durability if at full health.

Single player style revival and the ability to manually turn off auto-healing (or if it just stopped at 5%) would make it more worth wearing to me. At present, I just keep one in inventory as an emergency Touch Stone.
...would certainly be a welcome change for cave life. I end up with far more life giving amulets than other healing items.

Archived