what is sporechiLd purpose for?

Composting.

It has a high decor but not very practical as it will doom the entire surroundings.

I hate this plant. I had to rollback my save in hours because a Pip took a seed in oil biome and planted it inside my base.

It's a pain to eliminate the contamination as you must vacuum the entire place where germs has been.

This is purely speculation on my part, but I suspect they were originally intended to be sources of a fairly devastating end-game diseases.  Alas, when diseases were reworked (read: neutered), symptoms like vomiting (food poisoning), death (slimelung), and zombification (zombie spores) were replaced with the inconveniences we have now.

And because it's both fun and a harbinger of what might have been, here's one last look at the animation unearthed by @watermelen671.

5c0ff7fd8811f_ezgif.com-apng-maker(51).p

23 minutes ago, goboking said:

This is purely speculation on my part, but I suspect they were originally intended to be sources of a fairly devastating end-game diseases.  Alas, when diseases were reworked (read: neutered), symptoms like vomiting (food poisoning), death (slimelung), and zombification (zombie spores) were replaced with the inconveniences we have now.

And because it's both fun and a harbinger of what might have been, here's one last look at the animation unearthed by @watermelen671.

5c0ff7fd8811f_ezgif.com-apng-maker(51).p

What are the worst case consequence of each disease now? It really stinks that diseases were neutered why even have such a huge doctor tree and specific technology and recipes? Is there a mod to restore all these diseases?

27 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

Calculations :D

:( description in game is unclear and wiki is outdated on all the diseases, it still tells me slimelung is going to kill me, now I don't know if there is even any point of building ANY doctors...

1 hour ago, NoQuitting said:

What are the worst case consequence of each disease now?

Increased bathroom usage (food poisoning), Athletics penalty and coughing (slimelung), and a hefty penalty to most skills (zombie spores).  The symptoms are varied, but on a meta level they all cause a decrease in productivity.

It really stinks that diseases were neutered

I liked it better the old way, but I understand why they made the changes they made.  To the uninitiated, an outbreak of food poisoning could lead to a downward spiral resulting in a dead colony.  I do wish they'd add an option to toggle severe disease symptoms for those of us who want a bit more out of the system.

why even have such a huge doctor tree and specific technology and recipes?

Because no colony survival game is complete with a doctor.  There's still room in future updates and DLC for the healthcare/disease system to be fleshed out.

Is there a mod to restore all these diseases?

None that I'm aware of.  The game just released a week ago, though; I imagine the community would need some time for a mod as complex as that.

Archived