Performance of the game post launch is terrible

1 hour ago, nakomaru said:

Assign a planet for our ultrapoop.sav colonists to visit and launch should begin once skies are clear. You should experience increasing hitching with each launch if you are me.

i7-9700K/32GB@3200/RTX2060/MPG-Z390AC/970EvoPlus-1TB

Somehow its launching to 30kkm asteroid with 20kkm worth of fuel. Dunno. 

Anyway, did observe hard hitching from 35 down to 15 fps when launched.

Then, i deconstructed the automation. No major FPS drop!

Haswell 4core/8thread, 3.5ghz, 8gb ram, sata SSD, gtx750ti ... 

Also, HOLY, 14k cycles with 3 dupes! 30mb save...

Thanks for the confirm. I also notice far better FPS after deconstructing rocket automation. I still notice periodic stuttering, but I'm not sure if it's tied to the rocket.

After playing more, I do believe it is the unautomated rocket causing continued hitching, although nowhere near as bad as with automation.

1 hour ago, nakomaru said:

Assign a planet for our ultrapoop.sav colonists to visit and launch should begin once skies are clear. You should experience increasing hitching with each launch if you are me.

This save is a great example.  I haven't played a base to space yet since launch, but I was able to load up this save and there is definitely an issue.  Before launching the rocket, I'm capped at 60fps and it's super smooth.  After launch, fps is cut in half and worse yet, it starts the hitching thing every few seconds.

Hey, how do you all utilize  such huge volumes of regolith? I can throw excess water and gases into space. What to do with excess regolith?

I tested again and grabbed my save file, attached here

This save shows what I imagine you guys are encountering with rockets, but I'm getting slideshow/lockup by simply mining out the bottom tiles of my water reservoir just above the abyssalite. 

In general the FPS on this base isn't great, it definitely feels different than Mk3

Forget my mention of the smelter causing lag as I haven't been able to replicate the lag queuing up the smelter today for whatever reason

I've abandoned this save because the lag is just too bad in general

Lag-testing.sav

Interestingly, I've launched a few rockets and haven't had any noticeable FPS issues in the attached save. In fact, I saw a slight performance improvement between 356355 and 357226. I play at 5120x2880@60Hz fullscreen, so my FPS is capped at 30ish. I use a late 2015 5k iMac running the latest Windows: Core i7-6700K @ 4GHz, 32GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M395.

Luckless Dwelling.sav

5 hours ago, j3mini2 said:

I tested again and grabbed my save file, attached here

This save shows what I imagine you guys are encountering with rockets, but I'm getting slideshow/lockup by simply mining out the bottom tiles of my water reservoir just above the abyssalite. 

In general the FPS on this base isn't great, it definitely feels different than Mk3

Forget my mention of the smelter causing lag as I haven't been able to replicate the lag queuing up the smelter today for whatever reason

I've abandoned this save because the lag is just too bad in general

Lag-testing.sav

Hello j3mini2! I tested your savefile on my computer (which uses Linux), here's a screenshot and report:

https://imgur.com/a/nVUMrf6

In general while playing that game I could maintain ~45 FPS constant, 60 FPS when paused. If I run the game at "fast speed" instead my FPS drop to about ~37, . The jetpacks didn't seem to cause any problem here. Some areas are laggier than others but none went below 30 FPS at any point even when scrolling at fast game speed.

I'll try other people's savefiles next.

Edit: (performed the bottom digging test)

I also went and performed your test, digging up the bottom of the huge water reservoir, and I got FPS drops to 9~15 and then 1 FPS, and then back up when they finished digging, and then down again, and it stayed around the 9 FPS mark if at triple speed, and around 22 FPS when at double speed (2 triangles). I then tested saving the game, quitting to main menu, and loading it again, and the lag stayed. I then tested quitting to desktop and loading the game again, and I got my original performance back, the one I had before digging up the bottom of the reservoir. Curious glitch! This file is great! Thanks for sharing.

12 hours ago, nakomaru said:

Ok another very good file for testing. I tried this one (triple speed), started with about 50 FPS until I launched a rocket, and the game started to stutter. FPS dropped to about 32 at double speed and about 18 at triple after the launch (when looking directly at the screen with the rocket and the hydrogen room), but what's most interesting is that the turbines next to it, and everything around the base began to stutter! This isn't reflected in the FPS, but it's like things run and then stop and then run and then stop, even when the game is continually playing; your save demonstrates how to turn ONI into a turn based game!  =D  each "pause" happens after about half a second. So each second you have things running and pausing twice. Thanks for sharing!

1 hour ago, Pentalis said:

Hello j3mini2! I tested your savefile on my computer (which uses Linux), here's a screenshot and report:

https://imgur.com/a/nVUMrf6

In general while playing that game I could maintain ~45 FPS constant, 60 FPS when paused. If I run the game at "fast speed" instead my FPS drop to about ~37, . The jetpacks didn't seem to cause any problem here. Some areas are laggier than others but none went below 30 FPS at any point even when scrolling at fast game speed.

I'll try other people's savefiles next.

Edit: (performed the bottom digging test)

I also went and performed your test, digging up the bottom of the huge water reservoir, and I got FPS drops to 9~15 and then 1 FPS, and then back up when they finished digging, and then down again, and it stayed around the 9 FPS mark if at triple speed, and around 22 FPS when at double speed (2 triangles). I then tested saving the game, quitting to main menu, and loading it again, and the lag stayed. I then tested quitting to desktop and loading the game again, and I got my original performance back, the one I had before digging up the bottom of the reservoir. Curious glitch! This file is great! Thanks for sharing.

I did the digging test and got similar results.  Before digging I'm 50-60fps, then after digging it's down to single digits.  Good file for showing the issue, hopefully it will be patched soon.

@Ipsquiggle

Here you are, the information you've requested:

Specs:

Core i7 6700

GTX 1070

16 GB RAM

Game's installed on a Samsung EVO SSD.

Hiigara.sav is my main save file right now, and you will find out very quickly that the game is stuttering right off the bat without even having launched a rocket yet. Unfortunately the launch bay doors still need to be hooked up with automation wires and I ran out of time tonight so if you want to launch the rocket you will have to get the dupes to finish building the wire. 

The Inspiring Paradise.sav is my QoL Mk3 save file, and is an attempt to showcase the poor performance in the launch release. During QoL Mk3 I was getting about 10 FPS higher in this save than I am now. I am hoping that you are able to run this save file in the QoL Mk3 version on your end and compare it to the launch version. 

Hiigara .sav

DxDiag.txt

The Inspiring Paradise.sav

Devs need to put some factorio dev magic here. Man Factorio devs go insane lenghts to optimize game for insanity, have you seen how big your factory can get there? Both are 2D games.

Okay, so could you guys tell me what FPS do you get on my save? It's a very mild thing. No rockets, all critters froze to death ages ago. 20 dupes. I'd like to know if it's all the debris and stuff or if it's my PC and I should abandon all hope :p I wanted to make ranches and build a rocket and all that, but if it's like this right now, man I don't know. My eyes would already hurt if I tried to move the camera much or build while game is unpaused :(

Also, dupes are stopping for a few seconds at a time trying to think what to do next, or even between digging tiles that are right beside one another they will often make a short pause. I know they often have more than 1 path to get to places, but if I can't build nice efficient base and only have to do exact XYZ then what am I doing here? Maybe I have to wait with ONI till I can afford a better PC, I don't know.

Thanks a bunch.

I'm getting 20-23 FPS on the triple speed here. 48-53 when paused, 12-14 when temperature overlay is on :D

Core i5-4670 # 32GB RAM # NVidia gtx 1060

FPS.sav

Paradox. People playing 2D games most often have much more powerful hardware. Why such an imbalance?))

@Ellilea 40FPS (zoomed out) to 56 FPS (zoomed in) on triple speed. 30FPS on 10x. No hitching on 3x/10x here. (no mods enabled)

If you want to get better FPS with a medium end CPU, you might want to try a 3 dupe base. You can see how much it might change by using my save at the top of page 4.

@aresd Physics simulations used to be the most demanding computational loads before cryptocurrency and neural nets were around. :)

@Ellilea 40-50fps for me with your base.  That's with an i7 8700k.  Letting it run for a few cycles and it didn't change, seems to run fairly smooth and completely playable on my machine.  Performance feels pretty typical for the number of cycles with no hitching like the others are exhibiting.

Side note, are you really only using 4 bathrooms with 18 dupes on one shift?  I'm surprised that hasn't caused issues.  Typical rule of thumb is 1 bathroom per dupe per shift.

Ye, 4 bathrooms are entirely sufficient. Had those 20 dupes and 4 bathrooms for idk, 200, 300 cycles? Not a single accident. Didn't know I should have more lol.

I don't like the idea of a 3-4 dupes base much, everything would take forever :(

Thanks for testing. I guess I gotta get to making money instead of playing ONI so that I can properly play ONI one day :p

On 07/08/2019 at 2:40 PM, Nitroturtle said:

Side note, are you really only using 4 bathrooms with 18 dupes on one shift?  I'm surprised that hasn't caused issues.  Typical rule of thumb is 1 bathroom per dupe per shift.

Hell no, dunno who told you this but they were very very wrong :D 

I like my dupes to stack up on top of each other when they use the toilets. 36 dupes, 6 toilets. Perfection.

My FPS has been in the gutter since the game launched. My pc specs are on the weaker side, but before I would have a steady frame rate with it only really starting to slow down a little around cycle 66 or so.

Now when starting a new colony, my framerate is lower than it would be past cycle 66. This was after removing all mods, reinstalling the game, etc. mind you.

Archived