Performance of the game post launch is terrible

• Developer

Just to be clear: We're still looking into performance issues and optimization! It's a slow and ongoing process, so please bear with us while we work on it. If you ever notice specific things that cause dramatic performance problems, please bring it to our attention too! :D 

Well, many people have also reported lag when switching overlays. For some reason i feel like switching to "harvestable plants" overlay causes longest stutter on my current colony. It is quite surprising, considering how there isnt much data to present, at least in comparision to other views.

Radical after crash.sav

1 hour ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Just to be clear: We're still looking into performance issues and optimization! It's a slow and ongoing process, so please bear with us while we work on it. If you ever notice specific things that cause dramatic performance problems, please bring it to our attention too! :D 

16 hours ago, IAMCRAIG said:

My FPS has been in the gutter since the game launched. My pc specs are on the weaker side, but before I would have a steady frame rate with it only really starting to slow down a little around cycle 66 or so.

Now when starting a new colony, my framerate is lower than it would be past cycle 66. This was after removing all mods, reinstalling the game, etc. mind you.

My laptop used to be able to start a new colony with 60 FPS right out of the gate and hold that for at least 50-100 cycles. Now it doesn't even get 50 FPS when starting a new colony. This is going from QoL Mk3 to launch.

Opening some of the overlays does indeed drop FPS by about 10 or so (temperature, materials are the two big ones), although that's not my biggest concern. Again, I highly encourage you guys, if at all possible, to play QoL Mk3 on your end as I'm assuming you have that capability, and compare it to performance in launch. I don't know how powerful your workstations are but my performance has definitely dropped and I have a core i7 that's only a few years old. 

I've uploaded my latest save file to gauge performance once again. Perhaps other people could play it and compare? I'm getting just below 30 FPS when panning around my base now. Seems way too low of a frame rate for a base with just 16 dupes.

Hiigara .sav

1 hour ago, Ipsquiggle said:

If you ever notice specific things that cause dramatic performance problems, please bring it to our attention too! :D 

Very nice, because i stopped playing caused by lag and stutter since release.
Perhaps some network stuff, related to stuttering?
https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fsteamcommunity.com%2Fid%2Fpen-chan%2Frecommended%2F457140%2F

It feels like it's a combination of pathfinding and dupe-task-checking: When many dupes have many things to check if there is something to do and simultaneously check their route through a complex base. I closed all my dupes into a small room and killed all critters that were able to move freely in my complex base (especially all flying critters) and almost got the initial fps back.

But I don't understand why the CPU/RAM/HD/GPU-usage is low, even if the game fps is low.

On 5.8.2019 at 2:19 PM, Lutzkhie said:

does using SSD increase performance? or game is just CPU hungry?

I tried. Game loading is much faster but fps in complex bases is still low.

Hello again all! 

I started fresh from my last base posted above, 800+ cycles in and I haven't seen that huge lag re-surface, until I tried to deconstruct some ladders underwater :o

Since it seemed so similar to my last confirmed problem, I figured I'd give you guys another example in case it helps. My save is attached and I posted a SS of what I'm deconstructing

As soon as the dupes start to disassemble frame rate goes bye bye

UnderwaterDeconstruct.sav

Deconstruct-SS.png

Playing ONI with a full built crazy base, 50 dupes, with fast forward speed and playing/tabbing WorldofWarships at the same time is fun :)

I find the gameplay of both titles complementary, its fun playing both at the same time.

1 Sim title ( Factorio, ONI or Cities Skylines ) and 1 action title are the perfect gameplay and system match for running and playing both at the same time.

Cities Skylines also likes to suck 1 turbo speed cpu core to the max, but contrary to ONI also drains the players gpu to  the max on a mega city @ max map size. Running some action game sucks "The rest" or something else of a system - Perfect match for those which play 2 or more game titles at the same time on a pc.

Multicore loading/processing/setup of ONI savegames would be great, my saves take 5 minutes to load compile and jam freeze 1 monitor screen for that time.

I will wait 2 years before using ONI mods, hopefully there will be a bit more multicore support by then. Touch wood !

Flowers for LoVe

+++ Square wheels for everyone

Huge late game problem that I've noticed since MK2 is that dupes make decisions in real time, making playing on 3x speed actually terrible for productivity when they spend the same amount of real time pondering. When you pause the game you can see them transition from pondering to a task.

Also dupes travelling across the map to pick up something only to drop it on the floor where they picked it up because their job suddenly changed for some reason is inexcusable.

Keep this post up top

Its so sad, I stopped playing before until I got some upgrade CPU and GPU and yet still not enough, 100+ cycles no automation yet, only a few pipes running around, very simple power generation yet it drops to 12fps from time to time

32 minutes ago, Lutzkhie said:

Keep this post up top

Its so sad, I stopped playing before until I got some upgrade CPU and GPU and yet still not enough, 100+ cycles no automation yet, only a few pipes running around, very simple power generation yet it drops to 12fps from time to time

Same here and i even analyzed ONI traffic with icesword, tried to figure out, if it comes from blocked network connections.
I still do not understand why ONI needs those connections, but who cares about metrics data these days..
met.PNG.55a5e0f1c630431b0ca4d5d10898ff9a.PNG

1565722225_oxygennotincluded.thumb.png.7eb097f8919fdbde9632ab9e3e0ee5d5.png

2 hours ago, Oozinator said:

Same here and i even analyzed ONI traffic with icesword, tried to figure out, if it comes from blocked network connections.
I still do not understand why ONI needs those connections, but who cares about metrics data these days..

Did you know you can turn off data collection in the options?  Or, is this with it already turned off?

5 hours ago, Nitroturtle said:

Did you know you can turn off data collection in the options?  Or, is this with it already turned off?

Not everything gets "switched off 100%", try it out on your own, results may differ.
In my Firewall example, metrics collection was deactivated..

Archived