Griftlands Reboot, Alpha and Roadmap

3 minutes ago, ResettePlayer said:

Well, depends on the person. It seems we did not forget about this game when it was originally announced in 2017, two years ago. The games industry moves very quickly, so one year is about as long as this may be tolerable... but this is not even the full game. It's a buggy, incomplete alpha (kind of like the Epic store itself). According to this roadmap, more content will be released when it's put on Steam anyway. 

Bear with me, Epic is pretty gross. I wish Steam's only main competitor was not such crap. Should the deal change to Griftlands being an Epic exclusive forever (which is incredibly unlikely, but just for argument's sake), I'll join the riot. But heck, it's one year of an incomplete game. We'll have plenty of time to offer feedback through Early Access before full release.

Alpha and early access are the same thing. Klei's games are often in EA for a year or more. They intend to release this Fall of next year, and it's only going to be available on Steam starting in June. That gives them a few months of "early access", so it doesn't quite seem to be the way you think it is.

This will sound negative but I feel like I have to say it ... But before that let me explain my expectations (before seeing this new trailer) - I expected a steam game, that is like darkest dungeon but with more story/talk.

After seeing the trailer, here comes the negative part...

1.I don't like epic and I won't support it!

2.Card games are not for me... (as said before)I expected something like DD but with more maps more freedom and dialog.

After saying this - I mIght try the game on steam if it has a free weekend or something but this is a pass for me. Thou I still hope ppl enjoy it (preferably on steam)

(offtopic rant feel free to skip)

Spoiler

Just imaginate if Steam starts to buy exclusives too. Then EA(origins) starts buying exclusives too, and everybody else does the same = PC gaming ruined ! You will need to have 5-10 launchers to play different games because everybody will have exclusives and everybody will have your info..... I won't support this ! 

An Epic store exclusive is antithesis to what makes Klei great: Getting player feedback to make a better game. The fact that an exclusive greatly diminishes how many players can play and give that important feedback just feels wrong. Feels like going back on this way that makes Klei games great.

3 minutes ago, KevinWalter said:

Alpha and early access are the same thing. Klei's games are often in EA for a year or more. They intend to release this Fall of next year, and it's only going to be available on Steam starting in June. That gives them a few months of "early access", so it doesn't quite seem to be the way you think it is.

True, I may be spinning things to be more positive. However, I will say one last thing: Klei (and game developers in general) tend to overestimate how quickly things will take. They will most likely release the full game much later than fall 2020. With regards to getting onto Steam in the first place, seeing how badly the Epic store exclusivity is being received, it's probably within their best interest to put it on Steam riiiiiight when they say they will. Or else a significant chunk of their buyers will flip their desks even more violently than now.

This is all speculation, and being on Epic is a disappointment and all, but it shouldn't spoil our experience of the game when it does come out. We've been patient so far.

Just now, __IvoCZE__ said:

I just hope that Klei will realize the mistake before Griftlands are out.

Not to crush your hopes and dreams, but deals like this usually involve a contract that locks both parties into fulfilling certain obligations. It's very unlikely that Klei could view the feedback from this decision and change their minds. Your hope should be placed in them not partnering with Epic or similarly awful companies in the future.

I'm honestly surprised and a bit disappointed that you guys made an exclusive partnership with Epic Games considering their scummy business practices. I understand you like to work with new distribution platforms and help them along, but this partnership seems out of character for the wholesome company Klei is. Also, let's be honest, Epic Games doesn't need help. This was about the money (which is fine, you are a company for profit), but don't use "we help new platforms" as a cover up. We all know you wouldn't have cut off a majority of your player base if it wasn't about the money.

I have been pretty excited for this game and was excited to see a trailer drop today. I love the visuals and the ideas presented in the original trailer. As much as I want to support Klei I will not support Epic Games. For that reason I will be waiting until next year to buy this game, if I do get it at all now.

That being said, DO NOT REVIEW BOMB KLEI. This has become a popular trend on Steam and it's less than helpful. There are more productive ways about talk about these things, ie here.

4 minutes ago, WilliamGreywind said:

Getting player feedback to make a better game

This actually does puzzle me a wee bit. Going on Epic will likely cut down a lot of the potential players they'd have. Well, maybe a decent amount of units will be sold, but only a smallish percentage of those buyers will be consistent feedback-givers.

Right now I'm just happy the game will release on Steam at all! Klei is probably my favorite developer, but Epic exclusivity would be a game breaker for me. Finding out Klei won't abandon Steam was a huge relieve.

Personally I try to skip alpha's/EA and wait for the full game to arrive anyway. For example, I've yet to play ONI.

NGL, when I saw the trailer my heart started racing,
then I saw the Epic Games Logo, and it sorta slowed down,
now Im here and even if I won't participate in the Alpha, Im happy at least some news are out and steam will be getting it next year.
I know brand deals are important, but with the bad rap Epic has so far I dont know how well Alpha will go, hope for the best regardless

46 minutes ago, DirtWolf said:

If you buy on Epic, you'll get it on Steam for free

with that notion, i don't see how it's so bad. i dont think Epic is a good quality launcher. I can deal with it for a single game for a year though.

Just now, Bluckles said:

i dont think Epic is a good quality launcher. I can deal with it for a single game for a year though.

I will send you some links about Epic and Tencent in PM when I have time, if it won't happen early just text me.

2 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

I will send you some links about Epic and Tencent in PM when I have time, if it won't happen early just text me.

I already looked at things: Tencent has a "minority investment" in Epic. The whole selling information thing is 100% speculation. The launcher itself is just a **** quality

Dear Klei, while I know this is a deal you cannot get out of, I beg of you. Please do not do this ever again. If this happens with Don’t Starve, I will be devastated. This is not enough for me to boycott you and your products, though, and I will be purchasing Griftlands on Epic. You are still better than most other Epic exclusives. But do this again, and you may give me no choice.

Edit: Epic is actually worse than I thought it was, and I didn’t think that was possible. Sorry Klei, I guess I’ll have to wait a year.

I'm kinda sad it's no longer a RPG, I have hopes of being a good game and I would probably instabuy it since its KLEI and I have my bias.

Then I saw Epic Store logo, big F.

I'll probably buy it next year tho, however I'm kinda worried about how people will receive this, still I'm hopeful about the game, despite not being a RPG.

Still looking forward to Griftlands and it's hear to great some news. I also appreciate Klei sharing their insight and thoughts so openly. As for the Epic Store, I probably dislike it way more than the average guy and will never resort to it. For me waiting one year is no problem whatsoever, however. It's not like I'm going to miss anything since the alpha will hit Steam eventually, and I have plenty of other things to do and games to play meanwhile. Looking forward to see more of Griftlands. :D I hope that the concept with cards and deck building will work out well.

My favourite part about this epic deal is that most of the people here a.k.a. the dedicated fans are speaking negatively about it so having an exclusive alpha seems for garnering feedback seems like backwards reasoning. I get that Epic is throwing money at everyone for exclusivity but is it worth it to create a barrier between you and your fans. Hell I even created this account through steam on which I own every Klei game every DLC every game you've published (outside of the 2 shanks). I wishlisted Griftlands over a year ago before it was a card game and I have to wait another year to play a game that's available in a month. I'm just frustrated in one of my favourite Devs is all. BTW I'm actually more excited about Griftlands after the rogue-like card game approach as I'm a big StS fan. I guess StS will fill the niche for another year then. I still love you guys at Klei and this won't stop me playing and supporting your endeavors in the future.

11 minutes ago, PetreyT. said:

the rogue-like card game approach

To be honest, the card system reminds me of Kingdom Hearts chain of memories on the GBA, so no problem with the mechanics in my opinion. It looks like a lot of fun.

I'm not being negative at Klei at all, I'll just be patient and wait the next year so I can send bug reports on steam. Just don't want anything to do with epic.

Here's Appabend's thoughts on the platform:

Spoiler

YES! But does that mean I still get to sell my companions? :wilson_curious:

I'm so glad you're still going to release this game! Won't be able to play it before the Linux release, but I'm sure it's worth the wait.

To be honest, I find the reaction towards the Epic-exclusive alpha far too strong. Sure, Epic might be shifty in some way or another, but I'm also pretty sure that  Valve wouldn't look any better upon closer inspection: https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/16/15622366/valve-gabe-newell-sales-origin-destructive . The only reason why we feel more comfortable with it is because we're used to it, and probably because fewer people are spreading bad rumours.

And, while Steam wants 30% of a game's revenue, Epic only wants 12% (Alas, I only have a german source for this (from a highbrow newpaper, tho): https://www.zeit.de/digital/games/2019-05/computerspiele-fortnite-epic-games-store-gaming). That's 18% more money that can actually be reinvested into the game. Competition is definitely not bad for the market.

I think we should voice our concerns, simply because this might eventually drive Epic into becoming a better alternative to Steam. However, yelling 'EpiC iS bAd' over and over again while quietly assuming that Steam is a good guy seems rather  unreasonable. I'm sure the devs have thought this decision through, and since they decided to make a contract with Epic despite all the bad press, there must have been some damn good reasons to choose them as a partner.

Archived