Griftlands Reboot, Alpha and Roadmap

3 hours ago, Xanoskar said:

German Player here:

I bought the game yesterday but it states that the game is "unavailable" am I missing something?

It’s not out yet. As the original post stated the alpha releases on July 11th.

What can i say? This looks terrible now. 
This movement away from real immersive gaming for quick stupid card games is utterly ruining everything...including my highest hope for an RPG in over a decade. Thanks for disappointing everyone who stuck with you through development. 
I hope your full pockets make up for the empty hole where your creativity and artistic integrity used to be. 
This will be the first Klei game I actively boycott will tell others to do the same.

PS - Whomever made this decision needs to be fired.

On 23. 6. 2019 at 2:14 PM, Ahpook said:

What can i say? This looks terrible now. 
This movement away from real immersive gaming for quick stupid card games is utterly ruining everything...including my highest hope for an RPG in over a decade. Thanks for disappointing everyone who stuck with you through development. 
I hope your full pockets make up for the empty hole where your creativity and artistic integrity used to be. 
This will be the first Klei game I actively boycott will tell others to do the same.

PS - Whomever made this decision needs to be fired.

I actually like card games unless they scream ea or silently sneak epic into the mix.

From what I have seen the RPG thing is kinda there in small bits and/or it will be something like a Telltale game ( without the cookie cutter bs ) - basically a story game where it ACTUALLY affects you ( the card options )

The card thing doesn’t sell it to me either (meh, bought it anyway. Klei is yet to disappoint me), however, it is just a game mechanic, so whenever it will be good or bad has nothing to do with “card system”. Every game is abstract to some extend, though personally, I find cards work well for tabletop, but feel weird in a digital setting. 

If I remember well Invisible Inc, started as a card game concept. Klei is a small company, which games benefit from smaller focus, so Griftlands RPG did sound like a dangerously ambitious project. Whatever it is they want to do, I am game.

Well I own nearly every game made by Klei and even got my wife Klei stuff from their online store (winter hat, lanyard, etc).  But this is totally flat unacceptable.  Another company on my probably permanent naughty list.

By putting it on epic you went from two instant sales (one for each of our PCs) to my wife never even knowing it existed (she doesn't check gaming sites and she certainly doesn't check the epic store) and me scratching it from my list, possibly forever.

One thing I've noticed is I've scratched every single exclusive epic has hoovered up so far and you know what?  My games list of games I want this and next year is *still* longer then I'll be able to play (and I have lots of free time).

I hope it was a big check.

On 2019-06-14 at 6:00 AM, Trypsinogen said:

This is great and all sure, but Invisible Inc. 2 when, though???

"Invisible Inc. 2"" ??  Damn, yes! Please!

Griftlands looks great to me! It has been on my wishlist for a while now and I will definitely buy it as soon as it is released on Steam. I don't mind waiting. I would probably even buy it on Epic if there was no prospect of getting it on Steam one day.

I don't understand why people are getting so furious about this. Klei must have had their reasons to choose Epic. If not, well, never mind. All I know is that I want them to continue developing games!

Weird... most of the DS, DST, and ONI streamers I follow stopped playing Klei games shortly after this announcement - the only one still playing a Klei game (Don't Starve) is the one actually sponsored by Klei.
Must be a coincidence.

23 hours ago, StolenXP said:

Will people be able to stream the alpha on July 11 or will there be an nda? 

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:33 AM, JoeW said:

There will be no restrictions, but as always we do ask that viewers are reminded that it's an alpha version and still in development.  

I feel like playing Devil's Advocate in this instance. This game has obviously been stirring around in development Hell for a bit, having to be rebooted so that Klei could get the feel for the game they wanted. With that much resource put into the game, and the change in genre I can kind of understand why they would want to go with Epic if that meant a certain payment as opposed to not as many people buying the game to cover the cost. Let's remember that games are expensive with money, time, and energy. Let's not forget that several people on the team sink a lot of their blood, sweat and tears into these kinds of games. Klei has shown that they're not money hungry goblins out to scam us, while I'm not happy about Epic exclusivity, at the very least let's show understanding to the developers that have been so open and responsive to us.

Not sure what guidelines were broken, aside from that direct insult I pointed out, but now we never will know what ones we broke since we are completely unable to see our posts. Anyways, I see no point in furthering this discussion if comments are just going to be deleted without warning. I suppose I apologize for anything I might have said that was rude. I'll just leave my final opinion for @Ageless since they probably didn't even get to read our responses.

Change isn't directly a bad thing, but Epic offers nothing to users to encourage them to make that change from Steam to Epic. Epic lacks basic features that steam already has. What we were trying to say was that there is NO reason whatsoever for anybody to choose Epic over steam. I'm almost positive the only reason half of Epic's users have it installed is because they were left no choice, as maybe one of their long awaited games went exclusive. People can seriously start considering Epic over steam BY CHOICE, when they finally stop trying to choke out steam with these exclusive deals, and actually offer a better product/storefront.

I said in a removed post that I understand Devs taking these deals as they get a bigger cut, I guess I can't even blame them. Its just disappointing is all. :(

13 hours ago, Crimson Chin said:

Not sure what guidelines were broken, aside from that direct insult I pointed out, but now we never will know what ones we broke since we are completely unable to see our posts. Anyways, I see no point in furthering this discussion if comments are just going to be deleted without warning. I suppose I apologize for anything I might have said that was rude. I'll just leave my final opinion for @Ageless since they probably didn't even get to read our responses.

Change isn't directly a bad thing, but Epic offers nothing to users to encourage them to make that change from Steam to Epic. Epic lacks basic features that steam already has. What we were trying to say was that there is NO reason whatsoever for anybody to choose Epic over steam. I'm almost positive the only reason half of Epic's users have it installed is because they were left no choice, as maybe one of their long awaited games went exclusive. People can seriously start considering Epic over steam BY CHOICE, when they finally stop trying to choke out steam with these exclusive deals, and actually offer a better product/storefront.

I said in a removed post that I understand Devs taking these deals as they get a bigger cut, I guess I can't even blame them. Its just disappointing is all. :(

Thank you for taking the time to explain your point of view, I did have a chance to see your previous post and I understand your position.

My stance is and will remain that I support the developers in this venture. Their livelihood depends on securing the largest amount of compensation for their efforts and they are fully entitled to that. I have deemed for myself as a consumer that based on my observation of the issue so far, that the Epic storefront does not pose any significant enough threat or discomfort that would dissuade me from enjoying their product there. Others are welcome to and have made their own decisions regarding this issue. Should any of these conditions change in the future I will alter my position regarding them then and there.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this topic.

While it is disappointing to see a game I have looked forward to forever completely change (RPG -> card game), its understandable if the RPG plan hasn't working out. However it is even more disappointing to see the company I voted for as developer of the year get in bed with with an unapologetic anti-consumer firm like Epic. I for one will not be purchasing any more of your games.

Firstly wanted to say Griftlands is epic (no pun intended), and I'm so so so happy with the release.

Secondly wanted to say that it's pretty sad to see so many not even entertaining the idea of purchasing the game through Epic, even though they'll get it for free on Steam when it's released into early access. I also find it crazy that people are supposedly boycotting Epic for being corrupt when Steam is the worst of the bunch. You say Epic doesn't care about it's community as if Steam does. And not only does Steam not care about their community, they also don't care about their developers. Epic offers a better cut for devs, and so what if they offered Klei more money? Klei are a business at the end of the day, yet they've always gone above and beyond for their community. EVERY game they have released that even slightly entertains the idea of playing with friends they've offered an extra free copy of the game with the standard purchase. Tell me another company that's done that with all their multiplayer games? If you want to keep getting amazing games from these guys SUPPORT THEM.

Why are gamers so entitled. Why can't you guys support them the same way they support us? I prefer playing my games on Steam too - the UI and profile system etc is so much better, and all my games are also on there. But I'm not going to sit here pretend that Steam has consumers best interests at heart, or that they care about their devs. Steam are lazy and have had no real competition for a ridiculous amount of time, which is why they never try and do better. Epic are at least actively trying to get ahead of their competition. The reason so many devs are going to Epic is because they are being offered a much much better deal. If Steam wants to keep ahead of the competition they've got to start caring more about their developers.

After playing Slay the Spire for a while, I'm glad to discover that Griftlands look similar but have more depth both in mechanic and presentation. Bought the game solely for that. Hopefully the game will be easier to mod because that's the only reason Slay the Spire is still alive for me. Would love to have another mode without story and such, just a kind of endless run.

Also I don't understand about the whole Epic fiasco. People thought Steam cared about players? I can't say I've seen that after a long while of playing DotA2 and with the recent Artifact release. Calling Epic stealing your information while willingly giving the same thing to Steam, and seem like not even one remember how Steam leaked people's credit card information back then. And if you ever did anything for DotA workshop, you should remember how Valve screwed everyone over.

I don't care where my games are, if I can support the dev I like then I'll do it.

Pretty sure everyone is overreacting to the whole Epic Games thing, who cares. I got the game because it's Klei and they never disappoint. Been waiting for an update on Griftlands for ages and yes, it's a card game now and...it's great, promising and unique, with near endless potential. Never played anything like that, Epic or not.

Archived