Griftlands Reboot, Alpha and Roadmap

I know I'm late to the party (I think I'm only allowed to post on these forums every two years :p), but I've had this game on my wishlist since it was announced the first time and am bummed I have to wait another year for it to get off epic. :(

(I'm as tired of the arguments for/against Epic as everyone else, but they don't have a family sharing system and will autoban shared accounts, and I can't afford to buy single player games multiple times for a single household.)

As much Epic sucks, and they do really really suck, another strike against the once-great company that was Klei, I could honestly give a **** about that.

What I am still upset about is the fact that they turned what looked like it was going to be the best RPG in over a decade into a pathetic card game...apparently to ride the cash wave these shallow fatuous creative wastelands are generating.  Honestly, they are like the reality TV of the gaming world.  So much junk food.  Gross.

But even beyond that Klei, you led us on.  For a really long time.  The moment you made the decision to dump the original concept you sold us on, you had an obligation to tell us.  This is just disingenuous and shifty behavior of the worst kind.  The kind of thing you only find from the worst bottom-feeding corporate grifters.

Griftlands indeed.  A very approrpriate name.

On 10/19/2019 at 11:43 PM, Ahpook said:

As much Epic sucks, and they do really really suck, another strike against the once-great company that was Klei, I could honestly give a **** about that.

What I am still upset about is the fact that they turned what looked like it was going to be the best RPG in over a decade into a pathetic card game...apparently to ride the cash wave these shallow fatuous creative wastelands are generating.  Honestly, they are like the reality TV of the gaming world.  So much junk food.  Gross.

But even beyond that Klei, you led us on.  For a really long time.  The moment you made the decision to dump the original concept you sold us on, you had an obligation to tell us.  This is just disingenuous and shifty behavior of the worst kind.  The kind of thing you only find from the worst bottom-feeding corporate grifters.

Griftlands indeed.  A very approrpriate name.

Have you even tried the game? 

Actually, everything in-game is working incredibly well, giving a unique feel, replayability, and twist. Sure the story won't win any noble prizes and the RPG elements are very light and straightforward. But the game has the charm.

I would take this any day, than abundance of " the best RPG in over a decade" mess of features that make the whole game feel sluggish at best. We have had more than enough of those on the market and we still do.

Griftlands, is maybe heavily relying on card mechanics but it's done in a very neat and entertaining way, preserving  klei's established formula.

Honestly, I think it's a bit silly to complain about this. I am totally on the side of "Epic is terrible" but Klei is doing this in literally the best possible way. They aren't delaying the release version, they're having Epic have their exclusivity deal while they're in Alpha. It's basically free money for Klei and no one has to wait for the actual release of the game. By the time Early Access rolls around, the game will be better polished and a more fun experience since they'll have had a year of development. Just pretend this article is announcing EA for next year and no one would complain.

Most other people doing these exclusivity deals are doing it with their ready to release, complete games, and dropping it on their fans at the last second. Klei is only making their -alpha- exclusive. That means this game isn't even to early access levels yet.

I Just bought the game, but didn't realise it was in Alpha since the Epic store isn't super clear on that stuff.

How complete is the game in terms of feature and polish? I generally don't like Alpha/beta testing (and tend to skip the EA phase), so wondering if I should put it back on the shelf/in the oven for another 6-12 months. I want to experience it at it's best :)

Edit: also how will the "buy on Epic, get steam key" work? It's sounding like in 5-6 months it launches in Early Access on steam.

Archived