Wilson Update

If Wilson role is a gentleman scientist, and a character to provide an authentic experience without gimmicks. What if we gave him this gimmick ability?

*Wilson now has Revearse Engineering. 

Reverse Engineering allows Wilson to learn unique crafting options from other survivors by breaking down their items. I'd be down for major drawbacks on it too. Like it consumes a full beard to learn a recipe and costs sanity whenever you replicate it.

Could be interesting if you want to learn everything the constant has to offer.

Honestly, I feel like they should make him a proper character, with interesting perks and drawbacks. His whole deal with having no drawbacks worked back in Don't Starve because he was the starting character for beginners, but since almost every character is unlocked in Together, there's really no point to using him once you learn the far superior characters.

I really hope they change him to be viable, instead of letting everyone on the server know you're a beginner if you're playing Wilson.

8 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I read in a previous topic that someone suggested that when he has full beard, he can sleep in it like if it was a puffy bedroll. Not a major rework but it would be something funny nonetheless :D

What if he just had in-built sleeping ability, beard or not? 50% efficiency of straw roll. Definitely fits with the "new player" thematic.

ya know I feel like Don't Starve is missing on something... explosions

let him make cheapo chemicals that work kinda like the hearth fire crystals form the forge

and when I say cheapo explosives I mean like have some by day 2 cheapo and easy to amass I'm looking at you Winona with having to wait 20 days to become useful

it fits him because the literal first thing we see him do in the forbidden knowledge trailer is blow stuff up

this and making him have beards fitting his head slot would be perfect

Wilson needs to be the personification of SCIENCE. His quotes are based on this, and even the quotes of skins (i love the Halloween one "stay back, i'm gonna do SCIENCE!"). 

He needs a new personal tab, like Wagstaff, even though he has a lot of gizmos and I see Wilson more like "experimental science" kind of guy. Flasks with effects? Explosive? Sanity? Health? (I hate you Klei, you put a lot of these in that Mad Science crafting station). 

I still laugh when, in the original game's intro, he sticks two rats together with tape. 

On the other hand, I also see Wilson as an actual survivor, with his beard growingas time passes and all. Maybe he would use his phisics knowledge to create a slingshot that shoots pebbles? (helps both newbies snd veterans), even a bow?

I don't know... I really hope Klei comes up with something good. 

4 hours ago, Naveil said:

instead of letting everyone on the server know you're a beginner if you're playing Wilson.

I play Wilson most of the time, cause SCIENCE, B****! :wilson_ecstatic:

I know that I've said this multiple times already, but I still stand by it.

I really like Wilson's status as a character with no explicit downsides and one minor/situational yet still handy perk. I've always saw his lack of downsides as a perk in itself. I would much rather that they simply give him a few more small upsides until he's on par with most other characters.

20 hours ago, Hell-met said:

What if he just had in-built sleeping ability, beard or not? 50% efficiency of straw roll. Definitely fits with the "new player" thematic.

This. This is exactly what I'm talking about. It's not super impactful or flashy, but still fairly helpful nonetheless. Thank you for the example!

The main Wilson's problem he's kind a boring in late game. Literally it'll more effective to use another characters in different situations when you cope with theirs downsides. The best way for his update, i think, it's to add tab and more useful crafts with beard, that'll reason to grow it even in spring.

Anyway, he still my favorite character, but i'll so glad to see him more interesting in late game.

Wilson remains one of my favorite characters in the game, but I've begun dropping him in favor of Wortox and Wormwood. I nearly have all of his skin sets because of the fact that he's my favorite, but he lacks the fantastic perks that other characters have even though I am aware of the fact that he's meant to be the introductory character to the game. Wortox for the fact that he's an absolutely fantastic medic (A great role to have in a game like this), and Wormwood because of the fact that even though farms aren't all that great, having these crops around that I haven't seen in a long time really adds some color and variety to the game. Plus, it's nice being challenged by not being able to heal via eating food.

This sounds absurd, but why couldn't he have kept some of the power that the Nightmare Throne offered? He needs something to keep him interesting. Charlie just had to go and take it all away from him. But then it might go and make him overpowered.

If I had to make a suggestion as to how to improve him, maybe make it so that his version of the mini-map is always constantly updated regardless of where his position on it is? The single-player version of the map always updates itself without the player needing to make sure to go back to a part of it to see if it changed or not, and I don't think it would be overpowering to have his map function similarly. Let the others use their Ocuvigils. At least Wilson would be great at making maps, even if that role seems minor.

Also, I'll keep saying this in threads pertaining to Wilson, bring back Shadow Wilson.

Image result for don't starve shadow wilson figureImage result for don't starve shadow wilson figureImage result for don't starve shadow wilson figure

2 hours ago, TheKingDedede said:

If I had to make a suggestion as to how to improve him, maybe make it so that his version of the mini-map is always constantly updated regardless of where his position on it is? The single-player version of the map always updates itself without the player needing to make sure to go back to a part of it to see if it changed or not, and I don't think it would be overpowering to have his map function similarly. Let the others use their Ocuvigils. At least Wilson would be great at making maps, even if that role seems minor.

what if he had a greater map reveal radius to go with the whole navigator role?

3 hours ago, TheKingDedede said:

27 minutes ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

what if he had a greater map reveal radius to go with the whole navigator role?

I like these, more minor but still handy perks!

One idea I had that might appeal to the SCIENCE!!! crowd (Even though I rather like the interpretation that despite being obsessed with science, he's still not actually all that great at it after all this time.) would be to give him a sort of researcher perk, where Wilson only needs to visit a crafting station once in order to unlock all of it's recipes. After that, he'd be able to prototype those items anywhere while still gaining the initial +15 sanity. And this would apply to ALL crafting stations, even ones that normally only work when you're next to them like the Ancient Pseudoscience Station. This could give him a niche but unique late game role by allowing ancient tab items to be crafted without having to go to the ruins.

Well, usually the figure of the mad scientist of the twentieth century is linked to electricity (Nikola Tesla, Edison, etc.)
Given that with Winona electricity has become an integral part of DST, Wilson could also build some strange (and dangerous) electrical machinery.
"Great! Now I can use the skies!" Wilson, when he examines the lightning rod.
And let's use these skies then, Wilson!

image.thumb.png.88fadf980ec6ea06e161a6248edf60b1.png

Archived