Hounds in the open sea are a death sentence

If you're sailing around in the open sea, and you hear hounds, then you're as good as dead. There's nowhere to outrun them and there's certainly no room to kite them. You have to just sit there and tank them. And of course when there's too many of them you can't even get a hit in when you're practically being stunlocked. Something needs to be done about balancing hound attacks in the ocean.

I love this.

First people complain about it being to safe out there, now hounds shred you apart, what else could you ask for?
Just like, prepare, plan for the days before you go sailing.

How often are you sailing? Not much in the island yet, and that's the only reason I can see someone being at open sea.

20 minutes ago, -Variant said:

First people complain about it being to safe out there, now hounds shred you apart, what else could you ask for?

Something that's not one extreme or the other.

22 minutes ago, -Variant said:

Just like, prepare, plan for the days before you go sailing.

23 minutes ago, Bird Up said:

I think you just need to prep well. It's like the bats in hamlet, they can be very overwhelming if you aren't ready.

How exactly would I prepare for hounds in the ocean? Unless you're Winona with one of her battle boatstm, there's not much you can do.

5 minutes ago, Leonardo Cox said:

Plan ahead and take account when hounds are likely to attack before you start sailing. All else fails, abandon ship. 

So what you're saying is if I plan on farming moon glass, not only do I need to wait for a full moon, I need to wait until after a hound attack too? Do the planets need to align too? Because it sounds very unlikely those two events would line up like that.

52 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Something that's not one extreme or the other.

How exactly would I prepare for hounds in the ocean? Unless you're Winona with one of her battle boatstm, there's not much you can do.

So what you're saying is if I plan on farming moon glass, not only do I need to wait for a full moon, I need to wait until after a hound attack too? Do the planets need to align too? Because it sounds very unlikely those two events would line up like that.

What I'm saying is not make yourself vunerable when you noticed you haven't been attacked in 7-12 days. If you can't plan ahead to where you can get to the lunar island before a specific time in a 6 day hound-free period then I'm sorry, its your fault. 

Wendy and Willow are getting OP.

On a serious note, I haven't tried the hound wave on the ocean yet, but it doesn't sound like too much fun. I guess there is always the option to abandon ship, but there should be a way to counter many hounds on the boat. Maybe it should be expensive to craft or maintain, to balance it?

Also, fire hounds could be problematic in summer and autumn, because I guess people don't waste room for flingos on a boat. I haven't got so far yet, so I don't know how fire spreads on the boat, but it can't be pleasant to see it burning down.

How am I gonna stop some big mean Mother-Hound from tearin' me a structurally superflouous new behind?

The answer, is a gun.

And if that don't work, use more gun.

Spoiler

Klei, seriously, we need way more gun

1 hour ago, fimmatek said:

Wendy and Willow are getting OP.

On a serious note, I haven't tried the hound wave on the ocean yet, but it doesn't sound like too much fun. I guess there is always the option to abandon ship, but there should be a way to counter many hounds on the boat. Maybe it should be expensive to craft or maintain, to balance it?

Also, fire hounds could be problematic in summer and autumn, because I guess people don't waste room for flingos on a boat. I haven't got so far yet, so I don't know how fire spreads on the boat, but it can't be pleasant to see it burning down.

Don't forget winona can also build her catapults on the boat.

7 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Your answer is in your first post. You can't kite so you have to tank. If you're going out on a boat, have the supplies you need to tank. If it's summer / autumn, have fire fighting supplies as well. Armor, healing items, ice, water balloons, whatever. Anyone can tank down a hound wave with the right, easily obtainable gear on their hotbar. 

Funny you wrote this, yesterday I was on out on the high seas when a large hound wave came in.   As wx I had 350 hp with two spare gears, a marble suit, and unlimited football helmets.   Also carry flute at all times but it’s hard to blow under attack.   Had glass saw as weapon.    Survived fairly easily but stuff caught on fire, was left with oar.

I thought of using bee mines (I used four) or a statue panic room, as they seem to deal with them rather easily.

For the bee mines, you're gonna have to keep a stock on you for each hound wave. For the statue panic room, the hounds normally can't get in and since the hounds are still considered to be wet, I just used Electric Darts. You can get on and off the boat without issues too.

Examples:

Spoiler

Bees

Spoiler

beeeeees.gif.36ca9deb6bac021720e7f3f0fdb28ae1.gif

Statues

Spoiler

5ce822e17f634_statuepanicroom.gif.f9d5880f6556d1f044b09c3e46c859c1.gif

I do agree though that tanking a Day 100+ hound wave on your own at sea is rather annoying and those were the two generic ways that I could think of that didn't require something character specific.

Never met hounds at sea, it seems annoying though. In Shipwreck, the ships are faster enough to run, but don't think you can out run them in DST. 

Most of the time, you should be able to tank it off, but occasional, if you are full of items collected from the islands, and low in health, sanity, and not enough armors around, it is a death sentence indeed.

I am sure in the future, there will be more features to armor the ship, so it can fight back.

11 hours ago, Leonardo Cox said:

What I'm saying is not make yourself vunerable when you noticed you haven't been attacked in 7-12 days. If you can't plan ahead to where you can get to the lunar island before a specific time in a 6 day hound-free period then I'm sorry, its your fault. 

This just kinda exacerbates the problem with hounds. It really shouldn't be about just sitting at your base while you wait for hounds. When you're on the land you can easily outrun them until you either reach your traps or find something to distract them long enough for you to divide and conquer. In SW amphibious hounds aren't much of an issue due to boats working similar to how you would walk around normally. But boats are a little more clunky (in a good way) and a lot slower. So hounds don't work the same as they do on land.

8 hours ago, fimmatek said:

For that, I was actually prepared for. Water balloons can be a life saver. Especially if you forgot to put a lightning rod down and/or don't have room for one...

4 hours ago, SteamMonkey said:

Anyone can tank down a hound wave with the right, easily obtainable gear on their hotbar. 

Honestly, I can only see WX, Wigfrid and maybe Wolfgang being able to tank an entire hound attack. It's really difficult to get in any hits when their attacks constantly interrupt yours.

16 minutes ago, TurtleKitty said:

Do you have a gif of using the electric darts on them? 

Just have a way for dealing with the fire caused by fire hounds (like Ice Staves, a Luxury Fan, or even an Ice Flingomatic). It also faces the issues of dart stacking, which is used in the Glommer Nuke exploit, though if you don't hold down the attack key and just shot one dart at a time, it may help prevent that.

Spoiler

darts.gif.91e50c7a1c89cebf9240ac874ac42442.gif

On 5/24/2019 at 5:52 AM, Dalek said:

How am I gonna stop some big mean Mother-Hound from tearin' me a structurally superflouous new behind?

The answer, is a gun.

And if that don't work, use more gun.

Hide contents

Klei, seriously, we need way more gun

Making darts far easier to craft should be enough I think, even if that means a nerf to damage.

Don't see how it's any different with hounds in a sandstorm. RIP

I'm pretty sure klei expects people to tank them either way, not run to a giant toothtrap field each time for an infinite amount of times. Gotta use player numbers to combine damage.

We’re so accustomed to being able to outrun any danger, this one of the first instances where we’re not fast enough. That’s more about boat speed than it is swimming hounds. I’m hoping that in the future we’ll see boats more along the lines of Shipwrecked’s boats, boats designed for travel, ones that you can use to kite.

9 hours ago, pedregales said:

Making darts far easier to craft should be enough I think, even if that means a nerf to damage.

I actually was mentioning some boat-cannons and rifles. Also in that case it would be nice to change the gunpowder recipe, cuz rotten eggs are not the easiest thing to obtain. May be adding some source of brimstone would be great.

it'd be wise to treat the hounds as a raid boss and bring a lot of back up armor and healing when boating

Although late game could be fixed by building a bridge of boats to the lunar islands

Also, in Shipwrecked, you have two different KINDS of hounds:  The land ones on land, and the sea ones (sharkies) in the sea.  And if you start off being chased by water hounds in the sea, and then land your boat, the ordinary ones usually don't INSTANTLY show up.  _They take a bit_.  And one can't follow you into the other one's medium.

Of course, the boats in Shipwrecked are at least normal walking speed, meaning that if you keep going in a straight line and DON'T.  STOP., you can outrun them long enough to get to...whereever you're going (or at least last a bit longer before you die trying).  The boats in Return of Them are more like...floating platforms than vehicles.  It's like needing the Enterprise to outrun the Borg, but unfortunately you're on Deep Space Nine.

(Note:  DS9 is actually friggin' awesome, both the show and the station itself.  Built for speed, however, it is NOT.)

...Notorious

Even if tanking hounds was an issue (it’s not until past day 100) you always have the option to abandon ship if you get caught out, so calling it a “death sentence” is pure melodrama.  Using a dark sword or equivalent lets you put a lot of damage into hounds as they arrive and early on completely stops them from surrounding you if tanking.

By day 100 you should only be sailing from lunar island to the closest point on the mainland which is a short period of time and again, can abandon ship.

Archived