Tutorial list with links

A condensed list of tutorials for ONI, if you have any links that believe should be included please post them below and I will add them.

QOL Mk3 Preview mechanics (Temporary)

Useful links

Spoiler

Geyser calculator will tell you how your geyser compares to other geysers on average (% better or worse) however this would not appear to be accurate. At least for Volcano's. Rocket calculator is a necessity if you want to conquer space efficiently.

Tutorials

1. Most important info on priorities This is the most common misconception on priorities
  2. Enable proximity mechanics (this is from a separate video)
Spoiler

If your dupes are not doing what you want when you want it then this will be useful for you.

1. Early base planning
  2. Early scheduling then slightly later scheduling then Much later scheduling
  3. Early Toilets
  4. Pre smart battery power generation
  5. Early food storage
  6. First food crop
  7. Why you switch to plumbed toilet's early
  8. Smart battery power generation then Little bit more info
Spoiler

Jobs system is due to be replaced so you can ignore that section. Art has been changed so high creativity is no longer necessary. Repair costs are actually 10% not 100%.

1. Carbon skimmer
  2. Stone hatch farming* also see Stone hatches are best/Sage hatches are bad
  3. Pacu farming*
  4. Puff farming*
  5. Morb farming*
  6. Glossy Drecko farming*
  7. Electrolizer setup/SPOM (Produces 1Kg/s O2) Mistake you should avoid with SPOM
  8. Additional SPOM (Produces 500g/s O2)
  9. Additional SPOM (Produces 800+g/s O2)
  10. Additional SPOM (Produces 800+g/s O2) Produces additional Hydrogen due to gas deletion so excess power.
Spoiler

For hatch farming a little automation and 2 incubators might be better, stone hatch egg drops can be inconsistent. The Pacu, Puff, Morb and glossy farming are from other threads and I have not personally used them.

1. Exo Suits This is unfortunately spread out thought the video, apologies. Additional info on exo suits, even more additional info
  2. How to do Decor more How to decor 2
  3. Snazzy suits and why you want them
  4. Put a liquid lock on your oil biome
Spoiler

Changes to liquids mean the harder rock types can support 50+ tiles of liquid now. Atmo suits power draw is dependent on how long they are worn so they can draw power for up to roughly 10 seconds. Oil biomes contain a minimum of 1,400 tons of crude oil. Window tiles are transparent not opaque.

• Oil and Industrial brick and After you get a petroleum boiler up and running
  • The above video covers how to harness crude oil, ceramics, metal refinement, steel, plastic, glass and power generation. They are all integrated into one build as they are all heat generating buildings involved. The solution is to group them all and build in a cooling solution. This unfortunately make this difficult to separate them into different tutorials. All the below are from separate video's.
  1. Don't let water touch your glass forge
  2. How to get lots of mid game lime
  3. Why ice box power generators should be made of steel
Spoiler

Don't let your glass maker sit in water or the molten glass will break your liquid pipes no matter what you do. The hydrogen gas for the industrial brick is not necessary, it will get destroyed by a gas deletion bug so don't bother putting it in.

Spoiler

No issues or modification with this design, ran perfectly for over a thousand cycles without incident.

1. Gas and liquid pipes how to manage flow
  2. How to get some extra cool clean water in the early mid game
  3. How to recycle germ polluted water
  4. Infinite storage warehouse
Spoiler

Window tiles are transparent not opaque. Plastic ladders can now be placed over regular ladders.

1. How to get to infinitely sustainable power, food and water.
Spoiler

As far as I am aware nothing in this is incorrect.

1. Why you want to boil petroleum
  2. A bulky but efficient petroleum boiler Would only recommend if you don't have access to a magma volcano. Minor modification, second modification
  3. How to fill a magma tank with geo thermal magma.
  4. Magma Volcano powered petroleum boiler Very useful and preferred method of boiling petroleum
  5. How to tap an oil well also see minor modification
  6. Detailed Counter flow heat exchange thread an awful lot of research on the most efficient way to exchange heat quickly
Spoiler

Volcano powered petroleum boiler -> do not leave ladder tiles in the dropper the affect tiles forming and can gum up the system. This is in reference to the three tiles where the dropped magma will sit.

1. Steam turbine heat deletion* The QOL Mk3 is going to make the current steam turbine design require a redesign.
Spoiler

QOL MK3 is going to introduce a new steam turbine that will make the design more compact and energy efficient.

1. What to build the different electrical wire out of
  2. How to build a power spine for your base
  3. Slickster farming
Spoiler

Nothing to correct.

1. Not to happy with this design it works but feels to complicated. The new steam turbine in QOL Mk3 will render it obsolete.
Spoiler

Metal volcano tamer, looking forward to this becoming obsolete it feels to bulky.

1. Space telescopes
  2. Space scanner tutorial*
  3. Regolith management
  4. Solar power
  5. Battery packs, how to store large amounts of power Also see Wheezewort cooling why you want at least 2.2 Kg of hydrogen
Spoiler

Space scanners "cone" do not interfere with each other so you could fit 3 space scanners in the area where I only put 2.

1. Steam rockets
  2. Petroleum rockets
  3. Rocket exhausts and how to deal with them
  4. How tall should your rocket silo be
  5. Simple Oxolite setup
  6. Liquid Oxygen and hydrogen production*
  1. Planets tutorial and preferred targets
  2. Neural vacillator recharges*
  3. Insulation is expensive (Save your reed fiber)
  4. Naked space scanner, why you need one
  5. Hydrogen rockets emit steam Has the potential to be harvested, anyone got a functional design?
Spoiler

Mistake Thermium to Niobium can be done via metal refinery. The liquid oxygen and hydrogen build should now be even easier with the new steam turbine, but will require modification. Neural vacillator recharge occurrences are determined on map spawn, you cannot increase how many you get. The bunker door and refuling issues has been fixed

1. Automated regolith farming for voles*
  2. Vole kill chamber
Spoiler

There are several ways of doing this, the new shipping rails dropper should make this easier, this needs a new tutorial.

1. Transport tubes
  2. Wheezewort cooling why you want at least 2.2 Kg of hydrogen

That's almost everything I got in my bookmarks and video's in there. All that linking was spread out across two days, I have just finished watched a lot of video on double speed, I'm sick of the sound of my own voice :D

Does anyone have any other tutorials I should add? There are several good SPOM designs out there anyone got links to any good video tutorials on them? A few options for people would be nice. A good sour gas boiler? Any links or general stuff you found really helpful for your learning of the game?

Man, there is more knowledge on that index than I could absorb through out the whole college. :D

Thanks for the hard work. Btw, your channel is a blast. Time to pick an avatar and help out the algorithm god. The content is there!!

I've watched 6 videos so far and there's just so much information to absorb. I feel like I'm going to be studying this for weeks before I can finally commit it all to memory. At least by the time I'm done, I'll have earned by PhD in ONI! lol

It's takes a PhD to keep the little buggers from killing themselves :)

We are still missing a lot of bits, Pacu, morb, drecko and puff ranching. Also several of the tutorials could be improved upon. Anyone got links? Does not have to be a video just detailed enough that regular players could duplicate it. I'v seen some great posts on the forums and I'm sure some of you could be convinced to put together a little video :D It's easier than ever to do it.

This is a good metal farming volcano design from @Neotuck  I think he has an updated version, but I don't have a link to share for that.  It's simpler than the one that you posted.

Here's some links for you to include

Fish 

Puft

Morb

Drecko

Septic system

Amazon warehouse

Your space scanner tutorial assumes that scanner cones can't overlap, but they can. You can put a scanner between your two scanners and make a three scanner system in the same space.

Or, you could reduce the width of the scanner system that you have by 1/4 (two bunker doors).

I need to look at your QOL3 preview tutorial but the new steam turbine makes important work that you've done obsolete. I think your tutorials are very good and if you can update that stuff it would be helpful to me and presumably a lot of other people.

• Petroleum boilers.
  • Oxygen/hydrogen condensers.

@Craigjw Added the links to the tutorial list, did not test any of them myself but hopeful the door changes don't cause any of them any problems.

@brucemo The spoilers sections contains updates to the sections above it, have added the missing scanner info there. All the petroleum boiler designs should be fine nothing was changed that should affect them. The Oxygen/hydrogen condensers are going to need a redo and so is anything that deals with heat. On the bright side the new heat destruction designs should all be easier with the new turbine.

4 hours ago, JohnFrancis said:

Have never implement sleet wheat outside debug, the cost, effort and maintenance compared to BBQ just makes it unattractive to me.

some people can say the same thing about BBQ's debuff

I find that the key to a sustainable pepper bread farm is to build a large dirt farm first (Bristle Berries in PO2 + Compost Piles)

given that I usually build a stuffed berry farm first I have plenty of bristle seeds to make a dirt farm when I'm ready to upgrade to pepper bread

Is there any news on if some of the builds involving door mechanics have been impacted by the change when it comes to heat transfer? Specifically the cold "injectors" mentioned in one of the heat videos?

5 hours ago, Duplo52 said:

Is there any news on if some of the builds involving door mechanics have been impacted by the change when it comes to heat transfer?

I'v been a bit busy so I must have missed the heat transfer change, do you have a link to the change? Last I checked temp injection using a door was working. Just set one up on a gold volcano and a cooler for my main base water tank.

17 hours ago, JohnFrancis said:

do you have a link to the change?

I searched through the game patch notes and I was referring to when they added the doors back art. I wasn't sure if the art having "mass" while door was open would function as if the door was closed still and break anything that involves temperature related transfer. Im currently using a wolframite door in an injector b/c I'm not at steel yet.

• Doors have new back frames to visually convey that they block space and that Dupes can walk on the edges of doors

image.png.94337ea53e31c780817d3bd7dbb6e2f9.png

@Duplo52 Ahhh that was to do with gas escaping in a vacuum. It used to be when a door was open in the space area the backing of the door did not exist and gas could escape via the backing. To stop this happening you could put drywall behind them and this stopped gas escaping into the space vacuum. As a side effect you could put drywall behind a door to increase mass for thermal transfer. The devs patched out putting drywall behind doors, mesh and airflow tiles. Then after that messed up a bunch of space vacuum builds the devs stopped gas from escaping through the background of doors, mesh and airflow without the need for any backing at all. This all happened in about the space of a few weeks.

So to answer the original question, thermal injectors involving doors are unaffected by this. For a very brief period you could use backing to make them theoretically a bit better but I never actually got around to testing it before it was patched out again.

Hey @JohnFrancis I follow your current playthrough (and REALLY enjoy it!..), and in one of the last episodes you tried to troubleshoot your oil volcano boiler - and it looks like you managed to do that in the end. The one thing I scarcely remember is that you mentioned that top door that actually lets magma IN condensing / mining chamber - it needs to be set to open for just 10 seconds to avoid 3rd tile of condensed magma and all following troubles.

If that's the case - could you please update the tutorial for boiler setup? I do enjoy "build & forget" designs ALOT, especially something in hostile environments like oil biome & space. Thanks in advance, and keep up your great work!.. :)

@Fury FairyYeah the oil boiler caused me a few issues, but the cause turned out not to be the door timing it was the ladder tiles I left in the magma dropper. I need to do some through testing but normally magma will form debris if it's below 1400 or so KG. However if it has a ladder behind it then it appears it can form a tile with as little as 19kg. (testing required) The dropper is not perfect so normally 20-60 kgs of extra magma sneaks through but it just turns into debris and falls out of the system. With the ladder segment in there the 20-60 kg actually formed a tile leaving me 3 tiles of rock instead of two. The miner was designed to deal with only 2 tiles so the whole thing started jamming up.

Removed the ladder segement and the whole thing is working a treat for hundreds of cycles with no maintenance.

2 hours ago, JohnFrancis said:

Removed the ladder segement and the whole thing is working a treat for hundreds of cycles with no maintenance.

@JohnFrancis So to make it absolutely simple and straightforward: in this video of yours (which is a part of original list at the very top of this thread) https://youtu.be/YWQcaus9if4?t=1645 there are SEVERAL designs, and some of them DO include ladder tiles - which may cause problems you described above. That's why it would be great if you either update the video OR at least add some comments next to the link to it indicating that some designs are troublesome and should be avoided. The reason is quite simple: my bet that the majority of readers don't bother scroll through comments even here :) and may end up using "wrong" design. Not the end of the world, but your channel deserves waaaaaay more subscribers, and at THIS stage they mostly will come from "spread the good word" way. Hope that makes sense.

And to the point - please confirm the ladder in question that should be removed is THIS one:

Q9ZlTWav.png

Thanks!

Ever section of the links above has a spoilers section after it and I try and stick in the build notes for potential issues. I have plans to do an errata video when I finally finsish this lets play and cover all the kinks in some of the designs, the boiler, 1kg/s O2 supply, fish replicator etc. Then i will put a time stamped link in the description of the related video's to point to the correct section of the errata video. I did the same thing in my tutorial video's.

@Fury Fairy That is the correct tile you are pointing at, I also removed the ladder segment just below it to be safe.

Archived