New puft farm design

Thank you @Craigjw for the idea

using my algae farm design to drop bottles of PW into a puft ranch and create a loop for self sustainability 

This design is just a prototype for proof-of-concept but from what I can tell I'm producing more PO2 than the pufts need so it is possible to ether reduce the amount of terrariums or attach more puft farms with airflow tiles

I wonder if it's possible using this design to balance the puft to terrarium ratio so we get a net positive on algae and dirt?  And of course plenty of O2

The only thing needed to keep this running is extra water and regolith

20181117213812_1.thumb.jpg.181e08cf27f5e97708f88e165422f5c8.jpg20181117213819_1.thumb.jpg.1a0d07b99981004bbe3cd109240ccdfd.jpg

Doubles up nicely as an O2 factory.

A couple of deoderizers in the puft area would allow dense pufts to survive also. 

I'm curious as to whether it's going to be dirt or algae positive, what about water positive also, as you get water from the algae distiller, which I see that you are pumping directly to the seive.

1 minute ago, Craigjw said:

I'm curious as to whether it's going to be dirt or algae positive, what about water positive also, as you get water from the algae distiller, which I see that you are pumping directly to the seive.

I don't know for sure, seems I'm producing more PW bottles than necessary

my next idea is to add a pressure plate on the far side of the stable were dupes won't walk, this will alow me to turn off the algae terrariums when I have enough PW bottles on the floor

so if we add the downtime of algae and water not being used on the terrariums then maybe we can net positive?

Time for some MATH!!!

Ok here is what I know, a puft needs 30Kg PO2 per cycle and will excrete half that

That's 5g/s 50g/s PO2 consumed and 2.5g/s 25g/s slime excreted per puft, average

A distiller will turn that into 0.8g/s 8g/s algae and 1.6g/s 16g/s PW

Now for a terrarium it uses 30g/s algae and 300g/s water to make 290g/s PW in bottles

If we automate a downtime to make full use of the PW bottles then that's 290g/s PO2 produced average

290g/s can support 58 pufts! 5.8 pufts

That's 145g/s slime that will become 48.3g/s algae and 96.6g/s water that we got from one terrarium 

So according to my math we net positive on algae but not water

19 hours ago, Neotuck said:

Ok here is what I know, a puft needs 30Kg PO2 per cycle and will excrete half that

That's 5g/s PO2 consumed and 2.5g/s slime excreted per puft, average

A distiller will turn that into 0.8g/s algae and 1.6g/s PW

Now for a terrarium it uses 30g/s algae and 300g/s water to make 290g/s PW in bottles

If we automate a downtime to make full use of the PW bottles then that's 290g/s PO2 produced average

290g/s can support 58 pufts!

That's 145g/s slime that will become 48.3g/s algae and 96.6g/s water that we got from one terrarium 

Have you thought about factoring in the extra water you get from toilets?

If you start to add in the rest of the base it would be attached to.

Still need to be bringing in sand externally as well for the water siev.

2 minutes ago, ChickenMadness said:

Have you thought about factoring in the extra water you get from toilets?

If you start to add in the rest of the base it would be attached to.

every dupe creates 6.7kg PW per cycle

that's about 11g/s average

Just now, ChickenMadness said:

Not if you build it as a seperate farm. The only purpose of it would be to take out excess slime and sending it to the algae distiller. No slime lung then.

you do know slimelung transfers to the algae when it distills right?

19 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

It does, it won't multiply in it but when the PW off gases it will transfer into the PO2 and multiply 

Well depending on how complicated you want to go with it. 

If you're building it in late game as a fully self sustaining base project. You could keep the entire operation in an atmosuit area. And all excess oxygen produced would be sent to a cold room. 1 wheezewort is enough to keep the room at -40C. It would kill off the slimelung quite fast and give you cold oxygen to cool your base down with, or pre-cooled for turning into LOX

Would only need 3 adjacent chambers with some airlock doors seperating them. First chamber would be high pressure 20kg full of slimelung O2. First door opens to move the oxygen into the second chamber once air pressure reaches 20kg in the first chamber. only requires 25W for the germ sensor + 240W for the air pump extra power to add on top of the farm.

Then the 2nd door leading to the third chamber opens once a germ detector senses there is no slimelung left. Third chamber is just a failsafe measure before letting the oxygen into your base.

Just an idea lol.

11 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

that depends on the rate of O2 you pipe in

You'd be letting it sit there for some time though. I've been testing different room shapes for wheezeworts, I found multiple wheezeworts don't make a difference when you build the room in this shape. I was testing 6 wheezeworts in a chimney shape in the same room vs one with this circular pattern.

I've been using this kind of shape room to precool oxygen and hydrogen when making LOX and it works very fast. The air circulates in this direction because of the vacuum tile that the wheezewort makes on it's lower half. 

Just need a few of these rooms side by side with some automation depending on how much oxygen you're producing. (ignore the second wheezewort)
5bf1f37632ff3_wheezewortcirculation.thumb.png.fb3e628063a0db184cf64c02deffcd4c.png

I'll probably try making my own version later and test that stuff. The Pufts are my favourite critters to ranch

20 hours ago, Neotuck said:

Hmm.  

That is interesting.   It seems you are getting more oxygen out of that water than you would with an electrolyser at least.   And some meat/egg shells besides.   Trying to manage 58 pufts is a bit wild of course, lol.   And that's just one terrarium. 

You could also technically choose to not compost the p dirt that the sieve makes, which would produce more PO2 for the pufts.

1 minute ago, Iriswaters said:

Trying to manage 58 pufts is a bit wild of course, lol.   And that's just one terrarium. 

that's just a potential figure, you can ranch less pufts all that would do is increase the downtime for the terrariums

2 minutes ago, Iriswaters said:

You could also technically choose to not compost the p dirt that the sieve makes, which would produce more PO2 for the pufts.

Not worth it, Pdirt emits PO2 very very slowly compared to PW or slime

best to compost it

1 minute ago, Neotuck said:

that's just a potential figure, you can ranch less pufts all that would do is increase the downtime for the terrariums

Yeah, I was just laughing a the number.   58 pufts to power one terrarium is a lot, lol.   It just puts into perspective that it's really not scalable as an O2 source.   The fact that it's more efficient in terms of water to O2 doesn't mean it really raises the hard ceiling on number-of-dupes much.  Unless you are really good at managing ridiculously large ranches.   You need about 10 pufts per dupe to make it go.  And of course plenty of water.

Still and all though, it produces a good crop of meat/eggs for basically nothing.

7 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

Not worth it, Pdirt emits PO2 very very slowly compared to PW or slime

best to compost it

Ah, gotcha.

1 minute ago, Neotuck said:

they do

need to keep them happy and groomed to produce the max slime out of them

Oh, those numbers were for when they were -groomed-?   I know that makes them produce a lot, but I was assuming you were leaving them ungroomed.   I was asking about ungroomed but uncrowded vs ungroomed and crowded.

21 hours ago, Neotuck said:

Sorry if this ***** up your maths a little but...

30,000g / 600 = 50g/s

Unless i'm being dense, I think you may have made a little error.

You can support 5 pufts, and one very badly beaten whoopie cushion.

2 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Sorry if this ***** up your maths a little but...

30,000g / 600 = 50g/s

Unless i'm being dense, I think you may have made a little error.

You can support 5 pufts, and one very badly beaten whoopie cushion.

Thank you @Lifegrow I was worried I made a mistake as 58 seemed like too much

however the math still balances out as we still get a positive algae or slime

290g/s supports 5.8 pufts for 145g/s slime

7 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

Thank you @Lifegrow I was worried I made a mistake as 58 seemed like too much

however the math still balances out as we still get a positive algae or slime

290g/s supports 5.8 pufts for 145g/s slime

Hey no worries, I honestly wasn't sure what your goal is with the build, but thought it makes sense to check your math before things get confusing later.

What are you trying to achieve ?

Archived