Early to Late Game Glossy Ranching + Tutorial

This post is in response to a message from @JackOverkill who wanted to see my glossy drecko stables

I wanted to share my early game design I use often because I have been told by other players that early glossy farming was impractical therefor getting plastic for early to mid game germ sensors was also impractical 

While in no way am I criticizing the play style of other players in this forum, I'm just sharing how I can ranch glossies early enough to set up my simple septic systems for bathroom loops that is 100% germ free.

EARLY GAME GLOSSY FARM

20190422162928_1.thumb.jpg.ae6d67ca4e752762d1250533dc3c2186.jpg

In the picture above I have a simple room that's 16X6 for a 96 tile stable.  The door on the left is low down enough to prevent any hydrogen from escaping and the rest is exposed to my main base allowing dupes and the mealwood to breath 

Easy to set up and you can pump H2 from below or set up an electrolyzer underneath

Note that 4 dreckos is recommended for this stable due to limited food.  And you don't really need many for early game as a single sheared glossy can supply enough plastic for 4 germ sensors or 4 high pressure vents

LATE GAME GLOSSY FARM

This is a repost from a few updates ago but it still works in QOL3

This maximizes the full 8 glossy limit while keeping the drecko's paths short for quick grooming/shearing.  The reason for the short paths is the drecko's can jump the one tile gaps on ether side of the grooming station or the shearing station.  This way the rancher can call the critters over quickly without spending half a cycle waiting for the critter to reach them.

The conveyor system removes eggs, plastic, phosphorite, meat, berries, and seeds

For best results use exo suits to prevent unwanted CO2 and loss of oxygen

6.thumb.png.b202cf96d08e51b2d31e6b85d76ed7ca.png

LATE GAME GLOSSY FARM TUTORIAL

Although I have been given plenty of complements about my design above, many players say it's too complicated to build outside of debug mode and asked how I build it in survival.

Here's a step by step tutorial with pictures to show how

STEP ONE:

20190308125455_1.thumb.jpg.ed3dcdf1eda85882815a8c74d27ea6ab.jpg

Build the structure like shown in the picture above.  Be sure to include piping and wiring as it will be difficult to build these later.  Once finished vacuum all air out with pumps and start filling the reservoir with hydrogen

Note: If you prefer to build this before having access to visco-gel you can substitute with water for the air lock

20190422160427_1.thumb.jpg.5d0ba10dccdd2ebb4a866c207d293ce0.jpg

STEP TWO:

20190308125646_1.thumb.jpg.f11cca48d2b6d756755fa0a8017409c9.jpg

Deconstruct the reservoir and replace it with a normal gas vent, Start pumping in oxygen until the vent becomes over pressurized then deconstruct the vent and pipes.

20190308130052_1.thumb.jpg.7296e0e70d50c732b74598983c940241.jpg

STEP THREE:

20190308130246_1.thumb.jpg.5a00bd08903bb85c56ce640154098b07.jpg

Start placing airflow tiles as shown above, once finished your room should be 96 tiles at this point

Note, the extra pneumatic door is because light can't pass though airflow tiles

STEP FOUR:

20190308131302_1.thumb.jpg.3836731edb9d9f049259f451ee1a6d0a.jpg

Build the rest of the stable including sweeper arms, conveyor loaders, grooming station, critter drop-off, and shearing station.

At this point you are pretty much done, just plant some bristle berries and breed some glossy dreckos until you have 8.

You can include a critter sensor if you want to automate the glossy breeding

1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

EARLY GAME GLOSSY FARM

Very cool, LOVE your step by step guide.  In the early game, I actually do the opposite with the doors and place them two tiles up to keep the carbon dioxide in the bottom of the stable.  

Just now, Denisetwin said:

Very cool, LOVE your step by step guide.  In the early game, I actually do the opposite with the doors and place them two tiles up to keep the carbon dioxide in the bottom of the stable.  

being that it's early game and before exo suits I need to have oxygen in the room for the rancher to breath

I would like to point out it takes some time for the oxygen and hydrogen to equalize and balance out so expect some random bristle or two to get stifled in the first 10 to 20 cycles after completion

This shouldn't be a problem as it take time to breed a full 8 dreckos

If you feel you need more oxygen just build, fill, and deconstruct pipes to add extra

Archived