Morb : everything you need to know about it

100px-Morb.png.72f9460a63668691ec9fa39776429202.pngMorb

Where can I find it?

You can have some morbs at the starts of your game in the caustics biomes. It also appears from the outhouse if it out of order during 1,5 cycle (900 sec) and if there's no other morb in the room that appeared from this outhouse.

morb1.png.23226b97920c136dc3f881c80c257daa.png

Tip : if you relocate the morb that appeared from the outhouse in another place, and keep it out of order, another morb will come.

Morb didn't appear anymore from dead Duplicant.

Can we tame Morb?

No, you can't tame it and it doesn't need to be feed. Morb doesn't consume any ressource.

However, you can delocate it with those items :

morb2.png.c133b8721f77f3d59295bf0da7fc206b.png

What is it use for?

Morb is really usefull combine with Puft given it produce around 6-7 Kg / cycle of Polluted Oxygen, noted it production rate is really random each cycle and depend of many factors (see below). If you associate 5 Morbs with 1 Puft, you will obtain 30Kg PO2 / cycle so 15Kg Slime / cycle for free.

You can also use there's PO2 to produce O2 by filtrate it.

Examples :

I open the doors manually every 2 cyles to reload the restrooms with the atmo sensor.

morbst.png.331213fe7ac77fdf2c281c6c707a49ca.png

Full automated (advanced clock)

Author : Vim Razz

69F13Gp.jpg?2

See his post :

Study : production rate according to the walking distance

Conditions are required to make morb emit PO2 :

1. PO2's Atmospheric pression around the morb don't be egal or above 1000g. The pression of other gaz doesn't matter.

g1.png.1b7eefcef93cc18977b1f0d4f0899f4f.png

2. Morb doesn't be in polluted water, it can tolerate less than 300Kg of water.

g2.png.8ebca2363516fa5b2533ca7aebaa7baa.png

Note that Morb can die if there's too much polluted water.

3. Morb don't be struck in a door.

g3.png.03432ae2b1c9232eef725a60e3b75a1a.png

4. Morb need at least 2 tiles to walk.

g4.png.f94f0cf590c6adbdf531b22da5944843.png

Now, here's the condition of the study :

Multiple vacuum rooms. Each contains one morb and a pump to never get overpressure. Rooms are from 1 tile to 8 tiles and a special with 15 tiles.

I've made many test during few hours : rate flow / cycle, first room to reach 20kg of PO2, rooms with multiple morbs. Room with 1000g of PO2, etc.

test.thumb.png.94333f5b3132ed2a5badc988c2bec98f.png

g5.thumb.png.61ccd84365bd1807957fe28a0ea33b27.png

Results :

g6.thumb.png.431e124c0254548e3c1ed6e17af308ac.png

Note that multiple morbs in the same room don't affect the production rate as far you respect the restrictions (listed under).

Tips

Morb don't fall anymore from an open horizontal door (any models)

g7.thumb.png.129772303eafdec603b46903ff82cf71.png

But if you use a vertical door, it will fall through it.

g8.png.b3a2361d6272a748fb65025d7b00c412.png

Morb can climb from door to door :

g9.thumb.png.1054b8a4dcab92e788a0c8119eb42a63.png

Credits for this tip :

French video :

33 minutes ago, R9MX4 said:

Can I add a link to your post in ONI Biology?

Your experiment about the rate of morb poop PO2 is interesting and helpful. Did you test whether the number of morbs affect the rate?

Sure you can, it will be a honor for me.

Good question, I forgot to talk about that in my post. From my observation, Morb don't be affect by the  overcrowed malus. As long as you respect those condition : PO2 < 1000 in the room, tiles > 2, no water, don't struck in door, you will have the same product rate regardless the number of morb. More you will have morbs, more you will have to pump fast to break the overpressure around the morb.

Note Morb produce PO2 in a vacuum room.

6 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

So if morb will fall down through a vertical door to another room then another morb will spawn from that outhouse?

No, but the outhouse can be reset by deconstructing a tile below it and rebuilding it. So you can make a stack of vertical outhouses with Pneumatic doors in front such that any morbs that form fall to the bottom into a morb chamber and then you just deconstruct and reconstruct a tile below the outhouse. Allows for quick(ish) and efficient morb farming.

12 hours ago, SamLogan said:

Tip : if you relocate the morb that appeared from the outhouse in another place, and keep it out of order, another morb will come.

I haven't built a morb farm for a couple versions now so i don't know if my info is out of date but I've only noticed another morb spawning from the same outhouse if the outhouse was 'reset' but either (re)loading the map or disabling and re-enabling the outhouse somehow. Moving them away did not cause more to spawn. Has the behavior changed? 

Just now, Pyrrus said:

I haven't built a morb farm for a couple versions now so i don't know if my info is out of date but I've only noticed another morb spawning from the same outhouse if the outhouse was 'reset' but either (re)loading the map or disabling and re-enabling the outhouse somehow. Moving them away did not cause more to spawn. Has the behavior changed? 

I tried in Mk1 and had one every 1.5 cycles without moving the original... so 

This is very useful. I'm not so certain on the "Cannot be in pH2O" part, as I use that as an integral part of keeping my puft hatchery happy. Note that this method isn't perfectly optimized for slime production, it's for producing eggs and other puft types.

There's 7-8 morbs in the pH2O pool below, and they produce pO2 normally.

bbbbbbb.thumb.png.d75bcd3f0e4502013051acc270ff4dd4.png

For the part about liquid, you just need to make sure it's a small amount, ex less than 300 kg.  The point is to ensure the Morb is never surrounded by P-O2.  Because ONI has a limit of 1 substance per tile, that 300 kg of liquid will be filling that tile, so the P-O2 will always be pushed up above it.  This ensures that every time the Morb attempts to produce P-O2, it will do so no matter what.

7 hours ago, Pyrrus said:

No, but the outhouse can be reset by deconstructing a tile below it and rebuilding it. So you can make a stack of vertical outhouses with Pneumatic doors in front such that any morbs that form fall to the bottom into a morb chamber and then you just deconstruct and reconstruct a tile below the outhouse. Allows for quick(ish) and efficient morb farming.

Does mechanic door that works as a floor for outhouse will work? so iа pressure automation will be placed in a room where morbs will fall and activate a door and then close it - will outhouse reset then?.

On 5/12/2018 at 12:00 AM, SamLogan said:

I'm not certain when it was changed, but I can confirm that this appears to be true in Ranching Mk II. I was able to produce 14 morbs (so far) from the displayed morb tower without re-loading the game or resetting the outhouses:

Ep8srBS.jpg

MORBS FOR DAYS.

Awesome, thanks @SamLogan

@QuQuasar how does that design work, if you're in a sharing mood?

Some information in my own findings. 

Resetting the game (save/load) will respawn a morb (and friends), so you can save farm reloading the morbs if you want as well for a quick fix. 

500kg of PH2O is too much for them to bubble out some PO2, and 1k is right out (they explode). 

Mixing some low pressure O2 into the chamber with your PO2 can help with keeping the morbs to spawn PO2 around town.  Found this out by accident... XD  I've been meaning to try a second attempt with CO2 or Chlorine (because I think it'd be hysterical to sanitize my Morbs) but haven't had a chance to try to do a pressure control setup.  Does anyone know if this works well?

23 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

@QuQuasar how does that design work, if you're in a sharing mood?

It's pretty simple. The outhouse spawns a morb. The morb produces polluted oxygen, which drifts left and right randomly until it either gets deodorized or reaches the gas sensor on the left, which is set to detect polluted oxygen. The gas sensor opens the doors below it, allowing the morb to drop to the next level and repeat the process.

I'm not sold on it, though. The gas element sensors use a small but annoying amount of power Just realised I can swap them out for germ sensors, which don't use power (though they do require plastic), and build airlocks instead of pneumatic doors.

Am now mostly sold. Just need to do something to prevent slimeling from escaping the morb pit...

Very very nice design.  Have you tried clock sensors to just open it for a moment a day?  And lock it with mechanical doors so you don't have to worry about the air inside?

Or does that reset the spawn timer perhaps?

On 12/05/2018 at 4:15 AM, TheExceed said:

Have you tested more than 5 morbs in a 7 tile space?

Yes, it works like only one morb as long as the PO2 isn't above 1000g.

19 hours ago, QuQuasar said:

I'm not certain when it was changed, but I can confirm that this appears to be true in Ranching Mk II. I was able to produce 14 morbs (so far) from the displayed morb tower without re-loading the game or resetting the outhouses:

Ep8srBS.jpg

MORBS FOR DAYS.

Nice set up.

I just tried this with germ sensors. Does not really work because both ramp-up with Morb present and cooldown afterwards takes very long. Also, setting the germ-level is tricky. Will try clock sensor next.

Update: Clock sensor dose not work either. No Morbs in 24 cycles. Apparently disabling the outhouse interrupts the Morb manifestation process.

Here is something zero-energy, zero material use that works. It opens the door when the Morb leaves the pressure plate. Set the buffer to 10 seconds or so, because the Morb takes a while to fall. Could be done with two mesh-doors as well:

morb3.jpg.15309c44be16993f61b976cb0af1bc1a.jpgmorb3b.jpg.3c3f1abe416b25615b63fc4e02ebdde8.jpg

On 5/15/2018 at 4:04 PM, Gurgel said:

Here is something zero-energy, zero material use that works. It opens the door when the Morb leaves the pressure plate. Set the buffer to 10 seconds or so, because the Morb takes a while to fall. Could be done with two mesh-doors as well:

morb3.jpg.15309c44be16993f61b976cb0af1bc1a.jpgmorb3b.jpg.3c3f1abe416b25615b63fc4e02ebdde8.jpg

Heh, I ended up having basically the same idea as you and implementing it before I saw you'd edited your post: 

dtuzWVi.jpg

On 12/05/2018 at 8:48 AM, PhailRaptor said:

For the part about liquid, you just need to make sure it's a small amount, ex less than 300 kg.  The point is to ensure the Morb is never surrounded by P-O2.  Because ONI has a limit of 1 substance per tile, that 300 kg of liquid will be filling that tile, so the P-O2 will always be pushed up above it.  This ensures that every time the Morb attempts to produce P-O2, it will do so no matter what.

Someone tried to put a little chlore to have the same phenomenon (continuous production of PO2) without the slimlug?

2 hours ago, Capitainefada said:

Someone tried to put a little chlore to have the same phenomenon (continuous production of PO2) without the slimlug?

The issue with that is that such a small value will, eventually the raw pressure of P-O2 push small values of another gas first together into a single tile, then eventually destroy it.  This cannot occur with liquids.

On 5/16/2018 at 11:42 AM, QuQuasar said:

Heh, I ended up having basically the same idea as you and implementing it before I saw you'd edited your post: 

Hey, no problem. And yours shows how to pack that logic in tight. You can do away with the Deodorizers though.

Archived