Septic System V3 (10kg/s 26C water and 400g/s dirt)

Two months ago I made a post about using resevoirs in chlorine to kill germs in water, I called it the "Septic System"

Note the V3 is meant for maps with infected polluted water geysers.  Scrool down to the bottom of the post to see a "simple septic system" design meant for disinfecting PW from bathrooms

Since them I have updated it to run more smoothly and use less power

Thanks to @suicide commando for giving me a tip about disabling reservoirs by opening horizontal doors underneath I was able to simplify, improve, and compact my design

The end result is germ free 10kg/s 26C water and 400g/s dirt

1.thumb.jpg.ad855430b8b8f829be82a07fcc555c5f.jpg2.thumb.jpg.327e3db947dde9b0f22f094f12487e51.jpg

First germy polluted water is pumped to two water sieves that can filter PW into water at 5kg/s each

Sweepers keep the sieves loaded with regolith and move any polluted dirt to compost piles

germy water then flows into one of the 3 reservoirs

3.thumb.png.833863e3c4939f57c0506e5a9f4a4e47.png

The reservoirs are automated by a timer circuit that rotates between the tanks every 200s

This way at any given time:

one tank is being filled with germy water

one tank is idle while the germs die

one tank empties the sterilized water

Also I have a safety valve to catch any germs that survive and loop them back to the tanks

4.thumb.png.3fa0a2f705a1dfe32a952ff4fda8d1f9.png

---------------------------- Simple Septic System-------------------------

For those who don't have infected polluted water geysers then you only need this simple setup for disinfecting germy PW from your bathrooms

20181106201331_1.thumb.jpg.72fba10a08247ec05c1c279eb57e4127.jpg

All you need is a germ sensor to open the door when germs pass though

The buffer gate keeps the door open for 140s ensuring all germs are dead before the tank empties

5be23b6e4c7b7_simple3b.thumb.png.1b49739ee6c67ddee95281fb8c8108c3.png5be23b7204841_simple3c.thumb.png.1f7bb29ebf412191a72d428461468d3c.png5be23b7584ea5_simple3d.thumb.png.6ea9e79dedbc5bd686ae022f79696323.png

15 minutes ago, Speadge said:

what about the polluted oxygen from the compost piles?

You mean from the polluted dirt lying around. Only the simple system has this (negligible) problem as the advanced system has high enough gas pressure to keep things from sublimating.

36 minutes ago, Speadge said:

what about the polluted oxygen from the compost piles?

That's what the Deodorizers are for on either side of the Compost Pile in the bathroom example.  In the industrial example, the Chlorine is of high enough pressure that the Polluted Dirt can't off-gas.  Per-tile mass greater than 1.8 kg will prevent off-gassing.

If only there were a way to cleanse my pool of polluted water that has been collecting germs from day 1 with any reasonable time-frame...

temp2.thumb.png.095570479674e8fee1eb83f96b504afd.png

I'm using your V2 of the septic purification system, and it works well enough. The only real reason I use it is for filling up HUGE decorative pools of water, and germy water is bleh.

I'll see if V3 can handle more than 10kg/s of throughput, maybe it'll speed up the process.

6 minutes ago, crypticorb said:

If only there were a way to cleanse my pool of polluted water that has been collecting germs from day 1 with any reasonable time-frame...

You could cool it down to about 0C with a couple of aquatuners. That should clear the germs.

Just now, Saturnus said:

You could cool it down to about 0C with a couple of aquatuners. That should clear the germs.

I was considering the opposite direction: sink all the heat from a LOX facility into it to bring it to near boiling. That should kill most germs, while deleting heat at the same time when sieved.

I don't yet have the means to delete heat on a massive scale with steam turbines, as I lack thermium, so this pool of polluted water is also my heat sink.

3 minutes ago, crypticorb said:

I was considering the opposite direction: sink all the heat from a LOX facility into it to bring it to near boiling. That should kill most germs, while deleting heat at the same time when sieved.

I don't yet have the means to delete heat on a massive scale with steam turbines, as I lack thermium, so this pool of polluted water is also my heat sink.

I was just about to correct myself because food poisoning actually survives down to -25C so cooling it down wouldn't have much effect. I could have sworn it used to be 5C-75C liveable range. My answer was based on that since the current temperature was closer to 0C than about 80C.

Anyway, just continue using it as a heat sink will work, or if you really want to get rid of the germs then just stick a few tepidizers in the tank and heat it all up to 80C'ish.

My map has 4 polluted water geysers (2 slush and 2 infected) I have only tapped 3 so far

Took me a while but here's my first V3 I built in survival

Had to alter the design a bit as I wanted my main dirt farm to be centralized near my fertilizer synthesizers and I have other sources besides this supplying them (my plan is to produce pepper bread for 27 dupes)

I had to calculate how long infected polluted dirt had to be on a conveyor rail in chlorine to kill germs and the room ended up bigger than expected

Going to start filling the tank with wild pacu, I have sweepers at the bottom for picking up egg shells and meat

20181108004434_1.thumb.jpg.784582b9d4e21e6c725eb5899e706a4d.jpg

4 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

My map has 4 polluted water geysers (2 slush and 2 infected) I have only tapped 3 so far

Took me a while but here's my first V3 I built in survival

Had to alter the design a bit as I wanted my main dirt farm to be centralized near my fertilizer synthesizers and I have other sources besides this supplying them (my plan is to produce pepper bread for 27 dupes)

I had to calculate how long infected polluted dirt had to be on a conveyor rail in chlorine to kill germs and the room ended up bigger than expected

Going to start filling the tank with wild pacu, I have sweepers at the bottom for picking up egg shells and meat

20181108004434_1.thumb.jpg.784582b9d4e21e6c725eb5899e706a4d.jpg

Couldn't you just have a sweeper offloading the polluted dirt into storages, have a timed delay, then load it into a separate outgoing shipping line? It would take a bit of power, but it would be waaaay more compact than rail disinfection.

1 minute ago, crypticorb said:

Couldn't you just have a sweeper offloading the polluted dirt into storages, have a timed delay, then load it into a separate outgoing shipping line? It would take a bit of power, but it would be waaaay more compact than rail disinfection.

I had thought of that but only way to ensure no germs escapes is by having 3 storage containers and rotating between them same way I do with the reservoirs

Only way to do that is to automate 3 sweepers each with a different loader in range, and that would take up more space than the rails.

but perhaps I'm over thinking it, if there's a better way I'm open to suggestions

37 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

I had thought of that but only way to ensure no germs escapes is by having 3 storage containers and rotating between them same way I do with the reservoirs

Only way to do that is to automate 3 sweepers each with a different loader in range, and that would take up more space than the rails.

but perhaps I'm over thinking it, if there's a better way I'm open to suggestions

I was thinking of using automation to enable/disable loaders based on clock timers.

Take the basic core of your 3-reservoir water disinfection, and change out the reservoirs for smart storages, and have the smart storage hold the material for a delay, then pass it through.

temp2.png.10b78dd33ec2b45c055891f377724556.png

Simple concept design, the slimelung infected slime comes in, gets put into the compactor which is limited to 1000kg (can be whatever, depending on how much material), and once full the compactor starts a 200s countdown (can also vary this time depending on speed of disinfection) until it enables the outbox.

Did you know that smart storages are 20,000kg now? I didn't, Klei must have ninja-patched them, because I could have sworn they were 10,000kg before.

9 minutes ago, crypticorb said:

Simple concept design, the slimelung infected slime comes in, gets put into the compactor which is limited to 1000kg (can be whatever, depending on how much material), and once full the compactor starts a 200s countdown (can also vary this time depending on speed of disinfection) until it enables the outbox.

Very nice, however once the loader becomes enabled won't the smart compactor turn it off again as soon as a small amount of slime is removed?  Might want to add a buffer to be sure all 20 tons is removed

Also what is stopping the sweeper from moving infected slime from the receptacle to the loader once the signal from the smart storage turns it on? 

Over all nice idea, wish I had thought of this before spending 3 hours building my large chlorine room, most of the time was spent trying to fill it with 1.8kg chlorine and I don't have a vent lol

10 minutes ago, crypticorb said:

Did you know that smart storages are 20,000kg now? I didn't, Klei must have ninja-patched them, because I could have sworn they were 10,000kg before.

I always thought they were the same as normal compactors so I never knew about the 10 ton limit

I built your idea in debug @crypticorb I added a few changes

The filter is set to 125s, that seems to be all the time it takes to kill slimelung

Buffer is set to a full 200s (could chain more buffers as sweepers can only move 80kg at a time and the smart compactor holds 20000kg)

When the loader turns on the door between the sweeper and receptacle is closed preventing the sweeper from grabbing any fresh germy slime

20181108025010_1.thumb.jpg.43d1c82c18f461071b7895d330a0b0a0.jpg

1 minute ago, g_BonE said:

@Neotuck that three-tile-high liquidlock always seems to fail for me after a few dupes passed through. what are the secrets of it? 

Are your dupes wearing exosuits?

If not then when dupes are out of breath they will run to the liquid lock to breath, when they do that that they will exhale in the liquid causing the CO2 to displace and break the lock

There are two styles to avoid this:

The left one is easy to make and even if dupes exhale the CO2 will flow though the air tiles (note dupes will still get soggy feet)

The on on the right is difficult to build without visco-gel as each packet of liquid needs to be 10g.  The gap forces dupes to jump so they won't be inside the lock while exhaling (Jumping also prevents soggy feet)

20181108110358_1.thumb.jpg.b02aea805732e4f61e376ba712245d70.jpg

sweet. thanks for letting me in on the secret of those. no, my dups were not wearing exo suits. i'll try your second design - have a slightly different version of Your design #1 without the airflow tiles in place around my current game in a few places (fridge, slime biome entrance, etc.)

3 minutes ago, g_BonE said:

sweet. thanks for letting me in on the secret of those. no, my dups were not wearing exo suits. i'll try your second design - have a slightly different version of Your design #1 without the airflow tiles in place around my current game in a few places (fridge, slime biome entrance, etc.)

most people do that, only reason I add the airflow tiles is because sometimes CO2 get stuck on the sides

that and I think it looks cool :D

I am quite confused about how germ sensors work. After the last packet of water has passed through the sensor, there should be no more germs. I have set my sensor to "Activate above 100 (for example)" but the sensor remains active even though there are no packets of water left with germs? 

37 minutes ago, mckzchi said:

I am quite confused about how germ sensors work. After the last packet of water has passed through the sensor, there should be no more germs. I have set my sensor to "Activate above 100 (for example)" but the sensor remains active even though there are no packets of water left with germs? 

That sounds more like a bug, mine is set to "activate above 0 germs" and it remains off until a packet of PW with germs passes though

1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

That sounds more like a bug, mine is set to "activate above 0 germs" and it remains off until a packet of PW with germs passes though

Hmm.. That would explain it :p I'll post it on the bug tracker first chance I get. Great build btw :)

@Neotuck I've been having difficulty getting your automation to function correctly. I connected it all up exactly as you show in the picture, and there are windows in the automation that allow two doors to be closed simultaneously, allowing for the one of the reservoirs to be in the filling stage as well as offloading at the same time. I rebuilt it from scratch three times to check my wiring, same result.

I feel like it has something to do with the lack of a third XOR gate, but rather than debug your setup I'm working on making my own iteration of the design.

Can you check over your automation and see if I'm correct, or just stupid?

Archived