Farming the Metal Volcanoes

This is a new design I came up with after my old design failed.  In order to avoid water turning to steam the water level were the molten metal falls needs to be 500kg.  Too little water and it heats up too fast and you risk steam in your vacuum.  Too much and the molten metal could cause the water to rise one tile up and the small amount of water on the second tile would risk boiling into steam and mess up your vacuum as well.

20180629103948_1.thumb.jpg.bc4d216c8e0d930efe4c05d8ccec6f11.jpg

Knowing this I have a hydro sensor activate a liquid shutoff when the pressure is bellow 500kg

The thermal sensor activates the pump when the temperature is over 20C

20180629102637_1.thumb.jpg.ab9b8d306af6d506bdb455b6e20e1769.jpg

Water is pumped to a single aqua tuner off screen and returns to the liquid shutoff

20180629102631_1.thumb.jpg.7f1293651e267a6302e2f1b7ff62229a.jpg

Both the sweeper and loader is kept cool by the fresh cold water, the rail snakes though the metal tiles under the volcano and is cooled quickly.  By the time it reaches the receptacle it's less than 40C

20180629102647_1.thumb.jpg.2a234c2aa668c4612dc0788252e62e80.jpg

Here's a thermal shot during an eruption

20180629102524_1.thumb.jpg.fe902e39f46238451c4ab5d0dd6d438a.jpg

Here's another thermal screenshot about 1/4 cycle after the eruption ended

20180629104334_1.thumb.jpg.f96380f7320802d91b234f04e0171d5b.jpg

As you can see from the contents of the compactor I got 418.1Kg gold from one eruption at 31.3C

222.thumb.png.7f84fdcb87c3b96ca79a86a0cbc58e53.png

I made this in debug but it's possible to make this in game if you adapt the guide I made in a previous post 

28 minutes ago, Sevio said:

Well if you've got enough cooling to tame a volcano like this, do you even need a vacuum in the volcano room?

Having a vacuum keeps the heat from reaching the auto-sweeper.

3 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

This is exactly what I told you earlier ;) 

Good work buddy

Thanks, had to divide the cooling water.

Before I was using the top layer of thin water to cool the sweeper

I was surprised I could keep the whole thing cool with a single aqua tuner

Ah it's very simple. It drops it on the volcano... which I forgot to delete from the bottom part. The heat from the volcano then melts the raw metal and all the molten metal flows into the cooling chamber.

Not tested it mind, my cooling fan's broke so anything that heats my laptop is a no-no, ONI unfortunately included (but not Fallout 3 O.o)

EDIT: Updated picture

Interesting @Yunru

I have an alternative idea

Using magma from a volcano or minor volcano to heat up tungsten metal tiles. 

Then have raw metal on a conveyor rail loop though the metal tiles till they are hot enough to melt

Molten metal will displace to the next available open space above where it melts so if there is insulated tiles above the hot metal tiles the moltan metal will appear above that so there is no wasted heat

Then use the same build as shown on this post to cool the metal and collect

I'll make another post tonight when I get back to my computer

4 hours ago, AzeTheGreat said:

Just to make sure I'm not missing something that would make my life an order of magnitude easier...that leftmost sweeper will overheat eventually and is just for testing, correct?

One on the bottom left that's yellow on the thermal screenshot?  Ya it's just for testing to keep an eye on the gold I was gathering and will overheat on it's own

In a real game just send the rail to wherever you want to store the gold

@Neotuck Thanks for the build update. I used your old guide at the end of my Ranching II game, seemed great. After your new post I went back and sure enough, steam was starting to build. Just a noob question, would your old build still work if you had used oil instead of water?

Archived