[Setup] Fish'o'matic station : a way to auto-breeding fishes

Hello,

Pacu are not so easy to ranch, mainly because they eat so much but that's not all, there are many other problems that I've solved with my fish'o'matic.

First important point : Pacu exists !

pacus.jpg.db52705eecd9929fd066eeffa92d586e.jpg

Yes ! Pacu exists and it have human teeth !!! :o

Fortunately, in Oxygen Not Included, we don't have dentist, so you don't will have to manage it dental caries. :)

How Pacu renews its species in the wild without eating?

pacu1.png.39a7f59331a6e355c2f839f03a25d104.png

In the natural pool, Pacu have the time to lay one egg before starve to death. That's why we maintain a stable population.

Note, if the Pacu lay a Gulp Fish and the water is too hot, it will die before lay one egg and the pool's population will disappear.

How ranch Pacu with the minimal algae cost?

Here's how to process :

Delocate a wild egg with a storage compactor in a pool with a feeder, uncheck it to lay in the egg in the water.

You will need 938 kg algae and 6,7 cycles to tame it.

From now, it's not necessary to give it 140 Kg / cycle because, Pacu can stay alive long enough to produce two eggs, if it only eat from a feeder no matter how much. Ok, I saw in the forum that few players estimate it's a glitch but remember will starve quicker to death so I'm not really ok with them.

feed2.thumb.png.dfb7229cecab14815f9001feff90626b.pngfeed1.thumb.png.3aad0741eae47d3571681dd9da5c906a.png

Notes : my setup will work even if this thing is fix, it's more an egg sorter and a low cost algae consummer.

Here's my setup : the fish'o'matic

Objectives :

- Have two pools : one to produces more eggs that the normal 1:1 ratio. One the have the global population which don't need food and only produce one egg to sustain the fish colony.

- In the first pool, my Pacu will produce two eggs : one I want to keep it for this pool, one for this other pool.

- In the second pool, I need to system to collect eggs and incubate them outside the pool.

- I need to automate the collecting of the egg shells and other stuffs.

- PacuFry need to be able to return by itselft in the pool.

pacu2.thumb.png.7979818a9f88b7122542d3384d380dad.png

Here's the sequence (sorry in French) :

Here's how I detect if I have one egg for my main pool : I carry the egg to a weigh plate that close the door of the conveyor loader when it arrive. I only one egg for the pool to renew the population.

pac3.thumb.png.c0be332946809e46d2cbae3d2a7db361.pngpacu4.png.2fbd5e9353ad8086fd1dc607632d3f3e.png

If I have one egg "store", I allow the other pool to recieve the other eggs as well I increase their population. For that, I close the first door, and open the other one.

pacu5.thumb.png.d2ed73e6d53352b11dd47ca7929dd892.pngpacu6.thumb.png.dd29f2c8fd567a5e5c542d2adebd24ca.png

Here's my second pool :

pool.thumb.png.486fe545a05f6588e9e367fb277d4c46.png

Egg shells fall in the pool at each night, and eggs return back on the door.

For the left side, I gather the egg shells when the egg is broken given the weigh is less than 4 Kg, it obtain a green signal.

egg.pngimage.png

My clocks :

set1.png

set2.png

Here's a video, sorry in French !

Egg shells picker :

pac3.png

signal.png

2 hours ago, SamLogan said:

Here's how I detect if I have one egg for my main pool : I carry the egg to a weigh plate that close the door of the conveyor loader when it arrive. I only one egg for the pool to renew the population.

This part is confusing, how egg got ON the pressure plate and on that door?

39 minutes ago, Scorpio King said:

This part is confusing, how egg got ON the pressure plate and on that door?

Weigh plate is on "Active if Above 4 Kg" so :

- If there's no egg, the weigh plate let open the door of the conveyor which leads to it.

- If there's an egg, the wigh plate signal become "red" and the door is closed as the other for the other pool become open.

Sorry it's in French. ^^

This setup is similar to the one I made. I thought about posting it, but I might as well post it here, to share ideas for automated pacu breeding tanks ! 

My attempts using a weight plate failed because it was built underwater and I discovered that pacus hatching inside an opened underwater mechanized airlock completely refuse to get out of it.  >:(

The mechanism for sorting the eggs in your setup seems more reliable than mine. Does the egg used to renew the population in the breeding tank hatch before the second egg is layed?  The population in one of your breeding tank could maintain itself around 4 pacus.

Quick note : you don't need 938 kg of algae to tame a pacu. It will lose wildness each time it eats from a feeder, no matter how much algae there was inside.

What my setup does is feeding a single pacu just enough algae to lay 4 eggs during its lifecycle. The first 3 eggs are shipped through a conveyor rail, and the fourth one is used to replace the older fish as it dies of old age. 

Breeding-tank-2.thumb.jpg.feea2e6938313985bc02cc91381d9867.jpgBreeding-tank-automation-2.thumb.jpg.cc3d14f83fe9ec4c7d65caae4219aeb0.jpgBreeding-tank-plumbing.thumb.jpg.c6d29e8e052e5064b10d7d2f4e96bd6c.jpg

How it works 

1 - First sweeper loads 1 kg of algae into the fish feeder, 3 times per cycle. Since the pacu eats regularly from the feeder, it will get the "Ate from the feeder" buff and will not die of starvation. Using this technique, a regularly fed pacu will lay the first three eggs between cycle 7 and 12-13, and the fourth one just before he dies, around cycle 23-24.

2 - Second sweeper loads the eggs into a smart storage set to 12 kg max. It also collect polluted dirt, egg shells & meat.

3 - Once the three first eggs are loaded into the smart storage, it will send an automation signal to do 3 things : 

3.1 - Activate the third sweeper which transfer the eggs onto a conveyor loader

3.2 - Activate a water clock (link below) on the right side of the tank. This water clock is set for about 20 cycles.

3.3 - Deactivate the second sweeper. 

4 - Second sweeper is reactivated 20 cycles later, after the pacu has died and the fourth egg is laid and hatched, thus beginning anew the cycle.

This setup needs very little power. However, to work seamlessly, it needs a constant available power source for the sweepers to deliver the algae regularly and be functional during the loading of the eggs into the conveyor and activation of the water clock.

Input

~75-78 kg algae (Because the pacus do not seem to die right away when reaching cycle 25)

Output

3 eggs, 1 kg meat, 2 kg egg shells & 25 kg polluted dirt (two times 12,5 kg around cycle 12 & cycle 18 I think)

Links for reference

Spoiler

Water clock

Help for pacu strategy

Just now, Scorpio King said:

So the trick for auto sweeper to drop things instead of inserting them is deactivate it while its holding something?

That's all i wanted to hear.

Yes, it's an old automation I get from the forum that turn ON/OFF the sweaper each 3 sec. :)

Your setup is obviously already pretty neat. However you could most likely scale the egg production even further by increasing the left water pool.

I noticed in my own game that after a certain size, pacus will have troubles finding the feeder. They will just hang around in different corners of the (large) pool and not move very far. Do you have any insights on optimal pool size/pacu count?

3 hours ago, Scorpio King said:

So the trick for auto sweeper to drop things instead of inserting them is deactivate it while its holding something?

That's all i wanted to hear.

I posted this in the other fish thread, so it might be handy to this specific example.

"The logic on the automation for that top arm to drop the egg for me was: Arm > Not Gate > Filter 2sec > Buffer 3sec > Arm.  I found without the filter, it would try to grab the egg as it fell down and occasionally manage to do so. So a shutoff of a longer time prevented that."

This is my version of fish automatic pond, thanks to Mariilyn (for economy of algae) and Whispershade (sweep automation, for me is filter 2 sec and buffer 6 sec). And whit this occasion i used the free space between my aquarium and the dreckos labyrinth.

image.thumb.png.5fae994ee2ae392a9e47ffd5b5952e9b.png

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:29 AM, SamLogan said:

pacu2.thumb.png.7979818a9f88b7122542d3384d380dad.png

Couldn't you just also raise the arm a bit and the other storage container as well so that the egg that is on the pressure plate becomes out of reach.   This way its not daily lifting the egg and dropping it and opening and closing the doors.    (thus you can also get rid of the daily clock at the time as well)  Have it always on dropping only 1 egg.  If the egg is on the red plate it doesn't need to do anything.  The arm that remove the egg shell should also be out of reach egg storage box so it doesn't need to touch the egg.

Yes i see it later that in the previous built i was unable to remove the excess eggs and the meat and polluted dirt so i redesign it. Smart storage store 3 eggs, the door is closed and the 4 egg go to the weight plate. Then the third arm can move the 3 eggs to the egg cracker. And the cycle resume.

Activate a water clock (link below) on the right side of the tank. This water clock is set for about 20 cycles.

Mariilyn used a water clock whit minimum power usage. It can be done whit lots of filters (60 pcs) sets at 200 seconds and 0 power used.

image.thumb.png.7a2269a2b142e90d10bebfe880c2b4d6.png

image.thumb.png.be657e3ec3c75a1555487d7dfdbcbade.png

From what I'm observing, I think they produce 3-4 eggs in their life span.

Also- let's assume that they're only meant for 2 eggs per fish.  Wouldn't it make sense to have a small tank just enough where the one fish isn't over crowded/confined    And flood the tank to a lower tank with an automatic door dropping the fish and water.   And refill the tank for the new fish to drop in from the first egg you stored in the pressure plate.

So have a second pressure plate system that floods the tank via open automatic doors and kill the fish via mesh tile. The tank below pumps the water back to top tank.  Probably need 3 tanks. one to drop water to refill. and one to fill up slowly via the pump.

Just in theory talking out loud.  this reduces 2 fishes in the same tank eating the algae supply.

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 2:06 PM, Whispershade said:

I posted this in the other fish thread, so it might be handy to this specific example.

"The logic on the automation for that top arm to drop the egg for me was: Arm > Not Gate > Filter 2sec > Buffer 3sec > Arm.  I found without the filter, it would try to grab the egg as it fell down and occasionally manage to do so. So a shutoff of a longer time prevented that."

Do you have a screen shot showing this diagram.  Would love to see it.  I notice the catching in mid air as well.

39 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

Do you have a screen shot showing this diagram.  Would love to see it.  I notice the catching in mid air as well.

5b6ef9d7bc1d9_eggcatcherarm.thumb.png.3c18fab14d78678c0a912ed8360db409.png

Also, if tame by adulthood, fullyfed, a fish will produce over 10 eggs in its life time if kept from overcrowding or expecting. It has reproductive years from ~6 to 25 cycles. So 19ish cycles of 65% reproduction rate.

This is the fish factory I had built in my last/current colony. It is perhaps not as sophisticated as some posted here, but it might give you ideas.

1 hour ago, tzionut said:

Mariilyn used a water clock whit minimum power usage. It can be done whit lots of filters (60 pcs) sets at 200 seconds and 0 power used.

The pump in the water clock is active only for 200s, enough to fill up the pipes with water (12 tiles are needed for a 10g/s flow). Afterward it goes on with 0 power as the pipes are simply being emptied.

However, I prefer a solution with a pressure plate and doors like in the OP and your last stable design. The latter doesn't look quite functional yet (unless I misunderstood how the automation works) because you need to take into consideration that the 3 first eggs will hatch before the 4th one is laid.

1 hour ago, RonEmpire said:

Wouldn't it make sense to have a small tank just enough where the one fish isn't over crowded/confined    And flood the tank to a lower tank with an automatic door dropping the fish and water.   And refill the tank for the new fish to drop in from the first egg you stored in the pressure plate.

It would most probably work but with an extra cost in power. The author in one the links I referenced @Juicearific  posted a farm design with multiple tanks. This is his design if you want to see :

M5zPAo2.thumb.jpg.41c614d87a6e061528ff85415aff175a.jpg

And the link where more info about it can be found :

Spoiler

he latter doesn't look quite functional yet (unless I misunderstood how the automation works) because you need to take into consideration that the 3 first eggs will hatch before the 4th one is laid.

They are stored in the smart storage. When they are stored the development is inhibited so this is not a problem. The only problem is the number of eggs one pacu will make.

1 minute ago, tzionut said:

They are stored in the smart storage. When they are stored the development is inhibited so this is not a problem. The only problem is the number of eggs one pacu will make.

wait what now?  don't they incubate in storage and become raw eggs at the end of the incubation?

What do you mean inhibited?

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:30 AM, Mariilyn said:

Quick note : you don't need 938 kg of algae to tame a pacu. It will lose wildness each time it eats from a feeder, no matter how much algae there was inside.

How it works 

1 - First sweeper loads 1 kg of algae into the fish feeder, 3 times per cycle. Since the pacu eats regularly from the feeder, it will get the "Ate from the feeder" buff and will not die of starvation. Using this technique, a regularly fed pacu will lay the first three eggs between cycle 7 and 12-13, and the fourth one just before he dies, around cycle 23-24.

What is that clock set to  1% ?  active duration   ?

On 8/11/2018 at 4:46 PM, RonEmpire said:

What is that clock set to  1% ?  active duration   ?

100% ... Actually, the clock / AND Gate parts are unnecessary and should have been removed. It was only a mean to deactivate the sweeper at will.

So in practice it's exactly the same automation as Whispershade's auto-dropper except the buffer gate is set at 5s and the filter at 195s 200s, the maximum possible, resulting in the sweeper activating ~3 times per cycle to deliver algae to the feeder.

4 hours ago, Mariilyn said:

100% ... Actually, the clock / AND Gate parts are unnecessary and should have been removed. It was only a mean to deactivate the sweeper at will.

So in practice it's exactly the same automation as Whispershade's auto-dropper except the buffer gate is set at 5s and the filter at 195s, resulting in the sweeper activating 3 times per cycle to deliver algae to the feeder.

I get it now.  I see the clock and and gate just there for  deactivation only.

For some reason at 5s  it sometimes drop the ball and don't actually fill the feeder.    Maybe because I'm testing it out on triple speed.  Might need to bump it up to 6s on the buffer gate.

The 3 feeding a day mechanics that you have works a lot better than   the  clock doing it only once  a day.   You end up wasting more algae all at once during a short time in the cycle.       spreading it out to be exactly 3 times  a day seems to be working out better.  except for when it misses once in a while.

I'm definitely seeing 4 being produced rather than 3. for less algae.

I'm working on a different system mechanics for tracking 4 eggs using weight pressure instead of loading 4 into a storage bin. 

After tamed the pacus i find a problem. Until the pacu lay the 4- th egg the fist is spoiled and i lose the egg shell, so i modify the automation whit a memory toggle. When the smart storage is full (12 Kg) it send a signal to the memory toggle and close the first door and open the second. The second sweep arm send the eggs to the egg cracker, and when the last egg go to the pressure plate, the reset signal switch the doors to resume the cycle. 

The last 2 problems are:

1 the 5-th egg hatches before the original pacu dies, so the old pacu eat the algae from the feeder before the young pacu does.

2 the egg shell from the 5-th egg stay on the pressure plate, so i make a door to be sweep by a dupe.

image.thumb.png.51496a03b569c58cd124a3f6b9b723ce.png

The newest problem i find is that after emptying the smart storage the arm sweeper send the egg to the smart storage even if is blocked by doors so i delete the 2 doors in front of the smart storage and the conveyor loader, and connect the output of the memory toggle to the conveyor loader. I change the priorities to be sure that after activation of the conveyor loader, the egg will be send to the conveyor.

Under you have the newest design.

I didn't find yet a solution for dealing whit the 5-th egg hatches before the original pacu dies, so the old pacu eat the algae from the feeder before the young pacu does.

image.thumb.png.2330ab397739e5d4ea8c8dac6bfe4887.png

image.thumb.png.82a684e4e360cf757cf260e32222b542.png

image.thumb.png.cb8d1a84ed063ab733f63a8471101eb8.png

20 hours ago, tzionut said:

I didn't find yet a solution for dealing whit the 5-th egg hatches before the original pacu dies, so the old pacu eat the algae from the feeder before the young pacu does.

It's not a big deal because it won't prevent the pacu from laying all it's eggs. But it's possible to control the quantity of algae going into the feeder in order for it to eat just enough to lay his last egg just before dying.

Pacus reach adulthood with 400 kcals, and, I realized, only need to eat a little bit more than 50 kg of algae (spread over 25 cycles and with "Ate from the feeder" buff) to lay four eggs. Each extra eggs after the fourth one cost an additional ~235 kg algae.

However, in a system where algae is delivered to the feeder exactly 2 times per cycle, the pacu might die before laying a fourth egg if even one meal have been missed. That's why I went with 3 times per cycle instead.

Archived