About sanity - survey

About sanity - survey  

88 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like Klei to change and/or add to sanity?

• An increase in nightmares for long periods of madness, to make it more difficult to survive crazy too many days in a row
    • New, more powerful nightmares that come after long periods of madness as a challenge for experienced players.
    • Impaired conditions that reduce the life of the character (chills, heart attacks, etc...)
    • Impaired conditions that give the character new needs (greater loss of hunger, need for sleep to recover sanity, etc...)
    • Impaired conditions that cause discomfort and can put you in danger in some situations (difficulty in constructing objects, an object have the possibility of escaping of hand, reduced view, etc...)
    • Other...
    • Sanity is perfect this way, it already expresses its full potential as a parameter, offers fun and a 360° challenge for the whole game.

Lately I have read many interesting ideas to improve sanity, perceiving the desire of many players (including myself) to see innovation on this parameter, so interesting but that seems to be able to give much, much more to the gameplay.
Infuse I believe that sanity is the real flagship of DS (despite the name), and so what would be more fresh and interesting in the new update, if not a change in the sanity?
I hope this poll can really give Klei some little nice ideas.

The effect of small sanity should be for each person to their own.
For a perfectly healthy Wolfgang, it can be an attack of many shadow creatures, and for Wickerbottom it can cause a heart attack, gradually reducing the maximum health to zero. The different effect of low sanity is an extra dimension for character balance.

33 minutes ago, 0rutyna0 said:

The effect of small sanity should be for each person to their own.
For a perfectly healthy Wolfgang, it can be an attack of many shadow creatures, and for Wickerbottom it can cause a heart attack, gradually reducing the maximum health to zero. The different effect of low sanity is an extra dimension for character balance.

It should act consistent for everyone for the sake of gameplay and learning.

It's already different for each char in a way - max sanity count.

I get really sick of the sanity mechanic. The shadow monsters are no threat to me, but I hate the miscellaneous sanity effects. In winter the "graying" sanity effect is blinding with the white snow. The game is very colorful so it is a shame that everything has to look gray while I am doing chores in Don't Starve. The sanity whispers get old really fast too. I turn off the ambience sound effects before it gives me a headache. Usually I love the ambience sounds in Don't Starve, so its a real shame for me.

i think it would be funny if when you are insane, you hear false sounds. like season bosses (you are insane and you dont know if its real). or stuff like mobs walking (spider, pig). or hearing false hound attack.

Sanity should affect each character's gameplay, as someone else had said. Why not tap into each character's dark side when he goes insane, giving him new strengths and new weaknesses. I wish the mechanic wasn't just nightmare fuel farming, but make it a way to explore the characters too. Maybe if willow goes insane she unlocks fire damage, but also suffers seasonal weather faster. 

It is very bland right now, but I really think it could change the whole game if they try new things with it

I like the idea of being eventually overwhelmed by shadow creatures, so much of the time in DST I can spend at least half a day insane without needing to fight a single shadow creature. Upgrading the shadows after you kill them, similar to the shadow chess pieces, would make insanity an actual threat instead of an annoyance, for me anyway.

3 hours ago, Ridley said:

I get really sick of the sanity mechanic. The shadow monsters are no threat to me, but I hate the miscellaneous sanity effects. In winter the "graying" sanity effect is blinding with the white snow. The game is very colorful so it is a shame that everything has to look gray while I am doing chores in Don't Starve. The sanity whispers get old really fast too. I turn off the ambience sound effects before it gives me a headache. Usually I love the ambience sounds in Don't Starve, so its a real shame for me.

the devs are already working on reworking insanity volume and other annoying sounds

I’ll go with seasonal variation

Fall, Insanity causes either birchnutters to appear instead of birchnut seeds or all trees around user appear in most barren state

Winter, Insanity causes snowmen to appear which will throw snowballs, they will function like water balloons decreasing temperature and increasing wetness

Spring and Summer I’m torn on, frogs falling sky seems insane enough, while Summer is too dull for me to bother playing.

since cave ins are a summer feature I guess cave spiders can drop from the ceiling underground ...

1 hour ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

since cave ins are a summer feature I guess cave spiders can drop from the ceiling underground ...

Would make sense since they live on the ceiling.
Also would be cool if they pop out of the cracked boulders when they're mined, if you're insane.

Shadow that spirals around the edge of the light radius. Each time it does a full circle, it shaves a bit off of the light item's durability.
Running circles in the opposite direction confuses the shadow, causing it to spiral outward instead of inward, and eventually fade back into the darkness like dispelled shadow hands.

Having torches' light radius get slightly smaller as their durability drops would help make this clearer. Lanterns already have this feature.

32 minutes ago, TaffyMatt said:

a friend of mine had an idea of the shadow hands being able to come for portable light sources

Why? How? It's exactly any form of portable light that makes them go away.

On 4/1/2019 at 8:02 PM, lifetheuniverse said:

Shadow that spirals around the edge of the light radius. Each time it does a full circle, it shaves a bit off of the light item's durability.
Running circles in the opposite direction confuses the shadow, causing it to spiral outward instead of inward, and eventually fade back into the darkness like dispelled shadow hands.

Having torches' light radius get slightly smaller as their durability drops would help make this clearer. Lanterns already have this feature.

I like this

That would be very anti-climatic though, however it could be valid for insanity to become a sort of near death sentence at a certain point, to make it something to be feared.

However i'm wondering how as Wigfrid I might stay sane in the ruins than, if insanity were so dangerous.  I could pack a lot of jerky, but it would need to be a ton of it, I couldn't really imagine doing it without a crazy amount of Green Caps as a non-Wigfrid character.  I may be missing something related to sanity though, as I am very new to ruins rushing and can't do it well (it's pretty much impossible with Wigfrid though)

Are there any valid ways to stay sane in the ruins without a ton of Green Caps/Jerky, guys?  I generally fight the shadow creatures but am clueless on what I would do if it became a sort of death sentence.

Archived