What you would like to see with the upcoming character changes?

Exactly what the title says. Just what you would like to see, no matter how farfetched. For example, here's an idea I had for Maxwell.

Scrap his dapperness, and replace it with a new item, his box of cigars. You can use this to get a cigar, which takes off 10% of the boxes durability. The cigar can be smoked, which regains sanity at a 15 per min rate, gives off a small light radius similar (maybe even smaller) to that of a thermal stone, and raises player heat by like, 1c. The box requires 3 charcoal, 5 grass, and 2 papyrus to craft, and is exclusive to Maxwell in the "dress" tab.

Honestly I’m terrible at thinking up of changes for the upcoming character but I do believe they need some changes for the better good. Especially winiona. Quite excited for that one surely. I do say just I hope the changes are related to the character and make sense why they have it.

An example of a special trait that is already in the game for wolfgang is the ability to get extra movement & damage base on his hunger. I find it amazing and matches his character. :)

I've been thinking about what changes Winona could get, yknow, before her perks were revealed. I tried to keep it grounded cause I didn't think Klei would do something as grand as give her 4 unique structures:
My old Winona ideas:

- keep all current perks (fast crafting, free hit in darkness, tape repairs clothes)

- tape can repair armor and tools (as a balance, no repairing magic, ancient, or items with a spoilage meter)

- tools lose/gain durability when crafted based on Winona's sanity level
- tools crafted by Winona (magic/ancient included) start at 120% durability if she's at full sanity
- tools are crafted at 100% durability on mid-level sanity
- tools are only 80% when insane

Basically what I was trying to go for was to include the old perk everyone wanted in the past, that being have the tape repair armor and tools, and expand upon it. I came up with the perk/debuff of tool durability based on sanity level. I thought it was pretty clever making the perk also a nerf, lol. Winona with this perk could in theory stack up on 120% ancient items to supply the rest of her team with, and tape to repair their lower-end gear. In my opinion it makes her a cool crafter character- a Handywoman.

It's pretty funny though, the "stat management" aspect I thought of for Winona's new perk and her sanity was applied in the official change with her hunger equating to if she crafts things fast or slow.

Kind of touched on this in another thread.

With Wes, I'd like to see him bring something to the team or lose his increased hunger drain. As is, Wes is hurting the team with his increased food consumption while bringing nothing to the table. Hard mode character is a cool idea, but with the team mentality in Together... he needs something to not make people annoyed you picked him. I'd also like to see Balloon schematics dropped if Wes kills a boss for unique large boss balloon. Like the statues but sillier as bragging rights for a Wes player.

With Webber, he may need to be able to bring cave spiders to the surface. Spiders are pretty fragile to be useful as an army. The Spitters and armor spiders  could allow Webber to amass more dangerous armies. Maybe have him not have the cave sanity drain as well since he has many friends down there.

As I perceive it - all this character re-balance thingy - in the light of "given the chance players will optimize the hell out of your game" there is a pretty narrow window between "overpowered" and "quite useless". Considering this, to me atm, Winona's new "abilities" seem to lean into the the latter one - "quite useless" and/or very contextual. Hope am mistaking but a small aria-dependent/fairly stationary spotlight akin to WX's overcharge one and a "turret system" like a heavily downgraded Houndius Shootius doing around 5-10 dmg per shot with 5s-or-more cool-down powered by gems/nitre seems more of a hassle to setup, and maintain when the quick-and-simple alternative of just.. smacking things with a bat is ready to hand - thus superfluous. Obviously depends of its specifics, how many Catapults can be powered by a Generator, what is the spacing of Generators, how large the hit-boxes of them all are, etc. Yet, looking at initial treatment of both Winona and reconfiguration of character-specific powers in DST context.. am skeptical to say the least. As always only time will tell. Again I hope we won't end up with "just nerfed Winona" mostly no-one will play, as it seems to already be prefigured from discussions with various people here on forums and in private as well.

As for what I actually want: only Klei to not be afraid to really make the characters shine in a fun way even though said re-balance can brush on the "overpowered" side. Cheers!

Here is what I believe the characters need:

-A selfish perk

-A team oriented perk

-A reason to stay in a party at any given time

Let me explain what I mean by that.

-A selfish perk: these are the perks that make the character feel unique, whether they can be team oriented or not, its that extra something that you do better than the others as that character. Examples: WX is an example of selfish perks character, wigfrids regeneration and resistance, maxwell summoning and sanity regen, Wolfgang mighty, etc.

-A team oriented perk: Something new or existent that could benefit the char itself but benefits the team above all. Current examples could be wickerbottoms books, wigfrids helmets, Wendy's sanity stations. I'd further extend this on some characters, as an example I'd add wigfrids battle cry from the forge, but id make it so it only affects non wigfrids, meaning that having a wigfrid fighting nearby would benefit the team overall dps, but not wigfrid herself. Wes is probably the best candidate to get a lot of team boosts but without getting benefits himself directly, so he remains true to his original weak self.

-A reason to stay: Having a wolfgang always around is useful, having a maxwell always around getting wood and living logs is also somewhat useful, or a wendy farming shadow monkeys and spiders is also decently benefitial. This game allows for any character to be eventually replaced by a special contraption so basically a wes can accomplish all efficiently, but it would be interesting if despite this, the new or rebalanced perks would remain relevant in the late game, and  having a reason to make you think twice before moving away from your character. An example of characters that remain relevant througout the game, and specially in the late game, are Wolfgang, WX and Wickerbottom (which is not a coincidence that they are considered better). And a bad example of this is Willow, since her lighters are not really useful to the team since you can do better with a lamp or a torch, and crafting a Bernie (which is useful) only takes someone to enter as willow once , make a bunch of bernies wherever you need them, and then never log in again since the team of any character composition can handle fixing them. This is what should be prevented.

Webber has two problems to me

1 his role is good yet it doesn't synergize with most other characters like when he joins a public game and they have pigs around if we make them more able to expand his possible synergies would be great and so they could pop into any random server and be unharmed like almost all others

2 spiders armies don't bring much to the late game would be good if he could breed special spiders that could help late game combat

I was thinking of a skills/ability tree for each character that you unlock as you survive and gain experience. This way there is a sort of an incentive for late-gameplay. E.g. Webber starts with his ability to ally with spiders, but as you survive more you can unlock the ability to ride a spider queen, transform spiders into spider warriors, etc. I guess this is far fetched, but oh well.

I also really want the sanity based character traits to be removed or changed all together. Sanity is a very bland mechanism, but it could be great if it has some game-play oriented effect on the character. So rather than completely removing sanity, why not have characters unlock specific skills/traits when they go insane. These traits can be beneficial, e.g if Willow goes insane she unlocks fire damage, or harmful, e.g. Willow gets hot quickly. This way there is a gameplay mechanism to sanity other than nightmare farming, making it interesting or even scary at times.

15 minutes ago, WanderingSoul said:

or harmful, e.g. Willow gets hot quickly. 

that actually happened with her insanity fires freezing...

she was kinda uh... freezing in autumn and it got a lot of backlash and got nerfed, she still has the cooling though...

All I want is for willow to be fireproof again, woodie's beaver form to have higher damage resistance and higher damage output and wilson's beard hair color and style to change along with the elegant skin that he's wearing. There's a mod that already does this to some of the elegant skins and it kicks ass:

snowberd.PNG

1 hour ago, Cass_ said:

All I want is for willow to be fireproof again, woodie's beaver form to have higher damage resistance and higher damage output and wilson's beard hair color and style to change along with the elegant skin that he's wearing. There's a mod that already does this to some of the elegant skins and it kicks ass:

snowberd.PNG

why can't they do this its so simple yet so perfect

5 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

-A selfish perk: ... maxwell summoning

Warning: The following is extremely nitpicky.

I wouldn't exactly consider this to be a selfish skill exclusively. It's kinda inbetween as it can be used either selfishly, or to benefit the entire team.

4 hours ago, Wilson_pl said:

I am just praying that they don't turn the game into some fantasy roleplay with mages and dragons.

Just keep it canon.

Not sure if sarcasm or not, but you do realize what is already in game, right?

Webber- Just want a Shamlet mask and let him build Spilagmite Dens. Shamlet mask doesn't need to let him tame pigs like in single player, just make it so he doesn't get whomped on every sunrise since everyone wanted to base at pig king again.

Please make Abigail and spiderfriends get along better.

Well, I'm not waiting for something about the characters precisely (because I have already some thoughts of what is coming soon), however:

21 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

As for what I actually want: only Klei to not be afraid to really make the characters shine in a fun way even though said re-balance can brush on the "overpowered" side. Cheers!

This.

I hope Klei takes the chance of this situation for fully apply his new ideas without "worry about upset somebody" (The human have tendecy to disagree and you can't please everyone, after all.), so we can experience at 100% the future projects.

Wilson: more advantages than just winter insulation. Personally, I see him as the "easy mode" character, and therefore I think he should have a resistance to any seasonal problem. So also resistance to rain and heat.

Willow: fire immunity, more fire-related benefits, unique objects based on fire. In short, playing Willow should push you to be a pyromaniac to have fun, do not avoid it at all costs.

Wendy: stronger, faster and more controllable Abigail. "She protects me" says the description, but Abigail is not physically able to do it for most of the game's creatures. And even against the giants should at least prove to be a good tank, and not die after two shots.

Wolfgang: it's perfect.

Wx: it must be completely reworked: the system of level increase is something that does not change the way to play in any way, but only a lazy increase in number of its characteristics. I recommend interchangeable modules to give them different "abilities" from time to time, like a machine that changes parts of the body as needed.

Wicker: it's perfect. (It is not she who is strong, others are weak)

Woodie: it must be completely reworked. It is not useful as a lumberjack (Maxwell is better and wood is not essential). The beaver form is uncontrollable and when it becomes a beaver it is weaker than a well-equipped player. It should be thought to make it desirable to become a beaver, not to avoid it.

Wigfrid: it's perfect.

Webber: it's almost perfect. He should be able to sleep in the spider nests as if it were a tent and ride the spider queens as an alternative to the buffalo. If you have to live with the spider, do it 100%

Wes: what to say... useless. It should have advantages that help the team. Personally I think he should be able to "mimic" objects without having to build them, at the cost of hunger or sanity.

Maxwell: it should be able to create many more types of puppet. Maybe even gregarious who light, fish, carry objects, cook food, in short ... the puppet master I expect him to do ALL his puppets, not two things.

Winona: if he could repair armor with the tape it would be perfect.

And nothing. So much in my server with the mod game with Wendy who has stronger Abigail and to which I can say if attack, follow me or return to the flower. And she's perfect <3

5 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Why not? Wigfrid totally digs that

She does. That's already one, to how many...? I, Lakurius (thanks) and probably few other hundreds of people that agree with me.

4 hours ago, Quyzbuk said:

Not sure if sarcasm or not, but you do realize what is already in game, right?

I mean, I just don't want them to become so different from each other that they won't have anything in common anymore. Like some kind of one-man factions.

I’d like to see character downsides that make the game more interesting, too.

Take, for example, Webber. Specifically his being hunted by things that hate spiders. It is undoubtedly a bad trait, yet it makes Webber a better character (from an enjoyment perspective, not a strategic one) because it forces you to change up the way you play by removing some of the tools at your disposal, forcing you to use new spider-based strategies. It seems I’m not the only one to enjoy a fun disadvantage or two, because the amount of Webbers seen on public servers is not at all proportional to to their strategic “value”.

Another character to have a fun downside is Wigfrid, who is locked to eating only meats. I don’t find it to be too much of an issue nowadays, but I do remember the days when I relied on berries and Wigfrid forces a change in strategy from that. While a large part of her popularity probably has to do with how she lets you get started more quickly, I can’t help but think this downside adds to that.

Warly has accrued his own cult following on these forums, if I’m not mistaken. Though having played him... he’s really not that “good” from a purely strategic point of view. However, he forces you to do something other then produce an onslaught of meatballs to fuel yourself and though I don’t think he’s powerful, per se, I nonetheless really enjoy playing him.

3 hours ago, Raspberry Shake said:

Sono d'accordo con te lì. Questo dovrebbe essere il prossimo DLC

After D&D and Don't Starve... S&S, Starve & Scientists, the new role-playing game for the whole family!

(Warning, not recommended for those who practice occultism and esoteric practices.)

Archived