Any tips for dealing witb Splumonkeys and Slurpers?

2 of the ruin rushes i've planned today have been completely ruined by splumonkeys following me everywhere i go, then turning into their shadow variants and forcing me to run around for 8 minutes. same with slurpers, only that they don't chase as long but can destroy your plans much faster.

i'm also having trouble with actually locating the ruins. i've made it to the muddy area with a semi-ruins area (destroyed walls and relics) but not any further.

So, 4 questions:

1) How do i deal with Splumonkeys?

2) How do i deal with Slurpers?

3) what's the best way of finding the ruins, and how do i get there?

4) what's the best way to deal with the broken clockworks?

There a mod call nightmare pharse indicator, with it you can know which pharse and how long that pharse still going. Monkey become wild in wild pharse and dawn pharse. This mod is very useful for ruin rush.

Against slurper and normal monkey all you should do is run away from them, they wont charse you like shadow monkey. Later in the game you can wall them or tooth trap them.

To find ruin, you have to understand how biome work, basically you have to go from entrance biome to light bulb biome then lichen,monkey then ruin.

Early game, best way is use logsuit+moggle then lead clockwork rook destroy everything else, later on, after you reset ruin a few times, use reanimated skeleton to do the fighting for you.

First and best is usually to prevent them following you: try to avoid them as much as possible. Look for the least monkey-dense part and go that way.

Once they follow you and more than what you could handle, my favourite solution is Abigail. 

If these didn't help, on of the most reliable way to kill a lot of following monkeys is a rook. Find a military area, take aggro of a rook and walk so that it crushes over the monkeys. The best is if you can do this before the nightmare phase, so the monkeys remain calm and don't attack you.

About sluerpers, I usually don't have much trouble with them, either they stop following early or I can kill them. It's rare that too many of them attacks me at once.

3 hours ago, Rocketlauncher22 said:

2 of the ruin rushes i've planned today have been completely ruined by splumonkeys following me everywhere i go, then turning into their shadow variants and forcing me to run around for 8 minutes. same with slurpers, only that they don't chase as long but can destroy your plans much faster.

i'm also having trouble with actually locating the ruins. i've made it to the muddy area with a semi-ruins area (destroyed walls and relics) but not any further.

So, 4 questions:

1) How do i deal with Splumonkeys?

2) How do i deal with Slurpers?

3) what's the best way of finding the ruins, and how do i get there?

4) what's the best way to deal with the broken clockworks?

To add onto what the people above me have said: Always enter the ruins immediately after the dawn phase ends. This gives you the most time to find the proper ruins area with the clockworks and statues.

To answer your questions directly:

1. Treat the monkeys as the biggest threat to the ruins. Constantly use your map in the village/wilds biome to figure out where their huts are, and find ways to detour around them. Should any follow you into the military biome, bait a bishop into shooting them or a rook into charging them. Always hold a backup lantern or a couple of glowberries in case one nabs your lantern.

2. Just keep running from slurpers. If one attaches to your head, just remove it from your head slot. Just be aware that if you’re wearing a hat, it will be dropped to the ground and vulnerable to nearby monkeys.

3. Try to find the different cave entrances around the world and see what your underground map will shape like. Remember that the ruins is a very large section of the caves, so it should be sprouting away from most of the cave’s other biomes.

Also, it is entirely possible to survive in the caves alone early-game. Each sinkhole will almost always provide enough nearby resources for a torch or two, which will allow you to see what resources or biomes are nearby.

Once you’re in the muddy biome, keep an eye out for lichen, which will signify the “wilds” section of the ruins. From there, scout around the edges of the wilds until you find the “village”, demoted by the new turf. This is where the monkeys are most abundant, so take caution and stick to the edges. The military biome should be on the other side of the village biome in most cases.

4. I assume you’re playing as wx per your profile picture, which is pretty much the ideal character for tanking clockworks in the ruins thanks to his ability to heal from gears. Craft 2-3 log suits and football helmets, and bring some healing items as well on your trip. 

Once you reach the military biome, fight the scattered lone clockworks to start amounting a gear collection. From there, hammer broken clockworks for more gears and supplies. You can kite the knights, but you will probably have to tank the bishops and rooks.

Once you’ve amounted a large enough collection of gears and have crafted some defensive items from the ancient pseudoscience station, you can start tanking the groups of clockworks found in the squares. Just keep an eye on your health and eat a gear when it starts dwindling.

Clearing the ruins of all the clockworks should give you enough gears to tank the Ancient Guardian.

1. You run.

2. You run.

3. Ruins or Atrium? Ruins: There isn't any best way, just explore. It's generated randomly in caves, usually being "connected" to them. Atrium: Kill the huge tentacles, which are a substitute to surface wormholes. One of them is connected to Atrium.

4. You run.

1. Avoid them. If you really can't, pick them off one by one by walking close to one before walking back. Shadow splumonkeys are best dealt with slowly, by killing them off. Don't let them swarm you, otherwise you'll get stunlocked and killed. Using hambat you can kill them with 3-4 hits.

2. Slurpers are easy to dodge as the target your location instead of character. Run in a zig zag way if you don't want to fight. Wait for them to jump before you sidestep them and then kill them if you want to fight.

3. Exploration. There is no really best way to find it, depends on your luck really. If you play WX78 don't get blue shrooms, just eat gears. If you are not, its best to find a blue shroom forest to get loads of blue shrooms. They heal for quite a bit.

4. Find a rook. Stand in front of a knight or bishop. Rook deals tons of dmg to mobs and can help you kill the clockworks. Kite the knight. Tank the bishop. You can kite the rook but its easier to just tank.

1 - I plant a lureplant in a narrow corridor. When monkeys are after you, just run away, passing close to the eyes of the plant, and they'll die. Maybe you can plant a lureplant directly around the monkeys houses, never tried.

2- not a problem, just watch out, they can make your mining hat fall, and monkeys will take it (stupid way to die)

3- go at the opposite from the green areas on the map, fins muddy areas and check them until you find lichens ... that's here.

4- broken clockworks works like the normal ones. Do, the same (rook can destroy the others).

I always wear night vision on ruins, so, use some weapon to kill off the slurpers, 4 hits with a nightmare sword it's enough.

Splumonkeys, I simply don't get close to them, or I just lure one by one, when they're on nightmare state.

The monkeys basically spawn on the boarder between the caves and the ruins.  I had a bit of trouble getting through them when I first ventured to the ruins, but now I have it pretty well down to just run passed them and ignore them.  If you can, make sure its not nightmare phase, and don't waste time doddling.  Same with slurpers.  They do chase a bit, but they will also drop off eventually... so will monkeys.

On 24. 1. 2019 at 12:21 PM, Tranoze said:

There a mod call nightmare pharse indicator, with it you can know which pharse and how long that pharse still going. Monkey become wild in wild pharse and dawn pharse. This mod is very useful for ruin rush.

GET A THULECITE MEDAILLON. REEEEEEEEE

Just burn the monkey dens if you're unable to run around them without getting attention. They'll return upon killing the fuelweaver anyway. Even if you're not at the point where you can kill the fuelweaver, you can at least reduce some of the spawners without eradicating the population and freeing up safe passage. Longer term for repeated sprints through the ruins, you can block them with walls.

Slurpers shouldn't be an issue, just use them as a distraction for worms or for bulbs in a pinch. If you're REALLY desperate (about to run out of light), let one latch onto you and use as a makeshift mining lamp.

Finding ruins, just look for the brown cave turf with lightbulbs, check the map every now and then to see cave lichen, and go from there

Broken clockworks can be best dealt by either 1) Isolating them and pulling them to a safe spot to fight or 2) Aggroing a rook and letting him smash through the other clockworks. If you can get him to run through the broken mounds, it might create an allied clockwork (if you'd rather create one yourself, find the supplies yourself and get this unique ally to help down there)

This is a kind of unfortunate answer, but like one of the earlier commenters said, you should get the nightmare phase indicator mod. There's just no way to tell when that phase from Warning Phase > Nightmare Phase hits. And it can ruin your entire game if you get caught in monkey hell during that switch in phases. So, you really should get the mod, it's ridiculously helpful when it come to exploring the ruins.

To find ruins, know that the mud biomes are ALWAYS connected to more mud biomes. Once you find one mud biome, you've basically found them all, because they are always connected. Then, to make more progress from there, you just keep exploring until you find lichen. When you find lichen, keep exploring until you finally find the bridge into the ruins to get those Thulecite Statues. 

Best way to deal with clockwork? Ignore them. Perhaps if you are Wolfgang, Wigfrid, or WX, you can actually fight them if you're prepared with armor and blue mushrooms, but I find it most useful to just ignore them. There is a way to get 2 rook to kill themselves by ramming into eachother, if you get them stuck on a wall... but it's a little difficult to do tho. You dont need to be killing the clockwork in ruins anyways - The main prize is the thulecite and gems. The best way of avoiding them is using moggles to see them.

Archived