Funko Pop Skins will be Marketable/Tradeable?

1 minute ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

These ones most likely won't go under original price sold by official vendor.. and that's just for the Skin. No one in their right mind will buy the combo to sell skin cheaper. Think GoH collection price-margins - for literally years now those are very expensive, in the 2 digits mark. Plus let's be honest here, this Funko fiasco will attract a lot that one type of person out there that shouldn't attract: the one speculating financial gain. Because most of us don't buy them for figurines, but skins. I will give you 1 year and still situation will persist in base capacity: generally by using Steam Market you will pay more for just the skin as opposed to skin + figurine, with very minor punctual exceptions.

'Cept for, you know, people who just want the figure. Those types of people do exist, just as there's people who just want the skin. I don't think comparing these readily available skins with the GoH collection is sound, as the reason for the GoH skins being so high is because there's so little on the market in comparison to other skin sets.

Anyways, I'd pick up the witch hat for what you'd pay for the figure in the US, I have no issue with this, just because the hat's at $60 right now, doesn't mean it's gonna be $60 in a month, a week, even a day.

I like how as soon as something people don't like occurs they jump on the "Klei is greedy" conclusion.

This is of course sarcasm.

Klei has shown again and again how insanely generous they are. They give out free game copies for betas like crazy, among more recent events.

It's silly how quickly people forget. I very much doubt they didn't have good intentions-the result just might not work out.

21 minutes ago, disies said:

The biggest difference here is that the people who sell these skins don't depend on RNG but can just buy the dolls and resell the skins. Rinse and repeat until the prices naturally drop.

Problem isnt price, just being fair to fans! People love DS and without any problem will buy figures or buy code and sell pop for collector.s Problem is lack of conscience and attempt to profit. They chanced "Proof Of Purchase" in to "Elegant" ONLY with Pop skins. Every sold item on market have % for Klei and Steam. Also selling Pops is % for Klei and Funko. Now its looks like attempt to profit from fans. With this thinking - WHY rest Proof skins cant be changed in to Elegant? They are worse or what? No, just Klei get all money from sell.
Klei started selling skins in shop in-game as donation as a kind of help. But every next pack skins is more expensive - some1 can tell "if so much expensive so why u buy it". I bought skins for helping my lovely studio in growing. The type of assistance changes in to big costs. I dont settle Klei on how much they earn, but from the fact that there is less content for game and more paid skins.

These figures and skins will be available in every country, so making tradeble Proof skins is just stupid ... For me more problematic is buy plushie in Klei shop than "stupid" figures.

13 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Klei has shown again and again how insanely generous they are. They give out free game copies for betas like crazy, among more recent events.

It's silly how quickly people forget. I very much doubt they didn't have good intentions-the result just might not work out.

Well, I like a lot Klei (And Im happy because finally I got the DLC with sountracks of DS. Thanks for make it available in my country, Klei.).

And I don't think anyone "hates" Klei here, most of the people are just expressing some thoughts about the funko things.

40 minutes ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

You can be pretty sure Klei didn't lend the brand copyright without any benefit. I would be very VERY surprised if otherwise.

Plus we are still waiting for Klei official stance on this whole Funko matter.

That doesn’t mean there was/wasn’t a fixed licensing fee.

I’m also wondering who you think the victim is here.

29 minutes ago, Ressayez said:

'Cept for, you know, people who just want the figure. Those types of people do exist, just as there's people who just want the skin. I don't think comparing these readily available skins with the GoH collection is sound, as the reason for the GoH skins being so high is because there's so little on the market in comparison to other skin sets.

Anyways, I'd pick up the witch hat for what you'd pay for the figure in the US, I have no issue with this, just because the hat's at $60 right now, doesn't mean it's gonna be $60 in a month, a week, even a day.

That's a fair point, the actual number of people legitimately wanting JUST the DS figurine with no interest in skins. My take on it, based on game's general popularity and observed trends over time...probably not that many as opposed to skin-fans. More so as Funko DS aren't without their faults. Would be interesting a pool, yet would limit itself to the very small percentage of people actually popping here and actively engaging in interactions. Yet let's agree to disagree for the present moment.

48 minutes ago, Sir.Fux said:

I actually have no clue, why everyone is so mad about the change from "proof of purchase" to a normal "elegant".

In my case is solely because this mechanism, sold DS brand goodie with skin codes that isn't "Proof of Purchase" rarity, encourages a certain type of people to profit from reselling respective goodies at high prices even over time ..profit-driven ones in a pretty certain way at least for now and as a concept. And because Klei should've been clear from start regarding all ins-and-outs of these deals, respectively also the items rarity classification - for a fair and clear transaction regarding potential customers. For example why buy them now, thinking they aren't dropping randomly (even if that drop rate maybe will be 0.5%), when in fact they will now probably drop?! This should've been also clear from start.

28 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

I like how as soon as something people don't like occurs they jump on the "Klei is greedy" conclusion.

This is of course sarcasm.

For now we just speculate on this move. And really only wish for some form of official clarification.

Is more of a "making it clear from start what the specifics of the product are and from what type of transaction you can get it" matter.

55 minutes ago, Tapirus said:

Well, looks like you're just a small exception, becuase the rest thinks the otherwise.

For what purpose exactly?

Well for the hope, that those items are dropping through the regular skin system. Reminds me a bit, when the alchemy engine skin came out, nobody knew a thing. Prices on the market were super high.

Ok - I am going to step in here because there is a lot of weird speculation and hyperbole here that isn't exactly making for a constructive conversation. 

The Proof of Purchase rarity is intended to be for Klei Store items. We use this because we are the only ones that can provide it and it helps players know they bought the real thing. Anybody can buy those items from the store right now and get the items. 

The Don't Starve Pops will be available just about everywhere Pops are sold. They are just now appearing on shelves, but they aren't rare. Just as the Letterman Jacket and Smart Sweater aren't sold for a ton, the prices will come down. There are more codes for Pops in circulation than any elegant item currently on the market and way more than the PAX codes. Once more people get access to the codes, more will be available and the price will be more reasonable.

Every time a new desirable item hits the steam marketplace people list it as high as they can to try to see what they can get for it. This is nothing new.

If there turns out to be some unexpected result with the Funko pop skins, we will address it. But it's WAY too early to begin freaking out. This is happening because very few retailers have the pops at this point. 

We expect the Pop skins to be on the marketplace for well below the price of a Pop for those players who want the skins, but don't have access to the pops or simply don't want to buy one.  

6 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Every time a new desirable item hits the steam marketplace people list it as high as they can to try to see what they can get for it. This is nothing new.

Same thing happened with Hallowed Nights and Rose skins, and now look at their prices:

image.thumb.png.683b9085ef8d03bcb90b4ade38b90367.pngimage.thumb.png.edce4343c2d17d609d267c4e30886449.png

Thank you for clearing things up

17 minutes ago, LanaMyriad said:

Can I ask what retailers already have them?

To our knowledge all retailers that regularly order pops from Funko will have them. So if there is a place near you that sells them, it's likely they will have them. This of course doesn't apply to resellers or specialty stores, only official retailers. 

We don't know how many will be available per location but our understanding is that it was a pretty standard order, so the availability should be the same as any other new not exclusive pop.  

1 hour ago, JoeW said:

The Proof of Purchase rarity is intended to be for Klei Store items. We use this because we are the only ones that can provide it and it helps players know they bought the real thing. Anybody can buy those items from the store right now and get the items.

Thanks for the explanation of the difference between the Proof of Purchase and normal elegant skins.

Still curious what makes these Skins exclusive though. I mean you can just grab them from the steam market....

image.thumb.png.91c49e1dec6e8350d8e1d8d998e5c6d3.png

edit: (If these skins are exclusive to Wilson, Willow, Wendy and Webber pops, I don't understand how they are if you can just grab them without.)

1 minute ago, JoeW said:

To our knowledge all retailers that regularly order pops from Funko will have them. So if there is a place near you that sells them, it's likely they will have them. This of course doesn't apply to resellers or specialty stores, only official retailers. 

I guess this makes sense but the Netherlands seems to be behind on this since also the officials are in the "pre-order" stage.

7 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

I’ve seen GameStop carry all but the Webber one, I live in the US

Thank you for the information... unfortunately for me the shipping costs from the US are higher than the price of 2-3 Funkos already. :wilson_smile:

7 minutes ago, Daniel86268 said:

Thanks for the explanation of the difference between the Proof of Purchase and normal elegant skins.

Still curious what makes these Skins exclusive though. I mean you can just grab them from the steam market....

...but even the ones on the Steam market came as exclusive with a real life Funko "attached".

People just decided to sell them since they will probably make quite a lot of money before the figurines are properly out and the skins will not be so rare. 

8 minutes ago, LanaMyriad said:

I guess this makes sense but the Netherlands seems to be behind on this since also the officials are in the "pre-order" stage.

They are still "pre-order" most places. The shipments have gone out but as far as I am aware most places that sell them don't have them on shelves yet.

3 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

No problem, now you can get those 34$ Funko figurine + skin at the amazing discount of.. 65$ ..without figurine! It's a sure CHI-CHING deal! "Bișnițar"-approved! (don't ask)

You can be pretty sure Klei didn't lend the brand copyright without any benefit. I would be very VERY surprised if otherwise.

Plus we are still waiting for Klei official stance on this whole Funko matter.

Bisnitar - haha!

Sa stii ca sunt foarte multe tipuri de contracte de licenta pentru intellectual property...  Dar evident ca si compania beneficieaza ca doar nu sunt charity... plus ca multi fani vor sa ii sustina cat mai mult! :wilson_laugh:

Plus ca realizezi cat or sa scada preturile dramatic cand or sa fie Funko-urile valabile in toate magazinele si online, inca nu sunt disponibile peste tot asa ca oamenii au vazut oportunitatea sa le vanda pe mult mai mult decat merita. Trebuie sa dea pe cineva banii afara din casa sa plateasca 60 de euro pe un skin in loc sa vada ca poate sa comande 2-3-4 Funko.

1 hour ago, Daniel86268 said:

(If these skins are exclusive to Wilson, Willow, Wendy and Webber pops, I don't understand how they are if you can just grab them without.)

Yeah, at this point calling them "exclusive" is kind of a lie...

Also, off topic, but a little buyer beware I've noticed; the Willow Funko Pop does not stand up whatsoever. Mine consistently falls off the base eventually after managing to get it to balance on the peg you're supposed to put one of their feet on (that they only fit loosely over). I even tried sticking her to the base with glue dots and now she just falls over base included because she's so back-heavy....

Just now, disies said:

I guess it means that you get the code exclusively, since they are normally a drop. So a guaranteed thing

Guaraneed yes, Exclusive no.

There's a nice but subtle difference between a guarantee and something exclusive.

Guaranteed means, as you know, that you definitely get something.

Exclusive means that that it is the only way to get something.

5 minutes ago, Daniel86268 said:

Exclusive means that that it is the only way to get something.

Yeah, that's the reason I went out of my way to hunt all four figures down in stores in the first place. Now that it turns out I didn't even have to, I think I'm justifiably perturbed... thank you for that clarification, by the way. Couldn't of put it better myself.

20 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

I do hope it's an error and the rightly-so "Proof Of Purchase" rarity was mistakenly substituted via last update with an "Elegant" tag. Otherwise this will open a whole new can of worms most of us don't want opened.

Completely agreeing on this one. Even after reading the explanations given here I don't really understand the logic. The previous Klei merchandise in-game items had the "Proof of Purchase" rarity. The Pop figures and in-game items are still official merchandise, no...? So why set them to a rarity which until now has been reserved for in-game items without accompanying merchandise purchases? I am not expecting an answer, I'm just pointing out that it's strange.

I was looking forward to the in-game items that will come with the Pop figures but not so much the figures themselves, so this might be better for me, but the logic eludes me. Then again, if the in-game items will be "Elegant" and marketable, why not make them purchasable in the in-game shop? Hopefully the prices on the Steam Market will drop fast to a point where they are much cheaper than importing anything from the USA to Europe (the Klei plushies, winter hats and pins were expensive to import thanks to lovely custom fees but I don't regret it for a second). I've never seen or let alone heard of Funko Pop, having lived in Europe.

1 hour ago, Captain_Rage said:

Even after reading the explanations given here I don't really understand the logic. The previous Klei merchandise in-game items had the "Proof of Purchase" rarity. The Pop figures and in-game items are still official merchandise, no...? So why set them to a rarity which until now has been reserved for in-game items without accompanying merchandise purchases?

If I understood JoeW right, the difference is that the Funko Pops are available at a lot of places, both in stores and on-line, while the official Klei merchadice only on the Klei webstore. So the Proof-of-Purchase skins are belonging to products that you can buy only directly from Klei. But since you can buy the Pops from different retailers you don't buy them from Klei (directly), so the corresponding skins aren't Proof-of-Purchase. 

6 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

If I understood JoeW right, the difference is that the Funko Pops are available at a lot of places, both in stores and on-line, while the official Klei merchadice only on the Klei webstore. So the Proof-of-Purchase skins are belonging to products that you can buy only directly from Klei. But since you can buy the Pops from different retailers you don't buy them from Klei (directly), so the corresponding skins aren't Proof-of-Purchase. 

Basically that in a nutshell. End of discussion I amuse unless someone got more to add which seem pointless. Also for the price. Stop being a baby about it. Joew and other already clarify about the price. Basically going to drop to a reasonable price overtime. You can simply just go to the store and buy it yourself. Much better. You get a mini figure and the skin. I don’t see why.

6 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

..Funko Pops are available at a lot of places... while the official Klei merchadice only on the Klei webstore. So the Proof-of-Purchase skins are belonging to products that you can buy only directly from Klei.

Oh well, nice and dandy, sweet like candy. Seems alright ..IF this was mentioned from start when Funko Pop DS collection appeared and was publicized as having special Skins codes - then and there should've been mentioned that:

A) said skins will be "Elegant" rarity and

B) they will be Steam marketable soooo.. not really needing to buy said figurines to have, over time, the skins.

Also this doesn't change the fact that:

A) will take a lot of time till prices will maybe fall to an acceptable general level and, again,

B) this practice encourages 3rd-party people to profit heavily the system ("opened can of worms"), much more so than regular RNG dependent one. Buy as many Funko as you can, sell codes on Steam Market at 5x price of original package, sell figurines on eBay, repeat -> very nice profit. Not RNG dependent. At this very moment.

These things seem to fly over most people's heads.

5 hours ago, Thalkas said:

They chanced "Proof Of Purchase" in to "Elegant" ONLY with Pop skins.

Technically, yes, but the Letterman Jacket skins were distributed at a one-time event—some kind of conference, so it was like a proof of purchase I believe, in that you had to buy a ticket and go to the event, so it’s like PoP. Those limited-edition skins can be bought and sold on the Steam market. Originally they were crazy expensive but now you can get them for a little over $5.

This seems a weird thing to fly into hysterics over. No one is forced to buy the skins in order to play and it’s pretty easy to buy the figures through Amazon if you really want them. 

Archived