Warbucks' Writing Dilemma

On ‎2019‎-‎01‎-‎02 at 1:20 AM, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

Hopefully he doesn't just become "fancy Woodlegs", that is to say just a flat treasure-tracking explorer, just because referencing a certain chapter of history is forbidden in the game where you can play as:

• A possible Bolshevik
  • A maniacal genocidal robot who wishes to destroy all life
  • Or a literal pirate (you know, those historically pillaging, raping, murdering thieves)

All while using unholy dark magic to murder innocent sentient pig-people in cold blood to consume their flesh for sustenance.

Again… a very good point.

Imma addmit. I've been interested in ds when rog came out, forgot about it and finally bought everything (singleplayer, multiplayer and all dlc) when I saw New Reign trailer, so I might not know that much about what was going on back then but...

I feel like dst updates made it really popular and therefore when hamlet was announced even more people came around. 

So yeah it feels like back when Sw was busy introducing pirate character people didn't find that wrong cuz there wasn't so much interest back then. But right now there's so much people, plus nowdays humans are just looking for things to get offended by, that Warbucks seems like the most offensive thing ever.

(not to offend anyone) I'm pretty sure that 85% of players wouldn't even understand what his "bad" quotes are reffering to. Most of them would probably go "oh yeah India is a country and colonialism was a thing. Ok"

On 1/13/2019 at 4:01 PM, SDragonhead said:

Oh wowzers look at how this place turned out. Well lotsa folks here gone total bonkers.

Literally every piece of media is full of stereotypes, either subverted or developed, that's what characterization and design RELIES on. You have to see the stock trope to identify the character, and then their development, whether it matches the traits you expect or is the opposite, is where the writing comes in. Theres nothing wrong with that part, it's that some of you fools are trying to compare that to actually offensive stereotypes and characterization

Spoiler

this reminds me of like cutural stereotypes like how gay men are like always dainty and feminine like they are not just a man, but a seprete breed of men. or like how black characters when made are really **BLACK** kind of makes me hate it but I still like it all the same Love and Hate, same with women too. but I also like the 

Idk I like to think that sterotypes are not created equal and yes depending on the culture and how people are raised its going to ruffle feathers or its not. I don't think people that take offense are to be ignored either because they have feelings and making someone feel bad and a group can still cause lots of hurt even if you think their reasoning is dumb.

No one cares about a robot, pirate, or magician cause they are obviously fantasy, the things like nazis and stuff and warbucks I feel for some the lines are blurried, we know they're fantasy but especially if your a browser of the Internet is that people do honestly thing like nazis they can think like warbucks and thats scary and dangerous, because those are dangerous mindsets no one wants to feel like their enforcing.  So I can see why they changed it, there or two things you can do when your write a stereotype you make it positive or demonize it and make it the butt of jokes as some have pointed it out. I feel each side is right in certain circumstances. and I think that people who want censorship and don't want it are also both right cause there are just things you can't show people.

I think at this point the thread has like gone into META SOCIAL CRITIQUE OF CULTURE and I find this thread kinda useless but I wanted to post here because i've had a lot of fun reading what everyone has said and I prolly won't have many oppertunties to talk about things I love cause this could just go on for hours.

oh yes voting 
we have an anthropomorphic orange I see no problem with an anthropomorphic radish
but my thoughts in a spolier cause rambling and 

On 03/12/2018 at 8:36 PM, magia said:

There was nothing wrong with his old quotes, the only thing weird is him being this tan. Only uneducated manchildren would want to censor him.

And then they did. Did this thread lead to Klei removing Warbucks by any chance?

3 hours ago, Charsis said:

And then they did. Did this thread lead to Klei removing Warbucks by any chance?

He was removed because he just wasn't working out altogether. The cultural thing was a small part of it but the reality is no one directly complained to Klei about him or anything. This thread was the farthest it ever was and it wasn't even really a heated debate. It wasn't a big enough issue to be the reason outright, otherwise they would have remove him completely instead of leaving him playable in the files, or just slap his stats on a new character completely with a clean slate.

They just didn't like him. There wasn't much to do with his character concept and decided Woodworm was a more unique idea.

41 minutes ago, AlexGM said:

Wow this is the kid who got warbucks removed. People nowadays are so *****, getting offended over nothing. 

Emphasis mine:

On 2/9/2019 at 9:56 PM, JoeW said:

Let's be super clear here. The reason we had issue with him was more because of this type of thread. It wasn't as much the character or what he represents, it's what people think that it does. Like this thread there have been a lot of speculations about our intent, when I clearly said why. We didn't have a single person actually contact us to complain about Warbucks. None. Not even one. There were conversations about it, And even after we changed it, there was speculation and decisions about what we did and why when it's very plainly stated.

The simple fact is, we could do better. So we did. If we were trying to sweep him under the rug, we would have removed him entirely. We didn't. I'm sorry that some of you disagree with that decision, but we aren't going to invest more time into it, we put that time into a new character instead.

As far as being upset because of a misrepresentation of what's in the game, we did add a new character in his place. An objectively better character gameplay-wise. We are still in an early-access for the game, that's being worked on added to and changed, but I am sorry you feel that we are misrepresenting what we are doing with the game, but I don't think we are hiding that fact at all.

We will make a new trailer for sure. We're currently working out a roadmap for what we need to get completed to finish early access for the game. 

It's cool for us to talk about this. But let's keep it civil. We're not up to anything weird. Simply when we were in a room talking about how to 'fix' Warbucks, we simply decided our time was better spent on something new. It's that simple. 

Stop blaming fellow fans for Klei's decision, it's disturbing.

11 hours ago, Szczuku said:

This is honestly so pathetic at this point.

It's like when you give kid a toy and they don't play with it at all, but when you try to take it away from them they'll suddently throw a tantrum.

People did play as him though. Accusing people who disagree with you of throwing a tantrum is really damn childish.

Everyone needs to let it go and these threads need to be locked. It's done and Warbucks isn't coming back.

Sorry about bumping it up again after 2 months but seeing that this thread wasn't locked automatically means that's probably not against the rules.

I just couldn't get previous overposted and overused message with a guy saying "shut up about warbucks" be the final one on this thread.

Person from the future, if you read this and are about to make "that offends me" post, please consider staying silent this time and avoiding something that makes you offended. Have a nice day.

Archived