UI decision for "click 5times to make task continuos" is horrible!

This is one of the few absolutly horrible and counter-intuitive decisions to be implemented.

Seriously, now you have to click 5 times to make any task continuous, with the exception of eggs, while pre-patch you had to check once.

It is the very opposite of quiality of life improvement.

Each recipe type should have its own button that brings up a UI box where you can set its properties. Make X times, hysteresis, or forever (and please ingredient radius).

It would require an extensive modification of the framework, I would imagine.

Don't be cruel guys, the goal, as stated in the release notes, is to improve the UI for the next few weeks with constructive criticism from players.

So, I feel like going through so much clicks to get to the continuous operation is a bit tedious and needs some refinement.

My suggestions :

- make the counter cycle back to 0 after continuous operation, so we can just hit the left arrow from 0 to get to it. This way you can also increase the counter to maybe ten without having the hassle of many clicks.

- another way it could be improved would be to have a single toggle button (for continuous operation) and an integer input field to its right, for each recipe. When continuous operation is toggled on, the integer input field is disabled and greyed out. When continuous operation is toggled off, one can input an integer between 0 and the max number you decide. Other way would to simply add the said toggle to the left of your arrows and numeric display, I feel there is enough space in the UI to add that feature without lowering the readability. This way the building can still be stopped immediately as before by toggling it off, and typing/arrowing a single number for when specific numbers are needed.

- a last addition, on top the one before, that might be much more complicated, would be to add an option to the building like "set sequence" (it clearly needs another name) that would loop through all the recipes you chosed in the UI. Let's say there are 4 iron and 4 steel currently awaiting in the metal refinery queue. If you toggle this "set sequence" button, the metal refinery would loop 4 iron and then 4 steel endlessly. Now that I'm writing it, it seems quite a bit overcomplicated and maybe hard to grasp thus not user friendly.

Anyway, thanks Klei for all those sweet sweet changes !

IMO the best way for it to work is to have a checkbox for continous production. The non-continous tasks should have priority over continous ones an allow for up to 100 items queued. When you check the continous prodcution instead of a number you`d have a priority arrow (like in the priority screen) so that you can prioritize certain item production over others, and limited production would have the highest priority always.

7 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

This is one of the few absolutly horrible and counter-intuitive decisions to be implemented.

Seriously, now you have to click 5 times to make any task continuous, with the exception of eggs, while pre-patch you had to check once.

It is the very opposite of quiality of life improvement.

its a testing branch...

On 22.11.2018 at 7:29 PM, Ipsquiggle said:

Major revision to the recipe screen for fabrication buildings like the Cook Station and Refinery. Currently they all use the same UI. Now, the UI allows setting a number or infinite amount of any recipe, and recipes without ingredients will be skipped automatically. This UI will be further developed during the testing period.

3 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

IMO the best way for it to work is to have a checkbox for continous production. The non-continous tasks should have priority over continous ones an allow for up to 100 items queued. When you check the continous prodcution instead of a number you`d have a priority arrow (like in the priority screen) so that you can prioritize certain item production over others, and limited production would have the highest priority always.

I like that. For 100 max, you should have a number input box though and then you could also allow 999.

23 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

We are close to my preferred schedule screen:

With the continous options added on left click, just a way to prioritize would be missing. But instead of using the arrows like in the task screen why not let us "order" the recipe with drag and drop to make the list reflect the priorities.

(And I like that there is not option to schedule an arbitrary integer number of cooking tasks. 1-5 Is something happening in the early game or if your doing some "little" adjustments to your food production. But anything much higher would reduce some challenges, like dealing with excess sleet wheat after digging into an untouched ice biome after a long time ...)

I'd like to add another criticism to the current way the fabrication recipes are handled: There is currently no way to tell what is required to unlock a recipe in some buildings. I noticed when building an exosuit forge I had no recipes available since I hadn't found any reed fibre yet. But a new player who doesn't have any knowledge of the recipes yet will conclude the building is broken without any way to figure out how to make the building work. I'd like to suggest that there be some form of progression in showing recipes in refinement buildings. For the exosuits you shouldn't have to wait for the recipe to appear until you stumble upon the ingredient. I would like to know right off the bat how to make them when I unlock the tech. For making steel you also need to discover all the elements, how about this recipe be unlocked when researching bunker tiles? This way the recipe is revealed the moment it is needed and doesnt require you visit guides or forums. I'm sure some other fabrications could be reworked this way but in the current state it could leave new players very confused.

6 minutes ago, 0xFADE said:

Make it a loop.  So you can click down from the lowest amount to infinite and up from infinite to the lowest.  Then it would usually be just one click.

This is actually how it works now, you can set it to infinite if you click the "less" button when it says zero.

11 hours ago, 0xFADE said:
12 hours ago, nvzboy said:

This is actually how it works now, you can set it to infinite if you click the "less" button when it says zero.

Ah well then what is the problem?  I guess if you didn't know you could do that.

Was just added on the latest preview hotfix, not on the first release ;)

as an aside... is anyone finding any need to use anything other than continuous? I really don't see the need for ever building "just 3" of something (or whatever). ONI is about building systems that are designed to work consistently... I just don't see the manual set use case :confused:

4 hours ago, LeftyRighty said:

as an aside... is anyone finding any need to use anything other than continuous? I really don't see the need for ever building "just 3" of something (or whatever). ONI is about building systems that are designed to work consistently... I just don't see the manual set use case :confused:

the problem with continuous is you forget and then see all your wolframite converted to tungsten...or all your gold.  often I want some of each.  6 is not enough and continuous is too much.  I would like a tons setting as individual packets are too small

28 minutes ago, chemie said:

the problem with continuous is you forget and then see all your wolframite converted to tungsten...or all your gold.  often I want some of each.  6 is not enough and continuous is too much.  I would like a tons setting as individual packets are too small

How about a field that allows free input? So you can type in how many orders you want. 

8 hours ago, LeftyRighty said:

All the time. But I find the maximum of 5 too low. I would like to enter 1-99 or better 1-999.

Archived