Hamlet is Too Easy

Like the title says, I believe Hamlet, in its current state, is far too easy. Let me explain, after you get used to hamlet (only took a couple of playthroughs for me), Hamlet becomes incredibly easy. It’s incredibly easy from the start, you can steal everything you will ever need, you can hire armored pigs to fight and take damage for you, you literally have to do NOTHING except eat food and explore. Now I know this varies based on character, but for the majority of characters gameplay in Hamlet is what I described above once you get fairly decent at it. I am honestly shocked how easy it is, I went into it expecting a major challenge, I mean they went so far as to warn players that it is harder then RoG or SW.

Anyways I just wanted to see if others thought Hamlet is too easy. Let me know what you think!

I disagree.  I was hoping Hamlet would be more about exploring than fighting monsters, and it is.  Still lots of monsters, it's not like they took them away.  So, that's two opinions -- let's see what others have to say.  

I feel the same, once you craft a few basic items like the pithhat, cowl, gas mask & learn to manage sanity (get the tam O, banana pops, lotus flower). The game becomes much easier in the midgame. The map is small & the shops provide you almost everything dirt cheap. There is no issue of temperature, fire, flooding, no boss attacks. Pig guards can kill almost anything that is thrown at us(easily). All aggressive mobs are locked in the rainforest biome. Only the rabid beetle are any threat which can be easily countered.

I've not read any wikis anything about it except what was on Steam until now. I have not been able to live past day 24 yet, and most of the time I die by day 5. - If you're reading how to do things, the game will be easy. If you're watching others play it, the game will be easier for you. If you've figured all of it out on your own, and find it easy, I don't know what to say other than maybe you're right. - But everything is catching me off guard, and I'm dying.

Maybe they could allow you to select how hard you want the game to be easy, medium, hard and nightmare modes you want hard I suppose maybe have it to where pigs attack on site and you have to build a friendship with them  or if you steal or ruin ALL pigs even regular pigs aggro would be a fun challenge.

8 hours ago, Sasuga said:

I've not read any wikis anything about it except what was on Steam until now. I have not been able to live past day 24 yet, and most of the time I die by day 5. - If you're reading how to do things, the game will be easy. If you're watching others play it, the game will be easier for you. If you've figured all of it out on your own, and find it easy, I don't know what to say other than maybe you're right. - But everything is catching me off guard, and I'm dying.

Thank you pointing this out -- I jump in, and die.  and die again.  and die again.  If I read spoilers, it suddenly gets much easier... I don't want monsters so numerous and so strong that I can't survive while focusing on exploration, discovery, and figuring things out.  As much as I love DS, Hamlet is offering me things I find lacking in the other games -- and I own ROG and SW.  

As long as you don't abuse stealing, it's a satisfactory level of difficulty I think. It's the abuse of stealing that makes it easy (free stuff all over plus a guard army). In my longest playthrough I have not stolen a single thing and it was much more rewarding and evenly paced.

The penalty for stealing is laughable at the moment - one pig gets mad, all that usually means is you hire a guard, kill the pig, and benefit from the theft even further.

1 hour ago, Ellilea said:

As long as you don't abuse stealing, it's a satisfactory level of difficulty I think. It's the abuse of stealing that makes it easy (free stuff all over plus a guard army). In my longest playthrough I have not stolen a single thing and it was much more rewarding and evenly paced.

The penalty for stealing is laughable at the moment - one pig gets mad, all that usually means is you hire a guard, kill the pig, and benefit from the theft even further.

Yeah stealing definitely needs to be worked on. Like I said there’s literally no point in doing anything. 

15 hours ago, Sasuga said:

I specifically avoided reading anything about the game and it still took me a couple of playthroughs (First couple were to day 13 experimenting, afterwards I made it to upwards of day 56 ((This is when I discovered that Hamlet is incredibly easy once you get used to it))). As of now I have read things on the wiki, but for the most part I experienced and learned pretty much everything in the game for myself. Which only took a few days. I say pretty much because I did occasionally talk to a friend of mine about minor details or minor things we encountered.

Yeah.... the first few times I played the game and didn't know how to steal from shops it was actually quite hard, however after I found out how to steal from shops, the game became much easier due to the fact that you can just sit in the shop and take everything at night, because of this it became much easier and basically turned into a waiting game for night, which isn't hard at all for me, and actually not much fun either. Another problem I found was that the lampposts in the city serve as a light source, so on my character that I'm playing on now I don't think I have once set down a campfire and I have lived to day 17.

If you just play to go as far as you can you won't have much trouble. It's been the same for every other DLC and the game in general - if you truly want to just get the day number as high as possible, you can run away from the waves and bosses, eat bare minimum supplies, and wear flower hats for sanity management. Not that that's a bad thing! Personally, I love exploring, fighting bosses and unique enemies, and using unique items, so that's what I do. Difficulty is partially based on your choices - also, once worldgen mods are fixed, you can make it as hard as you want. 

I do think stealing the deed could stand to be a bit tougher, and the price raised a bit, but that's just my opinion.

4 minutes ago, GuacBoy said:

If you just play to go as far as you can you won't have much trouble. It's been the same for every other DLC and the game in general - if you truly want to just get the day number as high as possible, you can run away from the waves and bosses, eat bare minimum supplies, and wear flower hats for sanity management. Not that that's a bad thing! Personally, I love exploring, fighting bosses and unique enemies, and using unique items, so that's what I do. Difficulty is partially based on your choices - also, once worldgen mods are fixed, you can make it as hard as you want. 

I do think stealing the deed could stand to be a bit tougher, and the price raised a bit, but that's just my opinion.

You can steal anything, not just the deed, that includes rare items like the deerclops eye. 

23 hours ago, Sasuga said:

My experience is similar to yours. Even when I survive near death situations, I find some new calamity like lightning striking my house.

wx 78 is also particularly strong in Hamlet. 

I have already grown a habit to rush to the pig queen on day 5 and then mant queen right away. Started my own settlement at day 11, near some Thunderbirds. Infinite charges, low sanity from charging means infinite nightmare fuel = sell to as many Magic Shops as you care to build. I basically never had to leave my own village after day 11. I had one exploration spree to get a red gem that lasted 5 days after that to build a fan and one more time I bought a honey ham to build the food shop but thats it really. 

Its kinda too easy to only live of the city. In all my playthrroughs I hardly ever cook on my own.

10 hours ago, Rhobious_Aran said:

wx 78 is also particularly strong in Hamlet. 

I have already grown a habit to rush to the pig queen on day 5 and then mant queen right away. Started my own settlement at day 11, near some Thunderbirds. Infinite charges, low sanity from charging means infinite nightmare fuel = sell to as many Magic Shops as you care to build. I basically never had to leave my own village after day 11. I had one exploration spree to get a red gem that lasted 5 days after that to build a fan and one more time I bought a honey ham to build the food shop but thats it really. 

Its kinda too easy to only live of the city. In all my playthrroughs I hardly ever cook on my own.

How do you kill mant queen that early? I died with 3 halberds and 2 logsuit as wigfrid.

Archived