The Easiest Petroleum Boiler ever? <Insert derpy name here>

As title - video should explain nicely :

Spoiler

But heres a few pics for those of you who don't like links :) The premise is simple - supercoolant boils at ~438 degrees C, which seemed too convenient a temperature not to use. The super coolant is housed in a little metal home above the aquatuners, where it flickers joyfully from gas / liquid depending on the room temperature. Aquatuners heat the room until the supercoolant boils, at which point the petroleum is dumped out of the left side mechanized airlock and pumped away for storage.

Hydro sensor on the right is connected to a liquid shutoff which tops the room up if it detects the petroleum levels have dropped. 

Dead easy, dead simple, and can be made smaller - this was version 1. Worked straight out of the gates, so figured i'd share it with you all to be refined :)

Hope it helps, enjoy. -Life.x

image.thumb.png.eb34cc17c660f564c16636850065fddf.png

image.thumb.png.def22cee004e32f536c89d4bcb73aa44.png

image.thumb.png.f2f20c299a9fef10c70e2c318a920b1e.png

image.thumb.png.ac94ca39fa5cd70c1c63c2dc6724f77a.png

The interesting bit here is that an aquatuner running full blast on super coolant generates enough heat to convert 2kg/s of crude to petroleum (+/- depending on crude oil temp). Petroleum generators require 2 kg/s to run. This and the 436.9C boiling point seems too big a coincidence to not be intentional. Assuming you have a sufficient supply of crude oil, you get 800W of power, a bunch of cooling, and some CO2 and pwater to play with.

Well done.

I noticed a while ago that supercoolant boiling point was solidly between the transition point of crude and the flash point of petroleum, from someone else's build using a liquid/solid gold sensor to accomplish something similar. 37oC temperature range between the transition point of crude and supercoolant boiling point is a very nice range to work with, particularly since the flash point of petroleum isn't for another 100oC.

I'm glad someone better than I made a proper demonstration of it, I'll definitely tinker with this when I've some spare time. I'd like to harness a volcano rather than rely on an aquatuner, as I feel like thermium heated aquatuner boilers for petroleum or steam turbines will get balanced at some point.

Edit: I wish we had liquid element sensors, like the gaseous version. It would make things nicer for many things.

2 hours ago, crypticorb said:

I noticed a while ago that supercoolant boiling point was solidly between the transition point of crude and the flash point of petroleum, from someone else's build using a liquid/solid gold sensor to accomplish something similar. 37oC temperature range between the transition point of crude and supercoolant boiling point is a very nice range to work with, particularly since the flash point of petroleum isn't for another 100oC.

Maybe you got the idea here?

Just now, Christophlette said:

Steel adds 200°C to overheat temperature. The aquatuner has a base overtheat temperature of 125°C. So I guess in this build they are made of nobium.

Damnit. I am still down at ~100kg nobium. So quite a stretch to get the mats.

Can somebody add the recipe for super coolant to this thread?

I have been working on a oil-petro volcano boiler using thermium to pump 450 degree petro (everything else is steel).

The Boiling part works very well so far.

I had to do some manual interaction to prevent the lava from overflowing in the start (Have not yet worked out a system to keep an autosweeper in range & cool, and automate the collection igneous rock without losing too much heat. )

Hopefully after I figure out that part it should be automatic.

The petro is used to preheat incoming crude then used.20181103183652_1.thumb.jpg.e389f7b1b29798b227faa80f808ff420.jpg20181103183656_1.thumb.jpg.987d5ce88d7d51f61a95e57412a2ccae.jpg

1 hour ago, blash365 said:

@Lifegrow: Are the aquatuners nobium or steel? i dont think you mentioned it in the video.

Sorry, was out at the cinema (fyi, the new Queen film is amazing :p )

Nearly everything was thermium - it's plentiful, and with the metal refinery recipes to generate additional niobium - I've started just building everything out of thermium late game. All piping was ceramic though, I still detest the "insulation" recipe.

On 11/3/2018 at 1:59 PM, Lifegrow said:

As title - video should explain nicely :

Reveal hidden contents

But heres a few pics for those of you who don't like links :) The premise is simple - supercoolant boils at ~438 degrees C, which seemed too convenient a temperature not to use. The super coolant is housed in a little metal home above the aquatuners, where it flickers joyfully from gas / liquid depending on the room temperature. Aquatuners heat the room until the supercoolant boils, at which point the petroleum is dumped out of the left side mechanized airlock and pumped away for storage.

Hydro sensor on the right is connected to a liquid shutoff which tops the room up if it detects the petroleum levels have dropped. 

Dead easy, dead simple, and can be made smaller - this was version 1. Worked straight out of the gates, so figured i'd share it with you all to be refined :)

Hope it helps, enjoy. -Life.x

image.thumb.png.eb34cc17c660f564c16636850065fddf.png

image.thumb.png.def22cee004e32f536c89d4bcb73aa44.png

image.thumb.png.f2f20c299a9fef10c70e2c318a920b1e.png

image.thumb.png.ac94ca39fa5cd70c1c63c2dc6724f77a.png

Is your liquid pump connected to the same heavy wire?

31 minutes ago, bleeter6 said:

Is your liquid pump connected to the same heavy wire?

No, I wasn't sure what I was going to do with wiring, so I had a separate conductive wire nearby, You could easily connect it with a joint plate below the mechanized airlock and have everything run off one heavy wire no problem.

I did show this in the video ;) 

On 11/3/2018 at 3:27 PM, crypticorb said:

Edit: I wish we had liquid element sensors, like the gaseous version. It would make things nicer for many things.

Oh wow, I didn't even realize you couldn't use element sensors in liquid.

15 minutes ago, suicide commando said:

Just a little FYI, you're better off making things out of thermium than niobium. Thermium requires 5k of niobium and 95 tungsten. So it's much easier to get a good quantity, as you'll need to make less trips into space to get it.

And thermium can be refined 1:1 to niobium.  So you can essentially trade tungsten for niobium, making for even fewer trips to space.  Granted, you'll want to limit this as tungsten is limited and you'll want some available for thermium as well.

Just now, Nitroturtle said:

And thermium can be refined 1:1 to niobium.  So you can essentially trade tungsten for niobium, making for even fewer trips to space.  Granted, you'll want to limit this as tungsten is limited and you'll want some available for thermium as well.

Using this, you can turn 95 KG tungsten into niobium, which is good for 1900 kg of thermium. so not that great a loss.
But yes, wolframite is the limiting factor in obtaining this stuff.

Bumping this just to say thanks to @Lifegrow for the layout.  Just got around to building one of these and it's working great.  With the new sensor ranges, you don't even need the fancy super coolant evaporation trick and I probably could have made the room one less tile high.  I also made two separate loops for the aquatuners.  Bonus points for using natural abyssalite though?

Spoiler

20190104112549_1.thumb.jpg.93dea605765d65d94f31ead5d084ae98.jpg

The risk of only using a temp sensor as opposed to the super coolant trick is that you can overboil and end up with sour gas instead. And the temp sensor needs to be submerged in something with good thermal conductivity anyway, so you might as well use super coolant.

On 03/11/2018 at 9:34 PM, blash365 said:

Damnit. I am still down at ~100kg nobium. So quite a stretch to get the mats.

Can somebody add the recipe for super coolant to this thread?

You just need 5kg of nobium and 95kg tungsten to make 100kg of thermium, which has a higher melting point than nobium.

You can use any liquid for the aquatuners, depending on your application, unless you need to use the low freezing point of super coolant, ie liquefying gasses.

As for the temperature sensor immersed in super coolant, you can omit this and just place a temperature sensor made from steel in the petrol itself now that temp sensors go above 300c.

Regarding super coolant recipe:

Spoiler

1kg fullerene

49.5kg gold

49.kg petrol

Love the build too, it is elegant.

32 minutes ago, Arcus2611 said:

The risk of only using a temp sensor as opposed to the super coolant trick is that you can overboil and end up with sour gas instead. And the temp sensor needs to be submerged in something with good thermal conductivity anyway, so you might as well use super coolant.

I've tried for several minutes to think of any possible way that using the phase change of one material would give a more accurate temperature reading than a device specifically designed to measure the temperature and the only thing I can come up with is that you could possible type in the wrong number for the sensor.  So yeah, I guess that's a risk. 

Temp-shift plates ensure that the temp sensor reads correctly.

18 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

As for the temperature sensor immersed in super coolant, you can omit this and just place a temperature sensor made from steel in the petrol itself now that temp sensors go above 300c.

It doesn't need to be steel, iron is fine.  They don't have an overheat temperature, unless you're concerned about the typo issue listed above, the only thing to watch for is the melting point at 1500C+. :D

3 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

I see a lot of ideas to transform crude oil in petroleum with a boiler. But what about the cooling system to manage it? Because, how you pump it without the new metals?

You could just exploit mini pump detection/operation areas.

1 minute ago, SamLogan said:

Yes, but I prefer a non-exploit solution, and I think the challenge is clearly there given we have many solutions to boil the crude oil.

Have it empty into a cooling pool, rather than directly onto a pump?

Archived