Expressive Upgrade Testing Branch is now Open! - 277292

On restarting my old 700 cycles save after the new beta branch, all my mafic rock  stored in containers vanished (:

I know there is a clean up at each restart, but I assume it was for the space aera, not inside base (let alone inside containers). Can someone confirm it's normal behavior? (and not a special clean up for this game update)

I took the paint of collecting/storing/cooling the mafic rock because it seems attactive for it's 0.01 conductivity as insulated tile, but it's of no use if it vanish!

image.png.0b3f889cb26e738dcd9fc5c4e74869cc.png

Edited by Argelle
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

I feel like I should put this somewhere since I always answer you.. ;) Nope, no worldgen changes, so continue in existing saves. The Expectation changes may make some bases inviable tho...

The seeds changed, my old seed 79 had 3 natural gas geysers and no metal volcano, new 79 world has metal volcano and 1 or 2 NG.

With the critter egg/conveyor rail storage being fixed, there really needs to be a special egg compactor or something that can store a couple eggs each, without them hatching out of it, and without going stale as well. There really isn't a good way to use eggs for food without having to micromanage the cracker to make sure you dont over crack your eggs, and ultimately kill of a species. And The auto-wrangle witht eh drop off points was definately a help last xpac, but critters are still too micomanagey because of the egg handling still.

• Like 1

Really looks like this is more a lore and interaction update. I feel we are getting very close now to finishing the game. I just checked the roadmap and most checkboxes are now checked.

I noticed that the world gen files updated so i assumed there was some world gen changes, i just make a new world each time anyway!

@turbonl64 I hope not... I really want extra elements etc. 

@Asteru I totally agree, I have no way to clear my eggs out of my ranches without worrying they are just gonna crack, and my critters have to sit expecting because of it.

Just now, BlueLance said:

I noticed that the world gen files updated so i assumed there was some world gen changes, i just make a new world each time anyway!

@turbonl64 I hope not... I really want extra elements etc. 

@Asteru I totally agree, I have no way to clear my eggs out of my ranches without worrying they are just gonna crack, and my critters have to sit expecting because of it.

We'll probably get more space tech. Maybe the endgame goal is to build a spaceship (to get off the asteroid), which requires highly refined materials and rocket fuel? That alone would require a whole bunch of new structures and content.

55 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

I totally agree, I have no way to clear my eggs out of my ranches without worrying they are just gonna crack, and my critters have to sit expecting because of it.

What happened to the patch that fixed that? I distinctly remember a patchnote that said that eggs on the ground would no longer count towards stable population.

Just now, Ambaire said:

What happened to the patch that fixed that? I distinctly remember a patchnote that said that eggs on the ground would no longer count towards stable population.

I remember that as well, but they do not count towards making them overcrowded, instead they count towards it making them expecting.

The problem with the current expecting status is that it affects all critters in the room. In a full room, as soon as one egg gets laid, all egg production completely stops. 

I like the idea and think it makes sense to have the status, but I think the expecting status should only apply to the critter that laid the egg. 

I never had issues with eggs. Usually I run full ranches of a species. Whenever they get to be expecting, I mark one egg with a priority 9 sweep and select it at the egg cracker. The egg will be picked up and no other.

can you please set the debug-logging in this pre-alpha-updates to opt-out? Its hard to "test", when my game runs with 2-5fps.

When i find an error, i try to reproduce it and can reenable logging then.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Soulwind said:

The problem with the current expecting status is that it affects all critters in the room. In a full room, as soon as one egg gets laid, all egg production completely stops. 

I like the idea and think it makes sense to have the status, but I think the expecting status should only apply to the critter that laid the egg. 

Expecting is just the fancy name for Overcrowding Soon. It just means that when that egg is laid, if it hatches then all the critters will be overcrowded.

image.png.769e857a4a7a8231d07a288d78ab4107.png

I think they should just remove expecting from the game; it was introduced to fix an overcrowding problem so that you wouldn't have to micro your ranchers. But now, that problem is just gone to begin with, since all you need is one or two settings to manage overcrowding.

Just take expecting out.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, avc15 said:

I think they should just remove expecting from the game; it was introduced to fix an overcrowding problem so that you wouldn't have to micro your ranchers. But now, that problem is just gone to begin with, since all you need is one or two settings to manage overcrowding.

Just take expecting out.

...That literally makes no sense. They added the expecting status because it tells the player that the critters will be overcrowded when the egg hatches. Eggs count as (proto)critters, until they either hatch, are cracked, or relocated.

• Like 1

Performance took a big hit this update. I'm sure it's because it's not fine tuned yet and potentially buggy, but thought it was worth mentioning.  This is on a 500+ cycle save, with huge amounts of water.  Other than that, I'm excited to see the dupes getting some personalities and interaction.  Hopefully they continue to add interactions between them.  Seeing dupes pair off into couples, for instance, forming relationships where they want to sleep in the same room or bed together would be a fun addition.  Also, some sort of critter that lives in the cold biomes would be interesting to see, as almost every other biome as some critter living in it.

This continues to be a fun game to restart (which I'm about to) and see an entirely new set of challenges every time.  Thanks for the hard work, Klei.

16 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

Would love to see the water cooler implemented as some kind of rehydration building

=> Giving the dupes a daily need for fresh water  (Maybe even make dupes water neutral = Let them consume ~6,7l each cycle)

I am against water needs as the balance for water consumption is based around food and oxygen. If you try hard enough, it is possible to love without water, but of course that means lousy food quality and large amounts of algae production. Adding a water need basically gives a need for water consumption for no appearant reason, which in the end, doesn’t even add that much.

1 minute ago, Alfons100 said:

If you try hard enough, it is possible to love without water, but of course that means lousy food quality and large amounts of algae production

The only possible source of oxygen without a need for water would be polluted oxygen.

(If you want to use algae you will need to process some slime => You create more water)

7 minutes ago, Alfons100 said:

I am against water needs as the balance for water consumption is based around food and oxygen.

Water consumption should be based around food and oxygen, but why should dupes produce water ?

(Right now we have to build something to process the additional water and we have a water cooler, which uses a specific amount of water to improve the quality of life.

So my idea was that you have 2 options:

A) You build no water cooler, reduce the quality of life and each (normal) duplicant produces some extra water each cycle.

B) You build a water cooler, improve the quality of life and each (normal) duplicant is a bit happier/ more productive)