Wish Shadow Splumonkeys Were Remotely Fair

13 hours ago, Renegade_Doll said:

I just had a playthrough that was game over'd in a single moment because the nightmare cycle started as I was entering the ruins, six Shadow Splumonkeys chased me, and I spent four minutes running all over the entire ruins trying to get them off me while gradually freezing to death because it was near winter and the cave rain had not stopped for over a day. So I died, because I literally had no way of surviving; I could not fight them because the horde was too large and would just stunlock me so I could not even attack, and I couldn't stop the damage ticking because anytime I tried to create a fire they would just hit me. And they chased me, for four minutes, through the whole ruins until I died.

If only there was a way to damage enemies while running away from them.  Like laying a field of tooth traps beforehand.  Or beemines.  Or tentacles. 

11 hours ago, cropo said:

I don't think you should be complaining about the difficulty of the ruins when you entered them near the start of Winter.   That would be like me going into the Water Temple in Ocarina of Time and not wearing a Blue Tunic and then complaining the temple is unfair and cheaty.

If drowning is a threat to you in the Water Temple, either you don't have enough health, or you're not moving fast enough, or both.  Like the no atmosphere sections of Dead Space, it's never really an issue.

5 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

what do you expect then?? A siren with two flying pink rhynos dressed as superman telling u with trumpets and a banjo that Splumonkeys are about to change?

Such an unusual description can only mean one thing: you're throwing down the gauntlet to minespatch, aren't you?

20 hours ago, Renegade_Doll said:

I have no control over the nightmare cycle and if the game does not generate any items I can use to determine the nightmare cycle in its current state;

Here's every way that you could have determined the nightmare cycle's state before you got anywhere near Splumonkeys:
- Slurpers' mouths will change from purple to red.
- Depths Worms will change from purple to red.
- Literally anything with purple on it will turn red. Even the war paint on the Gladiator character skins will glow red.
- The entire ruins will get a red tint during the nightmare cycle's peak, and a very light blue tint whenever it starts to calm down. This is most noticeable in the muddy biome near the ruins entrance.
(These are tips for next time, not an attempt to belittle you. It took me 600 hours before I even went to the ruins without coffee, I can't judge anyone here :p.)

22 hours ago, Renegade_Doll said:

Yeah, bad decision was going near this content. Because, the best kind of content in a game is that which players exclusively have to try to not interact with because of how overpowered it is. Reasonable right. Sure.

why is it that red caps kill me when i eat them

really bad decision to allow a feature to make content i cant use clay

20 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

what do you expect then?? A siren with two flying pink rhynos dressed as superman telling u with trumpets and a banjo that Splumonkeys are about to change?

14 hours ago, TemporaryMan said:

Such an unusual description can only mean one thing: you're throwing down the gauntlet to minespatch, aren't you?

11 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

not really but now that I think about it ... I summon u artist extraordinaire! @minespatch

We'll see.57c2ad5a07750_arielIDface.png.e651309f8eda0362b78b112fd7cf90e2.png

5a1a0f57813d9_arielartexcuse.png.565c9d5c81b1bd4aec88da4086af6b12.png

22 hours ago, Faintly Macabre said:

On the other hand, Winter's Feast enables gift wrapping.

Players not comfortable killing the bee queen, TAKE HEED! Gift wrap is OP! Craft a ton of it while you can!

10 hours ago, JellyUltra said:

- Literally anything with purple on it will turn red. Even the war paint on the Gladiator character skins will glow red.

GLADIATOR SKINS PAY2WIN CONFIRMED.

OP made his mind up and just came here to publish his manifesto, don't mind his salt. Lots of useful tips on dealing with them here, though. Shadow monkeys are my hated nemesis as they never de-aggro, but eating their soft flesh and precious bananas after Sister smites them en-mass is ever-so-satisfying.

40 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

Honestly, I was about to say something like that, but this topic is getting too toxic by now...

Well if OP would have rephrased first post into something on the line of "hmm, I did a mistake with going into ruins, was caught underprepared by Shadowmonkeys, pls give some good tips for future" instead of "Shadowmonkeys are overpowered, their AI is cheaty, pls nerf monkeys, I did everything well and still got killed by them" am sure none of the late irony and  making-fun-of would have occurred.

Even though Shadow/Monkeys are pretty annoying, they offer a good challenge for Village/Wilds, as it should be for a place supposedly hard-to-conquer. One must profess tenacity and good strategies in order obtain that fine Ruins loot, otherwise is just meaningless, gratuitous "pat on the back". Ruins are supposed to be mid/late game content when you go there very much up to said dare, or rush-run early on if you have the knowledge and minimal preparations. Clearly OP had none of it (appears OP didn't even knew how to interpret the visual and audio queues for Nightmare Cycle), panicked about Shadowmonkeys and ran inwards, into even more hectic danger. And predictably died.

21 minutes ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

Well if OP would have rephrased first post into something on the line of "hmm, I did a mistake with going into ruins, was caught underprepared by Shadowmonkeys, pls give some good tips for future" instead of "Shadowmonkeys are overpowered, their AI is cheaty, pls nerf monkeys, I did everything well and still got killed by them" am sure none of the late irony and  making-fun-of would have occurred.

[...]

It's clear that OP made a mistake and instead of learning they are just complaining here, and we used irony to show it them as well. But I think it's getting too much now and rather turning toxic.

Easy way is to bring lock lobster to monkeys' biome and fence it tightly. Every nightmare phase monkeys will aggro on lobser that acts as substitute for second player. Now you can just kill monkeys one by one. Dark Sword sounds the best, they die on two hits.
 And as Freya and others said, monkeys are great source of stuff. Later you can hammer useless monkey houses and leave some cluster. Wall it, place houndius shootius and enjoy your free loot.

As a tip for later in, if you have half-decent ping shadow monkeys are very easy to kite with speed boost. All I had on with magiluminescence (wasn't using a cane) and the timing to not get hit by the giant mob of monkeys was veeeery loose. Let 'em catch up and smack 'em once, then resume running for just a second. Their attack is pretty slow.

Walking Cane should be fine as long as you swap fast, especially since you don't need to run up to attack them, only to get away. It's easier to mess up since you have to actively swap, but you won't have a magilum at first, sooo.

Rock Lobsters can work too, it's just that the splumonkeys need to aggro on them and not you. The lobsters are so slow it's hard to get them to hit a splumonkey while running in a circle around the lobster.

Archived