Wish Shadow Splumonkeys Were Remotely Fair

Alright, folks, some good advice in here, some questionable, but there's some people stepping a little too close to the line of being "Sarcastically funny" and "Just Mean-Spirited", so let's remember to keep things calm and constructive.

1 hour ago, Tumalu said:

Rock Lobsters can work too, it's just that the splumonkeys need to aggro on them and not you. The lobsters are so slow it's hard to get them to hit a splumonkey while running in a circle around the lobster.

I meant fencing lobster and making it punching bag. His purpouse is not to kill monkeys but to attract them. They'll keep biting him blindly (he'll be fine) and you can take that as your advantage. Just kill busy monkeys one by one.

On 20. 12. 2017 at 11:19 AM, Rellimarual said:

This info is seriously outdated. Bundling wrap can only be made after killing the bee queen or (maybe) Klaus. Also, fish sticks will go bad too quickly. Pirogis are a much longer-lasting healing food. Jerky will also help with sanity and stay fresh a while.

On 20. 12. 2017 at 12:11 PM, Cyberboy2000 said:

Bundling wrap needs a blueprint which Bee Queen drops.

On 20. 12. 2017 at 1:11 PM, Rellimarual said:

Telling someone who can’t even manage splumonkeys and the nightmare cycle that they should kill the bee queen to get bundling wrap is not that helpful. Many, many months ago, the bundling wrap recipe could be made with a science machine, but that’s not the case anymore, and that seems to be what the poster had in mind. A honeycomb is absolutely useless to the OP. It’s true that you can use gift wrap now, but only for a handful of weeks.

Or they could just make pirogis! Or jerky! Or just bring a stack of honey. All of those foods should last long enough for a quick trip to the ruins. Literally, “Kill Bee Queen to get bundling wrap so you can take fish sticks to the ruins” is a joke that belongs in the Inefficient Advice thread.

Well you got me... I haven't played the game for a while and forgot that the blueprint drops from bee queen to make a bundling wrap and confused it with plain wax paper. Also are fishsticks spoiling faster now? Serious question

Thanks for correction though

7 hours ago, Auth said:

Alright, folks, some good advice in here, some questionable, but there's some people stepping a little too close to the line of being "Sarcastically funny" and "Just Mean-Spirited", so let's remember to keep things calm and constructive.

Frankly I’ve been pleasantly surprised that people haven’t been pretending that OP’s issues aren’t just inexperience and user error.

Too often this forum turns into a saccharine hugbox where critical thinking and personal responsibility come to die, so thank you for your moralistic hand-wringing over light teasing.

To OP I would offer some broadly-applicable advice to never retreat into unknown territory.  Fleeing one problem into another is probably the fastest way to turn a slightly bad situation into a far worse one.  Particularly with ruin diving, fleeing splumonkies into shadows and clockworks can quickly make for a swift death, but this advice also is quite helpful for games like dark souls as well.  

5 minutes ago, Toros said:

Frankly I’ve been pleasantly surprised that people haven’t been pretending that OP’s issues aren’t just inexperience and user error.

Too often this forum turns into a saccharine hugbox where critical thinking and personal responsibility come to die, so thank you for your moralistic hand-wringing over light teasing.

I'm saying this because I've seen tons of content ringed out more harshly with warning points and thread closure because of unnecessary negativity just ultimately spiraling down into burning chaos, as seems to commonly happen on these forums. "Light teasing" can often turn into a dogpile of disrespect on here, and if you read threads that were locked down you can see exactly what I mean. It only takes a couple of people saying some sarcastic jokes, someone goes to far, someone takes it the wrong way, kaboom. You don't have to treat someone like a fragile snowflake to show them some common respect while you're talking, and not speaking to them as though they're a toddler that is literally incapable of understanding what you're saying without coddling them. Calling people out and insulting them for not knowing any better is incredibly disrespectful and shouldn't be tolerated in general. This game is full of learning experiences, you're meant to learn from your mistakes, not be ridiculed and laughed at because you weren't aware of how the world works. That would be like tripping over your laces and then you're publicly shunned and humiliated by it, and learning how to tie your shoes better is infinitely more helpful to the situation. And if you think that critical thinking posts come to die here, then you are sorely mistaken, because I see shining examples of it in tons of threads that sprout up. 

32 minutes ago, Auth said:

I'm saying this because I've seen tons of content ringed out more harshly with warning points and thread closure because of unnecessary negativity just ultimately spiraling down into burning chaos, as seems to commonly happen on these forums. "Light teasing" can often turn into a dogpile of disrespect on here, and if you read threads that were locked down you can see exactly what I mean. It only takes a couple of people saying some sarcastic jokes, someone goes to far, someone takes it the wrong way, kaboom. You don't have to treat someone like a fragile snowflake to show them some common respect while you're talking, and not speaking to them as though they're a toddler that is literally incapable of understanding what you're saying without coddling them. Calling people out and insulting them for not knowing any better is incredibly disrespectful and shouldn't be tolerated in general. This game is full of learning experiences, you're meant to learn from your mistakes, not be ridiculed and laughed at because you weren't aware of how the world works. That would be like tripping over your laces and then you're publicly shunned and humiliated by it, and learning how to tie your shoes better is infinitely more helpful to the situation. And if you think that critical thinking posts come to die here, then you are sorely mistaken, because I see shining examples of it in tons of threads that sprout up. 

A more advanced and nuanced perspective than the one you have would understand that OP was teased not because they were having difficulty, but because they came in with a sour attitude to complain about a mechanic they don’t understand.

The way we present ourselves can evoke certain responses, and someone who comes in asking for advice in a pleasant and earnest way (and not about things so simple that the wiki should be sufficient) never has evoked much of a negative response that I’ve seen.

It’s been interesting for me to see which threads lead to meaningful discussion and which lead to chaos, but to say there are shining examples of critical thinking only tells me that your standards for such are low.

Particularly in small communities, shunning and humiliation are actually powerful tools for discouraging undesirable behavior and like most tools applying intrinsic morality instead of judging by their use is poor practice.

If we assume these forums have a problem, your and OP’s attitudes are the cause.  The goal of the teasing is that hopefully OP won’t come in so salty the next time he dies, and instead will be appreciative of the advice given.

In the 2+ years I spent doing social work helping families involved in child protective services I saw first hand and repeatedly how important it is to encourage taking responsibility for the things an individual can control and how unhelpful it is to allow them to make excuses about things not being fair.  You know what isn’t fair?  An infant born addicted to opiates, or with ten fractured ribs because when a worker told mom she shouldn’t let her mentally ill boyfriend watch their children unsupervised she didn’t listen.

So please, tell me again why teasing OP for being salty about dying in a videogame but then giving him advice constitutes a real problem and that I should take your public service announcement seriously.

18 minutes ago, Toros said:

So please, tell me again why teasing OP for being salty about dying in a videogame but then giving him advice constitutes a real problem and that I should take your public service announcement seriously.

Because you're making personal insults to someone that's mad at a general item. And getting people to take responsibility doesn't always have to be through scolding them or treating them like a deaf infant, it can be as simple as "Well, you died. You need to learn how to deal with this better, here's how:" not "Ha ha lol you died due to inexperience you suck at the game lmao" 

I am by no means saying his behavior was acceptable to begin with, however, it's no reason for a hostile and personally rude response from people. In my (I don't care to count) years of experience of dealing with people, I know that talking down to someone and mocking them or just generally being hostile in general is a very uphill road to getting someone with a differing opinion to even listen to you. I'm not saying act like nothing's wrong, I'm not saying give them a gold star for so much as breathing, I'm not saying to wrap them in a blanket while calmly whispering sweet nothings of "It's okay, it's okay" in their ear. However, I am saying there's no reason for you to talk down to someone and insult them. If someone comes in rude, generally starting off and continuing to be constructive will have them open up on their own and see their own faults. There is absolutely no need to not be unkind to them, they didn't come in angry at you.

I'm not saying this is your fault. I'm not saying you don't have people skills or whatever, I'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about. I am trying to talk that, generally, you(Not being anyone personally) should treat people with common decency.

If ya got anything else to add to what I have to say, please send it to me in a PM, and we can continue to talk about it there rather than planting text walls in an irrelevant thread and causing more unrest.

11 hours ago, Brickfest said:

Well you got me... I haven't played the game for a while and forgot that the blueprint drops from bee queen to make a bundling wrap and confused it with plain wax paper. Also are fishsticks spoiling faster now? Serious question

They aren’t spoiling faster than before, but particularly in the summer, they spoil quickly, and once they turn yellow any health benefits are lost. Pierogis last twice as long and give exactly the same stats. Jerky is harder to get in the early game but also is long lasting and gives a lot of sanity, which is useful in the ruins.

6 hours ago, Auth said:

Because you're making personal insults to someone that's mad at a general item. And getting people to take responsibility doesn't always have to be through scolding them or treating them like a deaf infant, it can be as simple as "Well, you died. You need to learn how to deal with this better, here's how:" not "Ha ha lol you died due to inexperience you suck at the game lmao" 

I am by no means saying his behavior was acceptable to begin with, however, it's no reason for a hostile and personally rude response from people. In my (I don't care to count) years of experience of dealing with people, I know that talking down to someone and mocking them or just generally being hostile in general is a very uphill road to getting someone with a differing opinion to even listen to you. I'm not saying act like nothing's wrong, I'm not saying give them a gold star for so much as breathing, I'm not saying to wrap them in a blanket while calmly whispering sweet nothings of "It's okay, it's okay" in their ear. However, I am saying there's no reason for you to talk down to someone and insult them. If someone comes in rude, generally starting off and continuing to be constructive will have them open up on their own and see their own faults. There is absolutely no need to not be unkind to them, they didn't come in angry at you.

I'm not saying this is your fault. I'm not saying you don't have people skills or whatever, I'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about. I am trying to talk that, generally, you(Not being anyone personally) should treat people with common decency.

If ya got anything else to add to what I have to say, please send it to me in a PM, and we can continue to talk about it there rather than planting text walls in an irrelevant thread and causing more unrest.

I think there is a point missing here in your remarks. If OP's and following comments by the same author respond sarcastically to advice or deny basic concepts of the game like visual and auditory clues for Nightmare cycle, then it turns a bit into a complicated situation for all the other participants and it sets a particular mood for other people's responses. 

Maybe we also should look at the general attitude in OP and don't be rush on judging other people's responses. Granted, I admit I did used a "lol" here and there, but I never call people "you suck" etc, cuz that's not the point. I provided material (links, pics) and advice that I consider useful, but it's up to OP author to take it or not.

Besides, I haven't seen anyone here saying "you suck." I'm sorry but that's just a lie.

A lot of survival in this game is predicated on being able to run for a while,   I just let them chase me and wait until cycle is over. Also when depth worms spawn I go to monkeys, they really reduce population, otherwise I can destroy their homes.   I find the depth worms more annoying as they take longer to kill.

11 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

once they turn yellow any health benefits are lost.

It's sanity benefits that are completely lost at yellow; health benefits are just greatly diminished.

Anyway, I think once a topic about annoying features has devolved to a philosophical discussion on positive vs. negative reinforcement and other psychological theory it's probably time to let it go. On the topic itself, the point's been made and anything worth saying has probably already been said.

I've been going into ruins during all the seasons, in winter I just bring a thermal stone and a star callers staff, rainy season an eyebrella and a lantern.   If I can't avoid monkeys I just run until the cycle is over but usually I am in my base in the central part of the ruins before they switch to shadow monkeys on the way down.   

Archived