Winona Rework

• Max Sanity reduced to 150.
  • Special Crafting items allowed to everyone via Potter's Wheel with the same recipe and stay storable instead of carriable.
  • All Sanity increasing sources are 50% less effective (Includes sanity auras, food, sleeping, etc.)
  • Trusty Tape recipe changed to: 1 Tentacle Pelt, 2 Silk, 4 Grass.
  • Demolishing gives 25% more items of what they took to make but still not all
  • Repairing walls repairs 10% more with all items than what they originally do.
  • Doesn't start with Trusty Tapes.

New perks text for character selection:

• Is a skilled Builder.
  • Has a harder to cure mentality.

Reasoning:

The Trusty Tape takes away the traveling/time consumption of waiting for hounds to arrive and hoping to get the items or going to the desert and protecting yourself from possible sandstorms/dragonfly or moving whatever resources you need there. The recipe is extremelly easy, this new recipe gives the player another place to get items to repair if the non-renewable hound spawns have been destroyed or you don't want hounds to arrive or a similar case.

Winona's structures are decorative so I've given her more base-oriented and lore-friendly skills, either way, please remember that Balance > Lore. A better idea is to create lore and balance around that lore in the game's realism and not real realism for example for obvious reasons. These skills also go well with the faster crafting speed.

The one-shot Charlie dodge isn't useful, so base-building abilities have been given instead, for the risk, for players that want to stay sane recover sanity harder to compensate around the abilities that she has in this suggestion. Max Sanity has also been decreased to keep Winona players aware of the issue.

The Trusty Tape has been forced to craftable only but should remain always available to craft due to incoming Winonas in portals having the possibility of repairing mid/late-game/hard-to-get items when players lack stuff to repair and the tape is actually pretty repairing. This is specially important in public servers where anyone can hop in regardless of the time.

---

I want other people to tell me what they think with replies before asking @ImDaMisterL to move this to suggestions, for the time being, I request this thread to remain here unmoved to see what others have to say about this.

I think all they need to do with Winona is make her Tape work on armor and weapons. That would be all that is needed to make her a very useful character in DST. A unique ability to fix armor because we already got a kit for clothes, its not like the resources are hard to get. What she currently has is nothing special, imo. Maybe a small attack buff since she seems like a more physically fit character; like only a 10% boost. 

1 hour ago, Donko said:

I think all they need to do with Winona is make her Tape work on armor and weapons.

This. Maybe limited to just basic armor and tools, otherwise you'll get bee queen hat, bone helm,  thelucite crown, etc, just once and never again, damaging the raid boss and grinding idea.
Tape should work on basic tools, spears, log suits and football/battle helms, along with clothing. Early-mid game advantage. I agree that if tape becomes better, making it should be more expensive.

1 hour ago, Lumina said:

I'm still in favor of something related to clockwork monster

And this.

Option A: powerful character
Befriending clockworks with gears, and perhaps building (resource intensive) knight clockworks that she can befriend with a gear as well. Repopulating areas with aggresive clockworks (much like wicker's tentacles) or befriending and using them to fight stuff would be her late game thing, once you've raided enough ruins.
Con: Less healing gained from all sources?

You have there a new wickerbottom that at least I'd like to play with.

My Option B -much less powerful character- idea is making her tape more expensive but work on basic armor and weapons as described above, and making her speedcraft thing to allow her to make groups of things, lets say "shift-craft" and you make 5 of whatever you chose, as long as you have the materials, or the highest number closer to 5 according to the amount of materials you got.
Con: no sanity from food items.

This rework idea is terrible.

Tape doesn't need a nerf (you made it expensive without buffing).  By the time you have clothing worth sewing you have plenty of sewing kits.

No one repairs walls.  It's not ever worth the resources compared to demolish and replace.

Winona doesn't need more downsides, she needs upsides.

What if the tape could fix higher tier items (including armors/helmets and maybe weapons), but an item could only be fixed by the mending tape once?
That way not only would the mending tape be really useful - because it would make items twice as durable - , while still having a limit per item, but it would also not overshadow sewing kit's place in the game since sewing kits could keep fixing cloths items indefinitely - like they can do right now -, while mending tapes could only fix them one time.

My english is not really great, sorry if the wording is somehow bad/hard to understand :I

21 minutes ago, Toros said:

This rework idea is terrible.

Tape doesn't need a nerf (you made it expensive without buffing).  By the time you have clothing worth sewing you have plenty of sewing kits.

No one repairs walls.  It's not ever worth the resources compared to demolish and replace.

Winona doesn't need more downsides, she needs upsides.

oh boi, waiting for thousands winona rework mods in workshop

4 minutes ago, Picklesaurus said:

What if the tape could fix higher tier items (including armors/helmets and maybe weapons), but an item could only be fixed by the mending tape once?
That way not only would the mending tape be really useful - because it would make items twice as durable - , while still having a limit per item, but it would also not overshadow sewing kit's place in the game since sewing kits could keep fixing cloths items indefinitely - like they can do right now -, while mending tapes could only fix them one time.

My english is not really great, sorry if the wording is somehow bad/hard to understand :I

If Winona's tape could repair anything but needed somewhat expensive items (like papyrus and snot) she would be in a much better place.

Remember, there's nothing that isn't renewable via firefly and ruins regeneration.

One aspect people ignore about Winona's Trusty Tape is the fact they work very well with spelunking players / players that spend most if not all of their times in Caves/Ruins: no more need to bother about hound teeth. But beside that she is just a Wilson who builds 0.5s faster yet without beard aka no insulation bonus during winter.

Also the weekly skin drops rarity has been increased +1 these days, courtesy of ..Winona :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Befriending clockworks with gears

You can actually already do this with damaged clockworks. Damaged clockworks can be repaired using 3 gears, which will also befriend them. Sadly, they only exist in the ruins, so you can't bring them up to the surface. (unless you're playing single player of course)

53 minutes ago, Rily said:

really? how is that? that means that I can get 4 classys instead of my 4 regular commons?

I think they're referring to how her skins are added into the skin drops? 3 heads, 3 body pieces. 6 total. Effectively making things more rare.

I dunno tbh. If that was the case I'd expect them to say 6. Not sure what they meant.

42 minutes ago, KoreanWaffles said:

You can actually already do this with damaged clockworks. Damaged clockworks can be repaired using 3 gears, which will also befriend them. Sadly, they only exist in the ruins, so you can't bring them up to the surface. (unless you're playing single player of course)

I know but her perk would allow her to "hack" any kind of active clockworks, not just the broken ones of the ruins. To prevent this perk from eventually becoming useless (in caveless worlds for example) she could also be able to craft new knights, at a higher cost: 3 gears, 2 doodads, plus one gear to befriend it for half a day of loyalty.

Any major buff would require a major con for her, of course.

5 hours ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

One aspect people ignore about Winona's Trusty Tape is the fact they work very well with spelunking players / players that spend most if not all of their times in Caves/Ruins: no more need to bother about hound teeth.

Most people ignore it, but not all. It was already mentioned a few times. But it's still a minor perk. It's convenient, sure, but not that much. Either you are in a classic world (surface and cave) and a sewing kit last a long time, or you are in a cave only world and there isn't a lot of cloth needing repair that you can craft anyway.

2 hours ago, KoreanWaffles said:

Yes, but it would have been nice if she could use only 1 gear to befriend them instead of 3. A nice touch, not too powerful, but fitting her theme.

idea: all of winona's perks are jokes because they're just there to foreshadow lore stuff like her repairing a portal with tape, getting sucked in and meeting Charlie, dodging Charlie, making a spear before getting assimilated into Charlie and being removed from character select forever

Or just buff her speed thing to also include dropping and picking up items/collecting resources like grass and twigs. She's a factory worker, she should be fast and efficient in not only making things but also grabbing things to make said things. I see her as a character that has learnt to be quick and time saving after being in the factory for a while, and this characteristic should not be only limited to building things. This buff in the perk will be useful, even in late game and will certainly make me want to try her out more.

Archived