Solo Bee Queen Speedrun Kill on Day 6

Hey there, Starverinos! I've got a fresh solo Bee Queen speedrun for ya:

As usual, here is a timestamp to the fight if you want to skip ahead: https://youtu.be/rbYyUFe3FvA?t=2612

First off, I want to say that the Bee Queen is an insanely fun battle. Major props and potato cup trophies to the devs who designed her! 

I haven't had much time in the past few weeks, so it's taken longer than I would have liked to get a decent run, especially with Klei changing up the mechanics. Originally I was using a flingomatic and a torch -- quick-swapping to the torch to smack the Queen with fire, and using her ignited body to set off the flingomatic. It was a very tough fight, but still feasible. That is, until Klei introduced the trail of honey. 

The honey drastically hinders movement speed, so it becomes extremely difficult to maneuver around the Queen during the last two stages when the grumble bees are triggered hardcore, or at least it's extremely difficult solo, in the early game, without speedboosting ruins or winter gear (or even the timeless strat of using star caller's staffs to summon dwarf stars for an endless barrage of snowballs from flingomatics). 

The new method I came up with probably seems a bit esoteric, but I've been familiar with the mechanics behind the strategy for a while because I'm addicted to megabases, so I've built several bee enclosures over the years. If you aren't aware, bee enclosures are tricky because when bees are totally enclosed in walls, they pass right through them as if they weren't even there. But if you open up a single exit for the bees, they will then honor the physicality of the walls and prefer to use the exit. With this fact, you can manipulate the movement of bees in useful and hilarious ways. 

I whipped up a photorealistic drawing in ms paint to explain more clearly:

rrg3Whh.png

I'm not sure if the fight looks easy, but it's still decently challenging controlling the flow of bees, the position of the Queen, etc. Plus I'm not sure how applicable this method would be for a team of players, since controlling who the Queen and grumble bees are aggroed on might be confusing; it'd probably be better to just forego the walls since it's an easy team fight anyway. So yeah, pls no remove devs, this is an interesting strat.. but if you are tempted to snip away cheese, there are far cheesier methods, a few of which I've compiled into a separate video: 

Thanks for reading! Enjoy the speedrun! 

15 hours ago, KoreanWaffles said:

Stop being such a god
You're making the rest of us look bad

This is good for the devs to figure out ways to git rid of exploits, if you ask me. Just make bees or at least the grumble ones not follow wall, gate or fence paths and this method is no longer viable.

4 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

This is good for the devs to figure out ways to git rid of exploits, if you ask me. Just make bees or at least the grumble ones not follow wall, gate or fence paths and this method is no longer viable.

Yeah, you could nullify this strat, but it's only really viable for solo fights, and there are other methods that are pure cheese, so getting rid of the fences in particular makes little sense. I mean, I remember back in the day the dragonfly walls strat was lauded even by some devs, but there was no way for the lavae minions to get to you, so literally the only thing you had to do was hold down attack; this one at least requires careful design, split attention between minions and boss and controlling the flow of minions, fighting of minions as they come around, spawning of more minions when there are less than 8 or if too much distance is created, etc. If this method is such cheese, it's at least as challenging as holding F with a team of players. 

But if they get rid of this method, then fine. There are plenty more to choose from. The flingomatic strat I showed in in the other video at least looks impressive. I just like this one the most because I think it's interesting. 

I think the biggest issue with Queen Bee is that she doesn't really give much in return. Renewable honeycombs, jellybeans are ok but I wouldn't fight her for them tbh, and the Queen Hat is nifty but not the drop you'd expect from this kind of a boss.

Nonetheless I enjoyed seeing you kill it like this. It's a strat I'd call clever more than cheesing(which also requires some effort so that's good in my book), and it was pretty fun to see you handle the queen itself.

15 hours ago, BluesyBuesy said:

Yeah, you could nullify this strat, but it's only really viable for solo fights, and there are other methods that are pure cheese, so getting rid of the fences in particular makes little sense. I mean, I remember back in the day the dragonfly walls strat was lauded even by some devs, but there was no way for the lavae minions to get to you, so literally the only thing you had to do was hold down attack; this one at least requires careful design, split attention between minions and boss and controlling the flow of minions, fighting of minions as they come around, spawning of more minions when there are less than 8 or if too much distance is created, etc. If this method is such cheese, it's at least as challenging as holding F with a team of players. 

But if they get rid of this method, then fine. There are plenty more to choose from. The flingomatic strat I showed in in the other video at least looks impressive. I just like this one the most because I think it's interesting. 

The flingomatic method was very effective with Wes!

Awesome, the use of fences is pretty clever, I like how some grumble bees get stuck in the fences, they are like: "what do I do!? protect the queen!... left!, right!, left!, right! [their brains overheats]"

your youtube channel should be in a link in the Don't starve and Don't starve together startup screen.

Archived