Spoiled Rotten (Jan 15 Update)

Kevin

This is all really awesome, especially the changes made to beefalos. And rotting food will probably be anoying, however, it really adds to the "realism" and is, at least in my opinion, a necessary gameplay mechanic :D

Welcome to the forum! And that's great attitude to have towards it all, go make Maxwell proud! :)

Honey lasts longer than seeds, nonsense!

The amount of sugar in honey kills almost every bacteria, so honey has a hart time rotting. The only food sources I would add to the list of non-rotting are seeds and honey, as these can be preserved for years.

Disabling steam cloud:

Some people have reported problems with steam cloud. We have added a workaround that will cause the game to save its files in your documents directory instead. To activate this mode,

add the following two lines to your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dont_starve\settings. ini file:

[sTEAM]

DISABLECLOUD = true

This makes me so happy. Thanks!!

I found Chester straight away on the second island but i am atm playing Wolfgang and it is so hard to feed him now :C

I'm on day 26 and still havent found 4 bees to make a beebox.. I only found 2 Angrybee nests so far. Can they turn normal or something? I havent played in a while cause of the damn Steam Cloud which did not work for me.

What I would suggest is to make the special seeds have no rotting (the vegetable specific seeds the bird drops), it kind of takes a bit of use out of the special seeds. To balance it out, you could make the specific vegetable seeds not consumable.

Edited by 501105

Guys, Don't go cooking your seeds they do not heal health anymore from what I see

But uncooked seeds do and they heal a fair bit

- - - Updated - - -

What I would suggest is to make the special seeds have no rotting (the vegetable specific seeds the bird drops), it kind of takes a bit of use out of the special seeds. To balance it out, you could make the specific vegetable seeds not consumable.

Yes, It would be awesome

I don't suppose you guys would consider having a teenbird's lifespan be longer than 10 days?, It really sucks to have them leave you after all that hard work taking care of them. It would be really neat if the teenbird stage lasted longer, or the time to grow a smallbird into a smallish tallbird was shortened. Besides, if this were to be considered unbalanced, once they're smallish tallbirds, they're now carnivorous, which means they'd eat basically anything, making them hungry more often!

P.S I didn't know Smallish tallbirds were cannibalistic until they started eating the eggs I laid down to hatch. :(

Edited by Ricey

I am stil waithing and hoping that they will ad multiplayer mode :D (it would be to awensome).I am happy they made it more dificult it gets me excited ! And all the new items well done

Firstly, welcome to the forums! Secondly, they've already stated it's never going to happen. Ever. lol So I wouldn't get your hopes up or wait too long...

Also any word on when the hotfix is being released? Do they need to push it off until tomorrow?

Firstly, welcome to the forums! Secondly, they've already stated it's never going to happen. Ever. lol So I wouldn't get your hopes up or wait too long...

Also any word on when the hotfix is being released? Do they need to push it off until tomorrow?

W00tyd00d That is not correct at all! They never said that!

They only said that they currently weren't planning on adding it, they want to "perfect" the single-player experience since that's the main focus of the game.

After that, who knows they might add it, they might not, there is obviously a high demand for a co-op play ( 2-4~ ) so I wouldn't go on about spreading misleading rumors like that.

There's some things that need to be put into question if co-op would be considered, like "How would co-op players use a straw roll?, would both have to be using it for it to become daytime?", or "What would happen if another player died without a meat effigy?, would they respawn or leave the game?"

W00tyd00d That is not correct at all! They never said that!

They only said that they currently weren't planning on adding it, they want to "perfect" the single-player experience since that's the main focus of the game.

After that, who knows they might add it, they might not, there is obviously a high demand for a co-op play ( 2-4~ ) so I wouldn't go on about spreading misleading rumors like that.

Kevin's own words:

There has been a lot of talk about adding a multiplayer or co-op mode. I’d like to give our official response to this suggestion, and clear up any confusion that people might have.

As you can see from the game’s roadmap, our vision for the game does not include network play. We have promised our players an awesome single player experience, and we are devoting all of our time and resources towards fulfilling this promise. We are even committing to six months of continued support after launch, so that we can make the game even better.

Don’t Starve was designed and implemented as a single-player game. At the code level, you have to do things a lot differently if you want to play over a network. If we were to implement multiplayer now, we would have to re-architect all of this code, which would have unavoidable spill-over effects for the single player experience. This would make it harder for us to fulfil the promises that we’ve made, and compromise the overall quality of the game.

This is an amazing community, and we really value your feedback, as you can see from our constant updates and hotfixes. We have discussed and debated multiplayer A LOT within the studio. In the end, we have concluded that we can make a better game, and better support the community, if it remains single player. This is why we are not planning on adding multiplayer or co-op to Don’t Starve.

Now let’s get on with making the best single player game we can make!

I dunno man, seems he's pretty clear on just going for single player. :\ I mean you could very well be right that after the fact, if they wanted to, they could rework the code for multiplayer, but dont you think he would've mentioned that to give the people who want multiplayer hope? To me this message comes across as "Listen, we're sorry but we already made up our mind, no multiplayer."

Edited by w00tyd00d

• Developer

This is mostly some value tweaking. I think I mentioned yesterday that this would probably be needed...

Tuning:

• Health values for a lot of food items are higher! Rejoice!
  • Default stomach size reduced to 150
  • Spoilage happens *slightly* faster overall
  • Three new crockpot recipes: Honey Nuggets, Meatballs, and Fistfull of Jam
  • Teenbirds take longer to grow up
  • crockpot works a little faster

Fixes:

• Fueled hats shouldn't keep running when you reload. (You'll have to equip and unequip existing hats to reset them)
  • Tooth trap stays set across save/load
  • Cooked mandrake doesn't crash when you eat it

And some good news: app engine is back to normal, and the new Chrome update is uploading now!

Yay for hunger nerf and healthgain buff :D Ooo and faster crockpots,excellent.Also kudos for a hotfix once again 1 day after an update!

Also,is it rewarding to raise smallbirds?They just leave after they grow up(parenthood yay!)

Edited by Spazmatic

Kevin's own words:

There has been a lot of talk about adding a multiplayer or co-op mode. I’d like to give our official response to this suggestion, and clear up any confusion that people might have.

As you can see from the game’s roadmap, our vision for the game does not include network play. We have promised our players an awesome single player experience, and we are devoting all of our time and resources towards fulfilling this promise. We are even committing to six months of continued support after launch, so that we can make the game even better.

Don’t Starve was designed and implemented as a single-player game. At the code level, you have to do things a lot differently if you want to play over a network. If we were to implement multiplayer now, we would have to re-architect all of this code, which would have unavoidable spill-over effects for the single player experience. This would make it harder for us to fulfil the promises that we’ve made, and compromise the overall quality of the game.

This is an amazing community, and we really value your feedback, as you can see from our constant updates and hotfixes. We have discussed and debated multiplayer A LOT within the studio. In the end, we have concluded that we can make a better game, and better support the community, if it remains single player. This is why we are not planning on adding multiplayer or co-op to Don’t Starve.

Now let’s get on with making the best single player game we can make!

I dunno man, seems he's pretty clear on just going for single player. :\ I mean you could very well be right that after the fact, if they wanted to, they could rework the code for multiplayer, but dont you think he would've mentioned that to give the people who want multiplayer hope? To me this message comes across as "Listen, we're sorry but we already made up our mind, no multiplayer."

Easy, either they say they aren't planning it and they don't add it, people won't be disappointing or they say they are considering it for the future and people will get their hopes up high, and get VERY disappointed from the fact that it wasn't added even if it wasn't a certainty.

They leave it open with the words: "This is why we are not planning on adding multiplayer or co-op to Don’t Starve.". Key word is planning which is most likely restricted to the current road map, whilst keeping their rights to change it in the future if they decide that the will add it, which will be a happy surprise.

If we where to forward this, we should quote that line ("This is why we are not planning on adding multiplayer or co-op to Don’t Starve.") and not tell them there aren't going to be one. Ever!

It's not correct, it's not good information, preferably one could just forward them to the topic and have them read it themselves.

I'm not saying that it wasn't helpful, I'm just saying that it is not correct, because we don't know if they aren't going to add it in, ever.