Spoiled Rotten (Jan 15 Update)

Kevin

Eat meat or honey or tons of berries.

Cooking 2 meats + 2 honey in a crack pot gives you *i forget what its called* that gives you back a lot of Hp and Hunger.

I'm pretty sure it's called a Crock Pot. If it was a Crack Pot it would be an entirely different kind of game...

Meat plus Grass = Drugs :)

Also, I was thinking this for a while but I feel that selling Dont Starve at 11.99 for two copies is a bad business model. I think it's better to sell a single copy at 7.50 with 20% off to go down to 5.99 and more people will buy it. When it shows up on the steam page all people see is $11.99 and probably think "Over 10$ for an indie? No thanks!". Don't starve is a good game and your updates are good and frequent. I think at $5.99 per copy you'd sell more and word of mouth would do the rest.

Plus, not everyone has a friend they want to give the game to. Some people might think of two forced copies as a waste since they wont give it to anyone.

Think about it!

I'm pretty sure it's called a Crock Pot. If it was a Crack Pot it would be an entirely different kind of game...

Meat plus Grass = Drugs :)

True enough! I just find it very weird trying to pronounce it as Crock Pot. I dont know why. It feels more natural to spell it out as crack pot. I know that its not an excuse to misspell the word. :p

Also, I was thinking this for a while but I feel that selling Dont Starve at 11.99 for two copies is a bad business model. I think it's better to sell a single copy at 7.50 with 20% off to go down to 5.99 and more people will buy it. When it shows up on the steam page all people see is $11.99 and probably think "Over 10$ for an indie? No thanks!". Don't starve is a good game and your updates are good and frequent. I think at $5.99 per copy you'd sell more and word of mouth would do the rest.

Plus, not everyone has a friend they want to give the game to. Some people might think of two forced copies as a waste since they wont give it to anyone.

Think about it!

The thing is, you're not paying for two keys, you're paying for one and the Devs are giving you a second key as a bonus.

Hello, i've got a problem with disabling steam cloud. When i do so, i can play without a problem, but if i enable it, my saved game from disabled cloud disappears and i go back to the time when i only have 3 characters. Is there a way to get back "disabled cloud saved games" into "enabled cloud version" ?

I disabled it as Soon as i saw there were problems with the cloud, but in fact, it does work with the cloud, that's why i'd like to get my save back on enabled cloud version.

Moreover, when i enable the cloud, i'm not asked to choose older or test world generator, what is quite strange.

Thanks a lot for this game, keep up the good work !

Edited by Kuan

I find myself micro-managing my food with time I used to spend doing other (more fun) things.

How could you possibly find that to be fun?

Balance isn't always fun, but this does need some tweaking. I like the one other fourmer who made the idea of making some different foods out of levels of spoilage. It sounds more fun to me at least.

I find myself micro-managing my food with time I used to spend doing other (more fun) things. How could you possibly find that to be fun?

To me, a survival game that makes it easy to live forever is no fun. I personally think food should spoil faster than it does: the game is way too easy right now once you figure out the basics of how to play. Even with the current level of spoilage, it's pretty easy to never really think about food if you build a couple sources of food, gather all the seeds you walk past, do a little bit of crock pot cooking every night (when you can't really do anything else anyway) and keep your food in an icebox. No micromanagement required in my experience unless you try to stockpile massive amounts of food.

To me, a survival game that makes it easy to live forever is no fun. I personally think food should spoil faster than it does: the game is way too easy right now once you figure out the basics of how to play. Even with the current level of spoilage, it's pretty easy to never really think about food if you build a couple sources of food, gather all the seeds you walk past, do a little bit of crock pot cooking every night (when you can't really do anything else anyway) and keep your food in an icebox. No micromanagement required in my experience unless you try to stockpile massive amounts of food.

I think that the only thing that needs to change is a difficulty setting.. For people who want the game harder... I love this game and play as often as I can and I have only gotten to day 28... I not saying make it easier, I am just saying think of the people who aren't as good as a full on gamer and you get double the profit.

I think that the only thing that needs to change is a difficulty setting.. For people who want the game harder... I love this game and play as often as I can and I have only gotten to day 28... I not saying make it easier, I am just saying think of the people who aren't as good as a full on gamer and you get double the profit.

Because it defeats the purpose of the game? It's a niche, how are people not getting that through their skulls ( sorry for being blunt, I don't necessary mean you, people in general. )? I. DON'T. GET. IT.

Because it defeats the purpose of the game? It's a niche, how are people not getting that through their skulls ( sorry for being blunt, I don't necessary mean you, people in general. )? I. DON'T. GET. IT.

He has a point, though.

He has a point, though.

No he does not, the game is UNCOMPROMISING SURVIVAL. The entire game is based on surviving, if survival is not difficult then their is literally no game sitting here. Half the concept of dark souls if the difficulty, the difficulty IS the game, should dark souls have difficulty levels?

If anybody didn't want the game to kick them in the jewels and then spit in their face while they rolled on the ground in pain. Then why did they buy a game titles DON't STARVE, that is advertised as UNCOMPROMISING SURVIVAL?

No he does not, the game is UNCOMPROMISING SURVIVAL. The entire game is based on surviving, if survival is not difficult then their is literally no game sitting here. Half the concept of dark souls if the difficulty, the difficulty IS the game, should dark souls have difficulty levels?

If anybody didn't want the game to kick them in the jewels and then spit in their face while they rolled on the ground in pain. Then why did they buy a game titles DON't STARVE, that is advertised as UNCOMPROMISING SURVIVAL?

It's this. By watering down the experience you're only catering to an audience that the game was never DESIGNED for to begin with. What they wind up getting is a very poor sandbox game and what we wind up getting is a very poor survival game. Contrary to popular belief maximum amount of options does NOT make for a better game, all you wind up getting is a game that's spread far too thin trying to cater to people who really don't even like the genre of the game that you're trying to make. It is entirely counter productive for an indie game to do this.

They should focus on making the very best experience for an unforgiving survival game like they advertised rather than making some watered down pseudo sandbox... thing... to try and pull players from other genres. It is a waste of very limited resources to do so.

Spoilage was brought in with weak values, so as to not alienate everyone. These numbers will change over time, as we narrow in on the correct balance. If I tuned it the way I think it should be right away, everyone start flipping tables and demand an immediate hotfix :)

There are a couple of holes in the crock pot recipe list that I want to address. There's not a good distinction between morsel/meat and berry/other fruit, which leads to some out-of-whack compromise values for the products. We will also be adding more variety in there to make the results for various combinations more appropriate.

Im glad to see you responding appropriately this time. You should always be looking for small changes to bring balance in, not big sweeping ones. I think i made a few posts about this before so i won't blabber on seeing as you got the point already :D

Why don't you just make the resulting food equal the total amount you get from the ingredients? Oh wait, that's why they weren't stackable right? Damn well, good luck.

Not all spoil haters are saying make the game easier. I have no problem staying full and faster spoilage won't change that. Spoilage doesn't do a proper job if that's your goal.

It only forces you to hang out in camp more to micro-manage your food supply. I don't like my "away missions" being dictated by how much repetitive, mind numbing food management I've done in the last week.

By all means- make the game harder; but please don't confuse busy with difficulty.

you guys need to remember that the game is still in BETA, there will be a lot more of opportunity for Klei and the team to make this game harder....just chilled with the " make this and that harder " it's might be easy for us the veteran players but other ppl might not have the same skill of playing this game so Klei is trying to balance that...

Not all spoil haters are saying make the game easier. I have no problem staying full and faster spoilage won't change that. Spoilage doesn't do a proper job if that's your goal.

It only forces you to hang out in camp more to micro-manage your food supply. I don't like my "away missions" being dictated by how much repetitive, mind numbing food management I've done in the last week.

By all means- make the game harder; but please don't confuse busy with difficulty.

The game IS micromanagement, that's literally what the game is. Managing your time, managing your survival supplies. Its not a combat based game, the way the difficulty increases is making it harder to survive, the point of the game. Food spoilage makes it so you have to plan a bit more, you cant just stockpile food and then suddenly the threat of starving is non existent. Your only threats shouldn't be enemy mobs, its not a combat game, one of the primary motives for fighting mods should be more food, to eat, to survive with.

Micromanagement is the game.

I am rune factory, harvest moon veteran player, go to one of that games and you will see what is micromanagement.

Water your field everyday, feed animals everyday, keep runeys in balance, gather herbs and fruits form the world(they spawn in the same places all the time). All days in that games are very similar to each other, and I can't stop playing despite that I do the same things everyday.

I am rune factory, harvest moon veteran player, go to one of that games and you will see what is micromanagement.

Water your field everyday, feed animals everyday, keep runeys in balance, gather herbs and fruits form the world(they spawn in the same places all the time). All days in that games are very similar to each other, and I can't stop playing despite that I do the same things everyday.

Same as me, I love rune factory/Harvest Moon games