Spoiled Rotten (Jan 15 Update)

Kevin

I am pretty disappointed that honey has been pushed so much to the way side, it was such a major thing to get before and I'd spend days looking for my first hive and preparing to make a bee box. I even plant elaborate gardens near them to make my bee's happy.

I don't mind the hit to the hp Regen so much if the honey was then also used for something else special. Maybe ti be nice to see it used to make a healing item like bandages since honey is a natural antiseptic?

Refine grass + honey = bandage?

Yeah, we really need something to heal your character, there are very few things that can be used for healing now.

Yeah, we really need something to heal your character, there are very few things that can be used for healing now.

This is so untrue. Stuff like dragon fruit heals 10 each. Pomegranate is 5. Regular Meat heals 5 (though cooked only heals 1... Is this a bug Klei?). Buttermuffins heal 20. Idk how much dragonpie heals anymore, haven't made it since the patch. But there plenty of hp to be had if you just use what is available to you.

I'm disappointed to be honest, I expected spoilage to add more challenge to the game..but it actually made the game easier. Food spoils to slowly to have any impact in the game, especially since the spoil timer resets when you cook it, combine that with the new ice box and it may as well not exist at all. And the hunger meter has been enlarged.. meaning it takes longer to starve, and since spoilage has no real impact you essentially git a free hunger buff.

I'm sure this will be corrected in time however...

I'm disappointed to be honest, I expected spoilage to add more challenge to the game..but it actually made the game easier. Food spoils to slowly to have any impact in the game, especially since the spoil timer resets when you cook it, combine that with the new ice box and it may as well not exist at all. And the hunger meter has been enlarged.. meaning it takes longer to starve, and since spoilage has no real impact you essentially git a free hunger buff.

I'm sure this will be corrected in time however...

The problem with spoilage is that theres not even any punishment for EATING spoiled food. It just fills you less. If they want this to actually add any difficulty they have to make it so that you cant just cook a red morsel and have it bumped back up to fresh cooked morsel, they also need to make it so that spoiled food actually has a downside to eat. As it is now its just like "screw it this is almost bad might as well chug it all down, i'm hardly wasting any because my stomach can hold so much"

Now that i've seen the idea in action though i feel like either they should keep it the way it is or just scrap it entirely, if they try to make it even more finicky i feel like people will complain that its too much micro management.

Just reduce the stomach back to 100.

• Developer

Spoilage was brought in with weak values, so as to not alienate everyone. These numbers will change over time, as we narrow in on the correct balance. If I tuned it the way I think it should be right away, everyone start flipping tables and demand an immediate hotfix :)

There are a couple of holes in the crock pot recipe list that I want to address. There's not a good distinction between morsel/meat and berry/other fruit, which leads to some out-of-whack compromise values for the products. We will also be adding more variety in there to make the results for various combinations more appropriate.

Spoilage was brought in with weak values, so as to not alienate everyone. These numbers will change over time, as we narrow in on the correct balance. If I tuned it the way I think it should be right away, everyone start flipping tables and demand an immediate hotfix :)

There are a couple of holes in the crock pot recipe list that I want to address. There's not a good distinction between morsel/meat and berry/other fruit, which leads to some out-of-whack compromise values for the products. We will also be adding more variety in there to make the results for various combinations more appropriate.

Sounds good to me. I kind of wish that there was a way to save seeds indefinitely though. Or how about specific crop seeds you can't eat but they never spoil if you keep them in a chest or something. I just want to be able to save seeds over the winter and replant them when its possible again. Perhaps you actually can already, depending on how long winter ends up being but i don't have any of those numbers so i don't rightly know. I still think you should put the stomach back to 100 regardless though.

Im very very very sad kevin;(

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2083[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2084[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2085[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2086[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2087[/ATTACH]

Lol if you have that much stuff what do you even care. You're at the point in the game when its impossible to lose.

I started up my old world (because the chair dog isn't that interesting, honestly), and I see that the spoilage isn't harsh at all, like Kevin said. Right now, the only thing that is even mildly troublesome is leaving meat out of the icebox. And the nerf to honey was inevitable. So there is really no point in complaining about it. I probably wont play this update much at all, because there is still very little substance to the mid-to-late game, and I don't want to burn myself out, because I really enjoy Don't Starve. But I am looking forward to seeing what the devs implement next.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2088[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2089[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2090[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2091[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2092[/ATTACH]

Woah.

Looks like you were ready for the Don't Starve nuclear apocalypse. My condolences for the loss of your bomb shelter supplies. :)

Was the sound effect for attacking things changed? It sounds much softer to me then it did before.

I noticed tree chopping sounds different aswell.

Also, I think I can hear some sort of jingle when Wilson walks around but that could just be me going insane.

anyone know the stuff u need to make the ice box, mine hasn't updated yet so i can get all the stuff together:) :S

You need refined stone, wood planks, and some gold. They're not very expensive. I replaced all my food chests with ice boxes and smashed the chests for firewood. :3