Spoiled Rotten (Jan 15 Update)

Kevin

I still feel like its to easy to not starve, though I haven't played to long since the hot fix. I wasn't using farms or the crock pot, I was going mostly on berries and seeds. The hot fix is a step in the right direction though.

Kevin has said that they're easing us into the planned values for food, so expect gradual changes to food, health, hunger, etc. as time goes on. He thinks that if he suddenly dropped us with the system that they have planned, the community would collectively start flipping tables because it'd be too big and too sudden.

I love the game and I really loved the idea that was behind the last update, but now, since the value of the cooked meal does not depend on the ingredients values, and most meal regenerate plenty of HP, it's just too easy to play.

Monster meat used to require some effort to make edible... You had to get honey, and you had to use two pieces of meat, and it took some time to cook it, and the result was pretty nutritious but did not heal...

Now you just kill a spider, throw a piece of meat with some garbage - literally - 3 petals will do - to the pot, and almost instantly you have healthy and yummy meatballs.

• Developer
I love the game and I really loved the idea that was behind the last update, but now, since the value of the cooked meal does not depend on the ingredients values, and most meal regenerate plenty of HP, it's just too easy to play.

Monster meat used to require some effort to make edible... You had to get honey, and you had to use two pieces of meat, and it took some time to cook it, and the result was pretty nutritious but did not heal...

Now you just kill a spider, throw a piece of meat with some garbage - literally - 3 petals will do - to the pot, and almost instantly you have healthy and yummy meatballs.

We need to fill out the recipe roster a bit more. I think some monster-meat specific foods are in order.

Great update, thank you!

This game in my opinion lives because of those updates - I'm afraid what will be in the future when they will stop?

Now I se some issues that I think should be fixed:

- meals based on meat should be more efficient than those prepared with vegetables

- smallbirds should have added option that we could order them to stay somewhere intead of following, because when you've got 140 or some days it's impossible to survice hounds attack without losing you bird. Also I think it would be nice if they could stay with us and be strong enough to fight with enemies - not to easy but helpful - and of course limited to on at once.

- dapper vest - cost some nice materials like tooths and spider webs but give nothing?

- tooth traps are in my opinion too weak - i was running in their direction with some hounds on my back - and they triggered like 6 traps and it did nothing to them. Right now for me tooth traps are good only for rabbits but not for protection.

- seeds spoil? Why?

Hi love the game (first post btw)

I really like the things your doing whit the game, but the tall-bird leaving you is (fair but) a little sad.

i was thinking if you could put a "badly made nest" or something, it could maybe be like if a small-bird is near

the nest for like 20 sec it will use it as home (and lay it's own eggs there later) and only follow you again if hungry.

the "nest birds" will attack the stuff that attack you and let you have it's egg. (if you give it something big?)

but if the "nest bird" dies the nest will be called "grave nest" or something,

and can't be used again or respawn the bird whitout an egg being there at the time of the death.

Also is there a plan to make a pigman player?

sry if this post was too long or in the wrong place. :)

Edited by TheBirdDK
tybed play instead of plan

Hello I have just signed up to the forum recently and have had the game since mid-December.

All these updates a good and I like how quick any hotfixes are on steam. However, to get a better understanding of how these changes affect new players, I think a complete reset of the game is needed every so often. Having everything unlocked to test the new changes is great, but i have found some of the tweaking recently has made progress incredibly slow.

I am glad that the hunger meter has been increased (albeit a little nerfed with this latest hotfix) and there are some items to help with health regen, but i am not sure if they are enough to be absolutely honest with you at the lower end of unlocking items. Also, keeping the beeflo in one herd is going to make it difficult to kill the odd one or two to get meat, without being overwhelmed by the herd.

Overall though i am enjoying the game. There is plenty to do, but so far i have been unable to get past 25 days without dying. :(

Edited by Moot Point

Hi, Been Playing the Game for the First Time in a While.

Noticed something Strange, Don`t know if it`s on Purpose or anything, but It seems that all the Grass that I have planted and All the Berrybushes, don`t regrow. Though the Twigs do.

I`ve been playing for some 10 Days now on that Game.

If it takes longer for that Stuff to regrow than that, just ignore my post XD

Hi, Been Playing the Game for the First Time in a While.

Noticed something Strange, Don`t know if it`s on Purpose or anything, but It seems that all the Grass that I have planted and All the Berrybushes, don`t regrow. Though the Twigs do.

I`ve been playing for some 10 Days now on that Game.

If it takes longer for that Stuff to regrow than that, just ignore my post XD

If you replant grass and berry bushes, you need to periodically re-fertilize them. It's been that way for a while now.

It seemed like I got stuck in the shaving animation in a loop several times, could be a new bug or something. It was rather strange when it took THAT long to shave my beard.

I was playing as the robot first then switched to Wilson after several days, I wonder if that has to do with the bug if anyone can confirm that has happened to them too.

Some people have reported problems with steam cloud. We have added a workaround that will cause the game to save its files in your documents directory instead. To activate this mode,

add the following two lines to your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dont_starve\settings.ini file:

[sTEAM]

DISABLECLOUD = true

It deleted all of my data!!! :cry:

• Developer
Is anybody's Steam version working? Since the hot fix i cant play it, it makes like it opens the game then closes....

Can you post a link to your log.txt? It's in the directory with your executable.

How do i make a spoiler? The text is very long, and i dont want to flood this :p

Ok, here it is

Starting up

Don't Starve: 71515

Build Date: 2013-01-15_09-54-39

THREAD - started 'GAClient' (7152)

HttpClient::ClientThread::Main()

cGame::InitializeOnMainThread

WindowManager::Initialize

WM_SIZE

WindowManager::SetFullscreen(0, 1600, 900, 60)

WM_SIZE

SIZE_RESTORED

SystemEvent::Resize {1600, 900}

WindowManager::Resize [0] {1600, 900}

cDontStarveGame::DoGameSpecificInitialize()

cGame::StartPlaying

LOADING LUA

DoLuaFile data/scripts/main.lua

DoLuaFile loading buffer data/scripts/main.lua

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\main.lua(105,1) running main.lua

LOADING LUA SUCCESS

Reset() returning

WM_SIZE

SIZE_RESTORED

SimLuaProxy::QueryServer()

/anon/new - POST/{"character":"wendy","name":"Test name","size":"small"}

WM_SIZE

SIZE_RESTORED

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\prefabs\wendy.lua(21,1) GHOST!

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\gamelogic.lua(115,1) Day has arrived...

SAVE SUCCESS: latest

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\main.lua(531,1) Saved latest nil

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\gamelogic.lua(119,1) Day begin handled.

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\prefabs\wendy.lua(21,1) GHOST!

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\components\grower.lua(103,1) (288.70, -0.50, -492.40) 120760 - plant_normal

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\gamelogic.lua(115,1) Day has arrived...

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\main.lua(531,1) Saved latest nil

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\gamelogic.lua(119,1) Day begin handled.

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\components\grower.lua(103,1) (285.58, 0.00, -488.71) 127568 - plant_normal

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\components\grower.lua(103,1) (291.62, 0.00, -488.97) 127743 - plant_normal

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\components\grower.lua(103,1) (288.54, -0.00, -485.19) 127802 - plant_normal

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\prefabs\wendy.lua(27,1) No ghost; the stars say so!

SendProfileStats::{"stats":{"nights_survived_iar":4,"collect_butterfly":3,"collect_bonestew":4,"collect_cutgrass":32,"collect_footballhat":1,"build_bedroll_straw":1,"collect_twigs":12,"grown_eggplant":1,"collect_torch":1,"kill_beehive":1,"build_goldenpickaxe":1,"collect_houndstooth":2,"collect_carrot_seeds":1,"collect_honey":4,"collect_boards":3,"collect_honeycomb":1,"cooked_berries":5,"collect_rocks":29,"kill_bee":4,"collect_froglegs":1,"collect_stinger":3,"collect_backpack":1,"collect_flint":12,"collect_poop":5,"collect_berries":1,"collect_goldnugget":6,"collect_cookedmeat":13,"collect_bedroll_straw":1,"time_played":1765533,"collect_petals":1,"kill_firehound":1,"collect_pomegranate_seeds":1,"collect_meat":1,"collect_monstermeat":2,"collect_butterflywings":1,"collect_beehat":1,"build_rope":4,"collect_eggplant":1,"collect_log":4,"collect_beefalohat":1,"cooked_seeds":15,"collect_bee":4,"build_farmplot3":3,"collect_seeds":26,"collect_pinecone":3,"collect_rope":4,"build_cutstone":1,"collect_frogglebunwich":1,"cooked_meat":13,"collect_goldenaxe":1,"collect_berries_cooked":5,"collect_cutstone":2,"build_beebox":1,"collect_cookedsmallmeat":1,"build_icebox":1,"collect_seeds_cooked":15,"collect_carrot":1,"collect_goldenpickaxe":1,"collect_robin":3,"collect_eggplant_seeds":1,"collect_spear":1,"collect_bugnet":1,"kill_butterfly":1,"kill_hound":3,"build_boards":3}}

ReleaseAll

ReleaseAll Finished

cGame::StartPlaying

LOADING LUA

DoLuaFile data/scripts/main.lua

DoLuaFile loading buffer data/scripts/main.lua

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\main.lua(105,1) running main.lua

LOADING LUA SUCCESS

Reset() returning

ORPHANED UNKNOWN RESOURCES:

data/fonts/belisaplumilla100.zip - 1

data/fonts/belisaplumilla50.zip - 1

data/fonts/stint-ucr20.zip - 1

data/fonts/buttonfont.zip - 1

data/fonts/stint-ucr50.zip - 1

data/fonts/opensans50.zip - 1

ORPHANED UNKNOWN RESOURCES:

data/fonts/belisaplumilla100.zip - 1

data/fonts/belisaplumilla50.zip - 1

data/fonts/stint-ucr20.zip - 1

data/fonts/buttonfont.zip - 1

data/fonts/stint-ucr50.zip - 1

data/fonts/opensans50.zip - 1

HttpClient::ClientThread::Main() complete

Shutting down

It deleted all of my data!!! :cry:

I think you need to copy the data over from the steam cloud folder to the new folder that it uses for non-cloud saves, and that'd restore your world. I'm not sure what the exact instructions are, though. Maybe someone else would be able to post them.

I think you need to copy the data over from the steam cloud folder to the new folder that it uses for non-cloud saves, and that'd restore your world. I'm not sure what the exact instructions are, though. Maybe someone else would be able to post them.

By data, I mean characters and researched structures.