Spoiled Rotten (Jan 15 Update)

Kevin

Not true. If you bring a carrot to a caged bird, it gives you at least one seed that is guaranteed to grow a carrot.

Also, I really don't get why people think it's a hard game. Just learn how to play it, read on the wiki and try new tactics out. You'll find out that the game is actually quite easy at the moment, and if Klei would make it more easy, there would me no more challenge in playing the game. And what happens when there is no challenge? People get bored of it.

Hold on. So what you are saying is that if you feed a carrot to a bird, it will give me seed to grow one carrot. Brilliant, that will surely help me catch several rabbits in several traps. /golf clap

If the rate at which rabbits wander into traps has decreased after the first trapping, then there should be another way to get enough carrots to bait the traps. So the carrot respawn should be higher. There has to be some balance somewhere. In all fairness, a wiki has a part to play in learning the game, but playing the game shouldn't require you to look at a wiki for answers, and there should be a good learning curve in-game.

Hold on. So what you are saying is that if you feed a carrot to a bird, it will give me seed to grow one carrot. Brilliant, that will surely help me catch several rabbits in several traps. /golf clap

If the rate at which rabbits wander into traps has decreased after the first trapping, then there should be another way to get enough carrots to bait the traps. So the carrot respawn should be higher. There has to be some balance somewhere. In all fairness, a wiki has a part to play in learning the game, but playing the game shouldn't require you to look at a wiki for answers, and there should be a good learning curve in-game.

If you're baiting traps, you're doing it wrong. Carrots don't respawn. And birds give you 1 to 2 carrot seeds. So feed a bird 5 carrots, and you'll have 5 to 10 carrot seeds. Probably around 7 or 8, in reality. It IS pretty brilliant. It's a nice feature implemented by Klei.

I'm not saying one, I'm saying 'at least' one. You have a chance to get two carrot seeds + 1 normal seeds.

I finally figured why it wasnt launching, by mistake in properties i put set launch option and typed -console, and i though i was doing that with Gmod, but in reality it was Don't Starve, i deleted that, launched and everithing worked fine, i feel dumb now :p

i didn't noticed this before but you can get max Wilson's beard at 12.......which mean u can make 3 effigy at the same time...niceeee

p.s. i think that it was 9 at max before =)

The beards a bit bugged right now. Some people are getting 37-48 beards shavings from it.

Sooo... I had this idea that you could make a bin of 10 planks and some ropes. U could put grass in here and u can fill it to 40 grass, if you leave it in there for 30 days, you can harvest it and get the same thing as manure, but a bit better, this will be very usefull for people who have beefalos very far away, and for people have have a huge grass farm

Did the minimum system requirements change with this latest release? I last played on Monday and everything was fine. Started up tonight and everything is very laggy. There was also some sort of weirdness happening when I tried to plant saplings and grass (Wilson did this little jump back and forth a few dozen times like there was a glitch in the matrix.) I'm running the steam version, I've got an intel core duo running at 2 Ghz which puts me past the minimum listed on the website. Did the addition of the spoilage system cause that much additional load? No one's touched this computer since Monday when I last played so I'm pretty sure it's related to the new version...

• Developer
Did the minimum system requirements change with this latest release? I last played on Monday and everything was fine. Started up tonight and everything is very laggy. There was also some sort of weirdness happening when I tried to plant saplings and grass (Wilson did this little jump back and forth a few dozen times like there was a glitch in the matrix.) I'm running the steam version, I've got an intel core duo running at 2 Ghz which puts me past the minimum listed on the website. Did the addition of the spoilage system cause that much additional load? No one's touched this computer since Monday when I last played so I'm pretty sure it's related to the new version...

The game is always getting a bit slower as we add things but nothing too taxing went in this week. If you press backspace in the game the debug text will tell you your render and update timings. What kind of values are you seeing?

update is 40s or 50s if I'm just standing around with occasional spikes into the 60s or 70s.

update is 60-80 while walking around (with frequent jumps to 140 or 150 range when something happens like a tree falling or a bird taking flight, etc))

render is fairly consistently around 30s to low 50s, but jumps to 70 at times

coincidentally the game crashed while I was planting grass while looking at the debug text. Not sure if anything interesting was captured in the log, but it's reproduced below in full just in case.

Starting up

Don't Starve: 71621

Build Date: 2013-01-16_14-10-43

THREAD - started 'GAClient' (4640)

HttpClient::ClientThread::Main()

cGame::InitializeOnMainThread

WindowManager::Initialize

WM_SIZE

WindowManager::SetFullscreen(0, 1280, 720, 60)

SystemEvent::Resize {1280, 720}

WindowManager::Resize [0] {1280, 720}

cDontStarveGame::DoGameSpecificInitialize()

cGame::StartPlaying

LOADING LUA

DoLuaFile data/scripts/main.lua

DoLuaFile loading buffer data/scripts/main.lua

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\main.lua(105,1) running main.lua

LOADING LUA SUCCESS

Reset() returning

WM_SIZE

SIZE_RESTORED

SystemEvent::Resize {1280, 720}

WindowManager::Resize [0] {1280, 720}

SimLuaProxy::QueryServer()

/anon/new - POST/{"character":"wilson","name":"Test name","size":"small"}

ORPHANED UNKNOWN RESOURCES:

data/fonts/belisaplumilla100.zip - 1

data/fonts/belisaplumilla50.zip - 1

data/fonts/stint-ucr20.zip - 1

data/fonts/buttonfont.zip - 1

data/fonts/stint-ucr50.zip - 1

data/fonts/opensans50.zip - 1

ORPHANED UNKNOWN RESOURCES:

data/fonts/belisaplumilla100.zip - 1

data/fonts/belisaplumilla50.zip - 1

data/fonts/stint-ucr20.zip - 1

data/fonts/buttonfont.zip - 1

data/fonts/stint-ucr50.zip - 1

data/fonts/opensans50.zip - 1

• Developer
update is 40s or 50s if I'm just standing around with occasional spikes into the 60s or 70s.

update is 60-80 while walking around (with frequent jumps to 140 or 150 range when something happens like a tree falling or a bird taking flight, etc))

render is fairly consistently around 30s to low 50s, but jumps to 70 at times

coincidentally the game crashed while I was planting grass while looking at the debug text. Not sure if anything interesting was captured in the log, but it's reproduced below in full just in case.

Hmmmm. Those are not super great timings. For the game to run properly, Render+Update have to be less than 33 when you add them up. If I had to guess, I'd say your render time is too long, and then the game tries to compensate by simulating multiple frames per render, which puts it further behind, and then... lag town. I think I may have made it so that it can attempt more catch-up frames with the last update, but if your times are consistently too long that just makes things worse. Was the game running in slow motion for you before the last update (compared to, say, what you can see on Youtube?)

Can you post a (spoilered) dxdiag? I'm curious to see your detailed specs.

In next update, research machines will lose their ability to destroy my trash items, please make some trash bin, cause i need to trash that 10% armors and weapons somewhere.

I think we should be able to merge damaged weapons and armor together so that if for example, i have a spear at 10% i could drop it on a spear with 80% and end up having one spear at 90%

even if you only got half of the items percentage, so dropping a 10% spear on a 80% spear would only give you 85%. to try and encourage using a weapon until it breaks, but still giving the option to free up inventory space when you have a few damaged items

So i dont know hwat happend but im using chrome (mac) and i did something wich made me endlesly walk forward (w) Now im on the edge of the map and cant make a fire im going to die, i cant make an torch either?? what is happening, and can someone tell how to make a back-up on chrome?

So i dont know hwat happend but im using chrome (mac) and i did something wich made me endlesly walk forward (w) Now im on the edge of the map and cant make a fire im going to die, i cant make an torch either?? what is happening, and can someone tell how to make a back-up on chrome?

I just restarted my game to fix this, but here you go: /home/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/

That'll backup your default profile, if you use a second Chrome file backup /Chrome/Profile 2/ and so on.

Hope I helped! :3