New update "Terrors Below" now available in Beta on Steam

18 minutes ago, YouKnowWho said:

I like the new rifts being less permanently invasive, though I wish the brightshades would be the same. Could they please wilt away after a while. maybe every new moon or something?

Or better yet just have them attach to plants that would otherwise be uprooted by the rift. Help make the rift feel less empty, and allows players to decorate with plants freely again.

• Big Ups 1

Ok, another bite sized update, sure, I think that one was already planned from before, so I don't think we should've, or did, expected something different than the counterpart. Just hoping we get something more appealing next time.
Not saying that this doesn't look cool as hell, but that's another "why bother" content, at that pace I'll just wait a bunch of updates till there's enough reason to explore.

• Like 2

So, the new theme of these updates is to invent a problem and then sell us the solution?

That's... certainly one way of doing things. And here I thought the better solution would be to give us creative new stuff that changes the way we do things and gives us an incentive to try the new content.

• Like 4

I'm not sure what's your intentions, but the current situation is that the update have almost ruined the experience for those building players, which is the opposite of what you said before about making the game more fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

Not even that. You can still kill them, just don't give Wagstaff or Charlie the items they need to spawn the rifts. 

Oh didnt know they changed that. Neat I like that change a lot. Awesome.

• Like 1

Art wise the update knocks things out of the park per usual.

I'm still optimistic about the coming updates, but that is a feeling held entirely by the notion that these two parallel pieces of content are a foundation for much more. As others have said, the umbrella is rather eyebrow raising for the solution to be handed in tandem with the problem. So long as this is step one of several, that's fine (and I assume that's still the case). In fact, the introduction of an environmental effect is really cool! At least so long as it will exist as an obstacle between what we have now and the future.

The new enemies are very unique, and I continue to love the usage of additional mechanics to give combat more oomph. Kudos!

I do admit though, I don't quite see the purpose of the Shadow Rifts. Other than serving as an indicator (or minor nuisance to the proximity), the bulk of what the player will want to seek out comes from the Ink Blights. Unless there's some further interaction we'll see in the future I just don't really understand it compared to the Lunar Ones.

I also continue to be confused at the spread of equipment. The "Shadow Side" can get Dreadstone, and some armor, pre-questline. While the Moon Side can't, yet is given more tools compared to the Shadow Side. I would even go as far as to say that the Shadow Side is 'more difficult' or at the very least unfriendly comparably. The darkness of the caves + new cave environmental effects + the harder to combat enemies surprisingly result in less craftables.

I imagine more will be added later, and perhaps additions were stalled to make them more noteworthy (possibly per the criticisms of the lunar tools)?

All in all, still not a lot I can comment on in full force, but exciting developments nonetheless.

• Like 13

The main mechanic I'm looking forward to with this update is the ability to sit on the ruins chairs. Thanks Klei, this is gonna be huge for aesthetic shots! Can we also hope for the option to place objects on top of the relic table soon? A skin for the Winter's Feast Table? Mmmh

apparently, u can sit on chair...
image.png.3a2fe03e5a4ce34bccffad1211f9f8c2.png
so cute 
but i didnt think we should sit on table bowl and vase too :)
image.png.30123ca339ec2179dab51cf6a28b5302.png

animation getting on and off from chair is cute too.. but weird when u tried to walk away to get off the chair 

Edited by prettynuggets
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Health 1

8 hours ago, Uedo said:

Otherwise though, I think it's ok, It might be that I didn't notice but do Maxwells duelists receive any buff from the armour/hand slot items? The main reason I don't really use Brightshade gear is cause it offers no buff to the duelists. 

Yes, they're all tier 3 shadow gear (on-par with bone helm and bone armor), even the umbrella.

• Like 2

I like shadows, I like caves, I like shadows going rampant in the caves.

Compared to the absolutely, atrocious and God awful lunar side of this update, this one has actually useful items and interactive mechanics lol.

Also, the best of all, we got to see MOTHER appear in game. <3

• Like 3
  • Health 1

any chance to make the new shadow outfit, make terrorbeaks and crawling terror neutral, as well as the fuelwever helmet? something similar to the lunar armor that makes the gestalts neutral (like the enlightenment crown).
PS: I don't mean the new shadow creatures that appear with the shadow rift, just the terrorbeaks and crawling terror.

• Like 1